PDA

View Full Version : Leggings under your tail?

MermaidKatrina
03-26-2014, 03:46 AM
I heard somewhere that some mers put on leggings under their tails. I'm not sure why or what kind of leggings they use. Any insight on this would be nice. I know divers wear neoprene leggings (but they go up to their waist or shoulders) and a jacket. This is the wetsuit. There are either full wetsuits or two piece wetsuits. I wonder if there are neoprene leggings that don't go up as high so you could wear them under your tail. Is this to keep your body temp regulated? I don't know.... Input please? Haha :)

•Just Keep Swimming•

Mermaid Jaffa
03-26-2014, 05:59 AM
I just ordered a pair of 2mm neoprene shorts because, I don't like the boyleg cut bikini bottom that came with my tankini.

And its cold in the lap pool... Things start to shiver... Hahahaha!

Maybe they wear it for warmth too. Some of them swim in waters that can get quite cold, even in summer.

Mermaid Kelda
03-27-2014, 06:40 AM
Leggings help with keeping your tail in the one spot while swimming, and lessening some of the wrinkles. As far as I'm aware it gives silicone (and other materials?) something to grab on to more easily than just your skin.

Kelphinea_Kelp
03-27-2014, 06:51 AM
For this same reason i'm currently considering adding nude colored nylon unitards under my tails! I could even add little dabs of silicone along the inside of the tail so that what ever you wear in the tail will catch on the little dabs of silicone! It also allows me to paint or sequin or even add scales from other materials onto the nude skin color to look like a realistic waist blend! I could also do this with many other nude colored shape wear and dance wear options.. and also I can dye them to match skin colors for customers <3

Merman Arion
03-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Leggings help with keeping your tail in the one spot while swimming, and lessening some of the wrinkles. As far as I'm aware it gives silicone (and other materials?) something to grab on to more easily than just your skin.

Melaina, you have been kind of MIA recently. Any update about your Finfolk tail?? You never told us if you finally got it from customs :(

AniaR
03-27-2014, 08:45 AM
You need tights or leggings that have a sheen to them. They work the best :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Alcyone
03-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I've read in a thread somewhere(God knows where!) that some use them to prevent the tail from moving too much, and if they loose weight or there's a problem with the measures...

Mermaid Kelda
03-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Melaina, you have been kind of MIA recently. Any update about your Finfolk tail?? You never told us if you finally got it from customs :(
That's because I haven't gotten it from customs yet :( they've charged me a ridiculous amount of tax on it and I'm trying to figure out why it was so much higher than expected. It doesn't help that I'm contacting them through the shipping company so I have to wait for two separate companies to reply to each other and then to me :\

But I won't derail this thread too much haha, rest assured I'll update in the Finfolk thread as soon as I can!

Mermaid Sirena
04-01-2014, 10:34 AM
I personally have only worn leggings once and I didn't like, however my current tail is very tight & I need baby oil to easily get it on and the leggings voided all that. I've been considering trying leggings again once I get a new tail. I would suggest getting leggings that hook onto your feet or something as one of my problems was I put my legs in and even though the leggings were skin tight they moved up so I have bunched fabric in places & couldn't reach them to fix it. I think if they had hooked around my feet they wouldn't have ridden up while stuffing my legs into my tail.

Mermaid Kelda
04-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Yeah you need stockings, not leggings. The different names people call them makes it confusing sometimes!

AniaR
04-01-2014, 07:39 PM
I've worn actual leggings not stockings ;) but I wear ones with a sheen so I don't end up like Sirena

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Kelda
04-02-2014, 06:42 AM
Don't they roll up like Sirena's was doing though? Because they don't have feet in them? :thinks:

MerAnthony
04-02-2014, 07:03 AM
What about stirrup leggings? That way they don't pull up when you put the tail on.

Miyu
04-02-2014, 07:06 AM
I've been using leggings/tights under my spandex tail (haven't swam in it yet)... Smooth slick leggings for when I need it to be easy on/off, and grippier ones for keeping it in place. I also like that it helps kind of "firm up" everything so I don't have lumps and bumps when I'm in my tail :P

Mermaid Miel
04-02-2014, 07:44 AM
I wear them under my fabric tails and sometimes, when I'm practising, Instead of my tail skin. The ones I wear have a scale print in the same colour as my Merfin. So when I slip out of my tail, it's like my legs still have scales, so I'm okay. (and no-one can tell that I forgot to shave my legs again.)

Ariel-Starfish
04-02-2014, 10:38 AM
I have tried stockings for once on my (neoprene lined) tail and it really did the job! :)

Sea Pearl
04-02-2014, 09:20 PM
I sometimes wear leggings under my tail mainly because it helps keep me that extra bit warmer in the water lol But it can also make it easier when getting your tail on.

MermaidAllie
04-02-2014, 11:31 PM
I would imagine leggings would help with warmth, but also maybe to reduce skin rubbing? I don't have a tail yet so I can't say for sure, but doesn't the skin on the insides of your legs get rubbed raw after a swim? Even if you kick both feet at the same time, they are still sure to rub a bit or stick together like skin does on leather. Wearing leggings would help with all that.