PDA

View Full Version : About the Mertailor

MargottheMermaid
04-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Hey guys! I just got a question; hopefully things won't get too heated...

I've read some posts on here about the Mertailor. Some really... Well, not so nice posts about him. However, some of those posts were pretty old... Anyone have any recent information on this guy? Because I *am* looking for a realistic tail, and I like his work and prices. So the bottom line is, anyone having the same problems NOW with Mertailor that people were having a year or two ago? Thank you! :)

AniaR
04-05-2014, 08:27 PM
you can see lots of new discussion on the mertailor. It's in the discussion section. I think some of the same complaints still apply. Some people dnon't like the visible monofins, some people still have issues with quality, he's not someone I'd personally recommend but really it comes down to your choice. All you can really do is read all you can, maybe PM some people who currently have his tails, and make a choice for yourself. Maybe you might want to consider a used mertailor tail to start for trying out before investing all the money. it's up to you. Good luck.

MargottheMermaid
04-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, Raina! :) Some people have also mentioned a tailmaker named Raven... Do you know who she is and where I can see some of her work? Thanks!

Sephina
04-05-2014, 08:56 PM
I can say I've had my Mertailor tail for probably 4ish years, and use it 2-3 times a year and it is in pretty bad shape, scales and latex are peeling off, and the paint chips too. Raven runs merbellas and she made Raina's tail.

MargottheMermaid
04-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Okay, but when I go to the merbellas website, there's like no information there at all... About anything. Does she have another site?

XMermaidMarinaX
04-05-2014, 09:14 PM
You can check her facebook Merbellas Studios https://www.facebook.com/MerBellaStudios

Anahita
04-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Merbella's site never opened up properly I don't think. They're so swamped with business that they really don't need the site. She gets a slot open for a tail and it's booked in a matter of minutes.

If you're looking for a silicone tail, you might also be interested in Mernation, Finfolk, Mermaid Creations, Sirenalia, Purple Rainbow Tails, and Mermaid Jessica's tails (I feel like I missed someone in this list, but I can't recall who). They all have different prices and might be able to take your order a lot sooner.

As for Mertailor, recently what I've seen is visible monofins and messy seams (for full silicone). I haven't really paid attention to the old-style neoprin ones, nor the new hybrid skin+monofin ones.

Mermaidmechanic
04-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Finfolk is a great rising star in the world of tail making. Raven is a genius, but the wait is ages. I personally love my mertailor but mine does seem to be better made than some others. All tailmakers have their perks and sraws, but its something you should choose from your own heart as their styles all differ greatly from one another.

Winged Mermaid
04-06-2014, 12:38 AM
I know recent complaints about his tails include: messy outside seams, very messy inside seams to the point of swimming being painful from the extra silicone digging into the skin, wrong color/paint scheme, wrong extra fins, chipping paint (yeah, even on the full silicone ones), messy mold pulls (lots of bubbles), the mechanism on the partial tails that hooks the skin to the fin being very finicky to use and to get to stay in place, and visible monofin.

Every company has it's pros and cons. When people ask me about full silicone tailmakers, I always recommend Merbella Studios (my current tail is from them) and Finfolk Productions. They're the top pics from everything I've seen and heard. Jazz and Jessica aren't offical commercial tailmakers yet- more up and coming at the moment- but from what I've seen I think they'd both be good choices. :) In the end it's up to you, and who suits your needs and style. Good luck!