View Full Version : Planning for my silicone tail

Mermaid Wesley
04-01-2014, 03:30 PM
I figured that until I know exactly what I'm doing, I shouldn't make a thread In the tailmaking section. For starters, I have the shape if my fluke more or less decided on!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/8ygezeqe.jpg
Tah DAH! Well, I'm not decided on colors at all. I have lots in mind but it assuredly won't be solid blue. I have been searching the boards and occasionally I still come up with questions that I can't quite find the answer to so I would like to ask them here if that's ok.

Question 1: how flexible is lexan for a monofin? I want it to be kindof stiff, should I use lexan in a silicone tail?

1.5: if I screw up and hit a fiberglass fun against the side of the pool will I break it?

2: water based clay is ok to use for fluke sculpting right?? I've seen quite a few people say to use oil based and I was curious as to why that is.

3: which colors do you all like? Here are my current favorites:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/dysajy3a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/bytejata.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/utepever.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShyMer
04-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Lexan is pretty flexible, especially if you only use one layer. I did two layers for mine and sometimes wish I had added a small third layer where it needs the most power. I think if you used layers to reinforce the parts that need more strength it would be fine for your purposes, though I'd think just buying a monofin would be less hassle.

Water based clay should be fine if you have it. You'll want to make sure nothing in the clay will inhibit the cure of your materials though. Don't let it dry out, it's easier to remove from your mold and won't crack due to drying unevenly.

I love all the colors! I would have such trouble choosing one. Good luck!

Aziara
04-01-2014, 03:56 PM
I've seen some folks use water based clay for their sculpting. The reason most use oil base clay is it will never dry out, whereas the water based will. But like ShyMer just said, if you keep it moist so it doesn't crack, water based should work fine.

PearlieMae
04-01-2014, 03:57 PM
I use oil based clay so I could come back to it over the course of weeks and continue to work on it until I got it just the way I wanted it. Water-based clay would have been so frustrating to try and keep wet! I think it is considerably cheaper, but I find that the oil based clay is infinitely easier to work with. When I pulled it from the mold, the oil in the clay acted as a release and came out in one piece!

My fin is lexan and it's mainly one piece...I have a smaller center piece to provide stiffness for propulsion, but the main/big part of the fluke is a single layer...flows nicely in the water but is stiff out of the water.

Echidna
04-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Love the shape!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/8ygezeqe.jpg

1.5: if I screw up and hit a fiberglass fun against the side of the pool will I break it?

Depends on the angle and the force, but I'd say fiberglass is more brittle than other monofin materials.
I'm handling all my fins like raw eggs, but the ones I'm most concerned breaking is the fiberglass, and the Magictail one.

I imagine especially the harder, less flexible varieties break quickly if accidentally hit on the pool side or bottom.

Mermaid Wesley
04-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the tips! The main reason I don't want to buy a monofin is that I want it to be big so I would have to modify a competitor and I'm scared to cut an expensive monofin. Plus I'm almost sure I would find a way to break it. Because I'm a huge clutz. I think I'm gonna have to play with some lexan. :) and oil based clay sounds like maybe a better choice, but it is more pricey... I was thinking that it's easier to smooth water based isn't it? I do stuff with sculpey and I have a hard time with smoothing. Maybe it's easier on a big surface? Or.... I feel like I've seen a product for thinning sculpey for easier sculpting... Am I making that up?

Echidna
04-01-2014, 04:20 PM
If you want a huge fluke but are afraid to cut a competitor, how about getting an Oceanica and modifying it a bit?
Apart from the shipping, it's very affordable and even a little bigger than a Comp ;)

Mermaid Wesley
04-01-2014, 04:25 PM
I have thought of this but I thought the competitor was bigger? I don't really like the merfin shape, either. It's pretty, just not for me. Isn't it really flexible too?

Mermaid Wesley
04-02-2014, 03:04 AM
I photoshopped my fluke on to a merbella template because I can't draw and I did a few of these. good news: I like the fluke even more now. Bad news: I'm not liking any of the same color combinations and I am bummed. The one I like most here is teal I suppose. Hm... Any tips on DECIDING STUFF?
Sorry for the bad coloring, I got lazy.

Kishiko
04-02-2014, 08:03 AM
I LOVE the maroon/mauve colored fluke, so unique to many tails! I also love the peach orange colored one (: and I can vouch for the lexan as I have one myself, they're fantastic!!! I made one that's 24x29, one layer and it cost me about $60. The best part is you can do custom shaped flukes and the propulsion is fantastic!

Aziara
04-02-2014, 09:13 AM
A good way to get an idea for colors is to make a quick survey of your closet. What colors/color combos do you have the most of? Another thing is I always immediately think of green when I think of mermaids (drat you, Ariel, lol). Is there any colors that quickly come to mind when you're thinking of the idea of mermaids as a whole? A third thing is to find a fish whose colors you love, and copy them. Hope this helps.

Ariel-Starfish
04-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Great designs u got there! The purple one looks neat! :)

Mermaid Wesley
04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm daydreaming about tailmaking *u*. As far as the lexan goes, I think I would need to see someone swim in a lexan fin to see how it looks. The closet thing is a great idea! Thanks! I think I want rich colors, and I'm going to probably avoid green because I already have a green fabric tail. Oh and I'm still torn between water and oil based clay, but I think water based is easier to sculpt and I'm not the best sculptor. I showed my mom my fluke pattern and she likes it a lot. So I'm excited :)
On a side note how many of you daydream about being a professional tailmaker because I know I do.

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

PearlieMae
04-02-2014, 03:49 PM
...Oh and I'm still torn between water and oil based clay, but I think water based is easier to sculpt and I'm not the best sculptor...

I would suggest the oil based clay. It's easier than water based and you don't have to worry about it drying, or cracking while you sculpt it. :D

Mermaid Wesley
04-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Okay. I think i will do that. ALso look i put a gif in my siggie :3

Mermaid Wesley
04-02-2014, 07:10 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/03/amegyvuh.jpg

Mermaid Wesley
04-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Im looking at lexan... Is it really .09 in thick?? that seems... not think enough at all! itold my dad and he said ".093???? ARE YOU SURE???" and i was like UM IDK AM I SURE??? so... yeah. am i sure?

BayouMermaid
04-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Yep, that's what I used.

BayouMermaid
04-02-2014, 08:07 PM
If I were you, I'd look at it in person. From the measurements, I thought that it would be too thin also, but it worked well.

Mermaid Wesley
04-02-2014, 08:10 PM
ok thank you :) also the 18 by 24 peiece that you said you used is like 120$ lol was it on sale?

BayouMermaid
04-02-2014, 08:31 PM
I paid $21 with tax. Are you looking at the same thing?

Mermaid Wesley
04-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Lol yeah

Mermaid Wesley
04-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Pfff just kidding that was bad. My brain hates me

PearlieMae
04-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Yes, .093" is it! That's what I got. I bought a 36" x 48" for $67 at Home Depot. I cut it in half and have two 24" x 36" (a bit smaller, actually, 33" is more like it) and I used the leftovers made a center foot plate plate to make the center sturdier and provide more propulsion. Works great!

It swims well without a tail, but without any real surface details, if you don't have strong ankles, you are going to get some lateral movement, and since there is no resistance, it slices through the water side to side pretty fast, and can be dangerous for people nearby. Once it is inside a fluke, you'll have better lateral control, because then you will have some resistance.

Mermaid Wesley
04-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Ooh that is great info thank you!

Mermaid Wesley
04-03-2014, 12:06 AM
I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT. I GOT MY DAD INTERESTED IN THE TAILMAKING. MY DAD BUILDS THINGS. LIKE THIS DOOR.
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?? PROJECT (INSERT A GOOD NAME HERE) IS A GO!! ITS GOING TO HAPPEN! *SCREEECH*

WOW I AM SO SORRY BOUT HOW BIG THAT IS I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX IT!!

Mermaid Adriel
04-03-2014, 06:15 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT THAT DOOR!!!! *w*

Mermaid Wesley
04-03-2014, 12:29 PM
I know isn't it great?? Here's my sister with ithttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/04/edasu2am.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/04/5ehyny9a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/04/hy4usubu.jpg
Oh! And I ordered monster clay! It should be here tomorrow! I got free two day shipping for putting in my college email on amazon :) once it arrives I'll start the actual tailmaking thread.

Mermaid Wesley
04-03-2014, 02:28 PM
EXCITING NEWS! My dad has a leftover piece of lexan from the TARDIS door project! Not sure how big, but I will definitely be using it. Hooray!

Mermaid Saphira
04-03-2014, 04:41 PM
OH my god...you have a TARDIS door?!

Mermaid Wesley
04-03-2014, 04:57 PM
I just posted pics of it yeah XD my dad made it for my sisters Christmas gift

Mermaid Wesley
04-04-2014, 03:42 AM
well, fellow mers, my monster clay Is supposed to arrive tomorrow so this is the end of this thread! Tomorrow I will begin working on it and take some pics an then I will start a new tailmaking thread. Thanks for all the help so far!

OceanRose
04-04-2014, 03:59 AM
I'm excited for you Merhopefully!!