PDA

View Full Version : We're moving to a new host!

Winged Mermaid
03-11-2014, 11:02 PM

We're moving to a new host! Our current host has too many issues and too much downtime. We thought we could resolve this with an upgrade to our current server, but that is not the case. So we've picked a new host that has stellar reviews and is optimized specifically for vBulletin forums!

Migrating servers can mean a few kinks in the works temporarily, one of which is the domain transfer. This could take a few days, so expect some down time. It may be a few hours, it may be a few days- it just depends. If the site remains online, I'll update here. Otherwsie, watch our Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/MerNetwork/178252078914614?ref=tn_tnmn) for updates during down time :)

Mermaid Lorelei
03-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Woo!!!

Arella
03-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Yay :D

Echidna
03-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Nice!

MerEmma
03-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Woo! I wasn't sure if the site issues were just that or my shoddy wifi. Glad to hear of an upgrade, and here's to hoping the adjustment period is short!

deepblue
03-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Wooo!

Spindrift
03-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Awesome!

MerAnthony
03-12-2014, 07:10 AM
FINTASTIC!!! Now maybe the lag will stop?

Mermaid Adriel
03-12-2014, 07:50 AM
FINTASTIC!!! Now maybe the lag will stop?

I hope the same! :D

Winged Mermaid
03-26-2014, 04:26 PM
So there were some bumps in the road getting everything set up and the domain transferred over. Also with Malinghi having time to start working on the move. So it is taking longer than we thought to get this done. But better to take the time and get it right :)

PearlieMae
03-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Thank you all for all your hard work and careful diligence!

Mermaid Kelda
03-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Don't overwork yourselves! :)

Winged Mermaid
03-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys! We've transferred the domain fine from one host to another, and are redirecting the domain back to the old server until we can get set up on the new sever. However there are some technical things that are tricky so there have been errors and hitches. Like right now people are getting locked out of accounts by what we think is something funky with the URL redirect between servers. If you can't log in, don't try and reset your password just yet (it won't work anyhow), just check back to this thread and our FB page for updates.

Anahita
03-27-2014, 01:38 AM
Haha, whoops. I reset my password, but then after it didn't work, I accepted defeat and just decided to bide my time until the server stopped goofing with my account. :p

malinghi
03-27-2014, 02:08 AM
Haha, whoops. I reset my password, but then after it didn't work, I accepted defeat and just decided to bide my time until the server stopped goofing with my account. :p

Sorry about that. BS like this is exactly why were moving.

Anahita
03-27-2014, 02:28 AM
Sorry about that. BS like this is exactly why were moving.

Oh, I don't mind. I'm just glad to see it wasn't because someone else was trying to log into my account (which is initially what I thought happened because of the message I had received). :)

PearlieMae
03-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Quick question...could a setting have been changed where one would stop receiving all notification of followed threads? I don't think I clicked the 'unsubscribe all', and I KNOW I didn't verify an unsubscribe. I was just wondering if that could have happened behind the scenes.

malinghi
03-31-2014, 11:58 AM
Quick question...could a setting have been changed where one would stop receiving all notification of followed threads? I don't think I clicked the 'unsubscribe all', and I KNOW I didn't verify an unsubscribe. I was just wondering if that could have happened behind the scenes.

I don't think it would cause something like this, but I don't know enough about how the domain name transfer works to say for certain. But I really don't think that's the cause. Have you tried changing the settings back to how they were? Did it have any effect?

PearlieMae
03-31-2014, 12:37 PM
I didn't change anything, unless it's something I hit inadvertently while browsing notifications on my phone. No worries...I'll just check back on occasion. Thanks!

Kishiko
03-31-2014, 12:58 PM

Same thing happened to me about two days ago I think! Since then I've had no email notifications

Winged Mermaid
05-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Okay here's the deal- for the past month or so our domain has been held by one server host, while we're actually using the server on the other server host. That means that the domain is redirecting back to the old server. This has meant TONS and TONS of errors on the site constantly, because apparently the old server was already bad in terms of up time and that only made things worse. But I can't move the server over and do all the technical stuff, so I've been waiting on Malinghi who has been very busy with school. I know you guys are sick of all the errors (I am too, believe me). So this Saturday we're shutting down the site completely. The plan is to shut it down, move the server over, undo the redirect, and launch from the new server.

So again- PLANNED DOWN TIME THIS SATURDAY.

Mermaid Wesley
05-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up! Thanks for all the hard work, too!

AniaR
05-01-2014, 08:26 PM
IF YOU NEED SOMETHING TO DO SATURDAY I am having a workshop!!! lol plug plug. So you can get your mermaid fix hahaha.

Seriously though, good luck Iona and Nate!

Kishiko
05-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Oh look a day to actually get stuff done XD

Arella
05-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Thanks guys <3

Arella
05-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Raina there will be more of your workshops? I have Sonic carhop training at the same time :P