PDA

View Full Version : To bring my tail or not to....???

Kishiko
03-16-2014, 01:56 PM
So a little info first:

im im going to japan this summer for a 4H exchange trip. I'll be living with a host family for one month in July.

Anyway, i really want to bring my tail, but I don't know if I Should or not. The main reason want to bring it is because Japan has gorgeous swimming spots on the coast, but I don't even know if I'll be near the coast. We don't get our family assignments until later. I'm not even sure if I'll swim while I'm there, but were supposed to show our host families some of our hobbies and what not. On the other hand, I'm concerned they might think I'm crazy or something, but then again they might think it's really cool! :P I'm very torn on what to do. What do you guys think?

Mermaid Momo
03-16-2014, 04:46 PM
I'd say not to. Japanese homes a small, so your tail may take up a lot of space. Also, June and July are monsoon season there, AKA, It's cold haha. I made the mistake of packing clothes for warm weather when I went and I regretted not packing more sweaters and long sleeves. There are a few days where it really warms up though, but the water will be cold too (My host family took me to the beach since they knew I mermaided and love mermaids.)

How about making a cool video to show them? or taking some photos and getting them printed as cards or some kind of keepsake?

BayouMermaid
03-16-2014, 06:38 PM
I'd wait till you find out more information about where you will be staying. Be aware too that traveling with the tail means that you risk it getting lost with luggage. It happens ;/

Anahita
03-16-2014, 07:22 PM
I'd say no.

It's never a good idea to bring something big like a tail to the home of a person you've never met before (unless they pay you to do it, of course, but that's a whole different situation there). It's also not a good idea because it's a hobby that involves going somewhere out of the way, which can cause some problems for you AND your host. And can seem a bit inconsiderate on your part to your host - who may or may not be able to accommodate a trip for you - when you bring along something that requires them to go out with you to watch/participate in it. It may make them uncomfortable then, even if the initial idea of you doing it on your own time didn't bother them at all. And with just bringing it and not being able to swim, you've now brought along a large piece of equipment for no reason, which would suck.

I like draggersprez idea of making a video to show them.

Maybe, too, instead of the huge tail, you can bring a seashell top, or some other, smaller, easier to store mermaid jewelry/thing to show them so they have something to touch and connect them more with the video. I just don't see the whole tail as a good idea.

I'm only saying this because my cousin used to host exchange students, and she did say that sometimes, she felt really uncomfortable with the fact that they got SO wrapped up in coming to Hollywood/California that they kind of lost their sense of "hey, this is a stranger who is being very nice to me and sharing their home with me" and kind of just planned for her to do a bunch of things for them.

Mermaid Momo
03-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Also, Since you have to bring Omiyage anyway (well you don't really have to per se, but it's sort of rude if you don't) maybe bring them something mer related? Like maybe a mermaid photo book? or mermaid story book? (like these
: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XrpOD9vHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1170994037l/81165.jpg)

These books aren't too childish, yet someone who isn't that good at english can look at the pictures and attempt to read it.

Arella
03-16-2014, 09:51 PM
And honestly, I think you'll be too busy to really mermaid too much. I went to Japan and was busy so much! You're going to want to spend your time learning mores bout Japan and immersing yourself in the culture, not mermaiding,

lollikit
03-17-2014, 12:39 AM
do you have a fabric tail as an option??? it would be a good idea as they don't take up as much space???

Kishiko
03-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Hahaha that's the only type of tail I have! So it wouldn't take up as much space, I wouldn't even have to unpack it if it wasn't necessary. But on the other hand it is a good point about being busy and not being rude... Idk I have my orientation in two weeks and I think we get our family assignments, maybe I could send them a letter or something?

Echidna
03-17-2014, 01:48 AM
A fabric tail, unless it has excessive sidefins/crests/fringes, does NOT take much space.
The monofin is another story.

In your case, I'd compromise and pack my tail, but without monofin.
That way, you can show them the tail and explain how you normally have a monofin inside, which lets you swim really fast.
Obviously, you won't be able to swim well without monofin, so unless they are very interested to see you in the tail, you won't be obliged to put the tail on or swim in it.

It wholly depends on their attitude of course, but my guess is that most Japanese, with all their penchant for anime, cosplay, and games, would find it pretty cool.

malinghi
03-17-2014, 01:50 AM
I think the biggest drawbacks are that it takes up space and there's a risk of it getting lost while travelling, but if it's a fabric tail it doesn't take up much space and its much easier to replace than a $2000 tail. You might not get a chance to swim in it, but if you do it will be a lot of fun and you'll get some great photos.

Kishiko
03-17-2014, 07:11 AM
Yes the monofin would be an issue. I finished my lexan one yesterday and it's HUGGGEEEE. It definitely doesn't fit my suitcase so I'd have to make a bag and check it or use a suit bag and have it as a carry on

PearlieMae
03-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Maybe pick up a Finis Foil? It doesn't look too big, might fit in a suitcase and you could slip it into your fabric tail if the appropriate occasion arises? $43 bucks and free shipping sounds like a decent deal!

http://www.activeforever.com/finis-foil-monofin?productId=6523#.UycgqK1dWW8

And if not, you never have to take it out of your suitcase.

Kishiko
03-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Well my fluke is made to fin the monofin, and my monofin is 30 x 24 so it would fit really weird inside my fluke if I got a foil, plus I've gone pretty much broke getting the stuff for my tail /: but it was a good idea pearlie! Thank you!

PearlieMae
03-17-2014, 12:40 PM
No worries...I just checked the Amazon reviews and it seems that the rubber smell from this fin is extremely strong!

Pix/vid may be your best bet, tail without fin if it doesn't take up much room in your suitcase...if you get the chance to show it off, you'll just have to 'limp along' and be flowy, not propelled. Better to have it and not need it than have the chance and wish you brought it. Then again, I'm a packrat.

And yes, I am jellyfish that you are going to Japan! :D

Echidna
03-17-2014, 01:01 PM
No worries...I just checked the Amazon reviews and it seems that the rubber smell from this fin is extremely strong!

oh, so they say this on the american amazon as well?

I wanted to buy a foil for a while, but almost every review mentioned how chemical it smells, and how it has to be stored outside or the whole apartment stinks :/
I'm very concerned about toxins since I learned they are everywhere, so I didn't buy a foil.

Might make my own though :P hah.

Kishiko
03-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Haha Pearlie, I'm a pack rat too :D I'm just worried I'll be at this gorgeous coastal spot where the family goes for daily swims and I won't have my tail :P And we do have some huge suitcases.... I might check those out see if my tail fits in one, or wait until I get my home assignment and see if I'll be anywhere near the coast

Mermaid Momo
03-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Do you atleast know where you'll be city or prefecture wise?

Kishiko
03-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Nope, no clue. Orientation is April 5th and I think I get my home assignment then

Mermaid Dottie
03-18-2014, 04:43 PM
I think your best bet is to wait until you get your assignment, then decide. It would be extra polite to write to them (maybe with a photo attached of you in tail) and ask them if they would like for you to bring your tail. Your host family, I mean. They may be really excited about it, or they may ask you to leave it home. Either way, it'll be a good idea, just to ask them ahead of time.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

MerGrrl
03-20-2014, 03:31 PM
I partly grew up in Japan, though was always away on homeleave June + July. I don't think I swam in the ocean once. I did participate in a beach cleanup once - you wouldn't believe the things we found! In addition to the normal haul of plastic, trash, etc. we unearthed an entire moped.

It's pretty unlikely you'll wind up on the coast, all things considered. And Japanese homes are typically very small. I wouldn't risk bringing the big tail, but maybe the fabric one if you're really intent.

Definitely bring omiyage, save room for souvenirs, and have a wonderful time. Japan is such a unique country.

Kishiko
03-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Lol the "big tail" and the fabric one are the same, I only have one tail XD and another thing, what's omiyage?

Mermaid Jaffa
03-20-2014, 11:26 PM
Presents for the family. In Asian culture, you don't show up empty handed if you're going to someone's house, its considered rude. As example, we Chinese always bring oranges as the color orange is a sign of good luck and prosperity. Other lucky colors are red and gold.

Kishiko
03-20-2014, 11:36 PM
I have no idea what to bring! O.o hmmm I'll have to think on that

Mermaid Momo
03-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Generally, you want to bring something special to where you live at (I took Cactus Jelly, a necklace with a tarantula in it, and a hand made music box that played classic African American songs.) and my friend gave her host family a neat book on Weird things In Arizona Like the Chain gang and stuff.

Mermaid Jaffa
03-26-2014, 12:03 AM
Yep! Like the last time a friend visited from overseas, I gave her a small gift basket.

In it were some local treats. There was a big jar of Vegemite, two jars of homemade jar (not made by me), a card made by me, a stuffed koala toy, some key chains with wallaby, kangaroos and koalas, a string of tiny furry koala clips and a scented oil kit.

Vixy
04-02-2014, 03:23 AM
People do tend to like things from where the person come from. Also so incredibly jealous, you going to try out the foods and drinks?

With the tail, as it's a fabric tail you could get away with taking it. Although the host family might not be so great with something different...

Mermaid Jaffa
04-02-2014, 03:37 AM
Try the fish flavored ice creams. I hear they're very popular in Japan!