PDA

View Full Version : Annual library gig...80+ children ahhhhhh!!!!!

Mer_Adella
03-30-2014, 12:33 AM
So last year it was just me. In the rickshaw. In character. When the doors opened... Girls. Boys. Baby's to preteen rushing in to get as close to me as possible. We stopped counting after 80. And last but not least the local paper photographer who had told me only fifteen minutes before that he was upset he had to wait around for some "mermaid" who probably wasn't photogenic to begin with. I didn't bother to tell him who I was.

80+ children and i sang for 45 minutes. They Sang along too. Then I took pictures with most. Have them a sequin each (scales that fell off when I grew my new scales ;]) and answered any questions especially the one little boy that told me his mother told him mermaids didn't exist.

Well again this year the library wants mermaids again.

My my question is hat am I to do? There will be at least myself and two other mermaids this time. But I am the only singer. So what would you think that 80+ kids would like for at least 45 minutes?? Any suggestions? (It's a dry event btw)

Mermaid Harmony
03-30-2014, 12:36 AM
If it's at the library, read some mermaid books, read a book sing a song like a sing a long, and then read a book, etc.

Mer_Adella
03-30-2014, 12:41 AM
I'm tempted to get the newest mermaid novel that was written by a certain mermaid ;)

AniaR
03-30-2014, 11:18 AM
I second Harmony. Bring some natural objects like shells and seastars to pass around too, after reminding everyone if they have a shellfish allergy they shouldnt touch. If you can get your hands on toy sea creatures that helps too. I have a plushie octopus I bring, a walrus, and a plastic hermit crab.

Mermaid Saphira
03-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Reading is the best way to go, especially if you are in a library. I read to the kids when I mermaid at the library :)

Maybe you can do a mini lesson on the water bodies near by or sea life in general?

Mer_Adella
03-31-2014, 05:19 PM
I could. I just want something that all of us mermaids could do that would hold their attention. It's going to be a lot of kids from ages 1-12

Fun123joker
04-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Meradella why you so good with kids

Mer_Adella
04-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Meradella why you so good with kids

lol maybe its just me at such an early hour, but i dont understand

Fun123joker
04-06-2014, 05:33 PM
should of used HOW instead of WHY... oh well. how are you good with kids

Mer_Adella
04-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Pretty good I worked at a daycare for 4 years

AniaR
04-11-2014, 01:01 PM
I just landed one with 200 kids and I'm just gonna do all the stuff we listed here. Well both be fine adella. Can't wait to see some pics from yours.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Fun123joker
04-11-2014, 06:09 PM
im not really one with kids. i know i am pretty much a kids magnet but everytime i agree to hang out with kids it seems like the parents kinda dump them on me, i know it would be nice to have a vacation without watching them its just I cant watch kids. i have no idea what to do when they get hurt or whatever.

AniaR
04-11-2014, 07:12 PM
yes having parents dump kids is a problem, I've started becoming much more vocal about the fact I am not a babysitter.