PDA

View Full Version : New here!

Lucinda
02-16-2014, 04:43 AM
Hi there, everyone! I'm new here so I better introduce myself. :)

I'm mermaid Lucinda. I'm 29 years old and live in this country called Finland.
A few years ago, I saw "Aquamarine" and before I knew it not only had I developed a mermaid fixation but that film helped rekindle my childhood passion for swimming. Mermaids have also served as a focal point for a few other interests of mine. In human mode, I'm a university student. I'm majoring in Environmental biology but I also have a minor in Limnology (freshwater ecology). I'm currently doing my master's thesis on lake phytoplankton. In addition to science, I'm also fascinated by mythical and fictional aquatic creatures and I've done a lot of mermaid art (which I can hopefully share here?).

All in all, I just thought I'd pop in to meet some other mers before I drown my non-mer friends with my mermaid obsession. :)

Mermaid Jaffa
02-16-2014, 05:23 AM
HI Lucinda! Welcome!

Lots of friendly and helpful Mer People here, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Lucinda
02-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Why thank you, Ireneho. I've been checking out this forum on and off for the past few months or so. So on Friday while I was doing a bit of indoor swimming I figured "why not join so that you can meet some other mers".

Echidna
02-16-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm majoring in Environmental biology but I also have a minor in Limnology (freshwater ecology). I'm currently doing my master's thesis on lake phytoplankton.

That's so cool!
I studied marine biology for a while.
It's definitely a plus to know some stuff when one's a mer ;)
(like, "is this lake safe to swim in?" lol)

Welcome!

MermanZen
02-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Welcome :)

Lucinda
02-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome, Caltuna and Zen. BTW, what are those tiny triangles with exclamation marks in them? I hope that's not the "report to moderator" button cause I might have accidently pressed one of them. :$

Lucinda
02-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Caltuna, actually my thesis is more about whether the incoming phosphorus to a lake and the temperature conditions affect the phytoplankton in terms of how much of it will be found in the lake. But I do know a thing or two about which species produce toxins and which species can give you a nasty rash if you swim among them.

Thalassa
02-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Welcome, Lucinda! We'd love to see more art!

I know there's an art thread around here someplace...

Also, what is the source of the phosphorus coming into the lake? (Sorry, maybe a stupid question but I wondered.)

Echidna
02-16-2014, 10:43 AM
But I do know a thing or two about which species produce toxins and which species can give you a nasty rash if you swim among them.
yep, that's what I meant ;)

Also, what is the source of the phosphorus coming into the lake?

Can be from a variety of sources, but it's mostly from agriculture, sewage run-off, waste and the like.

If the lake is tiny and has a lot of waterfowl, their droppings contribute too :p

Echidna
02-16-2014, 12:35 PM
BTW, what are those tiny triangles with exclamation marks in them? I hope that's not the "report to moderator" button cause I might have accidently pressed one of them. :$

eh, yes, those are the report buttons.

Merman Dan
02-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Welcome Lucinda!

Phytoplankton, eh? I was only recently made aware that people were consuming it as a dietary supplement. (http://www.purehealingfoods.com/phytoplanktonInfo.php) I have often considered purchasing a phytoplankton reactor (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reactors/plankton-reactors.html) to help fed critters in my marine aquariums.

Lucinda
02-17-2014, 01:16 AM
Yep, Caltuna, those are among the more common sources of phosphorus to aquatic environments in general. When it comes to the phosphorus loading, in my case... That is, for my assignment, we've been using measurements from rivers, streams and trenches that drain into the lake. Someone mentioned agriculture and there is relatively much agricultural land in the surrounding area, and phosphorus from them can first end up in the smaller running waters and then in the lake.

Lucinda
02-17-2014, 01:19 AM
eh, yes, those are the report buttons.

Oh dear, I hope I haven't gotten anyone in trouble :$

Lucinda
02-17-2014, 01:40 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome, Dan. I've read about people eating phytoplankton, but I'm not familiar with these reactors.

Lucinda
02-17-2014, 02:41 AM
Thalassa, I hope this doesn't come across as creepy, but I actually have your avatar pic on my cell phone. It's part of my vast collection of mermaid images that I've collected since last summer. I thought that pic was so cute so I just had to save a copy of it.

Thalassa
02-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Aw, that's so flattering! ^_^ Thank you!

selkie13
02-17-2014, 07:37 AM
love Aquamarine! and welcome

Lucinda
02-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Thank you, Selkie13. :)