PDA

View Full Version : Tail skin that will fit Oceanika Merfins

Mermaid Jaffa
01-31-2014, 02:28 AM
Hi!

I'm hopeless at sewing. In fact, I have NO sewing skills! :$

Has anyone tried another brand of tail and worn it with the MerFin? Did it fit?

I'm keeping my options open, in case they change their minds about releasing those fancy tails this year.

Thanks!
~Irene

MermanZen
01-31-2014, 07:47 AM
sorry idk you might want to check the official tail making thread to see what options you might have in a tail that you don't have to do much or no sewing

Mermaid Azira
01-31-2014, 09:58 AM
I'm in the same boat. I am very bad at sewing, but want to make a neoprene skin for my mahina fin when it arrives.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-31-2014, 06:14 PM
I have an idea rolling around in my head...

Maybe we can cheat a little and just buy a plus size garment, big enough for our legs to fit in one leg. Cut the other leg off, add a zipper onto the ex crotch and then decorate it. That way if we mess it up, we still have the other leg to try again. And its not going to cost us a ton of money.

Mermaid Dottie
01-31-2014, 06:23 PM
Hey, sugarkelp, you can glue neoprene.
Just look for Aquaseal or other neoprene glues.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Which one of us is, "sugarkelp"?

Ilyena
01-31-2014, 06:48 PM
Mermaid Miel makes tail skins, maybe contact her as she lives in SA, so postage would not be as much as from an overseas place.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-31-2014, 06:55 PM
Mermaid Miel makes tail skins, maybe contact her as she lives in SA, so postage would not be as much as from an overseas place.

That's great! Though I'm kinda fussy, I haven't seen a fabric that isn't so brightly colored or flashy. I prefer muted colors like the one seen in the Oceanika Merfins videos.

Ilyena
01-31-2014, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure if she is talking any orders at the moment though, but I'm sure a special request on fabric wouldn't be too hard

Mermaid Jaffa
01-31-2014, 09:35 PM
Thnx! I'll have a look.

LaNyah
02-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Have you consicered hiring someone to make a tail for you? You could then get fabric swatches, they take your measurements, etc. I'm a professional costumer and as long as you are looking for a fabric tail (instead of silicone or latex) your options open up considerably in terms of finding someone who can do this for you.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-05-2014, 06:09 AM
Yea fabric, I'm not a strong enough swimmer yet to handle a heavy tail like silicone or latex!

I'm planning to just cheat about it anyways to save money for a 2nd more proper fabric tail, if I ever get there.

Buy a plus size leggings, sew in a zipper where I've it off the crotch part of the pants and then decorate it.

It prob sounds lame, and I do apologize to all the plus size mermaids, I do not mean to offend in any way. It just seems the only cost effective option available to me atm.

Kumori Kitsune
02-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Hope it all works glue should work

Mermaid Jaffa
02-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Hope it all works glue should work

I am not a fan of glue. Only times I use glue is for something that needed a strong quick fix.

I'll sew it on. Will prob take me ages!! But I think it will be worth it in the end, as it will be a unique piece, one of a kind.