PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy spandex?

Kishiko
01-29-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm looking for stores or websites that sell spandex relatively cheap. I checked spandexworld.com and spandexhouse.com but their shipping is crazy expensive! I'm looking for gold spandex and gold fish scale print, but if they are different colors that's okay. Anyone know of a place?

Mermaid Dottie
01-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Try looking through the Tailmaking Reference thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2633-%26%239734%3B%26%239888%3BTAILMAKING-REFERENCE-INDEX%26%239888%3B%26%239734%3B-Look-here-BEFORE-you-post-any-questions!). There are other threads that have answered this question and others you might have.
You could also try looking at Joann Fabrics.

Miyu
01-29-2014, 07:17 PM
I got the spandex for my tail at Joann's... the nice, "scaley" fabric wasn't marked as swimwear, and was in the clearance bin, so I snatched some up pronto! Always check fabric content, because my fabric is exactly the same type of fabric as the nude swimsuit liner I also bought, it just wasn't labelled for swim or dance wear.

Anahita
01-29-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm voting JoAnn's if you're not liking the idea of shipping charges - since JoAnn's are almost everywhere.

Also, they often have a lot of 40-50% off coupons, which is perfect for if you're just getting a single "cut" of fabric (My favorite thing to do is get a half-off coupon and buy a whole bolt of cheap muslin, because I use that stuff for EVERYTHING as a historical costumer, and it's way easier to get it for $0.98 a yard at JoAnn's than it is to go all the way to the Garment District in LA to get it for $1 a yard - even though in LA it's wider, the hassle doesn't seem worth it)

Merperson Danny
02-17-2015, 04:39 PM
I'm buying my fabric from fabricsworldusa.com (http://fabricsworldusa.com). I don't think they have scale print, but they do have gold in metallic and shattered glass. Very nice choices, pretty cheap and the shipping is cheap (2 yards of fabric to Ireland; no shipping charges! HTF?! :D)