PDA

View Full Version : Mertailor working with a "major, major picture film".

Seraphina Suds
03-21-2014, 11:39 AM

What do you think? There are several mermaid movies in the works...

AniaR
03-21-2014, 11:47 AM
It be great if one of the folks actually used a tail instead of CGI. I think there's better out there than him but he's the one with the connections so that's what ya get. Well have to see

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

AniaR
03-21-2014, 11:47 AM
*films not folks lol can't edit from phone

Seraphina Suds
03-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Agreed. I hate that companies turn to cgi when there's so many options for realstic tails. I just wish they would cast the net a bit wider when it comes to the creators of those tails.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Arella
03-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Well regardless I'm excited to see what it is : )

PearlieMae
03-21-2014, 01:44 PM
I really hope it's not the case...or the special effects department is using them as a base to build on.

Mermaid Adriel
03-21-2014, 01:55 PM
let's wait and see...

AniaR
03-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Wonder if hell credit the whole team lol

courtneymermaid
03-21-2014, 04:06 PM
I was wondering if I would see a post about this on here! :P I agree with the above comments but it is nice to hear about the potential for a real tail versus cg. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

PearlieMae
03-21-2014, 04:08 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! :rotfl::lol ^::clap::hail::yay::thumbs-up::lol::highfive::rollover:

Ariel-Starfish
03-21-2014, 04:10 PM
hm, intresting ...

Mermaid Caspiana
03-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Hmm I wonder what movie... There are more coming out?

Merman Arion
03-21-2014, 06:41 PM

LOL :lol:

He better not make his unfamous monofins showing ;)

Mermaid Dottie
03-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Better him than CGI. If he wants to he can make really nice tails. I hope he does a great job and that there'll be little to no CGI in whatever film he's talking about.

Mer-Crazy
03-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Well the way he worded it, it makes it sound like (to me) that it's actually his own project, rather than he got hired. Not sure if this is just bad wording on his part, too much reading into it on my part, or something like that, so it will be interesting to see how this project turns out. Like Dotti said; he is capable of making good tail when he chooses to, so I'm sure he's going to put all his effort into something with so much publicity.

Anahita
03-21-2014, 08:37 PM
LOL :lol:

He better not make his unfamous monofins showing ;)

:rotfl:hahaha remember my post about that in my costuming group?

OrcaMatt
03-21-2014, 08:42 PM

Sent from my Nexus 4 using TapatalkVery droll indeed!

MermaidMichelle
03-22-2014, 01:34 AM
I must concur with the majority here; in the whole Mertailor versus Merbella conflict, I am personally invested (literally) in the latter....

However, the fact is that the Mertailor's work can be very high-quality when he so desires, and I could easily picture it in a major motion picture done by a major studio. The big question then is whether a major studio would use the Mertailor's work as-is. Mermaid tails in film have 'developed' from obviously-artificial to realistic and properly-swimmable to the more awkward; tails like those in Hook which had an extension between the feet and the fluke to appear less human, and then finally the current situation of wildly-flailing cgi a la Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and to a lesser extent Once Upon A Time.

However, Madison's tail from Splash! is still the one that looks most real (despite its visible seam), so perhaps the studio will respect that.

AniaR
03-22-2014, 07:02 AM
I think it's probably this:

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1656168_823111024373148_330900631_n.jpg

Because of the quote next to the photo:
"Mertailor Sculptors working hard at it! Major contract! Completely custom tail(s)! It's going to be huge! I'm sure the movie is going to be one of a kind

AniaR
03-22-2014, 07:04 AM
so the forum was all weird and I tried to continue that post, haha but it started posting my text vertically? weird. so anyway, his boyfriend uploaded that same photo on his FB fanpage with his own credit for the sculpting? lol.

Anyway, we do all know he can do a good job when it's for high paying clients. There's no denying Eric has some talent. ;) and we know since it's a movie he wont be able to copy anything existing. He'll have to innovate.

MermaidMichelle
03-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Merci pour the pic; Raina! At least it has a nice shape!

I have nothing against the Mertailor and think his premium work is amazing, but I too have read the tales (pun!) of his "tiered quality" and, the more I read this forum's threads, the more I realize how lucky I am to have endeavoured to show my design to Raven when she was taking orders!

Oh, and by the way, I am having a lot of fun reading your book! I am savouring it; reading a bit every morning before going online! :mermaid kiss:

Kaila Mermaid
03-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Is he taking credit for someone else's movie now??

AniaR
03-23-2014, 02:32 PM
No I think he's legit working with a movie. but legally you arent usually allowed to show or say anything until after. non-disclosure agreements are usually signed.

Mermaid Momo
03-23-2014, 04:49 PM
I have a feeling it might have something do with with a movie with splash in the title somewhere lol. Because why else would you have to point out the pun in that way? lol.

MermaidMichelle
03-24-2014, 02:12 AM
Perhaps it's the long-awaited Splash! 3...lol? :pearl:

It is within the Mertailor's skill level to equal that of the Tail Man of Splash, Too.... After all, Merbella's work surpasses the tail in Splash! (That one has a quite-visible seam whereas Raven expertly conceals hers!) :mermaid kiss:

Yulia
03-25-2014, 10:31 AM
I thought it may be this movie?
http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/19323/1/everything-we-know-about-sofia-coppolas-the-little-mermaid-film-adaptation

AniaR
03-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Well there's another 2 in addition to that

MermaidMichelle
03-25-2014, 03:06 PM
In this Dark Future, it would be nice to see such a big film as the dark retelling of The Little Mermaid with a properly swimmable tail rather than an extended* or cgi one, but sadly I have my doubts. Reality is hard! :jelly::cthulhu::jelly: (I have little opportunity to use jelly emoticons, so I gave Cthulhu his own entourage/guard....)

*I might like to try an extended (mermaids from Hook-style) tail someday, but there is more one can do in the water (and at swifter speeds) in a Splash!-style tail.