PDA

View Full Version : Let's end this once and for all

AniaR
10-16-2011, 01:04 PM
So, like many of you during the mernetwork outage I was going through mer yuku reading old posts! I came across this one
What all merfolk should know... (http://mer.yuku.com/topic/788/merfolk---aware----comes--media-interviews?page=1#.TptvlLLpcVF)

If you haven't read it and watched the video, please do so you'll understand the context.

Now, we all know bullying is something I have a big problem with. And I know this lovely young mer is still bullied to this day over this video. I think, enough is enough. If enough people flag the video on youtube- it will be removed. Select the little flag below the video, click "hateful and abusive" then "bullying", It will flag the video causing staff to remove it. They will review the video and the comments, they'll also see it's copywritten material. (Global) I think enough is enough don't you think? She was in grade 11 when this was done, full of hope for the mermaid world she was becoming a part of, and they intentionally mis-represented her story for a laugh. She has spoken about this on a thread here called "bullying".

So let's stand up as a community and put a stop to the bullying of our mer sister. Report the video, and feel free to let the idiot who insists on keeping it up know exactly what you think.

taom
10-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Done and done! I hadn't even thought of flagging it.

APhishOutofWater
10-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Done!

ide
10-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Done. What assholes.

green52
10-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Same. This is really tasteless.

New York Mermaid
10-16-2011, 06:19 PM
done..

happyguava
10-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Done. From both my accounts!! :)

Mermaid Luna
10-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Done. That's just cruel.

AniaR
10-17-2011, 07:08 AM
you can flag it 1X every day :) he disabled the comments :P he's 7 years older than her, real something to be proud of eh?

Selene
10-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Ugh, SO done! As well as asking friends to flag on my behalf. Can't believe this is still going, poor Bri! :(

Syrenia
10-17-2011, 01:20 PM
What low lives! Laughing at a girl for doing what she's passionate about! HOW ABOUT THEY DO SOMETHING THEY LIKE AND SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE LAUGH AT THEM!? People like this infuriate me!
That poor girl. Keep your head up, sweetie! You have a whole community here who will back you up no matter what you do! I'd like to fin-smack all those a**holes!! The nerve they have!

Mermaid Sirena
10-17-2011, 06:45 PM
I never thought about flagging it before and thank you bring this back to the surface and for mentioning you can report it once a day. I've now saved it to my bookmarks bar to remind me to flag it everyday :D This needed to end, yesterday.

Aquatica
10-18-2011, 01:57 AM
I just flagged it, thanks for the heads up

HBMermaid_Angela
10-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Done...so tasteless...

Mermaid Jewel
10-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Mmm I hate to point this out but the story is without malice, meaning it's legal. The only part considered with malice is the laughing at the end. It's not a nice story, not saying it isn't, but by journalistic standards the story itself was pretty objective. The way it was presented suggested otherwise, especially by the anchors. I think if you'd seen the story without the anchor intro and the lead out, it wouldn't have been as bad.

I used to be a broadcast student and I listen to a journalism class a lot...I flagged the video as I am against it but I just wanted to point that out

green52
10-19-2011, 03:01 AM
I agree. I had no assumption that it was illegal. Its just a mean piece. I imagine that the team that produced it probably doesn't consider it mean, but it was.

I also don't know YouTube's policy, so I'm not sure that it meets the standards for removal. I think its sensible to try and bring it to someone's attention, though.

AniaR
10-19-2011, 09:49 AM
actually, the story does have some illegalities because she was under aged and not properly informed of her rights or what would be shown, and not the legal age to sign the consent form without an adult parent signing as well- she and her family have pressed charges. Youtube's policy is that only the news vendors can upload their copywritten news pieces unless someone is given written permission. It's the same as when people upload TV shows- they get removed either very quickly as in right now because they all ready have bots in place so anything like a TV show gets removed usually within 24 hours, while as older things from a few years ago are still under the same policy just arent removed through a bot they need to be reviewed. It's malice in the sense that the person's intention uploading it is bullying- which the youtube staff can see when they look at the comments (they can see them even though he's disabled them) and all the people who know her personally from school making fun of her. It is still being used by specific people as a means of harassing her.

The only thing Im finding frustrating is youtube says you can fill out a form with more information but when you click the link it takes you to the faq and policies. I sifted through them and can't find a form, or even a proper person to contact.

-Annwyn-
10-26-2011, 05:58 AM
I have also flagged. If us mermaids and our friends band together we can cease it from damaging our mermaid sister's reputation. There is nothing wrong with being a mermaid, and sometimes human males are the stupidest of all the creatures on Earth.

-Annwyn-
10-26-2011, 06:01 AM
If you mark it as "Hateful and abusive content - abusing vulnerable individuals"

LittleTreasure
10-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Wow. Thanks for letting us know about this. I just flagged it as bullying...those people should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of this naive girl.

Plus isn't that copyrighted anyway? Hopefully all the flags will help it get taken down.

Mermaid Miel
11-28-2011, 09:30 PM
I flagged it as Bullying and also filled out a form in the Safety Center. (You'd think that with the video in a Lawsuit that the channel would have the decency to remove it from youtube anyway!)
At the end of the form, YouTube had this to say however.
"In order to consider this issue, the person who has been harassed needs to notify us directly. If you're not that person (or their legal guardian), we unfortunately can't investigate your complaint. If you know this person, tell them to contact us directly if they want us to investigate this further."
Which explains why it has not been removed despite multiple flags, Keep up with the Flags though... Persistence has and will pay off.