PDA

View Full Version : What to Pack for a Mer-gig

AniaR
03-16-2014, 12:38 PM
I get asked about this stuff all the time, so I wanted to show you my master list of what I pack. I typically have things organized in bins so I can toss them in and go. You may not need everything I've listed here, but it's to give you an example :)

An extra top- I once had the experience where my top broke mid swim. If you have one in your vehicle or whatever you're using to store all your mermaid gear you'll be happy. Chances are you'll be dragging it around with you and never using it, but if your top does snap or bust while you're in the water, you'll be thankful you did.
Sunscreen for outdoor gigs, depending on your area you may want bug spray. Be sure to reapply often.
Argon oil or something similar for your hair before and after being in a very chlorinated pool. I usually spray argon oil all over before I get in the water, or rub coconut oil into my hair. It makes a big difference.
Neoprene booties, or neoprene half socks, if you're prone to blisters OR if you're going to be around sand as sand in your monofin= hurty!
Eye drops/ ear drops and or eye flush/wash for chlorine pools.
Clear silicone puddy ear plugs if you are prone to ear infections, or if you have bad nasal drip/ beginning of a cold. The ear plugs prevent ear infections and are safe for use in the average depth pool.
Many many many towels. Don't just pack 1 or 2, because you'll kick yourself later.
If you're unsure of where you're going to be able to get in/out of costume it helps to have a blanket. It can be sat on if the area is rough. Or held up to block you if there's nowhere to change etc. Yoga matts help too and are easy to store
A mini first aid kit. We keep ours in the car, and most public pools already have one. But I have been at private events where I've slipped and hurt myself, or broken a nail so bad it bleeds etc.
Underwear. Seriously. Women, you do not want to be sitting around in a wet swim suit for very long for obvious reasons. We often remember to bring a change of clothes, but usually forget that key item. So be sure you've got it.
If you have to be wet and you're female, and you're prone to yeast infections, you can buy an over the counter OINTMENT (not cream, ointment absorbs better and is likelier to work even though you've been getting full of water- my gyno told me this!) and you can use it before and after the gig. Some people use a few drops of tea tree oil or other oil that helps be antifungal in their bathing suit bottoms. Coconut oil is also a natural antifungal too so you can use that. If it becomes an issue for you (I've spoken to a lot of mers in private and it seems like this is the silent epidemic of the mer world that no girl talks about publicly) you can take a high count probiotic before and after :)
Your makeup, especially if your gig is a long one you may need to reapply.
Business cards, lots of them. You never know when you'll have a chance to give em out.
Some sort of lubrication to get your tail on if it's full silicone. I suggest watering down actual lube so long as it isn't silicone base, or using al all natural body lotion, or better yet: coconut oil. Just always be sure to thoroughly clean your tail when you're finished as these things can cause mold growth, and occasionally wear down at your tail if left on. It is good to have a cream in general though because when you get out of the water your skin will be dried out. I usually need to put something on my hands.
Cameras. Or a phone that can take pics :) Keep a record of those awesome gigs.
A bottle of water or a sport drink to keep close by should you get dehydrated. For those prone to cramps, a banana is good too.
Pain killers for the small chance again that you hurt yourself, pull a muscle, or just don't feel well part way through. Again, you unlikely to actually need them but if you keep a few in your first aid kit you'll be happy you did.
Goggles are another one that are just nice to have because you'd be surprised how frequently you may have a reason to use them. Maybe you get into the pool early and you want to practice without hurting your eyes. Maybe you have some time to get some underwater photos and the person needs em. We used to never bring them and then always say, darn we wish we had them. Now I just leave them in my gig bin.
You want a safe way to transport all your gear and yourself! I can't recommend getting a dolly enough. It's like a little flatbed on wheels. We put our bins with mermaid stuff on it to take it to the gig, and then if the merwrangler has to carry me any distance, he puts me on it and pushes me. We got ours for about 80$ at a local hardware store, and you can claim it as a business expense. It seriously was life changing for us so for those of you planning on working a lot, I can't recommend them enough
Snacks. I have rits crackers in the car for after gigs. Im always starved!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1012361_652862011415212_690759352_n.jpg

I got these great hanging totes to put my makeup and jewellery in from Michaels. If I ever need to bring a bunch with me, they roll up!
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1455950_740785625956183_1683064323_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1391891_740786145956131_718610463_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1621973_810024469032298_566959161_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/10004051_816369661731112_113320690_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1.0-9/427283_457036764331072_1182542727_n.jpg

If you dont have or have access to a dolly, sometimes a wheelchair can help too, though they're pretty big to fit in your car. Some venues will already have wheelchairs if you ask them

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/525460_598955986805815_2043694002_n.jpg

AniaR
03-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Once again I put in paragraphs but they didnt stay sorry for the wall o text

MerEmma
03-16-2014, 01:37 PM
I love the picture choices. :P

drucilla
03-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Do you usually try to do a natural or fantasy look with your makeup?

AniaR
03-16-2014, 04:01 PM
just depends on the gig or how I feel. I go back and forth

drucilla
03-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Love the jewelry and makeup organizer great way to keep things in place and available. which makeup type do the children and parents prefer generally? Is all of this in your book aswell?

AniaR
03-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Uh i dont know. Lol kids dont tend to say 'Oh I love that eye makeup' I think you're putting too much thought into it. You only have so many options for things that are genuinely underwaterproof. Just wear what you like and mix it up whenever you want.

BayouMermaid
03-17-2014, 04:38 PM
A spare top is a good idea for mermaiding in general! I've had a shell pop off before, haha.

Mermaid Jaffa
03-18-2014, 12:47 AM
Also pack some spare snacks into your tail. Never know when you might get peckish out there in the ocean.

AniaR
03-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Snacks are on the list already ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Jaffa
03-18-2014, 10:38 AM
INTO the tail. In case you are far out and can't swim fast enough back to shore.

Mermaid Momo
03-18-2014, 11:02 AM
INTO the tail. In case you are far out and can't swim fast enough back to shore.
That's asking for something to eat you haha.

AniaR
03-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Shouldn't eat while swimming. Hurts your belly.

Mermaid Jaffa
03-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Really? I never knew that.

BayouMermaid
03-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Yeah, eating and swimming don't always go together. It's like stomach cramp city for me anyway.

AniaR
03-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Its dangerous. Plus putting food in a tail? Asking for mess and mold.

PearlieMae
03-18-2014, 12:55 PM
I try to eat no closer than an hour before swimming. Food in your tum digesting plus the ab work of dolphin kicking can cause some serious stomach cramps, and puking in a pool is really bad form.

Then again, I have gone for swims with a fat chunk of chocolate in my mouth (not at gigs, of course), letting it melt as I splash around. It helps me to float. ;)

Mizuko
03-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Probably TMI, but if I eat any sooner than an hour before swimming (usually free diving training) I burp like a wind pipe. haha!
The rule is generally 'wait half an hour after eating before getting into the water', but I wait an hour XD

Mermaid Isabel(:
03-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Wow this is fantastic I know you made a video of what to pack which was very useful but this goes into even more depth! Thank you I'm sure it will come in handy :)

Mermaid Jaffa
03-18-2014, 11:02 PM
I need to find me one of those MerTenders... I've started thinking about the logistics of showing up at a pool party with no one to carry me to the pool!

Kishiko
03-25-2014, 08:56 AM
You should add safety pins to the list! You never know when one might come in handy!!

Rogue Siren
03-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Yes! Safety pins! I almost always keep those with me, no matter where I'm going. Lol

And if you go into the water less than an hour after swimming you'll get eaten by leeches....

AniaR
03-25-2014, 11:31 AM
I have them in my first aid kit ;)