PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Florida

Rogue Siren
03-01-2014, 06:57 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this exactly....if it doesn't belong feel free to move or delete it.

So a friend and I are thinking about moving to Florida. I'm from Alabama and she is from Georgia. This would be my first time living in my own place and not with my parents.

Next year my friend has plans to attend the University of Tampa or South Florida. Me, I'm just wanting to move out and get away from family.... Maybe attend school. (Long story. Short version is school is just not working out here)

I'm just looking for any Florida based mers that could give some advice on good places to live. What it's like down there, costs, etc.

Thanks! :)

MermanZen
03-01-2014, 07:41 AM
well before I moved from FL to NC I lived in Lakeland FL its between Tampa and Orlando its really nice ad the beach is pretty close

Rogue Siren
03-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Thanks, I'll check the area out. :)

And you know what....now I'm scared. XD I really need to move! Lol. I've been comparing the crime rates between where I've lived and the areas around Tampa.....I didn't realize how bad the crime was where I'm living now! Rape, theft, and car theft are much, much higher here than in Tampa.... Only robbery and murder are slightly higher in Tampa. And it's not even by that much. O.O Rape here is 150+% higher, theft 50+% higher, and car theft 250+% higher. Robbery is only 30% lower here. We don't have any recorded murders, so no data is really available on that end....

MerAnthony
03-01-2014, 10:35 AM
I plan on moving to NC in the fall or sooner. Be sure to look at all prospects before you do move. Like rents an the job market. You never know until you do the research.

Rogue Siren
03-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Anyone have opinions or know of Odessa or Land O' Lakes?

And yeah, that's why I'm looking all this up now and checking out cost of living, etc. Will probably take a vacation down there to check things out with my likely to be roommate.

Merman Dan
03-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Having lived in NC most of my life, I decided I needed a change of scenery for college so I went to Rollins College in Winter Park, next to Orlando. It was a beautiful place to live, back in the 80s.

Mind you, I am back in NC now.

Mermaid Ellowyn
03-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Millieu, areas around the University of Tampa (close to the school) are pricier but much much nicer. If you don't go with something near there, do not go anywhere near USF.... they are so sketchy. Like I won't go there after dark sketchy because there tends to be a lot of drug dealers and crime and stuff you just don't wanna live in. If you'd like more info on specific places please PM me, I'd be happy to help! Also, will you and your friend be able to visit the places before committing to one area?