PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos and merforming?

MysticMerman
02-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Ok... Everyone has different views on tattoos and piercings, but what about tattoos on merfolk? I've seen plenty of merpeople with tattoos, including the beautiful mermaid Meshpa (who I believe is with merbella studios???) she's got one that runs down her back. I have two questions... 1. Do you think tattoos affect getting jobs as mermaids and mermen? And 2. I'm considering getting gill slits tattooed to my rib cage... What do you think of this idea?

deepblue
02-11-2014, 09:36 PM
There are a couple threads on this subject already. Search on 'tattoo' and find these:

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5238-Tattoos-and-Body-Modifications
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?1619-Mermaid-Tattoo-s

I'm not sure how much each goes into pro mermaiding, however. You'd have to search the specific threads.

MysticMerman
02-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Ah! Thank you! :)

deepblue
02-11-2014, 09:57 PM
You're welcome.
Also, I LOVE gill slits tattoos on rib cages. :D That's just one of the more painful places for most people to get tattoos. It would be worth it, though.

MysticMerman
02-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Thank you! I really love tattoos and want to get something merman related. :) what better to do that make art that makes me a little more merman like. :)

malinghi
02-11-2014, 10:17 PM
I don't know about how it affects employability as a professional mer, but about tattoos, I'm of the opinion to make sure you'll like it before you get it, and think it over for a while. As to the idea of gill slits, I'm not sure, I'd have to see them. I'm aware of people who have gotten a patch of scaled tattoo'ed somewhere on their lower body. That's also an option, and it seems like it might be easier to recognize than gill slits.

Thalassa
02-11-2014, 10:24 PM
I think it depends on the area. In my very conservative area where most gigs are at kid parties, many parents look askance at a tattoo. Also (of course) it depends on the tattoo.

Merman Dan
02-11-2014, 10:51 PM
You guys are killing me! I want more ink! ;)

My tattoo artist will finally be back in business in a week or two, after taking maternity leave then deciding to set up her own shop.

MysticMerman
02-11-2014, 11:13 PM
I've actually thought about doing it a little over two years ago and the ideas stuck. So I think it's time to start looking deeper in to it. And the only thing that would really stop me would be working as a merman (ideally at an aquarium) and the closest thing I've been able to find is actually lady gagas me aid gill make up. Just instead of the neck, they would be on my ribs and in two sets of four.

deepblue
02-11-2014, 11:25 PM
FYI- I do recall someone on the mernetwork FB page posting about a mer who didn't get a job because of her tattoos. I think it's very much going to be a matter of where you are, who's doing the hiring, and what they want.

Of course that person was told she didn't get the job due to her tats because it was not 'realistic' but you can't argue with logic like that.

Merman Dan
02-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Does anyone else remember SeaQuest DSV, specifically the second season?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c219/Teamane/Fanart4/SQTonyt1.jpg

MysticMerman
02-11-2014, 11:43 PM
FYI- I do recall someone on the mernetwork FB page posting about a mer who didn't get a job because of her tattoos. I think it's very much going to be a matter of where you are, who's doing the hiring, and what they want.

Of course that person was told she didn't get the job due to her tats because it was not 'realistic' but you can't argue with logic like that.

Yeah, if I do this... The gills are going to be very realistic, the artist I have in mind to do them can make a Disney coloring book look like real life. Lol. He's very good at making tattoos "3-D" with shading. But that's my fear... I'd get turned down for tattoos and not maintaining the Disney merfolk look. But after reading some of the comments on previous posts, I'm not too worried. The gills could easily be covered by waterproof makeup if they're a problem I'm sure. If I get turned down still, oh well... I'll just do my own thing.

spottedcatfish
02-12-2014, 12:31 AM
That's a cool idea. If i was to get a tattoo I'd love some gills and/ or scales.

Miyu
02-12-2014, 01:22 AM
I was thinking of getting gill tattoos on my ribs as well! I impart special meanings to my tattoos, and I wanted my mermaid tattoo to symbolically help me with breathing and breath holds - I have several breathing problems, one of which is my inability to not be tense... I thought gills would be perfect, but I thought on it a while... I'm a female and as a performer/artist I sometimes wear clothing that would reveal my ribcage, and in my opinion gills could look really... hmm... gruesome? on me personally, if trying to do something a little less mermaid-y :P So I settled on scale patches, with a twist.

...Now, if only I could convince my mertender/tattoo artist to get off his gamer bum and draw up my tattoo... >.<

Mermaid Harmony
02-12-2014, 02:47 AM
I have one tattoo on my back (I have four total but only one that's visible when mermaiding). I talked to Kariel about this a while back and some hotels won't hire you to swim if you have tattoos because of family friendly policies (not arguing that), I know I haven't had any issues with parties, and I have a couple mermaids in my pod who have tattoos, and Storm fills in for me and she's fairly covered and gorgeous and if anything everyone is more excited about her tattoos because she's exotic and cool. I think she tells them she got them with pirates or something cool. There are a couple other mermaids with ink as well on the island, Citrine as well, and everyone seems to stay busy merjob wise. I know I want to get a thigh piece and my 3/4 sleeve, but I'm gonna wait till we leave Hawaii because those are going to take a couple months to do and I don't want to take months off of mermaiding when I only have a year and a half left here.

deepblue
02-12-2014, 04:04 AM
Good point- something to keep in mind- once inked, you have to keep it out of water for a bit. Make sure you get specifics from from your artist. Many recommend that you stay out of swimming pools for two weeks. Plan accordingly.

SeaNymph
02-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Oh girls, why do you all have to get yourselves tattoos? I will never understand this. You want to perform as mermaids, regardless of doing it pro or hobby, but mermaids are magical and ethereous creatures with outstanding beauty. No magical creature would ever let herself tattoo by a sailor, pirate or prisoner or pollute her beauty by other human procedures. In Europe, tattoos are still commonly worn by the lower social stratum of population. Meaning: wearing tattoos as a mermaid does never contribute to your magic or beauty but reduces you to a (very) ordinary girl in a tail. If thatīs what you want: fine. If not: care for your beauty and do not harm your skin with that ink that will eventually become dissolved and generally fits more to a bikerīs bride than to half-goddesses that mermaids are... But to answer your question: it is difficult to get pro mermaid jobs with tattoo-skin because in most countries people have higher beauty standards for performers, especially when children are involved. But Iīm not sure about mermen. Maybe the male merfolkīs tattoos are tolerated more by people... However thatīs just my two pennies... :crazy:

Merman Dan
02-12-2014, 09:18 AM
it is difficult to get pro mermaid jobs with tattoo-skin because in most countries people have higher beauty standards for performers...

I think skin illustrations are more readily accepted here in the States.

Mind you, I am a recreational merman but tattoos are part of my mer-sona, from the giant pacific octopus Aurora to Emana, a mermaid hidden within a patch of sargassum seaweed.

emma11
02-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Oh girls, why do you all have to get yourselves tattoos? I will never understand this. You want to perform as mermaids, regardless of doing it pro or hobby, but mermaids are magical and ethereous creatures with outstanding beauty. No magical creature would ever let herself tattoo by a sailor, pirate or prisoner or pollute her beauty by other human procedures. In Europe, tattoos are still commonly worn by the lower social stratum of population. Meaning: wearing tattoos as a mermaid does never contribute to your magic or beauty but reduces you to a (very) ordinary girl in a tail. If thatīs what you want: fine. If not: care for your beauty and do not harm your skin with that ink that will eventually become dissolved and generally fits more to a bikerīs bride than to half-goddesses that mermaids are... But to answer your question: it is difficult to get pro mermaid jobs with tattoo-skin because in most countries people have higher beauty standards for performers, especially when children are involved. But Iīm not sure about mermen. Maybe the male merfolkīs tattoos are tolerated more by people... However thatīs just my two pennies... :crazy:

I completely and utterly disagree with this.

First of all, this entirely is based upon your vision of mermaids. Many people would think that if they were “real” then they would be a tribal society. If so, then heck yes they will have tattoos. Of course they would! There are so many things under the sea that even point towards this. Urchin needles and octopus ink?
Including this, a lot of very successful company feature mermaids with tattoos.

And lastly, tattoos are worn by lower social stratum of your population? That's very sad to me. Tattoos are a fantastic way to take an ordinary, plain, human body, and turn it into a canvas. I have tattoos, and the only thing they have done is to highlight my beauty more. I have turned myself into a piece of art, and I showcase other stunning artist’s work on my own body.

In my opinion, letting a artist tattoo their work onto your body is the highest compliment, and also the closest one can get to becoming art yourself.

SeaNymph
02-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Yeah, Emma, thatīs my opinion, but on the other hand, the tribal stuff is only your opinion, isnīt it? Itīs sad to hear that you feel such a need for tattoo art to improve your beauty. Of course, some tattoos are great art and have beautiful patterns and pictures but if that should be the only way of "becoming art yourself" (reminds me of Lady Gaga) then it would be even more sad... I mean, if we talk about permanent tattoos. But I wonīt go into further tattoo-or-not discussion, and youīre right, everyone does have his/her own view at merfolk, just wanted to explain that it sometimes it could be difficult with every kind of body modifications in PRO mermaiding. Last but not least: I used to wear my belly-button piercing during a mermaid show and I heared a little kid shouting: "This is no real mermaid, sheīs fake, because real mermaids do not have piercings." I thought the kid was right, neither in art and books nor in films do mermaids wear this very human "body art" stuff. I think kids need mermaids to look other/better/more outerworldly than the ordinary everyday-people. What can I say, I NEVER used again my piercing in shows :p

emma11
02-12-2014, 10:38 AM
I never said that I need tattoos to improve my beauty. When my tattoos are covered I am equally attractive as when they are not. But as an artist I think tattoos are a fantastic way to showcase art upon the human body.

I'm more insulted and affronted by your comment in your first post that lower class citizens are the ones who get tattoos, since that seemed uncalled for and judge mental. 55 hours into a stunning full color back tattoo and thousands of dollars later, the last thing anyone wants to hear is that all that time, pain, money, and love made them "ordinary". Tattoos are anything but.

Depending on your audience as a pro mermaid, I agree that tattoos should be carefully thought about. As with any permanent modification to your body. I don't think that if you want a tattoo that mermaiding should stop you however. There are ways to hide tattoos easily enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echidna
02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm more insulted and affronted by your comment in your first post that lower class citizens are the ones who get tattoos, since that seemed uncalled for and judge mental.

why would you be insulted by this?
it's a reality here in Europe/Germany. It's just how it is, nothing judgmental.

That said; I think if mermaids were real, yes they would be tribal, and yes they might have tattoes.
However, if you expect to perform as a pro mermaid, the people who want to hire a mermaid most probably will not aspire to have a realistic, but a fairy-tale like mermaid.
I know of several aquariums who refused applicants who were pierced or tattoed.

And that's basically what Seanymph was saying.

Morticia Mermaid
02-12-2014, 01:18 PM
I wasn't going to input but, sadly I cannot help myself as this is a matter close to my heart. I have 5 tattoos total, 4 of them visible while swimming/working. But, every single one of my tattoos has meaning and reasoning behind them. And every time I have explained them to a potential employer, they have been completely fine with them (even during the kids birthday party I did late last year, she was turning 8). And as a biker, coming from a biker family, I found this tid bit- "If not: care for your beauty and do not harm your skin with that ink that will eventually become dissolved and generally fits more to a bikerīs bride than to half-goddesses that mermaids are..." rather insulting and offensive. I have known my fair share of biker wives that had absolutely no tattoos but, they had that nasty ugly attitude that has put such a horrid stereotype on all bikers. I feel there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting tattoos, for any reason. Any good tattoo is like getting a painting from an artist that no one can ever steal (heaven's know I have seen my fair share of tattoos I'd love to "steal"). My tattoos- I have 1 that is a family memorial (I WILL be getting more). I also have 2 religious tattoos. And, 2 personal reminders- 1 being across my collar bones that is a reminder to never be afraid to be who I am, and the 2- is a reminder to Just Breathe. And as someone who suffers from chronic depression and suicidal thoughts- I need to be reminded of both as often as I look in the mirror.I personally feel that SeaNymph could have worded her post better. But instead, she has essentially insulted every woman on here who has tattoos if they are visible or not and called them ugly. Which I find exceptionally rude. Specially when posted on a forum community that is supposed to be based on love and kindness.Oh, and side note, I'll be getting a LARGE always visible tattoo in about 2 years that will stretch the entirety of my back. It's going to be a white, purple, and red Kraken (for my love of the oceans).

Morticia Mermaid
02-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Oh, and here's my chest piece. It's not little :p every employer I have had and parents at parties actually appreciated it

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/13/ha8egeby.jpg

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

emma11
02-12-2014, 01:51 PM
I personally feel that SeaNymph could have worded her post better. But instead, she has essentially insulted every woman on here who has tattoos if they are visible or not and called them ugly. Which I find exceptionally rude.

Could not have said it better myself.

Also lovely chest piece Morticia! I'm going in a couple months to get a leg sleeve. It's time for a large color piece and I'm going for either the tree of life or an octopus. We'll see what I decide on!

Morticia Mermaid
02-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Why not both Emma :)

emma11
02-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Why not both Emma :)

That is certainly a good idea! It's a large piece either way and full color is going to take a lot of time. My tattoo artist designed both and is being no help in choosing haha. Maybe I can convince her to combine them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merman Dan
02-12-2014, 02:00 PM
When I turned 45 I got my first tattoo, a weedy seadragon. Seahorses have always been a symbol of fatherhood, for me, and the seadragons are simply magical.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5448/8878157579_a4ef8145f3.jpg
When I turned 46, I added my pacific giant octopus tattoo. In this case the octopus symbolizes motherhood, inspired by Aurora the octopus (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7502647).
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6097/6363607585_ee412ce758.jpg
When I turned 47, I started my sargassum seaweed sleeve. Hidden within the weed are numerous sea beasties, representing children.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7282/8737239718_fee332ceab.jpg
I have had four sessions on my sleeve, thus far. In the last session we added a mermaid, inspired by Tony DiTerlizzi's Spiderwick illustrations (I spoke with Tony via Facebook and he gave his blessings). She is there for my inner child.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3714/8829035076_3d4d041089.jpg
I turned 48 last November but did not get my "birthday tattoo" as my tattoo artist was out on maternity leave. She'll be back, in a few weeks, in a tattoo shop of her own. Hopefully we can finish the sleeve, do a touch-up job on the seadragon (it was done by a different artist and I want all of my ink to have Emily's style), then we're adding eggs and baby seadragons to that design and baby octopodes for Aurora. After that I want to add a two-headed dragon moray eel, an amphisbaena, placed between the seadragon and octopus to symbolize the union of marriage (my wife and I celebrated our20th anniversary last December).

My mer-sona incorporates all of these designs. They are the reason Merman Dan has a tail. One of these days I will finish my notes into a collection of short stories "Inklings: A Merman's Tale".

Morticia Mermaid
02-12-2014, 02:00 PM
I think it would look pretty awesome if you could combine them both :D

BayouMermaid
02-12-2014, 02:25 PM
I think that it depends on the kind of tattoos. Some styles just don't fit with a mermaid persona.

deepblue
02-12-2014, 02:27 PM
^True, depending on the mersona, for instance, a howling wolf doesn't make so much sense without a back story, and someone hiring you or an audience won't know the back story.

Six tattoos here, more on the way when finances allow. Mostly I need to add to what I already have.

I find it just odd that anyone would assume that they're done to improve beauty or for the effect of how others will see us. That is baffling, because of the many inked people I know, not one did it for any of that. EXCEPT- my friend who has her eyebrows tattooed on because they're damn fancy and she doesn't want to draw them every day. lol

Thing about getting inked is, it's for ourselves. I don't have them for anyone but me, and if someone sees them and judges me harshly based on them, that speaks volumes about the person they are and says nothing about me.

SeaNymph
02-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Hey, okay, I understand that your tattoos all have personal meanings for you and I donīt want to turn this into an anti-tattoo thread. My personal opinion about it is not relevant here because I do not employ mermaids or merman. Youīre right, Morticia, this forum should be based on love and kindness and, believe it or not, it was meant well. I have dealt with many clients, photographers and others and my post was meant to HELP people who want to start into pro mermaiding by wanting to make them seriosly thinking about visible tattoos. It is like Caltuna said, that many people do not approve of them (depending of the country) and my post just reflects some of their opinion. If you get jobs with any kind of body art, Iīm seriously happy for you. If my words have been rude I apologize. You do not need to believe me or follow my advice and I didnīt mean to insult anyone.

malinghi
02-12-2014, 03:47 PM
SeaNymph, thanks for clarifying what you were saying. I can see how some of the things you wrote earlier in the thread could appear rude, but as you said I don't think you meant any offense by it.

It is interesting that tattoos have such a different reputation in Europe. In the US they are very popular among all social classes. Also, I think tattoos can totally be incorporated into fantasy works. Did anyone else here watch the show Young Justice? Aqualad is from Atlantis, and he has tattoos over his arms. His tattoos are actually connected to Atlantian magic, and they glow when he uses his powers.

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130319213804/youngjustice/images/7/75/Aqualad_and_Nightwing.pnghttp://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101204212123/dcmovies/images/e/e6/YJID_Aqualad.jpg

Oh, and while he's not an aquatic character, I just want to point out that Aang from Avatar also has awesome tattoos that glow when he uses his powers. Clearly tattoos aren't as taboo in the US as they used to be, cause Aang is 12 years old.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/Avatar_Aang.png

Mermaid Dottie
02-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Aang is also an air nomad, of a society of monks, and his tattoos have spiritual meaning, though that is only mentioned briefly. [SPOILER ALERT] His son, Tenzin, also took up the tattoos, in order to continue the traditions of his airbending heritage, and was the only child to do so, since his brother was not a bender, and his sister was a water bender, like their mother. ;)
Dan, I think your tattoos are gorgeous, and I love that you have a spiderwick mermaid in there. I loved that series.

MermaidAmestris
02-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Wow, never expected this thread to turn into a debate on whether tattoos are morally wrong. If you guys want to know my opinion (which of course you, since everyone else is throwing theirs around), my opinion is that merfolk would NOT JUDGE EACH OTHER just because one of them has a permanent picture etched into his/her skin. And who cares what "real" merfolk would do anyway? We're performers. It's not like he's getting the whole Disney world carved into his back, he's getting gills on his ribs. I actually have never even thought about a gill tat, and as someone who usually dislikes tattoos, I love the idea very much. But that's just me. We all have opinions, and we should all realize that everyone else has opinions too. Merfolk (at least the performers) are supposed to be kind and nice and friendly. That's one of the things that drew me into this sort of a community, no matter how many weird looks people give me when I walk around with my tail in a bag and my performing makeup screaming at everyone. We should all get along, not attack each other because e have different views on tattoos, of all things.

Miyu
02-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Oh girls, why do you all have to get yourselves tattoos?

Because I like them! :swoon:

I love art. I move a lot. Therefore, I end up losing art, getting it stolen, etc. Tattoos can't be stolen, and all of mine can be covered anyways... Not while mermaiding, but all my tattoos are kid-friendly, and most kids I've met actually quite like my tattoos. They mean quite a lot to me, and also to the people they were inspired by.

My next tattoo will be scales - that *has* to be ok with other mers, at least! Besides, 'tis my body, and no-one has to look at it if'n they don't want to :P

Back on the subject of gill slits - I still love them :swoon:

Mermaid Jaffa
02-15-2014, 09:57 PM
I'll get the non permanent tats once the new MerFins come out. That way, if I get bored with the image, I'm not stuck with it forever!

Plus I don't like needles.

Miyu
02-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Heehee I still love temporary tattoos :D There's a few I've been eying... Sometimes I just want something for fun, which is when makeup and temp. tats are awesome! Most people don't even know I have tattoos until I show them, and the few I have are very meaningful - I waited until I was 21 to get my first, and all the others I've thought on for a long time before getting them.

I love tribal facial tattoos and such, but I would never get one as a tattoo - first of all my face is in no condition for even a small one, and secondly... my mertender has facial tribal tattoos (kind of Maori/Shaman style, very nice and not all over his face either), and he gets discriminated against EVERYWHERE. He has the hardest time finding jobs (one guy even laughed and hung up on him!), blood banks won't allow him to donate even in a crisis situation where blood transfusions are very much needed (they always give him a different excuse, the most common being that they don't take gang members, LOL), and people are just generally rude to him/scared by him on a regular basis :lol:

Thusly, I love that with a little makeup, I can be all dark-tribal-mermaid, but it disappears when it would be inconvenient :p

Mermaid Jaffa
02-15-2014, 10:19 PM
I must've missed the post about gill slits... Where would you put them? They sound interesting to have as a tattoo.

Miyu
02-15-2014, 10:52 PM
I think the OP wanted them on his ribs? I was thinking of putting them on my ribs right below my ta-tas :p

Mermaid Jaffa
02-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Not above your ta-tas? Or on your neck?

That could be an interesting experiment if you keep changing the spots where the temp gills go... You could tell kids that you're evolving!

Elle
02-15-2014, 11:39 PM
I think there is a big difference in tattoo types. Sure you can have those people out there who are covered head to foot with ink (like ink absolutely everywhere) and lets face it, a majority of us are going to avoid them.
But I don't have an issue with someone with a sleeve or something like that. Like Dan's tatts... They really are a piece of art. Ravens back is beautiful. I know Seavanna just got her back done and it looks awesome. There is nothing wrong with some tasteful ink. It's a piece of art, it's part of your personality and there is nothing wrong with that.
To say that just because someone has a tattoo they are automatically dropped to the lower rungs of society is a bit harsh. If a girl gets some ink that doesn't automatically make her skanky. If you don't like it, maybe you shouldn't say anything.

Remember Bambi?? If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all

Miyu
02-15-2014, 11:59 PM
LOL, above my ta-tas I already have one tattoo (Heart of Dance, inspired by Beats Antique) :P

I may just have to do some makeup wizardry and occasionally do prosthetic gill slits, since I do really like the idea (just as a permanent tattoo, as much as I want them, they don't work for me right now).

Morticia Mermaid
02-16-2014, 02:30 AM
I dunno Elle. I've meet some pretty cool people who were near head to toe with tattoos. Ya'll know the saying- "Don't judge a book by its cover"

Elle
02-16-2014, 05:14 AM
I dunno Elle. I've meet some pretty cool people who were near head to toe with tattoos. Ya'll know the saying- "Don't judge a book by its cover"

Im not saying they cant be. I just think they are more intimidating than those with just a sleeve or a back tattoo. One of my best friends has more ink than blank skin and I love her to bits.
I agree with the "dont judge a book by its cover" tho ;)
But I definitely dont agree with people who think that those with tattoos are the bottom of civilised society

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mermaid Waverly
06-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Tattooing is an odd and beautiful form of art; very interesting and more expressive of sentiment than any other thing. It is more fascinating than costly jewelry, and cannot be lost, borrowed or stolen. It is a memento we can keep through life and retain after death. A sure identification in case of need upon Land or Sea. The art has been utilized buy all ranks and classes, including members of royalty, nobility and society, army and navy, sportsmen and travelers of the world.

Echidna
06-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Has any devoted mer tattoo-lover ever considered having their legs tattoed with scales, all from the waist down?
Not necessarily coloured solid ones, but the outline.

Combine with a nice monofin (preferably an Oceanica or Dol-Fin), and you don't even need a tail anymore!
(provided you don't have too much gaping between your legs)

Aziara
06-29-2014, 06:16 PM
You mean like this? No idea who this is, but it's really beautiful. https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-0/580909_10150950429366957_1303785703_n.jpg

Echidna
06-29-2014, 06:38 PM
wow! :jawdrop:
yes, though I didn't imagine something that vibrant-looking.
It's amazing!
I'd continue the scale pattern down to the toes though, to make it blend with the monofin.

Is that a real tattoo in the picture?
I'd consider that totally as a worthy tail variant.

Decora
06-30-2014, 09:03 AM
I would like to become to a pro mermaid I already one one small tattoo on one of my wrist about the size of a lighter that is not very noticeable. But one day I would like to get a chest piece and full back piece one day but I am worried that would stop me from being able to get work one day, and do you think it would be fine if I covered them up if some people were not okay with it.

Merman Dan
06-30-2014, 09:28 AM
My tattoo artist recently did this one, but I have yet to hear the story behind it:

https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10376294_804503392906978_7236898172008573415_n.jpg

SeaMansa
06-30-2014, 09:51 AM
I hope one day to get a tattoo of a small trident. I was thinking on my wrist but I hear that's a sensitive spot and its noticeable

Raayvhen
06-30-2014, 11:49 AM
I really love the scale tattoos. I've been thinking of getting some I'm just not sure where though. I was thinking on my sides but that is so popular for everyone right now.

The other tattoo I've been thinking of is Peonies on my thigh, it would be able to be covered with a tail so I wouldn't have to worry about explaining it.

Sherielle
07-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Speaking as a performer (not just merformer), tattoos are a personal choice, but you have to realize what it entails for performers. I do a lot of event work where I can be anything from a Saloon girl to a silent screen movie star to the Black Swan. I have two tattoos. One of a large dragon on my ankle and one on my butt. (heh heh......butt). The one on my butt is always completely hidden by clothing. The one on my ankle, not so much. So I have to go through extra preparations if I am to play, say, a fifties housewife. I will either wear opaque nude colored tights under regular hose, or tattoo covering makeup. (FYI, Dermablend is THE BOMBDIGGITY for covering up tattoos. Highly recommended). It's a pain. I love my tattoo, but being in this profession has kept me from getting the watercolor tattoo I really want on my shoulder blade. it's just too hard to coverup when I need to and I usually need to a lot. Had I known that I would be doing this type of work when I got my ankle tattoo, I wouldn't have gotten it. It's just a part of the performing business. Not everyone likes tattoos and they are hiring you, not the other way around. If it works for your character, then great! If not, then just be prepared to do the extra work to cover them up.
My two bits

Mermaid Isabel(:
07-16-2014, 03:34 PM
^ very well said :thumbs up:

Mermaid Margo
08-08-2014, 12:24 PM
I have tattoos on either wrist that say "Have Love <3" and "Hold Fast" (with a small anchor, which is quite fitting). They have a very personal meaning to me and it doesn't seem as though they'll ever be a problem. No one has even noticed them yet and they're smell so I can cover them if need be. My only concern is the pentacle behind my ear. I like having my hair short and while I am extremely proud of my pagan roots, I realize that some people are bound to view me in a negative light because of it. No one has said anything yet though and again, it's fairly small so I can always use make-up, but...yeah. ^^' I do love tattoos and hope to get more in the future. Just gotta plan carefully.

Mermaid Ilari Mae
08-12-2014, 03:59 PM
I have my ears gauged, snakebites, my septum pierced, nipples and belly button. I have four tattoos. Vampire bites on my neck, (can be covered with my hair), my wrists; pentagram with the moon phases on my left and hope on my right. I have my late bunny that I had almost 13 years on my upper arm, and bats on my foot.
I don't know how to explain my bunny, but I can cover the others :p

Nana
08-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Considered getting a tattoo but then I sissied out. I'm kinda unable to make choices that would be permanent. Also I'm pretty ticklish and it looks really painful.
Same about piercings too scared to get some but I don't really want any.

Kishiko
08-12-2014, 06:10 PM
I have my ears gauged, snakebites, my septum pierced, nipples and belly button. I have four tattoos. Vampire bites on my neck, (can be covered with my hair), my wrists; pentagram with the moon phases on my left and hope on my right. I have my late bunny that I had almost 13 years on my upper arm, and bats on my foot.
I don't know how to explain my bunny, but I can cover the others :p

You could always say it was done with squid ink and razor grass ;) And if humans can have ocean tattoos, why can't mers have land tattoos?

Mermaid Ilari Mae
08-13-2014, 01:37 AM
You could always say it was done with squid ink and razor grass ;) And if humans can have ocean tattoos, why can't mers have land tattoos?

Ooo! Very true!