PDA

View Full Version : Merman "Splash" movie?

merboy78xy
10-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Hey guys... found this by chance.
Can't tell if it's got any truth to it. Apparently it's from Variety Magazine claiming that the rights to a merman movie is being considered. The idea is that the merman comes to land to win back the mermaid that left him for a human.

Anyone heard about it before?
Here's the link:

http://io9.com/5174665/jilted-merman-sells-his-story-to-universal

jukumerboii
10-06-2011, 01:39 AM
that article is from 2009...so yea i doubt it.

merboy78xy
10-06-2011, 02:11 AM
well, I found two more sites about it, albeit both also from 2009:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118001373?refCatId=13

http://www.coronacomingattractions.com/news/universal-hooks-merman

God I would LOVE to see a movie about a merman for a change. How unique!

malinghi
10-06-2011, 08:14 AM
I think hollywood considers a lot of things that never actually get started. I wouldn't hold your breath. Shame though. That sounds like a cool premise.

Alveric
10-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Hollywood floats ideas like this occasionally to see if they take off. The recent Mer trend might lead them to pick it up again.

Alveric

The Twilight Siren
10-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I would seriously love to see that. I hope Hollywood reconsiders the idea.

Mermaid Sirena
10-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I agree that would be an awesome movie! Not the usual mermaid film which would be nice :D

merboy78xy
10-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Yeah... and while I'm waiting, I'd love to see them push the WONDERWOMAN film through too... sigh. seems like Some things never get off the ground :(

Poseidon
10-07-2011, 10:40 PM
True, I wouldn't be suprised if we got a remake of SPLASH fisrt before this happened :(

Keiris
08-01-2016, 08:21 PM
I know this is a zombie thread however, Channing Tatum has been announced as the Merman in a new twist in the remake of Splash. Ron Howard will be producing this go around. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

AniaR
08-01-2016, 11:04 PM
http://i.makeagif.com/media/2-18-2014/HhXxn4.gif

https://admin.mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/excited-baby.gif

Mermaid Julianne
08-01-2016, 11:32 PM
I don't know, as much as I'd love to see Channing as a merman, it just feels like an unnecessary remake....

Keiris
08-01-2016, 11:45 PM
LOL Raina! I'm very much looking forward to seeing it for the simple fact there will be a Merman in something for a change, and I LOVED the original.

AniaR
08-02-2016, 07:41 AM
it seems to me like a total remake though, not just a recast and a redo. Which is exciting. :) I think I remember reading somewhere it wont be called Splash either, and the plot will follow one of the earlier drafts of the film.

So really, it's a merman movie which I think is amazing!

Marinus Mortimer
08-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Found this on the net its obviously not real but cute...38474

Mermaid Julianne
08-03-2016, 09:51 AM
it seems to me like a total remake though, not just a recast and a redo. Which is exciting. :) I think I remember reading somewhere it wont be called Splash either, and the plot will follow one of the earlier drafts of the film.

So really, it's a merman movie which I think is amazing!
Ok, you sold me. I'm excited now 😊

Rett
08-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Just came to post about this! I'm so excited! :yay: :cheerleader:

Princess Kae-Leah
09-28-2016, 04:18 AM
I'm looking forward to it, as we can always need more merman representation, but I personally hope it doesn't have anything like the famous lobster scene in Splash. I know in real life Daryl Hannah is a vegetarian so I'm glad it wasn't real at least, but for many years I refused to watch that movie because it was so upsetting to me as a lover of sea creatures.

UnicornMermaid
09-13-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm looking forward to it, as we can always need more merman representation.

Me too! I really hope the movie will portray mermen as cool or sexy or interesting. There's just so few representations of mermen, and most people immediately think of mers as pretty, feminine or sexy (in a feminine way, like sirens). I think Channing Tatum seems like the right person to play a strong merman that boys see as a role model.

Echidna
09-13-2017, 04:25 PM
I know in real life Daryl Hannah is a vegetarian so I'm glad it wasn't real at least
but it was real.
They hollowed out a lobster and put some mashed potatoes in, that she puked out right after the scene was shot, the lobster was still real because apparently they were too cheap to make a life-like eatable replica out of soja or something.

I never was a fan of the movie, but even when I was a little girl and saw it the first time, I was flabbergasted at the scene, because it seemed so unnatural, and I thought it would go like she starts to cry and scream seeing another aquatic creature served as food :p

Marinus Mortimer
09-13-2017, 06:04 PM
but it was real.
They hollowed out a lobster and put some mashed potatoes in, that she puked out right after the scene was shot, the lobster was still real because apparently they were too cheap to make a life-like eatable replica out of soja or something.

I never was a fan of the movie, but even when I was a little girl and saw it the first time, I was flabbergasted at the scene, because it seemed so unnatural, and I thought it would go like she starts to cry and scream seeing another aquatic creature served as food :p

But then what would they eat under the sea to be honest the most natural assumption for me is that the would eat aquatic life but then again we're talking bout a movie lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Echidna
09-13-2017, 09:38 PM
^
it depends how you view merfolk- as waterspirits/fairies that protect their realm, like nymphs, or as a realistic aquatic ape type of creature.
The latter is probably omnivorous, and the former lives on spirit energy :p