PDA

View Full Version : After the White Light

Mermaid Sirena
10-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I listened to a Jae Rhim Lee speak on TED about the toxins in our bodies and what happens to them after we die.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jae_rhim_lee.html

I knew I wanted either a natural burial or a cremation, now I know that cremations aren't as great as I thought they were I'm like the idea of a natural burial. Hopefully this infinity mushroom she speaks about will be ready and available to the general public once I die (which god willing will be a LONG time from now).

What do you want to happen to your remains?

New York Mermaid
10-17-2011, 11:45 AM
personally, I want to have a burial at sea, or by the sea. or turned into a reef: http://www.eternalreefs.com/index.html

AniaR
10-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I saw that too and shared it on my page :D To be honest, I think I have a death phobia so I hate thinking about it too much. Maybe later on in life I'll be able to think about what Id want to happen. David Suzuki pointed out that there are very few facilities that offer "green burials" but he does have a descent article on his website about it

Mermaid Sirena
10-17-2011, 08:30 PM
So it was your page I got the links from! I go around clicking a million links and never remember where I got them from ^_^ Thank you for posting the two TED talks :D I know it's a pretty heavy subject and often not one people like to think about.

Lanai that sounds beautiful! It never occurred to be to have a burial at see, I'm going to have to poke around that site a bit.

green52
10-19-2011, 02:56 AM
I'm glad to hear this. I've never wanted a burial or a cremation, but I was never sure what alternatives existed. My ambition is make the disposal of my remains and my return to nature as swift and cheap as possible, so burial at sea is appealing, but because I would need to have someone get a boat and take it several miles of shore, it could still be difficult to accomplish legally. I'm glad that advances are being made.

Btw, if anyone hasn't ready 'Stiff', by Mary Roach, I highly recommend it.