PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Mermaids/Mermen

MermaidMichelle
03-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Dragons are classically-viewed as red and fire-breathing, but they also are often affiliated with water and the sea. It thus is not too surprising that there are a lot of merfolk on these boards who 'identify' as dragon mers. This thread is a place where you can talk about your own dragon mersona and/or show off your dragon mer look! (Don't worry; your outfit doesn't have to be Dragonskin to qualify!)

I shall start....

My roleplay dragon character was a Bronze Dragon; they can shapechange into animals and humanoids (such as mermaids) once they hit 16 years of age (or Level 14). I played for a one-summer weekly campaign in The World's Largest Dungeon, so I only had enough time to hit 5th-Level and get my Lightning Breath (I could fly at 4th). I really liked that Water-type dragon character and wanted to be a dragon of my own Age Category (Juvenile, starting at 26 years of age), so I ground off War Wasps in Metroid Prime's Hard Mode to make up the difference. Since Prinaaksoal (my dragon's name in the Language of Dragons I invented at 16) could already breathe lightning and I could practice my aim, it seems a good fit.

I do tend to take my dragoning rather seriously as you might have guessed, and thus even though my tail is more angelic it does contain some noticeable tributes to my Bronze Dragon character.... :pearl:

Mermaid Jaffa
03-29-2014, 09:43 PM
When I was on Cadfael's Avatars forum years ago, my character was a red western dragon with blue spots.

Western dragon, as in stands/walks on hind legs and two thick arms/fore legs, a pair of red wings, and two horns on the head.

She was an orphan dragon who lived by herself in the mountains. And liked to play tricks on others.

darksiren
10-08-2015, 12:09 AM
I have always been a very strong, sturdy kind of woman (Xena and Red Sonja were my childhood idols), and my whole life I wanted to be a mermaid--and wanted to be a dragon. In the last few years I have really embraced the dragon part of myself, and have created several sets of wings, and scale maille costume pieces, horns, etc, to create my ultimate dragon me. I have actually had difficulty designing my tail because I am having trouble with the differing desire to look ethereal and feminine, like a beta fish or a lionfish, or creepy, realistic, and deadly looking like a siren really would, with a fleshier look. Or dragony, with deep scales and wing-like fins! three whole different looks, and i'm not made of time/money. It's got my whole creative process at a stand-still.

Adalira
10-16-2015, 05:34 PM
I love everything fantasy related and love fairies, mermaids and off course dragons as well!
The one thing i would love to be able to create is a dragon armor to wear but made out of fabric so it is comfortable to wear as well as looking awesome ;-)
I have made dragon eggs and a dragon magic wands for my etsy shop and need to work on more.
The other day i saw a fb post from a leather back/backpack and it looks like a baby dragon is popping out of it. It looked absolutely amazing!
I think the price for it was around $1500 is if i'm not mistaken.
Boy oh boy did it look stunning!

MermaidMichelle
10-17-2015, 01:54 PM
You both have amazing looking avatars! darksiren, I enjoyed Red Sonja and Xena too (earlier this year I re-watched my favourite Xena: Warrior Princess episode, "Fallen Angel", which has St. Michael in it!) and believe that dragon mersonae are especially appealing to strong women. Adalira (I feel an especial connection to the Netherlands as I'm from the van Vieregge line), I would like to see your etsy and your idea of flexible armour is really very dragon-like!

My own mermaid outfit upon which Raven of Merbella Studios is working involves both flexible dragonscale armour plates (made from Dragonskin silicone) and wing-like fins, so I shall share her sketch of it here:

Adalira
10-17-2015, 02:16 PM
You both have amazing looking avatars! darksiren, I enjoyed Red Sonja and Xena too (earlier this year I re-watched my favourite Xena: Warrior Princess episode, "Fallen Angel", which has St. Michael in it!) and believe that dragon mersonae are especially appealing to strong women. Adalira (I feel an especial connection to the Netherlands as I'm from the van Vieregge line), I would like to see your etsy and your idea of flexible armour is really very dragon-like!

My own mermaid outfit upon which Raven of Merbella Studios is working involves both flexible dragonscale armour plates (made from Dragonskin silicone) and wing-like fins, so I shall share her sketch of it here:

Wow, that looks amazing! i can't wait to see the end result on that! By what time will you be receiving the outfit?

Have you been to Holland?

I was wondering, if i would like to make a dragon armour i would like to try and make it out of fabric but i would also like to attempt to make something out of silicone.
I have never worked with silicone before, from what i see you can do so much with silicone, there are a ton of options.
Something i would need to read up on a lot and do research about.
I did see we sell Dragon Skin Silicone and other silicones for costume making etc here, so that is awesome.
For now i just want to see your outfit result though, it looks so awesome!

WaterDragon
10-17-2015, 08:24 PM
Your tail design is amazing, I am so impressed with your patience and I'm sure the tail itself will be a jaw dropping work of art.

I have been Dragon obsessed since I was a child and I make and sell Polymer Clay dragon Figurines and necklaces. Someday I hope to get good enough at sewing and sculpting/costume making that I can make a Dragon themed evening gown. but for now I just sculpt and draw them.

darksiren
10-18-2015, 11:47 AM
that design is very very cool!

MermaidMichelle
10-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Thank you all so much! :mermaid kiss:

Water Dragon, a dragon-themed evening gown sounds very cool indeed! Perhaps my favourite part of the otherwise rather terrible Dungeons & Dragons film was the gold dragon gown worn by the movie's equivalent of Queen Amidala from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom of the Opera (I wish!). Here she is wearing it in one of the film's many council scenes:

and here it is on a mannequin with slightly more dragonlike footwear (I always liked long, pointed toes; they remind me of frontal talons):

Unfortunately the actress didn't have the royal discipline to appreciate such an outfit....She called it her "two-day backache"...lol

As for my own gold dragon outfit, Adalira (btw I haven't been to Holland but have a close childhood friend/lead guitarist in my old band who moved to Amsterdam), the reason why my wait period has been so uniquely long is that Raven needs to perfect her new "Dragon Scales" in order for her to proceed with its construction. It has meant an extra year of waiting, but I should be the first mermaid to be clad in a brand-new type of Merbella scale! :cheerleader:

Ashe
10-19-2015, 08:22 PM
As for my own gold dragon outfit, Adalira (btw I haven't been to Holland but have a close childhood friend who moved to Amsterdam), the reason why my wait period has been so uniquely long is that Raven needs to perfect her new "Dragon Scales" in order for her to proceed with its construction. It has meant an extra year of waiting, but I should be the first mermaid to be clad in a brand-new type of Merbella scale! :cheerleader:

Wow! I am super excited to see your tail :D And your design is gorgeous

darksiren
10-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Ooooh, i can't wait!^^

Azurin Luna
10-23-2015, 01:52 AM
Love the design, can't wait to see how it will be in the end. :D

I've also considered myself as a dragon when I was younger. My imaginary friend was a dragon, his name was Shera Kiki and he called me his dragon pup. I chose the name Dracin Shalai as my dragon name and I was a white and blue/aqua dragon. I made a lot of drawings of us together. Back then I didn't know of the game Dungeons and Dragons, only of the cartoon, but when I got into playing D&D noone let me play a dragon because they would be to powerful. So I play other water races or other races in the game, as long as it isn't human ;)

Rogue Siren
11-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Dragons and mermaids! <3

(http://leafeon-ex.deviantart.com/art/Mermaid-Astrid-556130346)

MermaidMichelle
11-18-2015, 03:10 PM
Oh, that is a beautiful picture! :mermaid kiss: