PDA

View Full Version : Oceanika

Pages : [1] 2

Aquatarian
10-25-2011, 02:20 PM
So I was being a nerd and was on tumblr last night when I found out about an Australia based company making monofins. They are designed to look very mermaidy and are geared towards kids. They aren't up for selling as of right now but will be in the next week or so (as the website states) where they will be selling monofins (they call them "merfins") as part of their summer debut.

I am really unsure about whether they will be selling adult sized monofins or how much shipping charges would be from Australia to North America. The site is run my Mermaid Mahina and her family and they seem very cooperative about everything.

The site also says that each monofin is handcrafted and unique so the possibility of customized fins could be there.

I just thought it was a really awesome site! If you check out the gallery and some of the videos you can the different tails she has including one her husband wears.

Here's the site: http://oceanikamerfins.com/welcome-to-oceanika

(http://oceanikamerfins.com/welcome-to-oceanika)

MermaidAubrin
10-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Ooh those look cool, in one of the pictures there is an adult fin

jukumerboii
10-25-2011, 02:58 PM
yeah i saw them on tumblr as well and was reblogging all the pics i could find..i totally wanna buy one of their fins sooo bad!

LindseyLu
10-25-2011, 04:51 PM
OMG!!!!! YOU GUYS!!!! THIS IS THE MERMAID FROM THE FACT OR FAKED FOOTAGE!!!!! I KNOW YOU'VE ALL SEEN HER!!!! CHECK IT OUT!!

http://youtu.be/z_ElsEJe0Kw

IT'S HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):)

AniaR
10-25-2011, 05:05 PM
https://www.facebook.com/OceanikaMerFins?sk=wall

their FB :)

Spindrift
10-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Whelp. My jaw dropped.

APhishOutofWater
10-25-2011, 06:57 PM
OMG!!!!! YOU GUYS!!!! THIS IS THE MERMAID FROM THE FACT OR FAKED FOOTAGE!!!!! I KNOW YOU'VE ALL SEEN HER!!!! CHECK IT OUT!!

Lol That's what I thought when I first saw the website! :) Those are STUNNING! I'm totally getting one. I also like the idea of leggings that look like a tail, it's really unique. :)

jukumerboii
10-25-2011, 07:57 PM
i knew it too but it just flew over my head..wow lol

Aquatarian
10-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Awesome! We've got a group of mer-ninjas here! lol Glad to see so much has been found out since I went to work.

Someone (if not me) should post when they are up and selling! :)

AniaR
10-25-2011, 11:02 PM
they seriously have a great idea with the leggings that much the monofin for kids instead of a restrictive tail, and they make bags for them? Geesh I want a bag!

Aquatarian
10-25-2011, 11:32 PM
they seriously have a great idea with the leggings that much the monofin for kids instead of a restrictive tail, and they make bags for them? Geesh I want a bag!

I hear ya. It's simple but less problematic because after they get tied of using it, they can use it as a bathing suit plus it's a lot easier to get in and out of the water. Very kid appropriate!

I think this is gonna be another step towards making mermaiding more mainstream. And I totally agree about the bag. I would use a fluke shaped bag as a freakin' backpack if I could.

malinghi
10-26-2011, 12:29 AM
I love seeing how fast the whole mer thing is growing! I can't wait til I get a chance to add these guys to the lists of places to buy monfins!

Aquatarian
10-26-2011, 02:58 PM
AHA! I found a news article. Here's a link to it: http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2011/10/22/swimming-fishes/

I (http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2011/10/22/swimming-fishes/)t mostly talks about the owner Kazzie Mahina and her goals with starting a business like this. But there is some good news for us! For now the line of monofins is going to be geared towards children but because of demand, they hope to begin making adult sized monofins once the company has gotten on it's feet and the line of children's fins have steadied. Did I mention that they are made from 100% recycled rubber? ;)

Mermaid Lorelei
10-26-2011, 11:26 PM
On the site it said something about being open in seven days. Whether this is true or not, I can't affirm. That's simply what it said.

http://oceanikamerfins.com/oceanika-store

AniaR
10-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Did I mention that they are made from 100% recycled rubber?

awesome sause!

Aquatarian
10-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Alright well it looks like the site is up and running for sale purposes. I got my hands on the size chart they have here:
http://www.oceanikamerfins.com/images/stories/size_chart.png

From some conversions it looks like the largest monofin available would fit a woman's size 6-8 or men's 5-7 (US/Canada) so those of you with small feet are the lucky one's at the moment.

It looks like from the measurements (cm) that the largest fin represented in the size chart is bigger than the finis competitor. Which is pretty big!

If and when they develop the adult sized monofins, they are probably gonna be huge! Haha You know what they say about big fins!!! xD

Spindrift
10-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Teehee I can fit into the women's sizes. :D
...What do they say about big fins? :|

LindseyLu
10-27-2011, 06:42 PM
The prices are so reasonable too! And shipping to the US is only $50.00!!!!! Damn I wish I had smaller feet!!!! ;)

Aquatarian
10-27-2011, 10:05 PM
...What do they say about big fins? :|
LOL. Oh my gosh, you crack me up. It's like the mer-version of, "You know what they say about big feet..." :D

Spindrift
10-28-2011, 01:48 AM
LOL. Oh my gosh, you crack me up. It's like the mer-version of, "You know what they say about big feet..." :D

Hah I got it. I was trying to be cute. I wonder what that means about female mers with big fins.

Aquatarian
10-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Hah I got it. I was trying to be cute. I wonder what that means about female mers with big fins.

Oh my gosh you're right. That makes me curious and scared at the same time. haha

Winged Mermaid
10-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Those are awesome!! And what a kid friendly concept- scaled bathing suit, leggings, and a bag to carry it in. I love the shape of the flukes, and how big they are! I really hope they can get steady enough to offer adult sizes!

AniaR
10-30-2011, 07:14 PM
SO MANY MERMAID COSTUME MAKERS MAKES ME HAPPY

-Annwyn-
11-19-2011, 08:03 AM
I have just ordered an Oceanika monofin - I'll do a review one I get it and test it out! :D :D

Mermaid Saphira
11-19-2011, 09:37 AM
OHHHH! Exciting! Do show pictures!! :)

Spindrift
11-23-2011, 03:23 AM
... I wonder where she got the capital and resources to start the company?

Rangerbrook
12-10-2011, 12:13 PM
This is GREAT!! They now sell just the fins. My daughter has a top that she wares and now with the new bigger fin I can cover it with fabric just as I did with her smaller fin. I have ordered one but the shipping was 85.00. :( I will wait for the review though. That is a lot of money for me at the moment.

-Annwyn-
01-08-2012, 10:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTfA_Ezhang&context=C324566bADOEgsToPDskL_--ggUEsLDRaFEaiBfEhq

This is the review of the Oceanika Monofin. Enjoy, and I apologise for my incessant stammering.

Anita Mermaid
01-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Thank you for posting the video!!

malinghi
01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I hope you don't mind, I just changed the video link to an embedded video. If you'd prefer for people to watch it on youtube I can change it back.

That's a really informative helpful review. Thanks for making it. Also, what kind of camera did you use to film this? It looks really good.

Mermaid Saphira
01-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the review! You did a good job and it's OKay I stammer alot on camera LOL :D

-Annwyn-
01-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Malinghi - it's all good- thanks for embedding it! The camera I currently use is the Olympus Stylus Tough 3000.

Mermaid Hamant
01-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I really want one of these!!! Perfect for putting into a tail! You wouldn't have to cut it or anything. :)

Nim
02-10-2012, 11:38 AM
@Mermaid Hamant I have the same idea *.*

LindseyLu
02-10-2012, 11:50 AM
http://youtu.be/VvYEmx4RORo

looks like she put an oceanika merfin in her tail! :)

-Annwyn-
02-10-2012, 12:00 PM
looks like she put an oceanika merfin in her tail! :)

She certainly did! It was a pleasant surprise to discover that this monofin folds in half so easily, so it can be slipped into a tail. I do this with mine and let me tell you, the effect is WAY better than with any finis fin! Like I said in my video review, the only real thing to take into consideration is that you WILL not go fast in an Oceanika fin. If you want speed, get a Finis Competitor, but if you want an effective mermaid fin, this is the way to go! :)

-Annwyn-
02-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I should actually do a video demonstrating how easy it is to manoeuvre the Oceanika fin.

Alveric
02-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Would an Oceanika fin fit in a Mermagica or Magictail tail? Can a beginner use one well?

Alveric

-Annwyn-
02-10-2012, 12:17 PM
A beginner can certainly use this fin, Alveric! But note though: If you want to perfect your dolphin kick, I'd suggest a finis rapid - only because it has a stiffer plastic blade and the oceanika is made entirely of recycled rubber.

It won't fit into a magictail.de tail and I don't know if it'll fit into a mermagica. But dude, just make your own tail to go over it. It's easy to make!

Mermaid Saphira
02-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Very cool video! It's pretty cool to see someone use this monofin in their tail :D

Moonflower
02-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Any idea if they will be making the "boys" fin seen here:

I REALLY prefer the shape of it to the "girls" one.

Mermaid Saphira
02-10-2012, 10:35 PM
^ Me 2! That looks super cool :D

taom
02-11-2012, 12:56 AM
I agree! It's much less fantastical in shape, which is nice. We should send them a note about it! (Also, that man is very attractive. Just thought I might point that out.)

Nim
02-11-2012, 04:42 AM
I quote Taom ;)
Thank you Aela for your review

mermaidondine
02-11-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm curious, do you guys think there's any way to paint an Oceanika? Since its recycled rubber is there a paint that can be used on it that'd be both waterproof, and wouldn't chip with the flexibility of the fin? From the looks of some of the photos it appears that Mahina painted her fin, which I've been thinking about doing myself :} Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions?

koiboi
02-12-2012, 02:37 AM
hmmm my question would be: does anyone know how well it swims? if its bigger than the competitor does that also mean it can hold its own in open water as well?

Mermaid Saphira
02-12-2012, 08:17 AM
^ I think someone metioned on here that it is not for speeding throught the water as you can with a competitor, it's more of a relax monofin

Alveric
02-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Which is why we are interested in it. I think she's decided to use it as the base for making her second tail, if she likes the first. We'll probably order the first when the weather gets warmer. Not many indoor pools around here for winter swimming.

Alveric

-Annwyn-
02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
hmmm my question would be: does anyone know how well it swims? if its bigger than the competitor does that also mean it can hold its own in open water as well?

Again, as I said in my review video, it doesn't propel you as far/fast as a finis competitor would. It's more flexible, and it's made of rubber, whereas the finis competitor is made with a fibreglass fluke. That said, it swims reasonably well and looks more natural then a competitor or rapid as it is less rigid. :)

SweeteSiren
03-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Any idea if they will be making the "boys" fin seen here:

I REALLY prefer the shape of it to the "girls" one.

Moonflower, you're right, that shape is much more natural. Still...the shape of the fin was SO not what I was looking at in this picture...

Mermaid Dottie
03-30-2012, 01:28 PM
I actually have an oceanika merfin. I chose it for my first material tail, and I really do like it. It pinched my feet at first, but I tried putting it on wet, and that helped, and then later stuck it in the hot tub. That helped bunches. Now, as long as I put it on wet (with my feet wet, too, of course) it's mostly comfortable. It's pretty big too. propels fairly well. I'm thinking of ways I might paint it with silicone....
Here's a vid of me swimming in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IXkvS21AdE&feature=plcp&context=C4a1fc49VDvjVQa1PpcFMUDeDe8J-qlMV4wQmzo8yrcX5NhwRdJco%3D
There is no extra fabric hanging off the end, it's just the size of the fin.
Pretty much, I love my Merfin!

Tasha Mermaid
04-25-2012, 09:05 AM
This is what I'm buying this week, I'm Australian and don't live all that far from where they are based (well not in Australia's idea of "far") I'm 23 (almost 24) and i will be using this merfin as my fin for my very first tail, Mahina is great and her fins are perfect :)

Tasha Mermaid
04-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Mahina doesn't make tails, only the "merfin" on her site, both her and her (husband boyfriend i think) tails are handmade one of a kinds so no they won't be remade (i read her thing about it) i just adore his tail, love the whole Orca tail :)

Moonflower
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Mahina doesn't make tails, only the "merfin" on her site, both her and her (husband boyfriend i think) tails are handmade one of a kinds so no they won't be remade (i read her thing about it) i just adore his tail, love the whole Orca tail :)

I didn't mean I wanted the entire tail, I mean the fluke. Her fluke is the one she's been making to sell on her site, I was wondering if she was going to do the same with his.

And, I agree, it is hard to look at the shape of the fluke when the man is so attractive LOL

Tasha Mermaid
05-05-2012, 01:04 AM
I didn't mean I wanted the entire tail, I mean the fluke. Her fluke is the one she's been making to sell on her site, I was wondering if she was going to do the same with his.

And, I agree, it is hard to look at the shape of the fluke when the man is so attractive LOL

hmm she hasn't made any hints towards making the orca tail fluke design so I'm guessing not ..sad because its gorgeous....... and yes i agree the guy is good looking :P

Lyrique
05-07-2012, 10:49 PM
My friend and I both have merfins from Oceanika. We got them about 2 months ago. We got them in adult sizes - She got the blue one in a large, and I got the coral colored one in a medium. (I've got small feet - size 5-6). Anyway, I had the opportunity to try hers last month and it was fabulous (i hadn't yet received mine yet)!!! She also has a finis wave monofin, which I have used several times too. I LOVE the oceanika merfin SO SO SO much more compared to the monofin!! Even wearing the merfin in a size slightly too big, it didn't slip off at all! It really propels you, very realistic to wearing an actual tail! I find the competitor monofin flimsy feeling in the water. It works, but you just don't get the "umph" from it like you do with a full tail. The Oceanika merfin was really, really great, and I am super excited for it to warm up a bit more outside and I can head to a lake and get some good use from mine :D!

Lyrique
05-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Oh, and true to the website, even though it's being shipped from Australia to the USA, we both received ours within 7 days!

Mermaid Marissa
05-09-2012, 10:58 PM

I totally saw this episode too XD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=M5WHmP6vgIw)

Alveric
05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
There's a short snippit of another Mer-video in their opening credits for this season. I have no idea if they're going to do anything with it though.

AniaR
05-10-2012, 12:48 PM

lol <3 I love you woman XD

babsannee
05-10-2012, 09:41 PM
haha BUT ITS SO TRUE

DoubleOSix
05-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Oh, and true to the website, even though it's being shipped from Australia to the USA, we both received ours within 7 days!

Hi everyone! :D

I'm new here at the forum and only found it by chance.
I've been thinking of getting a tail for many years, but I picked up a finis competitor about four years ago and have been really happy with it. Then, last night I found out about the Oceanika fin. I wanted some reviews and came here from a google search.

First I just want to say thanks for all the information about the product. I know enough now not expect great speeds from this but just a fabulous look that monofin could never give.

I placed the order today and will report back once it arrives.
I will say I was a little worried about entering my credit card information on the site.
It seemed unsecure especially since it was a foreign site. But only proceeded because a few others on this site had already done so.

gypsymer
05-22-2012, 07:05 PM
I just gave the url to a mom and daughter who rode on the paddleboat I work on. The daughter swims with a dolphin kick and I think this would be a great next step since I was showing her pics of my mer tail. The mom even got my phone and facebook page info so she can share with me if she buys it for her daughter ^_^

DoubleOSix
05-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I wonder how heavy it is? I was reading the other post / YouTube review that it's pretty neutral in the water, but seeing that it's all rubber I would think it weighs quite a bit.

Mermaid Dottie
05-25-2012, 08:09 PM
It's not too heavy, about 3 or 4 pounds. Mostly they're just floppy.

DoubleOSix
05-26-2012, 12:13 AM
It's not too heavy, about 3 or 4 pounds. Mostly they're just floppy.

I'm excited for it to arrive. I thinking of selling my competitor fin once the oceanika arrives since I'm only swimming in the pool these days.

Dacora
05-26-2012, 05:19 AM
I'm curious, do you guys think there's any way to paint an Oceanika? Since its recycled rubber is there a paint that can be used on it that'd be both waterproof, and wouldn't chip with the flexibility of the fin? From the looks of some of the photos it appears that Mahina painted her fin, which I've been thinking about doing myself :} Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions?

Thats what I was wondering as well. I have been told no but I might be getting one and I will have the paint for my fabric anyways s might as well try right?

I actually have an oceanika merfin. I chose it for my first material tail, and I really do like it. It pinched my feet at first, but I tried putting it on wet, and that helped, and then later stuck it in the hot tub. That helped bunches. Now, as long as I put it on wet (with my feet wet, too, of course) it's mostly comfortable. It's pretty big too. propels fairly well. I'm thinking of ways I might paint it with silicone....
Here's a vid of me swimming in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IXkvS21AdE&feature=plcp&context=C4a1fc49VDvjVQa1PpcFMUDeDe8J-qlMV4wQmzo8yrcX5NhwRdJco%3D
There is no extra fabric hanging off the end, it's just the size of the fin.
Pretty much, I love my Merfin!

Is yours inside fabric? Or is it painted? I cant tell in the videos.

Mermaid Annariea
05-26-2012, 09:32 PM
i really hope theyll make the whale-shaped fins. those are much more my style, but the ones they make now are definitely gorgeous. i would totally buy one of the whale ones, especially since its recycled rubber. that makes me happy :3

DoubleOSix
06-08-2012, 12:44 AM
I got my oceanika! It took about a week to arrive, that was with the standard $25 shipping.

Im selling my competitor mono fin... The oceanika is everything a mermaid could want!

Its sturdy and well made. I am always worried about damage to the Fiberglass fin. Especially when I used to swim in the ocean with it near rocks and such. Standing on the tail was always something to be cautious of. The rubber of the oceanika is worry free.

Its already shaped. I was just in the other forum considering buying a dremel to cut a fin I already spent $200 on.

The motion of the fin is fluid. The fiberglass can not recreate this movement.

The propulsion is great. Yes, there is a speed downgrade here. I think the trade off is worth it. If the competitor fin speed was a 10 then this fin speed would be an 8.

The price. I think for $170 you can not beat it. I paid that for my fiberglass fin to pretend I was a mermaid. The oceanika gives SO much more at the price.

I'll post some pictures soon.

DoubleOSix
06-08-2012, 12:45 AM
i really hope theyll make the whale-shaped fins. those are much more my style, but the ones they make now are definitely gorgeous. i would totally buy one of the whale ones, especially since its recycled rubber. that makes me happy :3

The fin is soooo awesome, I'd buy one in another shape as well.

DoubleOSix
06-08-2012, 01:12 AM
She certainly did! It was a pleasant surprise to discover that this monofin folds in half so easily, so it can be slipped into a tail. I do this with mine and let me tell you, the effect is WAY better than with any finis fin! Like I said in my video review, the only real thing to take into consideration is that you WILL not go fast in an Oceanika fin. If you want speed, get a Finis Competitor, but if you want an effective mermaid fin, this is the way to go! :)

I wonder if they have done some changes to the tails?
I noticed in the video your tail looks sort of floppy, mine is much more stiff. (I have the blue one?)

My tail swims quite fast in comparison to the competitor. Not as fast of course, but fast enough.

DoubleOSix
06-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Oceanika vs Competitor

LindseyLu
06-08-2012, 02:55 PM
DoubleOsix thank you so much for posting that image!!!! What a perfect visual! I was considering buying some of these but wasn't sure if they'de be big enough...now I'm sold! <3<3<3 Thank you sooo much for all the input!!!

DoubleOSix
06-08-2012, 03:14 PM
DoubleOsix thank you so much for posting that image!!!! What a perfect visual! I was considering buying some of these but wasn't sure if they'de be big enough...now I'm sold! <3<3<3 Thank you sooo much for all the input!!!

You are very welcome! ;)

Orion
06-08-2012, 03:24 PM
This has some serious implications for the whole movement. One of the things that keeps your average joe/jane from getting into it, is getting the first tail, or at least a presentable one. Looking at shoveling out at least 500 for a neoprene piece and the 3-5k price tag on a full silicone tail can make any person weary about getting into this hobby/ lifestyle. With this, we have an easier access point where people can get their feat wet, no pun intended. This might be a major factor in making this more accessible to a greater number of people. Cool stuff. I'm excited

Winged Mermaid
06-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Wow, that thing is big! Man, am I ever tempted! I'm saving up for a silicone tail though. Must.. resist.. beautiful.. fin!

Mermaid Dottie
06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm excited for it to arrive. I thinking of selling my competitor fin once the oceanika arrives since I'm only swimming in the pool these days. how much would you sell it for?
and what size feet do you have?

DoubleOSix
06-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Wow, that thing is big! Man, am I ever tempted! I'm saving up for a silicone tail though. Must.. resist.. beautiful.. fin!
Don't resist! Just give in! It's sooooo worth it!

DoubleOSix
06-08-2012, 11:25 PM
This has some serious implications for the whole movement. One of the things that keeps your average joe/jane from getting into it, is getting the first tail, or at least a presentable one. Looking at shoveling out at least 500 for a neoprene piece and the 3-5k price tag on a full silicone tail can make any person weary about getting into this hobby/ lifestyle. With this, we have an easier access point where people can get their feat wet, no pun intended. This might be a major factor in making this more accessible to a greater number of people. Cool stuff. I'm excited

Yes! Orion! You get what I'm saying! This is huge for us merfolk!

Spindrift
06-08-2012, 11:28 PM
how much would you sell it for?
and what size feet do you have?

I'd like to know too :|

DoubleOSix
06-08-2012, 11:34 PM
I'd like to know too :|

Sending pm now

Lyrique
06-09-2012, 02:01 AM
I am having an Oceanika merfin put in my new tail that is currently being made for me by mermaid parties! I am super, super excited, and once I get it, I will post pictures! I am looking forward to trying out a new tail with a different type of fin. Currently i'm used to swimming in the mertailor's latex tails and also an oceanika merfin by itself. Update to come soon :D!

Mermaid Annariea
06-10-2012, 01:33 AM
hey guys, guess what?
i emailed mahina and them at oceanika, and they said theyre going to release the whale-shaped merfins in 2013. :DD
i hope its early in 2013. i LOVE LOVE LOVE THAT SHAPE. haha.
but anyways, im planning on getting a tail from mermaid parties with an oceanika (: im quite excited.

Mermaid Lorelei
06-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Oooh, I'm glad to hear they decided to release the whale design. It's a lovely shape.

Mermaasai
06-10-2012, 02:01 AM
oh baller!!!! I am looking forward to that ^.^

DoubleOSix
06-10-2012, 01:04 PM
hey guys, guess what?
i emailed mahina and them at oceanika, and they said theyre going to release the whale-shaped merfins in 2013. :DD
but anyways, im planning on getting a tail from mermaid parties with an oceanika (: im quite excited.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that with us!

Mermaid Miel
06-11-2012, 07:12 AM
The first time that I saw this thread, I checked out the site, but the monofin was too pricey for me then, especially when you add postage.

I recently checked out the site and clicked where to buy... and there was a shop not too far away from my city! :yay:

My Birthday is coming up in August & I know what I'm going to ask my Internet-shop-phobic parents to buy me!

spottedcatfish
06-14-2012, 03:56 AM
I want to get one and they are selling them in my size, well almost. I have a 6 1/2 foot size, and I can fit into a size six if I have to.. I have to get one of these!

spottedcatfish
06-14-2012, 03:59 AM
hey guys, guess what?

Ooh on the other hand i may wait!!!

leeloo
06-15-2012, 02:03 AM
I wanted to make myself a fabric tail with an Oceanic Merfin but it is still more than I would like to spend. I'm still considering it because I love the shape and think it would look a lot better in a fabric tail than my finis monofin, even if I cut it (which I would have to buy tools for anyway). Still, I am one broke mermaid. :(

Mermaid Annariea
06-15-2012, 03:56 AM
i thought about waiting for the whale-shaped oceanika merfin to come out... but i want a tail so bad.
and leeloo, if you really like it, then go for it (:

Spindrift
06-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Ooh on the other hand i may wait!!!

You can always have more than one tail! :)

Lyrique
06-23-2012, 02:50 AM
Here's a fun picture playing in my Oceanika fin from today at the lake :D!

Lyrique
06-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Here's a video of us "splashing around" today in Oceanika Merfins :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEAKOg1CnPw

Tiffany J Michie
07-01-2012, 09:07 PM
For those of you in Australia who are interested in the Oceanika Merfins they are now available in store at CleverDicks stores. I cant wait to get one!!!

Dacora
08-04-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't know if you guys noticed this but they changed the price of the merfin. It is now 89 dollars for all sizes.
I wish they did this when I got paid, I could have gotten it then. x.x

Winged Mermaid
08-04-2012, 07:57 PM
I don't know if you guys noticed this but they changed the price of the merfin. It is now 89 dollars for all sizes.

Thanks for the heads up Dacora!

I just wish the shipping wasn't so much X_x $65 (68.66 USD) for shipping is so much! That's a total of $162.68 I could buy a fiberglass monofin from Leaderfins for $159.24 with shipping and all other charges. The fiberglass has more power, but the Oceanika has a beautiful shape. ... *indecisive*

Lyna
08-04-2012, 08:30 PM
swam in my oceanika for the first time and it was a DREAM!
only had to do some heat altering before hand because the biggest size is a size too small. it's amazing now. i don't ever want to use another monofin ever!

Lyna
08-04-2012, 09:04 PM

wait. WHAT?!?!?! i just bought one a week ago and paid $180 after shipping. omg!

Dacora
08-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dacora!

I just wish the shipping wasn't so much X_x $65 (68.66 USD) for shipping is so much! That's a total of $162.68 I could buy a fiberglass monofin from Leaderfins for $159.24 with shipping and all other charges. The fiberglass has more power, but the Oceanika has a beautiful shape. ... *indecisive*
You are welcome!! I would go with the Oceanika. But that's just me. I love it's shape and the way it flows. If I could get it right now I would.

@lyna
Yup they lowered the price. I feel sorry for the mers who paid so much for it. :(

Mermaid Saphira
08-04-2012, 09:28 PM

I certainly hope they keep this price until they re-lease the whale shped fluke! I want it so badly!

Mermaid Allie
09-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I'm new to mermaiding (only one swim in my fabric tail) but I have been swimming my whole life so the mermaid motion isn't a problem at all. I plan on ordering a latex tail from fish butts very soon, but I don't know whether to get the tail with the finis wave monofin or wait another month and get an oceanika Merlin tail. It's just that I'm not sure if the oceanika is worth the extra hundred dollars, then with the combination of my tail, top, and tax, I'll be spending 400 dollars on a tail, which is A LOT of dough to drop on a tail for a 15 year old girl. Is it really worth it? Is the propulsion better and are the heels less visible in the tail?

Dacora
09-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I'm new to mermaiding (only one swim in my fabric tail) but I have been swimming my whole life so the mermaid motion isn't a problem at all. I plan on ordering a latex tail from fish butts very soon, but I don't know whether to get the tail with the finis wave monofin or wait another month and get an oceanika Merlin tail. It's just that I'm not sure if the oceanika is worth the extra hundred dollars, then with the combination of my tail, top, and tax, I'll be spending 400 dollars on a tail, which is A LOT of dough to drop on a tail for a 15 year old girl. Is it really worth it? Is the propulsion better and are the heels less visible in the tail?

If you are willing to pay that much for it and can afford it then do it, if I had the money I would. I was going to get the merfin but right now my budget wont allow it. I am really loving my finis wave though. If you don't like it after you buy then you can always sell the tail here. To be honest 400 is worth it in my opinion and is a good price, fish butts does really nice work from what I have seen.

Melbourne Mermaid
09-28-2012, 08:23 AM
I enquired recently about the Orca monofin and when it might be released, this is what they had to say

"Thanks for your enquiry. It would be closer towards the end of 2013 as we are currently flat out with our existing product range."

So those holding out for it, you'll be waiting for awhile. I received my merfin from them recently but have yet to test it out

Mermaid Allie
09-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks! I think I'm gonna wait until my birthday and then buy it! I can afford it now that I'm selling my one direction ticket

Mermaid Annariea
12-13-2012, 02:14 PM
I enquired recently about the Orca monofin and when it might be released, this is what they had to say

"Thanks for your enquiry. It would be closer towards the end of 2013 as we are currently flat out with our existing product range."

So those holding out for it, you'll be waiting for awhile. I received my merfin from them recently but have yet to test it out

D': NOOOOOOOOOO.
I WANTED THE ORCA SHAPED FLUKE SO BAD IN THE SILICONE TAIL IM PLANNING ON GETTING.
fml. what do they mean, "flat out with our existing product range"?

Merrow Fair Isle
12-13-2012, 02:22 PM
D': NOOOOOOOOOO.
I WANTED THE ORCA SHAPED FLUKE SO BAD IN THE SILICONE TAIL IM PLANNING ON GETTING.
fml. what do they mean, "flat out with our existing product range"?

"flat out" means busy...markedly busy nearing the point of being overwhelmed or exhausted. :)

Mermaid Annariea
12-13-2012, 02:47 PM
"flat out" means busy...markedly busy nearing the point of being overwhelmed or exhausted. :)

thanks for explaining that haha.
that sucks :(

Elle
12-13-2012, 04:43 PM
i pretty sure i'm getting the standard merfin for Christmas. otherwise there is a very strangely shaped present under the tree for me :)

Spindrift
12-13-2012, 07:00 PM
@Elle: Haha that's funny :D

Mermaid Mandi
12-16-2012, 01:43 AM
I have always wanted one of the mertailor realistic mermaid tais well who doesn't they are way to cool and they look like real mermaid tais well of course that they are to much money so much money that I coudn't get one at the time because I could not afford them at all no one could. Well I started searching all over for cheaper mermaid tails when I cam across this site Oceanika Merfins after seeing the pictures and videos I just had to buy one and the price was aforibe that I bought one. I got my merfin in the mail on September. 4, 2012 at 5:00pm at the post office the box was so big that my eyes was like wow. When I took it out the box I was so happy that I did a video on it took allot of pictures and put it on my facebook page and I have been making all different kinds of mermaid fabric tails with my merfin and I just cant stop wearing it. Now I am a Mermaid Entertainer they call me Mermaid Mandi nice to meet you all by the way.

Mermaid Saphira
12-17-2012, 04:26 PM
I just recieved and auto reply message from Oceanika, thought this might be useful information to all of you....

"Shello,Thank you for your enquiry! Mermaid Mania has hit new heights with demand for Oceanika products continuing to skyrocket!!

Oceanika MerFins is currently experiencing overwhelmingly high volumes of emails. Due to the large volumes of enquiries we have put together this auto reply with some important information and answers to many of the 'Frequently Asked Questions'. We ask if you might be kind enough to check through this list and see if your question can be answered here. If you definitely need further assistance, please email us again and express that your question was not addressed in the this auto reply and we will endeavour to get back to you as soon as we can, but please note it may be 2-3 days before we can get back to you. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

** If you have an enquiry about an order you have already placed and paid for - please email purchase@oceanikamerfins.com. (http://mernetwork.com/mc/compose?to=purchase@oceanikamerfins.com.) If you have not placed and paid for an order online please do not send emails to this address.
WE ARE TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK:
Due to this overwhelmingly huge wave of demand and craze for the MerFin, we are sorry to inform you that we have now temporarily sold out of the MerFin stock in all colours and sizes. The whole shipment due here on the 7th of December has been completely pre-sold before it has even hits the shores! We have another shipment on the way, but sadly not due till the middle of January. We are still taking your orders if you place them now, but unfortunately any MerFins ordered from here on will not be making it in time for the Christmas tree, they will be sent out to you by mid January 2013. We are so sorry to disappoint so many little mermaids for Christmas, and we hope that they may be consoled by the promise of their late MerFin arrival in January - in time for the second half of summer play.
If you would still like to secure your MerFin from the next shipment, we encourage you do so quickly as again we are selling out of this next shipment very very fast!!
** We are currently temporarily out of stock of the following swimwear items until February 2013. Please come back and order these items then when they are in stock as we cannot ship partial or incomplete orders -
a. Aqua Marine size 6
b. Aqua Marine size 8
c. Coral Pink size 8
d. Coral Pink size 10
e. Coral Pink size 12
Below are some further FAQ’s which may answer your query.
1. Shipping times for Australia and International - Standard and Express?
Standard Australia 3-5 business days
Standard International 7-10 business days
Express Australia 1-3 business days
Express International 3-5 business days
2. Delivery?

What happens if I am not home when my parcel is attempted to be delivered? – We use Australia post in Australia who then combines with local government postal agencies overseas. If you are not home, the postman will typically leave a note in your letter box advising you of the nearest post office where you can pick up your order.
3. Oceanika Sizing?
For all enquiries regarding sizes of our MerFins or swimwear, please refer to our size chart which is located on our online store just underneath our product prices or you can view it by clicking on this link http://www.oceanikamerfins.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=1&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28
As all shoe manufacturers sizes vary, the most accurate measurement to go by for fins is the foot pocket length. You should measure the foot from heel to toe and then compare this with the fin that has a foot pocket length that is the closest to this measurement, allowing for a little extra room for the toes at the front.
It would really help us if you can use this chart which is very accurate and easy to follow, as we often walk people through this when all the information is actually there. We understand that it is nice to have a person walk you through it, but at the moment we are so short of staff and high in demands so we would be so grateful if you could take a good look at this before asking us. If you are still unsure and can't work it out, then by all means come back to us and let us know you are still unsure. We will then endeavour to get back you and help you as best as we can.
4. What ages are appropriate for the MerFins?
MerFins are for ages 5 or 6 years up to adults with size 7 feet ( sometimes size 8 feet like to squeeze in). A lot of people enquire about whether they can buy the XS MerFin and XS swimwear for their 3-4 year olds. We have sold to a lot of little ones this extra small size, as they often like them for playing in the bath or wearing them while watching the Little Mermaid, H2O or Barbie Mermaid movie in the lounge room. With adult supervision and floaties (floatation devices) on their arms or body they will work for them to swim around in. If they wear thick booties or socks to fill the foot pocket the MerFin can stay on quite well. It is important that they are with an adult at all times and the floatation devices are on. Mums can also sew in the MerLeg tights so they stay up, until they grow into them. Here is a video link of Mahina's niece at 3 and a half years old swimming in the pool with her floaties on her arms to give you an idea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x9TkcxNssc
5. Mahina Mermaid real-life handmade tails?
The outfits worn by Mahina Mermaid are one off pieces of art that are individually handmade. Unfortunately the amount of time and energy that goes into making them, makes them commercially unviable for us to make for others. Mahina uses this outfit for demonstration and promotional purposes only to help introduce people to the concept of Mermaiding and to assist in bringing peoples attention to her environmental campaign work for cleaning up the beaches and our oceans.

Mahina is an extremely strong swimmer and an accomplished free diver who is able to hold her breath for just over 5 minutes under water, so she is very comfortable with having her legs enclosed within a tail. The outfits available for sale to the general public have separate swim wear and fins which are not attached, which is part of the safety built into the design. This makes the outfits fun, functional and safe to use as the legs can be free with just one flick of the ankle strap, while at the same time allowing people to experience the exhilaration of swimming like a mermaid or a dolphin.
6. The 'Check Out' button on the online store doesn't seem to be working?
Please make sure once you select your colours and sizes that you press the button 'Add to Bag' - then press the 'Check Out' button.
7. Oceanika website not processing your credit card?

1. Please ensure you are using either a visa card or Master Card as these are the only cards the site will process.
2. When entering the numbers make sure you do not leave any spaces between the blocks of 4 digit numbers as they are displayed on your credit card. Ie enter the number as one long 16 digit number.
3. Ensure you enter the correct expiry date and not just use the default date which is the current month we are in.
4. Ensure you enter the last three digits of the security number on the reverse side of your card.

8. Current Stockists?
We currently are only available in stores in Australia & New Zealand. Please visit our 'Where To Buy" page on our website to find out your closest or local stockist of Oceanika MerFins - http://www.oceanikamerfins.com/where-to-buy
If you are from anywhere else on the globe please use our online store, we do ship worldwide.
9. Any Retailers or Distributors Interested in MerFins?
Please leave us all your details and we will reply to you very soon. Thank you.
10. All Media and Publicity enquiries?
Please email Melissa Barret at Hummingbird PR - melissa@hummingbirdpr.com.au (http://mernetwork.com/mc/compose?to=melissa@hummingbirdpr.com.au)
We hope that this email has helped with your query. These are obviously very exciting times for us (albeit a little overwhelming at the moment). We would really like to express our sincere gratitude to all our customers for your support and interest in riding the new and magical waves of Mermaiding with us…
Best Fishes,
The Mer of Oceanika"

Mermaid Bella
12-18-2012, 05:16 AM
has anyone been successful in finding out if they will make them in adult sizes? i never got a reply.

-Annwyn-
12-18-2012, 05:20 AM
has anyone been successful in finding out if they will make them in adult sizes? i never got a reply.

Not sure about the future, but I believe I may have mentioned before that I am a size 9.5 and the large Merfin fits me just fine!

Mermaid Bella
12-18-2012, 10:37 AM
wait.... WHAT?? you never mentioned that to me! reveal your secrets fish woman! with great detail! so.... a large MIGHT fit a 10....

Elle
12-18-2012, 05:47 PM
I think it's better to measure your foot. The largest size Oceanika offer is a 24.2 foot pocket. I tried one on it a store as my foot measures 24.6.
I think if the foot pocket was more foot shaped or I cut the toe open a little bit I'd be fine.
I've asked for one for christmas anyway, so if i get one i'll let you know

Mermaid Bella
12-19-2012, 02:50 AM
wow this is like aus mers unite thread, i love it, yes please let me know how it goes, if i had have known there was a chance it would fit then i would have asked for it for christmas.... lol

Melbourne Mermaid
12-19-2012, 08:26 PM
I've heard of a size 9 fitting the large, but not higher. Good luck.

Has anyone tried stretching or changing the shape of there oceanika fin? Unfortunately when mine arrived the ends of the fins where bent and misshaped. I thought after a few swims it might be ok but the ends are still a bit curled. I thought maybe of heating it to bend it back, but am worried i will wreck the fin

Shadow Fancy
12-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I did reshape the pocket so it fit my foot better. If you're having trouble with the ends, let it lay flat for a few days and put something a bit heavy on the ends to help it lay flat. I tried heating, but didn't seem to work at all, so I resorted to just cutting it open wider

Edit: Here's the link to my original review, before and after pictures. Since I opened the opening of the foot pocket up more, I've not run into issues with my foot cramping as horribly as it did during the first swim~ Lexi's Oceanika (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3165-Oceanika-Merfin)

Mermaid Bella
12-23-2012, 09:06 PM
as its recycled rubber, the best thing to do is dip it in boiled water and then let it spoften a little bit, then instantly put it under something flat and heavy, like pressing flowers, but do some research first, if the rubber has other weird products in it, it might make them more warpy.

i know some girls have heated points with lighters and blow torches and stretched the rubber, but this runs the risk of making weak points so the water would make it more even :)

Elle
01-02-2013, 02:19 AM
So!
I did get a merfin for christmas! just thought I'd update you on that. The foot pockets are very tight! but roomy on the inside where your toes fit.
I did have to cut the openings for my feet to get in and that makes it easier and easier still if it's wet first!
as for the length. the pockets very rounded at the end so there was no room for my big toe (stupid toe!) for the best fit I recommend grabbing your tape measure and measuring from your heel to your middle toe. If this is 24.2cm and your big toe is longer that this you aren't going to fit.
I had to cut mine so that my big feet have that extra room. while it's not attractive it does the job, and I figure that once I have a completed tail (however long that will take) you won't see it anyway.
The fin does come with a card attached that says that you would be better off wearing some neoprene or something or other socks with the fin to stop it from rubbing.
It's a bit heavier than I was expecting (it doesn't weigh a ton or anything, I'm just used to the weight to 2 separate fins rather than one single one)

I haven't gone swimming in it yet as i'm out of money and haven't been able to go to the pool. but I have sat around with it on, as well as filling up the bath to see how it feels in water.
I got it in the aquamarine and its very pretty.

-Annwyn-
01-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Protip: This fin loves water. Put it on while it's wet :)

Elle
01-02-2013, 05:01 AM
Indeed. That's why the first time I put it on in the shower :)

spottedcatfish
01-02-2013, 07:23 AM
I have a question about the sizing with the merfin. It says that the medium fits a womens U.S. 5-7 foot and a 7-9 foot. I have a 6 1/2 foot, do the merfin sizes run closer to the smaller size range than the bigger size? I'm in no rush to get one now, just doing some research into the fin sizing.

Elle
01-03-2013, 03:27 AM
I'd measure your foot from the heel to the middle toe. 22.8cm (9in) for the 5-7 foot and 24.2cm (9.5in) for the 7-9.
if you measure over 22.8 go the bigger one. if your under it, check the distance from heel to big toe just to be sure.
I fit in mine fine but the extra .3cm of my big toe meant I had to cut into mine.

spottedcatfish
01-03-2013, 05:13 AM
I'd measure your foot from the heel to the middle toe. 22.8cm (9in) for the 5-7 foot and 24.2cm (9.5in) for the 7-9.
if you measure over 22.8 go the bigger one. if your under it, check the distance from heel to big toe just to be sure.
I fit in mine fine but the extra .3cm of my big toe meant I had to cut into mine.

Thanks. So i measured 22cm on my right foot, the bigger of my two feet. 24.2 would be way too big. So it looks like the measurements are very accurate. If I were to get a fin, I would get a medium.

MerAnthony
01-03-2013, 09:01 AM
I love the way it moves in the water. But my question is will they be making them to fit bigger feet? I wear a mens 10 1/2 or a womens 12.

Mermaid Saphira
01-03-2013, 09:03 AM
I love the way it moves in the water. But my question is will they be making them to fit bigger feet? I wear a mens 10 1/2 or a womens 12.

I recently contacted Mahina about the whale fin. She said that they would be released as a men's line, so I am assuming that they will be made larger to accompidate men's footwear?

MerAnthony
01-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Thats good to hear Saph. I may have to break down to buy one as soon as I can.

Mermaid Saphira
01-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Anymer else notice that the website and name of the fins has changed from oceanika to mahina merfins??? >.>

LOOK ----> http://mahinamermaid.com/welcome-to-oceanika <-- even the link changed!! O.O

MerEmma
01-21-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm on the wrong computer to see the site, but that's...surprising, I guess? Haha. It's different.

MerEmma
02-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Oceanika vs Competitor

Ah, thank you SO MUCH!! This picture convinced my mom to let me get it instead of the Wave. <3

Mermaid Mandi
02-10-2013, 06:59 PM
You're Welcome

Naiad Rose
02-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Oceanika vs Competitor

I'm guessing this Oceanika is the size large? Just curious to be sure. Thanks :)

Elle
02-11-2013, 05:30 AM
I guess it would be. I have the large size, and while I haven't compared it to a competitor, it is wider (tip to tip of the fins) than my shoulders

Mermaid Miel
02-15-2013, 06:47 PM
I got one for a late Christmas Present from my Beloved Boyfriend... cleared out his Mum's ears with my fan-squealing.
It has the Oceanika O on it, but now the site has changed... I wonder if that will disappear from future Merfins.
I am a size 7&1/2 Aus. The large (5-7) actually fits like a size 8 on me. (half a size too long.) Once I bought a pair of neoprene socks then it was fine.
I Love It! I have sent an email to Mermaid Mahina asking on the ETA of three promised items, the XL/XXL Adult sizes, The Whale-shaped Fin and the Merfin Bags. Will get back to you with the answer. :)

Mermaid Miel
02-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Quick reply! Okay, this is straight out of the email.
~
These should be out next year (2014) I hope..
~

This is sounding more like a maybe then a future date to me. She wants to, but it wont be anytime in the immediate future.

MerEmma
02-15-2013, 07:10 PM
I didn't expect it to be. =\ Luckily I don't really need any of the three things so I don't feel a need to wait, haha.

I'm trying to get my measurements down really well because it's so much money. I really can't understand the chart. xD

Ashe
02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Oceanika vs Competitor
That thing is a friggin monster! It's huge :O

Mermaid Harmony
02-17-2013, 04:08 PM
I need to vent about the oceanika real fast, I have mine in my current tail, and it hurts so bad. I was putting it on for a party, and it was more brutal than usual, I'm so over it. I also have two foot tattoos, and I swear this oceanika is just going to rip them off my skin (impossible, but that's what it feels like) After my swim today I am going to open up my fluke, take out the fin, give it a beating and then pry cut the foot pockets open a little more, because I feel like I need to step-sister it up and cut off a chunk of my foot sometimes to get my foot in. Then I'll put it back in and neoprene cement it to my tail so that my fluke doesn't become super 3-D. Arg...let's just say while I was putting it on, I was in Siren mode instead of mermaid mode...okay, done with my rant, but oooo I can NOT wait to have a full silicone tail with my rapid, it's gonna be awesome, and feel so nice on my feet. :-)

Ashe
02-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Aw, I'm sorry Harmony. I've heard that happening a lot with the Oceanikas. I think there is a thread somewhere on how to cut the straps...

Mermaid Harmony
02-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna hunt it down, because I'm a mermaid with a vengeance :-)

Thalassa
02-17-2013, 06:27 PM
You might want to PM Mermaid Koral about it, I know her Oceanikas were paining her something awful and she fixed them after a lot of trial/error.

Mermaid Harmony
02-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Thank you Thalassa!

MerEmma
02-24-2013, 11:15 AM
How the heck do you measure your foot for these? It says the foot pocket length is nine and a half inches on the 5-7. My foot is almost 9 inches (ish, last time I checked it seemed like I got 8.5 but I guess something happened? xD) and I have pretty wide feet...any ideas? Would a extra half inch be too big? Blahh. Sizing. I hate buying stuff for feet online.

Mermaid Miel
02-24-2013, 08:29 PM
After my first swim in my Oceanika's I attacked the sharp edges inside with a Nailfile to smooth them down and bought a pair of neoprene socks. The foot pockets are now tight and uncomfortable to put on, but they dont hurt when I'm swimming or give me blisters anymore.

MerEmma
02-24-2013, 09:26 PM
I figured it out eventually, haha. I hope I don't end up having to cut mine.

MerAnthony
02-24-2013, 10:27 PM
I just wanted to look on there site an the link that was posted in the first post says error not found. Did I miss something?

Elle
02-25-2013, 05:00 AM
How the heck do you measure your foot for these? It says the foot pocket length is nine and a half inches on the 5-7. My foot is almost 9 inches (ish, last time I checked it seemed like I got 8.5 but I guess something happened? xD) and I have pretty wide feet...any ideas? Would a extra half inch be too big? Blahh. Sizing. I hate buying stuff for feet online.

9.5 is from the heel to the middle of the foot pocket. if you are around 9 inches from you heel to your big toe you should be okay.
I have the 5-7 and a wide foot and have no issues. the hard bit is getting your feet in, make sure your feet and the fin are wet before you attempt it :)

MerEmma
02-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Luckily, the fin fits! It's just a tad bit big but it's great for growing room. With it on land it feels just fine but I may need socks for water.

MerEmma
03-16-2013, 11:30 PM
I've been swimming in my hotel the past few days and today a girl about 11 from Canada and I started talking and she said she loved my "tail" even though it was just my Oceanika. Made me so happy and giddy and weird! Still though, it'll take time to get used to having a "tail." :P
My mom said it's been getting other attention too. So happy.

MerEmma
04-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Swimming with my Oceanika! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeD-QT5pQzk&feature=youtu.be

I really love it. Was going to swim with it today but it got cold all of a sudden.

Mermaid Marissa
06-02-2013, 05:23 PM
I need to vent about the oceanika real fast, I have mine in my current tail, and it hurts so bad. I was putting it on for a party, and it was more brutal than usual, I'm so over it. I also have two foot tattoos, and I swear this oceanika is just going to rip them off my skin (impossible, but that's what it feels like) After my swim today I am going to open up my fluke, take out the fin, give it a beating and then pry cut the foot pockets open a little more, because I feel like I need to step-sister it up and cut off a chunk of my foot sometimes to get my foot in. Then I'll put it back in and neoprene cement it to my tail so that my fluke doesn't become super 3-D. Arg...let's just say while I was putting it on, I was in Siren mode instead of mermaid mode...okay, done with my rant, but oooo I can NOT wait to have a full silicone tail with my rapid, it's gonna be awesome, and feel so nice on my feet. :-)

PREACH!!!! :hail:

LaNyah
06-24-2013, 01:50 AM
It says the video is private. :(

MerEmma
06-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Who, me?

Echidna
06-24-2013, 04:58 PM
I can see the videos.
That pool was unpleasantly shallow, no?

How much propulsion does the Oceanika give compared to, say, a Wave or Rapid?
It looks very floppy.

MerEmma
06-24-2013, 06:02 PM
It got to eight feet on the deep end but more like two on the other, haha, so it wasn't overly shallow but it wasn't deep either, I suppose. :)

I don't know but I do know that someone earlier in the thread said the Oceanika was an eight if the competitor was a ten. I don't own a Wave or Rapid but when swimming with a friend who had one (using fins) I'd say the Oceanika is slightly faster.

LaNyah
06-24-2013, 06:19 PM
No. I stated this thread at the beginning and tried to access Aela's review. Thank you for yours though! :)

Who, me?

Echidna
06-24-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't know but I do know that someone earlier in the thread said the Oceanika was an eight if the competitor was a ten.

wow, that's really good then for a practically indestructible fluke (?), I'm always afraid the plastic and fiberglass ones get cracks or break
(bad experiences), and then it looks so pretty as well!

Once they offer adult sized ones, I'll probably bite the shipping costs (same as the whole fin costs as usual, meh),
and order one.

MerEmma
06-24-2013, 07:39 PM
I really love mine! I hope they'll release other shapes besides the male-orca one but I don't see it happening anywhere in the close future. Mine scuffs a bit along the bottom but it's only noticeable dry. I wouldn't say it's completely indestructible but I definitely don't hesitate to drag it along the bottom on accident.

Echidna
06-24-2013, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't say it's completely indestructible but I definitely don't hesitate to drag it along the bottom on accident.
Ye, but since it's made of rubber, it won't crack or break unless you fold it in half or something I guess? :D

I haven't seen the orca shaped one.
I'd love to have any of the colorful kid ones, just as a bigger size.
(and then I'd worry how to incorporate it into a tail :D )

LaNyah
06-25-2013, 03:48 AM
I have tried to search for this info, but I think I'm doing it wrong. lol
So, I'm sorry if it was posted elsewhere...

Can this fluke be:
1) painted to match a fabric or neoprene tail? If so, with what kind of paint?
2) covered with latex or silicone?

MerEmma
06-25-2013, 02:40 PM
It's definitely not easy to break. I can bend mine (just the tips where they're thin) all the way flat down on itself but I won't do it for too long, as the rubber tends to stick to a specific shape folded into until swum in.

I don't think the rubber could be painted but my own guess if it could would be acrylic paint.
It can be covered with silicone, unsure of latex but latex tails ALWAYS have neoprene between the two so it's worked out for Fish Butts before.

Echidna
06-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Is there any info about their new fins?
I could only find that photo album, nothing saying they plan adult sizes.

Anyway, I'll definitely get one as soon as they make them available.
And I won't paint them. They go great with any of my wetsuits <3

As for using them with a tail; I'll probably sew one to fit the fin, and pull the fabric over.
Think that would work?

MerEmma
06-25-2013, 09:15 PM
When you email them the automated response tells all about it--it seems like that was copy+pasted here in the thread earlier? I'm not positive but it seems that way.

I'm sure it would work fine, has been done before and perhaps this fall I plan to do that too! :)

Echidna
06-26-2013, 12:27 AM
I re-read the entire thread (...), and yeah.
The new orca-line (for boys?) might be out in 2014, but it's not certain.

A bigger/adult size is nowhere mentioned :(
I couldn't squeeze even into the largest of the kid sizes. Especially since I like to wear socks in fins so my feet don't blister.
sad panda.

LaNyah
06-26-2013, 04:37 AM
What size do you wear? They have up to a US size 8 (9.5in)/ EU 39
Guess it's one of the few times having really short feet (US 5.5) is a good thing. Usually I can't find anything that fits.

shimmygoddess
06-26-2013, 02:03 PM
I just got the regular merfin size L, and I wear a 6 1/2 sometimes 7 and the fin is slightly loose on me. (US sizes) I will def. need to get swimming socks.

MerEmma
06-26-2013, 06:29 PM
So...I was just talking about how the rubber isn't easily breakable. The little slit in the middle that's very thin has cracked. I'll get pictures when I can, but I'm kinda sad. I'm going to email Mahina and see what she recommends, I'm thinking E-6000 might work but I'm not sure. It's not a big deal, I swam for two hours and it hasn't cracked anymore, but I haven't done anything to it since I last used it. It was sitting on the floor of my bedroom flat, untouched, for four weeks and today I noticed the crack. I know it wasn't there last time. >__>

Echidna
06-26-2013, 06:37 PM
EEP!
There goes my dream of an indestructible fin!

Hope you can fix it.
I know rubber can break when it gets older and less flexible, but it's strange it would happen while you were not handling it.

MerEmma
06-26-2013, 07:21 PM
I really don't know how it cracked! >.<

Echidna
06-26-2013, 07:38 PM
I swear some monofins have a life of their own!
I imagine them stealthily hopping out of my room when I'm asleep, and going for a swim all by themselves,
and that's why there appear cracks and scratches and stuff on them while I have no clue where it happened :P

MerEmma
06-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Omg. xD Wow, I haven't been sleeping in my bed the past few days anyhow since my sister has been sick...maybe it did? :P

Echidna
06-26-2013, 09:13 PM
It's a sure sign it has been too long since it was swum with.
That tends to mess with their feelings... *sage nod*

MerEmma
06-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Omg for a second there I read the first sentence and thought you were being entirely serious and went "Omigosh, I was the one who...broke it?" ;\ :P

MerEmma
06-29-2013, 05:18 PM

Here's the crack. Just emailed asking about it, so let's hope they can help me!

Echidna
06-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Huh.
How does something like that happen without some manual influence?
Like swimming, and dragging it along somewhere, or while stored, being slit open by a sharp edge?
:confused:
Weird. Though I've had some cracks happen out of the blue, too.

This week seems to be the Big Monofin Blues.
My first magictail monofin, which I had shelved for a long while and 3 days ago swam in, cracked also :P
(Right after I said here it still held up fine- I KNEW I should've kept my mouth shut)

Nothing special, just being the old flimsy magictail model, and me swimming away happily.
(If you just swim normally, or turn a lil bit with that monofin, it almost fold itself completely in the middle, so no wonder those break like crazy)
Haven't heard from them so far.
Figures, since I've sung their praises saying they reply to emails almost instantly. Lol!

MerEmma
07-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Nothing happened for it to crack like that. Mahina MerFins replied, though!

"Thanks for your email. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we were waiting for a reply from our manufacturer re what is the best product to use to try and repair the crack. They have advised they don't recommend using any glue etc. They have said the thin webbing between the fin blades is not a structural part of the fin so won't effect the fins performance in any way. If you see the tear progressing into the fin fin blades (i.e the structural part of the fin), then using a hand drill to drill a hole in the V section of where the two fin blades connect will create a larger radius and will stop any further tearing. This will cause any load on the fin to be distributed across a larger area. Attached are some photos to show what they mean but you wouldn't worry about this unless you see the tear progressing into the fin blades."

So it looks like I'll just leave it for now and see if it gets worse. She attached some images of how to cut the hole and cut the little webbing.

Mermaid Star
07-04-2013, 11:43 PM
I asked about larger fins... and this is the response that I received. "We do have plans to make some fins that will go up to US Size 8-10 and 10-12. We hope to have these available by Christmas so please check back with us then."

Echidna
07-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Oh, good info, thanks!

10-12 should be enough to fit me even with 5mm socks :D

Lyrique
07-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Mine actually snapped and broke suddenly on the 4th of July. I own two Oceanika fins, and this was my "less used" of the two.. and I mean, significantly less used. Anyway, I emailed them about it, and there is a 12 month warrenty. I was out of that 12 month frame by 1 month, but they do review each case individually. I had to send in pictures of the fin, the break, the size on the back of my fin, and a ruler next to my foot. They also had me send in the positive reviews I had made/posted about them, and videos where I had mentioned their product. I truly love the Oceanika fins, and I know everything isn't perfect, so though I was disappointed, I had a feeling that things would be resolved. Sure enough, I got this response:

"We have reviewed you case and are please to advise even though you are out of your warranty period we will replace your fin with a new one. We have done this based on the fact you have been such a strong advocate for us and that it is very unusual type of break and we can see that the fin is still in very good condition. So please advise us of your address and confirm the size of fin you would like replaced."

So despite the minor setback on being without a fin, they handled it really well, and I will still advocate for them - I love their product :)!

Lyrique
07-22-2013, 01:24 PM

Here's the crack. Just emailed asking about it, so let's hope they can help me!

Oh this crack is totally okay! I actually ripped this part of my fins off because mine too "cracked". It's just extra rubber. Don't worry about it at all, and if you just cut it off, it will be just fine!

MerEmma
07-22-2013, 01:28 PM
We did cut it out! It works fine now, my poppa thinks it was just a little thin piece for "extra" coverage against cracking. :D

Mermaid Myu
08-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Hey all! I just wanted to let you guys know about an alternate way to buy Merfins if you didn't already know. So this is my little review on Carla Swimwear (http://www.carlaswimwear.com.au/)!

Carla Swimwear is an Australia store that's an authorized retailer of the Merfin. It just so happens that they also have free DHL (!) shipping to the United States on orders over $100 (Australian). So I decided to place my order through them, considering their price was the same on the monofin and waaaaay less on shipping as the Mahina Mermaid website.

Here's the direct link to the Merfin for sale on the website (http://www.carlaswimwear.com.au/merfin-mermaid-tails).

After I changed the site currency to United States Dollars, the price for the Merfin became ~$91. In order to take advantage of the free shipping I needed to get my order over 100, so I looked for the cheapest stuff on the site and wound up buying a little purse-sized spritzer of perfume. I figured it'd be nice to throw in my swim bag so when I'm leaving the pool I don't just smell like chlorine, lol.

I placed my order on Sunday, August 11, so I would have to wait until Monday for them to receive my order.

On Monday I was pleased to find a tracking number in my email that indicated DHL had already picked up my package!

On Wednesday, August 14, I was EXTREMELY pleased to get a voice message from the DHL guy saying he was trying to deliver my package! Unfortunately I missed him and had to schedule re-delivery for the next day, but I have to point out how ridiculously fast the shipping speed was. I love DHL, and I love that Carla Swimwear didn't waste any time in shipping my order!

So earlier today (Thursday, August 15), I got my package. Unfortunately this is where the positive review stops.

Carla Swimwear packaged my Merfin horribly. Not only did they fold it in half AND bend it back on itself, but they packaged it in only a thin, plastic mailer bag with absolutely no other protection. (On the other hand, they bubble wrapped my mini perfume... LOLOL.) In places, the plastic bag had holes worn into it, which is really to be expected with that kind of thin envelope and is why you should pack your product in some other type of protective wrap. In the places where the bag had holes, the monofin is scuffed, but it's not super noticeable and I don't really feel like raising a stink about it.

Regarding the severe bend in the fin, I have it sitting on a table with heavy books holding it in the proper shape right now. I'm sure it'll be fine, or if not fine visibly it'll still get to the point where it's perfectly okay in the water, lol. Considering I'm planning on making a tail for it, I would be a little disappointed if it never regained its shape, but it's not the worst thing that's ever happened to me!

So, to sum it all up, I'm impressed with Carla Swimwear's free international shipping offer and the speed with which the fin arrived, but I'm slightly disappointed with the state in which the fin actually arrived. If it can be un-bent, I would highly recommend ordering from Carla Swimwear if you're thinking about getting a Merfin. If it never goes back into shape... well... I would think about getting it somewhere else (if it's important to you how the fin looks out of water).

Here, have some pictures!

(Sorry for the messy state of my table!!)

MerEmma
08-15-2013, 10:42 PM
OUCH! That poor fin :c Definitely lay it flat somewhere, maybe with a book on each of the tips to help flatten it. Take it for a swim and that'll straighten it out as well. Why does mine look green in every lighting but it seems like everyone else's always look blue? :P

Mermaid Kelda
08-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Just a thought, couldn't you leave the currency in Australia dollars? Then it would've only cost you $91 USD, but you could have gotten the free shipping without spending any extra.

Mermaid Dottie
08-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Ick... your poor fluke... :( My oceanika has a couple little quirky bends at the tips, but I've never been able to get them to unbend, no matter what I did.

Mermaid Myu
08-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Just a thought, couldn't you leave the currency in Australia dollars? Then it would've only cost you $91 USD, but you could have gotten the free shipping without spending any extra.

I just tried that, and when I hit "checkout" and input my billing/shipping information, it automatically performed the currency conversion even though I hadn't selected USD from the dropdown menu on the shopping page. Although I think the real problem is that the fin is $99.95 Australian, so I think it's 5 cents under the free shipping threshold!! Good thought though, and if it had worked I probably would have kicked myself pretty hard. xD

Ick... your poor fluke... :( My oceanika has a couple little quirky bends at the tips, but I've never been able to get them to unbend, no matter what I did.

Darn... it makes me sad and a little worried to hear your fluke never unbent itself. :(

Kumori Kitsune
08-16-2013, 01:22 AM
Thats why dhl is dead

LaNyah
08-16-2013, 01:35 AM
To be fair, this isn't a fault with DHL. This is the store not packaging it very well.

I hope it unbends. Let us know how it goes. I am still debating a merfin or another shape.

Alveric
08-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Try putting it in a black plastic garbage bag and setting it in the hot sun for a few hours. That might soften it up a bit without getting too hot or exposing it to direct sunlight.

Mermaid Myu
08-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Try putting it in a black plastic garbage bag and setting it in the hot sun for a few hours. That might soften it up a bit without getting too hot or exposing it to direct sunlight.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely give it a shot when the sun comes out again (the forecast for the weekend is rain so I won't be able to give you an immediate update). I also read someone mention dipping it in a hot tub or a hot bath? Do you know anything about the efficacy of those methods?

Alveric
08-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Never tried them, but I don't see why they wouldn't work. The water probably shouldn't be too hot to touch.

PearlieMae
08-16-2013, 12:55 PM
It's rubber...chances are hot water from your tap should be warm enough to relax it back to it's flat state. Draw a hot bath and hang your fin into the water - use a cord and tie it to your curtain rod - so the bent part is in the hot water, and that the fluke is as flat as possible, sideways in the tub...give it as much room as you can.

Good luck!

Echidna
08-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Guess I'll wait getting one until some local shop sells the Oceanika.
The shipping costs are just insane, and I wouldn't want to get it bent into itself either :<

Mermaid Saphira
08-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Still nothing on the whale fluke I suppose. Poo, I need a new monofin and the orca tail's fin is the perfect shape :(

Mermaid Myu
08-16-2013, 07:11 PM
It's rubber...chances are hot water from your tap should be warm enough to relax it back to it's flat state. Draw a hot bath and hang your fin into the water - use a cord and tie it to your curtain rod - so the bent part is in the hot water, and that the fluke is as flat as possible, sideways in the tub...give it as much room as you can.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! I'm going to try this method tonight!

Guess I'll wait getting one until some local shop sells the Oceanika.
The shipping costs are just insane, and I wouldn't want to get it bent into itself either :<

I'll keep you updated on whether my flattening adventures work out. If the fluke gets back to its original shape, I would probably recommend ordering from Carla Swimwear. Considering the shipping was free, I saved a looooooot of money. I hope this all works out so that this becomes a viable purchasing option for anyone interested in a Merfin!

Echidna
08-17-2013, 09:10 AM
There's still the problem of the size :p
I'd need a slightly bigger footpocket than they have.

There's no word whether they plan to make their mermaidy-merfin bigger, just a vague promise they'll bring out the whalefluke for guys in a bigger size (?).

Mermaid Kelda
08-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Could you shave down the foot pocket a little? I know it's been done before with success. The straps themselves look pretty thin already, but you might be able to shave into the fin itself (no idea if there's enough fin to shave into... Someone who actually owns an Oceanika will have to field that).

MerEmma
08-18-2013, 10:21 AM
They've actually said before that they want to make larger sizes, but can't currently.

Fifi Tigg
09-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Do you think you could paint the monofin and what kind of paint would work? Also could you glue material to it and what type of glue would you recommend? Any info would be greatly appreciated :D

Anna mermaid
10-27-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm getting a merfin for Xmas I am soooooo excited sad though the pool is closed on Xmas day so I'll go to the beach

Venusinsilks
10-30-2013, 11:49 AM
After reading this thread I just ordered an Oceanika for my first mono-fin, I can't wait to learn how to swim with it. :)
Thank you all for providing great information for newbies like me!

Mermaid Oshun
11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
About how much does the largest adult size of this weigh please?

Mermaid Dottie
11-04-2013, 03:43 PM
About how much does the largest adult size of this weigh please?
They don't really do adult sizes.
Guessing by mine, I'd say the largest sizes weighs a couple of pounds at the most.
http://mahinamermaid.com/images/stories/size_chart.jpg

MerEmma
11-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Not much. I haven't weighed mine but it's not that heavy. Less than 5 lbs., I could guess.

MermaidClara
11-05-2013, 06:32 AM
its not to heavy, i ordered mine in coral pink size S as im a 35 in foot sizing, and i have to say i have no trouble slipping it on at all! im using it in my current blue tail and i have swam in the baby for 2 weeks straight in the ocean in western aus, WOW catching waves in this baby is so much fun! i felt like a real mermaid diving under waves and swimming along the sea floor especially when i turned around and noticed how beautifully it moves in the water, and it left me breathless when i realised ITS SHIMMERY. even my old Physed teacher adores it and calls me "her little mermaid" and says it works jsut as nicely as her competitor fins AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i love shimmer and glitter and sparkles and shiny things mmmm, it doesnt weigh too much but boy is it HUGE, I cant fit it properly in my bike basket so its a bit weird riding around with a massive fin! got alot of stares but oooooh seriously if you want a fin get this baby!

Mermaid Bella
01-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Any news on the larger sizes? She made some adult fins for big brother Australia but nothing from the store, also I heard she was making bigger fins in 2013....

Mermaid Azira
01-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Just placed my order. Size 5-7 in blue. Total with shipping: $101. Super excited for it to come!

Edit: Shipping was not included in original payment. New total: $150.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Can't wait for the release of size 8 ladies foot. I've always liked what I call the "up down up down" swimming, like dolphins do.:lol:

Mermaid Jaffa
01-23-2014, 07:36 PM
I just found this whilst googling neoprene mermaid tails... Scroll to the end.
Does this mean they'll have proper tails too sometime in the future? Cos it'll suck to have them show all those for photo shoots and marketing, and not make them for the rest of us.
Btw, I love the blue one with swirls! If they had a nicer pink, I would get that too.

http://digitextiles.homestead.com/Gallery.html

Fifi Tigg
01-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Ireneho, thanks for sharing the link :) I have sent them an email to see if they are willing to make me a few skins for children of all ages! :D

Jessica
01-23-2014, 11:21 PM
I love the tail with the swirls! I would LOVE to have a merfin.....has anyone else ordered from this place? : http://www.carlaswimwear.com.au/merfin-mermaid-tails

I know mermaid myu did and her fin was all bent because of the way it was shipped :(

it looks like the cheapest option because of the free shipping over $100....but I wouldn't want a monofin that was all bent out of shape....

Mermaid Jaffa
01-23-2014, 11:44 PM
No. I rather wait till they have adult sizes. I read those threads where ppl have squashed their feet into the kids sizes have problems and such.
I got a reply today, after I emailed them yesterday asking for larger size fin and those fancy tails.

"Hello

Thanks so much for your enquiry, the fins have been so popular that we just had to release them in adult sizes.

We will be releasing the larger sizes around April. I have a massive list here of enquiries for the larger sizes and so I will add your name to that.

We will send you notification as soon as these are ready to go

Have a wonderful afternoon and thank you again"

Elle
01-24-2014, 02:25 AM
I love the tail with the swirls! I would LOVE to have a merfin.....has anyone else ordered from this place? : http://www.carlaswimwear.com.au/merfin-mermaid-tails

I know mermaid myu did and her fin was all bent because of the way it was shipped :(

it looks like the cheapest option because of the free shipping over $100....but I wouldn't want a monofin that was all bent out of shape....

mine gets bent because hubby doesn't look where he's chucking it or I've left it lent up against something. usually it goes back to normal shape if I just leave it on a flat surface. If it's really bad, I leave it in the sun and the heat helps it fall back into shape.

Elle
01-24-2014, 02:37 AM
However speaking of squeezing into them....The most recent big brother in Australia had 2 grown men squeeze into them. You can see in on the Merfin website under 'News'

Mermaid Jaffa
01-24-2014, 04:10 AM
Yep! Saw that!:lol:
Reckon a size 7 1/2 could fit into their largest size?

Mermaid Azira
01-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Carla swimwear is where I recently ordered mine from.

Omigosh I love those skins, I really hope they sell them. And that is great that they are introducing adult sizes!

Edit: I ordered it from Bellita Boutique not Carla Swimwear. Sorry!

Mary Marine
01-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks so much! I'm going to try this method tonight!

I'll keep you updated on whether my flattening adventures work out. If the fluke gets back to its original shape, I would probably recommend ordering from Carla Swimwear. Considering the shipping was free, I saved a looooooot of money. I hope this all works out so that this becomes a viable purchasing option for anyone interested in a Merfin!

Myu, have you had any luck flattening it out? Because if it worked I'm going to order a Merfin from Carla, otherwise I may just have to pony up for the shipping...

Mermaid Jaffa
01-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Mahina painted hers. I've asked the site about it but all I got was, it was custom made by her. They didn't give details or say anything else about what type of paint to use.

MermaidBrandie
01-28-2014, 11:26 AM
I love those neoprene skins! They're so pretty. I want to order a merfin and make a tail to go with it. ^.^

Mary Marine
01-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Same here! I've been thinking of getting a Merfin instead of modifying a Finis for my future neoprene tail.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-28-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm waiting to see if they'll bring out those tail skins. She hinted at it but didn't say anything for sure.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-29-2014, 12:32 AM
New confirmation when I asked about colors... I hope there is a bright red set! Or neon orange!

"Hi Irene

We are very happy to say that YES there will be more colours!

We cannot wait to show you all

Have a wonderful day"

Echidna
01-29-2014, 01:02 AM
We will be releasing the larger sizes around April. I have a massive list here of enquiries for the larger sizes and so I will add your name to that.

Great news!
I bet it's going to be the most popular flipper ever!

Mermaid Silver
02-03-2014, 10:53 AM
If anyone here owns a merfin, i'd like to know how they feel on your feet... like, are they flexible while swimming etc. I can't find all that much on the interwebz.

halesloveswhales
02-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Mine is pretty comfortable (at least a lot more comfortable than my Waterway). The foot pockets near the toe are a little bit spacious up and down and kind of boxy (I don't know how else to describe it, but I don't think it's foot-shaped), so it kind of compresses your big toes in a weird way. But honestly, it's not that much of a problem. I've done 3-hour birthday parties in my fin. My feet hurt for like 15 minutes afterward, but then I was fine.
The good thing about the merfin is that it's rubbery, so it moves beautifully in the water while still giving you pretty good propulsion (I'd say better than a foil or rapid), and it doesn't give you the intense foot-cramps that a more professional monofin does (like the Competitor or the Waterway).
The straps are not adjustable, but they are reasonably stretchy to get up onto your ankles and not slide off. I've had my fin for a year and a half, and it hasn't stretched out yet, and I don't feel like it's going to.
Does that answer your question?

MerEmma
02-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Mine gives me horrible blisters so I wear neoprene socks but aside from the blisters if your feet are bare, I LOVE mine. It flows so pretty in the water and the shape is one of my favorites.

Mermaid Silver
02-03-2014, 11:40 AM
alrighty ! thanks :D

Mary Marine
02-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Hales and MerEmma, thanks for the input! I've been wondering the same thing myself. I'm really leaning towards getting a Merfin instead of a Finis now!

halesloveswhales
02-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Oh yeah, I guess I do get blisters sometimes. But mine are never too bad. I think it's part of the territory of having any kind of fin. It's just bound to happen.

MerEmma
02-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Maybe, but I think it also has to do with the shape and material of each fin. The rubber puts horrible blisters on mine without the socks...for me personally after I swam with mine the first time without any kind of socks I couldn't walk for a couple of minutes. It was BAD the first time but I've worn it in so now I can do without sometimes.

Still though, I think the best reassurance about the fin was the mer (not myself but earlier on this thread) who owned a competitor as well and said the MerFin was 8/10 if the competitor was 10 for speed.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Are the blisters from the fin being too tight, the rubber strap or an allergy to the material?

Just wondering, cos I'm thinking of getting one size bigger than my foot and stick in a pair of matching colored neoprene booties.

Btw CoyoteWalker, I love your avatar! It would make a great tail skin.

Mermaid Dottie
02-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Mine are generally from the fin rubbing against my skin. They are a little tight on my feet, but I prefer that, over how much the rapid falls off my feet.

Mary Marine
02-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Just measured my feet and it looks like I fall between a size M and L Merfin. :doh: My feet are 9.25 inches or 23.5 cm long, which makes me EU size 38, UK 5, or US 7. Now I'm worried a L will be too loose, but a M might be too tight. I guess I could get the L and buy socks if I need too.

MermaidBrandie
02-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks!

I have my merfin, and I agree with getting neoprene socks. I tried mine without it and the rubbed very uncomfortably. I also trimming down the top of the foot a bit to be able to slide in and out easier, and I cut the tip near the toe-hole so that my big toe isn't bunched up weird. Worked like a charm. :)

MermaidBrandie
02-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Has anyone made a tail with these? Do you have to do something special for the fluke since the side starts so wide then tapers off?

Mermaid Azira
02-04-2014, 11:17 AM
I know Mermaid Aubrie on instagram made a really pretty tail with a merfin, not sure how though. 18164 18165

Mermaid Azira
02-04-2014, 05:43 PM
I know I probably don't have anything to worry about, but I am beginning to freak out. On January 19th I ordered my merfin from Bellita Boutique, believing that shipping would be cheaper. The total came out to about $120. Then about five days later I received an email from Bellita Boutique saying that I needed to pay additional shipping for the fin. I looked around on the website but could not figure out how to do it, so I replied back to the email asking how. About three days later they sent me an invoice for the additional $30. My order turned to "shipped" on the website.
Around three days ago I recalled that their website says that you would get an email saying when your order shipped; I did not. So I emailed the email address that had sent me the previous message. No reply in three or four days. So today I go back to the website and go to their contact information. The email address given on the website is different then the one that had emailed me earlier only by not having a .au at the end. I emailed this address the same email that I did to the other and got an email from my email account saying, "blah blah blah messages to this account permanently failed."
I'm starting to get a bit worried so I go back to the websites contact information and look up the physical address in google maps. It is not a store, its someones house.

Soo I'm probably overreacting but what should I do?

MermaidBrandie
02-04-2014, 10:24 PM
I know I probably don't have anything to worry about, but I am beginning to freak out. On January 19th I ordered my merfin from Bellita Boutique, believing that shipping would be cheaper. The total came out to about $120. Then about five days later I received an email from Bellita Boutique saying that I needed to pay additional shipping for the fin. I looked around on the website but could not figure out how to do it, so I replied back to the email asking how. About three days later they sent me an invoice for the additional $30. My order turned to "shipped" on the website.
Around three days ago I recalled that their website says that you would get an email saying when your order shipped; I did not. So I emailed the email address that had sent me the previous message. No reply in three or four days. So today I go back to the website and go to their contact information. The email address given on the website is different then the one that had emailed me earlier only by not having a .au at the end. I emailed this address the same email that I did to the other and got an email from my email account saying, "blah blah blah messages to this account permanently failed."
I'm starting to get a bit worried so I go back to the websites contact information and look up the physical address in google maps. It is not a store, its someones house.

Soo I'm probably overreacting but what should I do?
Whoa O.o that sounds super sketch. Maybe see if there's a phone number attached to the address somewhere?

Mermaid Jaffa
02-04-2014, 11:51 PM
You could go on their fb page and see if anyone has had that problem. If not, then ask them why there is extra shipping fee when you've already paid the shipping fee, and why this "extra fee" has not been stated on the website.

Mary Marine
02-05-2014, 12:59 AM
I just went to their website and saw this on the sidebar:

I wonder if they just added that? Maybe they hadn't had a Merfin order until now and they didn't realize how much it would cost to ship?

Mermaid Azira
02-05-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm not bothered by the extra shipping fee. I'm just a little weirded out that suddenly their whole store doesn't have regular store things. I looked on their facebook and they show up on a different place on the map. So their addresses don't match, but at least the facebook one looks like a store location.

Hmm

Edit: I got a reply about getting a tracking number. Six days later; but thats alright, I'm just glad I got a reply. Apparently you can't get tracking numbers for the cheapest international air shipping. I am feeling better, now I just need my merfin to arrive.

Mermaid Silver
02-06-2014, 01:39 AM
I am a size eu 38-39 and Some sites say this is a 8-9 us but some say 7-8... Slightly confuzzled over here. Will i fit into the L size merfin?
Thanks!

Elle
02-06-2014, 03:41 AM
I think I'm a 39 in EU sizes. I had to hack out the toes so my feet fit

Mary Marine
02-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Glad to hear your merfin is on its way!

Mermaid Jaffa
02-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Nope. Atm only size 5-7 US.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-08-2014, 03:56 AM
I am the MerFin Stalker...

Looky! Mahina has one too! That little girl's tail looks cracked though.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=merfins&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-e_1Uv6JCISJlAXl1YHQDw&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1097&bih=545#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=2eZD_3h80igxTM%253A%3B3oT3fDcTXIlDYM%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fmedia.thingle.com%252Fpictures%252Ff 2a96c14-5600-40e8-9159-0c18c7f2f3bb.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.thingle. com%252F%253F_escaped_fragment_%253Dthings%252F511 8ca3dff30cd0200017adb%3B550%3B373

Thalassa
02-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Aren't Mahina and Oceanika the same company?

Mermaid Jaffa
02-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Aren't Mahina and Oceanika the same company?

Yes