PDA

View Full Version : Booked for first gig!

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
02-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Just can't wait until I've signed the contract, but I just got my first booking for a gig! I currently have no tail at all, but I am working on a fabric tail which will be used for the event. (Event is in July, so no Finfolk tail by then)
I got asked to be a mermaid act on a new event (a sort of comic con) here in the Netherlands. Once my fabric tail is finished, I'll get a photoshoot for promotion and maybe one of them might end up in the national newspaper here. They will also be used on their website, as I will be a highlighted feature!
I am overwhelmed with happiness! I will give little workshops to children (probably making shell bracelets), people can have a chat with me and take pictures. My boyfriend (mertender) will be there too as a pirate to help out.
This is my very first time I'm doing anything like this, and I've already read a lot of tips on here but if there's anything that might come in handy, please share your tips and tricks.
Hardest part of all? I am not good with children. -_- I actually don't like them that much. But this is a great opportunity for me as a starting mermaid.

So yeah: :D:yay::dance: happy!

MerEmma
02-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Why would you go into birthday parties if you aren't good with children and don't even like them? Don't get me wrong, it's great that you have a gig, but it doesn't sound like something suited for you. :P There are other mermaidy things to do besides work with kids.

Kishiko
02-25-2014, 03:17 PM
That's great!!! I'm so happy for you!!(:

OceanRose
02-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Aww! Those are some lucky children, I just looked at your album of things you've made before, they're all so magical and wonderful.
Congratulations for everything :-D
Will your pirate help you with the children?

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
02-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Yes my boyfriend is very good with children.

@MerEmma: It's not a birthday party, it's a convention which is for all ages. Besides, it's a great way to get experience and to start with. I won't be spending the entire day with children =)

Jessica
02-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Congrats marijke! Kids are so much fun when you're in a tail :) if they start getting too close or asking too many questions though, start flapping your fluke! It works for me (mostly with little kids) and distracts them every time (for a minute anyway!) I think a big convention is a great place to start working with kids, and the parents will likely be around too so it should be fun!

PearlieMae
02-25-2014, 04:58 PM
That's AWESOME! Congratulations!

Just talk to kids like any other person, really...I didn't like kids until I had one of my own, and I learned they don't like being talked down to. Chances are there won't be many LITTLE kids at a comic convention, anyway!

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
True, and as long as they don't scream, yell or cry I'm pretty okay with it. I'm sooooo looking forward to this event. Although it's new I'm really happy I got asked for this. They are going to make some props to make a nice area around me.
So yeah, I now need to hurry with my fabric tail just to have everything ready well ahead of time.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-26-2014, 05:44 AM
Huzzah! Grats to you!

Azurin Luna
02-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Woo! Congratz!

Which convention is it? Maybe I can come and visit you :)

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
02-26-2014, 07:06 AM
It's Epicon in the Brabanthallen in July. They expect 30.000 visitors over 3 days.
(with a new event, I don't think this number will be accurate. But even half the amount would be nice)

MermaidMyrthe
02-26-2014, 07:11 AM
I'm soooooo happy for you Marijke! Wish you the best day in the start of this lovely career!

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks all!
I do have a question. I was asked to give a workshop for the children (about age 7/8) but I don't have idea's what I could do with them. I thought of making shell bracelets.. but I don't know if kids will like that. Any suggestions/idea's?

Mermaid Dottie
03-05-2014, 12:03 PM
You could throw in something educational about the oceans, if you want. Maybe something you care about and just gear it toward kids. 7/8 year olds are pretty smart. They can handle more than a lot of grownups give them credit for.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
03-05-2014, 12:30 PM
well, I was going to make a mermaid treasure chest, with all sorts of items (shells, dinglehoppers ;) and stuff that can be found in the ocean including some plastic that doesn't belong there to make them aware of the environment and how to keep it clean. This gives them the chance to see and feel pretty shells and ocean stuff. When each kid has picked an item I want to tell something about it. But this is apart from the workshop. =)

Ariel-Starfish
03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Yaaay so happy for u girl! <3 And guess what? I never liked children either :D

Mermaid Adriel
03-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Congrats! :D

PearlieMae
03-05-2014, 01:38 PM
7 and 8 year olds? Raina probably will have the best advice...

I like the idea of bringing things you can describe, but how about bringing a few things mermaids might be puzzled by (and might be found in the ocean) and asking the kids what they are? Or coming up with your own definitions and letting them correct you? We say 'dinglehopper', they say 'fork'. Bring a fancy shoe or sock and let them explain how people wear them. Rewrite the words to nursery rhyme songs to be mer-related...sing the alphabet song wrong and mixed up. Kids that age love to show how smart they are.

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
03-05-2014, 04:06 PM
neat idea Pearlie!
My sister came with the idea to make a quiz instead of having a workshop. Tomorrow I'll hear if I get permission for that.