PDA

View Full Version : Mermaids: The Body Found/The new evidence

MermaidBrandie
02-08-2014, 12:35 PM
I couldn't find a thread about it using the search. What did ya'll think about it? I loved the idea of it and how they described why things would evolved and whatnot.

Mermaid Adriel
02-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Not watched yet, but I'll do :D

CowgirlMermaid
02-08-2014, 01:06 PM
I saw it!!!! I saw then both!
I knew mermaids existed, but seeing this made me believe in them even more.
It's an amazing ducumentary.

Echidna
02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
I couldn't find a thread about it using the search.

been discussed frequently in long threads that apparently have sunk to the forum's bottom :p
It's all made up, all the stories and details (as you can probably tell from the horrible acting those guys do).

Well, maybe the part about the sonar testing is true.
Wouldn't surprise me with all those beachings :(

deepblue
02-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Yes, there are old threads about this mockumentary and its predecessor spreading false information all over the place because too many people are not reading the disclaimer.

Here is one: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5161-Mermaid-Body-Found-%28extended%29-and-Mermaids-New-Evidence

Here is another: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5163-My-Thoughts-on-Mermaids-A-Body-Found-amp-Mermaid-The-New-Evidence

Perhaps the mods can merge them.

AniaR
02-08-2014, 05:15 PM
there's been a couple threads.

I hate this series. lol

If only because animal planet pumps it like it's real science and isn't 100% fabricated. And then people get all geared up about sonar testing which is still honestly, quite murkey when it comes to actual data.

It took them over a year to cave and put a disclaimer that it wasn't real. :/ I dont think a science TV station should be allowed to do that.

deepblue
02-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Oh good grief, it took them a YEAR to add the disclaimer? I didn't even know that. They lost all credit as a 'science' channel when they did the first mockumentary, but it certainly didn't stop them.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-08-2014, 09:20 PM
i like their tails and how they blend into the ocean with those skin colors.

SeaGlass Siren
02-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Slightly off topic but Pseudo science is still science is it not? even though it's fictitious science but most crazy theories are based on real science?

deepblue
02-08-2014, 10:28 PM
No, it is not- just look at the word pseudo.

pseuˇdo
ˈso͞odō/

adjective
adjective: pseudo
not genuine; sham.

So, pseudo science essentially means it's something masquerading as science.

However, I am wondering if I've misunderstood what you meant?

This link is still my favorite place to point people to : http://deepseanews.com/2013/10/fishful-thinking-five-reasons-why-mermaids-cant-physically-exist/

I don't understand why people would get so excited over the idea that mermaids could be real anyway. They still wouldn't be a mermaid, nor could they turn into one, and if mers existed, they probably wouldn't be too fond of humanity.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-08-2014, 10:52 PM
If mermaids do exist, I think they would be more animal like and less human looking.

And I don't mean us, where we play act as mermaids.

SeaGlass Siren
02-08-2014, 11:01 PM
No, it is not- just look at the word pseudo.

pseuˇdo
ˈso͞odō/

adjective
adjective: pseudo
not genuine; sham.

So, pseudo science essentially means it's something masquerading as science.

However, I am wondering if I've misunderstood what you meant?

This link is still my favorite place to point people to : http://deepseanews.com/2013/10/fishful-thinking-five-reasons-why-mermaids-cant-physically-exist/

I don't understand why people would get so excited over the idea that mermaids could be real anyway. They still wouldn't be a mermaid, nor could they turn into one, and if mers existed, they probably wouldn't be too fond of humanity.

ok so essentially fake science but its built around what science we know about sonar testing, marine biology, other ocean science, and "the bloop" and human history. but because it' uses some "real science to back up" their pseudo science, i'm wondering if that's why discovery chose to air it.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-09-2014, 01:55 AM
I reckon they're out there. But we're still too primitive in our ways for any possibilities to happen between our species.

MermaidBrandie
02-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Yea I know it's all fake. I actually liked it because of the cheese factor, it was so obvious it was fake I'm really surprised people fell for it at all. I liked that they at least tried to have "the aquatic ape theory" make sense. Not to mention how/why they would' have evolved that way.

Mermaid Mhara
02-09-2014, 10:34 AM
This was a really fun series and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I understand why people wouldn't but it was very well thought out, and I loved the evolution of the Mermaids and their connection to dolphins and that possibly being the reason we're able to connect with them sometimes.

But the best part about this series was that after watching it a LOT of people started thinking of Mermaids as a possibility. I never put an idea to the side just because it seems unrealistic...and mermaids, to me...do NOT seem unrealistic, we have not discovered a lot of the ocean's inhabitants (and not just small ones...we also find new whale and dolphin species often!) So saying mermaids can't exist because no one's seen one is ridiculous (especially considering people HAVE seen them in recorded history sightings - and in the modern day)

So to me, this evolution and mermaids being a branch of man-kind is one very well thought out theory. I just wish people would look into further theories instead of dismissing the idea altogether of merfolk being real.

Echidna
02-09-2014, 12:19 PM
I just wish people would look into further theories instead of dismissing the idea altogether of merfolk being real.
we don't.
In fact, I get very emotional every time they get to the mythology part "we know them. we've known them all along" of the show. :p (yep, I watched several times)

what people dislike, is them throwing facts, theories, and made-up rubbish all together, and then pretending it's all real and the government banned their site, etc.

it would have been different if they had approached it like the Dragon- a Fantasy made Real.
Show the disclaimer from the beginning, and go "what if" instead of all that forced "they took our evidence!!"-dramallama...

SeaGlass Siren
02-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Here's a drama there's a drama and another little drama drama llama drama llama llama llama-duck.

Mermaid Mhara
02-15-2014, 03:38 PM
we don't.
In fact, I get very emotional every time they get to the mythology part "we know them. we've known them all along" of the show. :p (yep, I watched several times)

what people dislike, is them throwing facts, theories, and made-up rubbish all together, and then pretending it's all real and the government banned their site, etc.

it would have been different if they had approached it like the Dragon- a Fantasy made Real.
Show the disclaimer from the beginning, and go "what if" instead of all that forced "they took our evidence!!"-dramallama...

By people I meant the general public :') I grew up with a lot of siblings and was always made fun of by them, my cousins and even my parents because I believed in Mermaids, Fairies and all sorts.

My siblings have all watched this and I've sat down with them and had a LONG conversation about why this show is fake and doesn't prove they exist...and yet, now, my siblings do believe! They believe there's a possibility of them being real. And that, to me, is brilliant...the ones who made fun of me all my life finally understanding me :)

I'm curious to know which mythology they got wrong? (I haven't watched it in ageeees but I don't remember them talking much about myths and legends in it so I wanna know :3)

Paige Silvertail
03-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Man, I know it was a mockumentary, but it was still pretty darn convincing! I really loved it, all the science and creature design was so fascinating. I wonder if anyone will design a tail like the ones on the show. Maybe I will!

Mermaid Jaffa
03-05-2014, 10:57 PM
My future tail is like that...

Paige Silvertail
03-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Cool design!

Mermaid Jaffa
03-08-2014, 01:48 AM
Cool design!
Thank you!;)