PDA

View Full Version : Syrena from Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Liquorice
02-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Hey there! Summer Desucon is a big deal here in Norway :) I'm going to team up with a couple of friends of mine there, and they will be cosplaying as Hector Barbossa and Jack Sparrow. I thought it would be fun to join them as Syrena. But I need some help!
1: I am very happy with my Mertailor tail, and I hope to repaint it. It's red and black, but I hope to make it look golden, like Syrena's tail. Do you know what to use? I have been looking through some of your threads, where you talked about some kind of spray paint. My tail is one of the early silicone Mertailor tails.
2: in the movie, she's being carried around in a glass box or chest. I want to do something similar, but the tail is really heavy.. I don't want my friends to have trouble carrying me around. I am thinking maybe a wheelchair or trolley or anything with wheels, really. Do you have any ideas??
3: the mermaids of the caribbean don't wear tops, but they have some kind of sparkly things over their chests. What do you think I could use here? Perhaps some covering pasties in skin colour and something else over there. Like latex?
I hope you can pardon my English!
Thanks in advance :)

Echidna
02-20-2014, 09:33 AM
I've never seen the movie, so I can't say anything to the top piece.

However, unless you really want your silicone tail to be golden permanently, I'd recommend buying some nice shiny gold fabric, and sew yourself a new one, especially if you're not planning to swim in it.

That way, you can choose something that'll keep you warm and also make a matching top.
It won't be as heavy, so your friends can carry you easier.
And lastly, you won't have to worry about your monofin, so you can take more positions and be more comfortable as if you had an expensive monofin in the tail.

MerEmma
02-20-2014, 12:12 PM
If you are planning to paint it, and it's silicone, you need to buy more silicone to mix with the paint which will get pricey.

merlounge
02-20-2014, 04:02 PM
Loved Syrena and ALL of the mermaids in On Stranger Tides!

deepblue
02-20-2014, 04:25 PM
You could also combine fabric and your silicone tail- make a tail to slip over the tail. Preserve the current paint job, make it shiny gold.

As for the top, I think scale pasties could work. Someone here probably makes those. You could also not deal with making them from silicone and get stick on bras which you've painted to match the tail. They sell them at places like Target. Bigger than pasties, smaller than an actual bra cup.