PDA

View Full Version : Shiny tail

Mermaid Ixa
03-24-2014, 11:15 PM
I have been thinking recently about my shiny silver/black tail I have and weather or not I should take it to the ocean. I reallly want to but I dont know if I should make a different one that isn't shiny to take because I heard shiny things attract barracudas and bad fishes. I would be swimming of the shore of Avalon on Catalina island near where the boats are. Any suggestions?

Mermaid Jaffa
03-24-2014, 11:18 PM
But you are so big and the fishes are so small!

Don't they have areas that are just for swimmers with shark nets?

BayouMermaid
03-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Ocean swimming in general presents a huge risk, and not just because of the wildlife. Currents are powerful forces. I don't think being shiny is your biggest concern. Keep in mind that most fish are iridescent, so it may actually make you blend in more.

Try to swim in the area without the tail first to get a feel for the water and the currents, and only swim with a partner! Remember, most monofins are not recommended for ocean swimming. I've used my finis tempo in the Gulf of Mexico before, and it is not very powerful. Had I not been on a swim team for 5 years, I would probably have been in some trouble :/

Also, I have swam with barracuda before and they never bothered me. Unprovoked attacks are very rare. Dogs attack and kill more people than sea creatures do.

Mermaid Aubrie
03-24-2014, 11:50 PM
I swim in the Ocean all the time with my tail which has boat skirt thats super shiny on it as fringe thats meant to attract fishes. Just think happy thoughts & you will be fine (: Were more likely to be hurt on land than by anything in the ocean! Have fun!

Mermaid Ixa
03-24-2014, 11:53 PM
I would be mainly swimming near the boats and around the dock area where there are other boats so waves would not be a big problem for me. I also planned on going with my best friend and uncle out there. I have swam in that area before so I should be good but thanks for the advice.

I am not so worried anymore about the fish-thanks

Also I never thought about the monofin thing great that you mentioned it I will look into that.

Anahita
03-25-2014, 04:35 AM
I recommend, for safety, a fiberglass monofin for ocean swimming. And of course, to be a very strong swimmer to begin with.

I wouldn't worry much about the fish either - I've not yet had a problem with ocean-swimming and the wildlife. I have, however, had a few moments with currents that were bothersome.

Nicky-Katz
03-25-2014, 05:25 AM
Is there boat traffic? If there is, I wouldn't recommend swimming there. No boatman can see you when you are underwater. And chances to get hurt are really high. So staying out of the traffic area is crucial.
I don't want to frighten you, but, please, take care! :D

Echidna
03-25-2014, 07:07 AM
^^yep, I concur.
You won't be in much danger from fish, but boats (especially if it's motorboats!), currents and riptides are something to watch out for.
And jellyfish if they are in your region.

Mermaid Ixa
03-25-2014, 10:15 PM
There isn't really a lot of boat traffic but thanks guys for bringing that to my attention about the possible dangers :)

Nicky-Katz
03-26-2014, 04:07 AM
Take care and have a lot of fun, Ixa!