PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon a Time-Ariel

AptaMer
04-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Just thought I'd post a heads up that Ariel resurfaces (pun intentional :) ) in this week's Once Upon a Time show (season 3, episode 17, on Sunday, Apr. 13)

Don't want to post too much of a spoiler, but it will focus on her search for her lost Prince Eric and Hook's search for his lost ship

MermaidMichelle
04-10-2014, 02:13 PM
It would also appear that Ariel and Hook meet up with one another!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsxQuXPEDW8

Merci beacoup for the heads-up! :mermaid kiss:

MerAnthony
04-10-2014, 09:56 PM
I saw that as well where they meet. I am not really a big fan of the show but it does look interesting.

SeaGlass Siren
04-12-2014, 09:10 PM
... but.. didn't ariel already find eric back in storybrooke in the first part of season 3? he became a fish-butcher...

AptaMer
04-15-2014, 04:01 PM
... but.. didn't ariel already find eric back in storybrooke in the first part of season 3? he became a fish-butcher...

Hey SeaGlass, Everybody got sent back to their realms in episode 11.

Beware, spoilers below:

Then after the break, the second half of the season, Emma finds out 1 year later they've all returned to Storybrooke, and can't remember the year they spent in their realms. They were sent back to Storybrooke by a new curse.

In episode 17 we find out that Eric had been on an island that was outside the range of the curse, so he didn't come to Storybrooke with the others. Ariel did find him there, and by the end of the episode she was living with him on the island.

SeaGlass Siren
04-15-2014, 05:13 PM
No worries about it, i always read spoilers :P

it still doesnt make sense to me though.. so let me get this straight (i havent watched the ep yet)

so ariel found eric season 3A as a fish butcher and they stay together i'm assuming, and then when regina undoes the curse they all go back including prince eric and ariel (again together i'm also assuming).. when did they part ways? o.o and how did he get on the island? and if the writer's said that he was trapped on the island, was this during the first curse or second curse?

SeaGlass Siren
04-15-2014, 05:14 PM
also i'm assuming you mean he didn't come to storybrooke when the second wave of the curse happened.

AptaMer
04-16-2014, 04:56 AM
Hi SeaGlass,

Yes, that's right, Eric was one of the ones who didn't get sent back to Storybrooke the second time, because he was outside the range of the second curse.

No worries about it, i always read spoilers :P

it still doesnt make sense to me though.. so let me get this straight (i havent watched the ep yet)

so ariel found eric season 3A as a fish butcher and they stay together i'm assuming, and then when regina undoes the curse they all go back including prince eric and ariel (again together i'm also assuming).. when did they part ways? o.o and how did he get on the island? and if the writer's said that he was trapped on the island, was this during the first curse or second curse?

It does say how he got on the island.

He was put on the island during the year everyone spent in their realms before the second curse, but then he stayed on the island when everyone else was sent back to Storybrooke the second time.

When the people of Storybrooke were returned when Regina undid the first curse in Episode 11, Hook and his crew ended up in the Enchanted Forest with Regina, Snow and the others. Hook left the others to find his ship, then ended up in the maritime realm.

Hook's ship got stolen by another pirate, Blackbeard, who also captured Prince Eric and marooned him on a faraway island so he could ransom him for treasure later.

Blackbeard had tricked Ariel into thinking Hook had kidnapped Eric, hence the scene where she attacks Hook with a knife and tries to force him to tell her where Eric is.

MermaidMichelle
04-16-2014, 01:41 PM
There we go! Merci for clearing that up! :mermaid kiss: I don't have a working television hooked up to anything and haven't watched television programs in years (except a few episodes here and there on the computer), so I won't even begin seeing Once Upon A Time until my brother gets the DVDs.

SeaGlass Siren
04-16-2014, 11:09 PM
So I finally saw it. It never made sense to me how or why Ariel an Eric would Split. It was very fishy...

Then BOOM. Zelina happened. And then every thing made sense

AptaMer
04-17-2014, 04:35 PM
There we go! Merci for clearing that up! :mermaid kiss: I don't have a working television hooked up to anything and haven't watched television programs in years (except a few episodes here and there on the computer), so I won't even begin seeing Once Upon A Time until my brother gets the DVDs.

Hey MermaidMichelle- If you want to download it & watch on your computer screen, PirateBay has torrent links & you can download all the seasons right up to the latest one- in HD or DVD quality LOL

MermaidMichelle
04-18-2014, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the tip, but I prefer the pirates that pick up mermaids...lol :mermaid kiss:

jazz2453
04-18-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm obsessed with this show! XD

MermaidMichelle
04-19-2014, 12:19 PM
It is a very clever approach; a take on mature Disney Princesses who are still undergoing the same (or a similar) story, yet with a number of new and innovative additions!

By the way, Jazz.... I find your tail-making work quite impressive, especially for one so young, and must say you look awfully familiar. Am I correct in assuming that you co-starred in the short film Bella Maddo alongside my friends Angelica Ross and Isis King?

DexRicon
04-24-2014, 02:00 AM
Big pile of meh when it comes to Ariel. The entire reason I started watching the series was for a real life version of her. She has been in four episodes…and two where she was a major character. And the rest of the series isn't holding my interest enough to bother. Sadly, given the cgi required for her tail I highly doubt we will see much more of her. Maybe if they redesign the tail, make it a costume between the waist and knees and cg from the knees down, they could do her more next year.

MermaidMichelle
04-24-2014, 01:10 PM
I agree that Princess Ariel is underused, and that the cost of her cgi tail is likely to blame. If only they would get her a Splash!-style tail done by Merbella Studios​.... :pearl:

MermaidBrandie
06-28-2014, 05:11 PM
I have to say, I really had hoped they'd use silicone tails for the Once Upon a Time mermaids, as it was be cheaper to rent those out and they would look fantastic on set. :/ I don't really like how the tails seem to glow. It's distracting.

SeaGlass Siren
06-29-2014, 07:18 AM
But I like glowing tails... :(

MermaidMichelle
06-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Raven can make glowing tails (which glow under a UV blacklight)....

The other day I got the hankering to watch a bit of the Xena: Warrior Princess episode "Fallen Angel" (in which lots of prosthetics were used to provide angelic wings and demonic wings/horns/hooves) on YouTube and saw a related short on the sillier episode "Married With Fishsticks". The latter episode featured mermaids, and this being a '90s television show the tails were "analog" rather than cgi. The short showed how these tails were made through sculpting foam rubber, and as a model/swimmer tried exhaustedly to swim around parts of a shallow natural outdoor pool the voice-over spoke about how the best tail was that of Splash!, but that they went with this type of tail as it was less expensive and still looked nice; their biggest problem was taking away the human element from the tail, because "people know where the knees and ankles and feet are".

To summarize, the major concern of television and film companies dealing with mermaids is to make them look real, and the fact that the top half of the mermaid is often quite real is both boon and bane to this; thus the bottom half is made to look as inhuman as possible. In Splash! the silicone tail was top-of-the-line at the time and quite convincing, yet once it had been done it had been done; no subsequent film would have quite such novelty and thus people would be more swift to see it as 'fake'. Thus swimming ability was sacrificed for extra joints a decade later with the extended tails of Hook (which are still used in moderately-low-budget shows such as H2O: Just Add Water). Now cgi is commonplace enough to give producers whatever weirdness they desire.

MermaidBrandie
06-30-2014, 09:02 PM
I dont mind the glowing tails like the Merbella tail she showed, but the whole thing glows like its a light or something. :(

Lily
06-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Y'all are making me think that I need to give this show another chance...

DexRicon
07-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Intellectually I get the point of a cgi tail. It allows both incredibly inhuman movements and lets the actress concentrate on acting instead of 'omigod this thing is so uncomfortable!' But there are two reasons I hate it anyway. The first is that unless there is a major budget for high end CG work, it is extremely jarring. The tail in Once is a prime example. It doesn't look magical, it looks like it is an overlay. That's why they didn't have it or her on very much. Besides, it is difficult to swim as a mermaid underwater without having the propulsion generated by a fin. Thus underwater work has to involve a lot more high end CG work OR simply minimizing the underwater tail action and showing it flopping on land instead.

Which leads directly into the second problem with a tail that doesn't use practical effects; a mermaid tail on land is *SUPPOSED* to be uncomfortable! The muscles in a tail would be used to having buoyancy to cover the weight, weight that on land is being distributed in a way that makes them entirely useless. It's that same lack of buoyancy that causes beached whales to suffocate. A mermaid wouldn't go that far -her upper half still has the proportions of a human female- but the strength and natural muscle action that would allow mermaids to swim at high speeds underwater would be little more than a liability on the beach. CG tails allow the actress to concentrate on acting instead of her tail when realistically a fair amount of a mermaid's thoughts would be 'omigod this is so uncomfortable! I totally don't belong here!'

MermaidMichelle
07-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Those are some VERY astute points, Dex! :mermaid kiss: I agree with you wholeheartedly; a beached mermaid wouldn't suffocate because of her human physiology (which is why they are restricted to more shallow water than whales), but she would be every bit as awkward and immobile as a woman wearing a heavy, large-fluked fully silicone tail! This is why the best mermaid actress remains Daryl Hannah; she is/was sufficiently devoted to mermaid swimming to look quite at home in the open water even in a mermaid tail, which really sold her sense of awkwardness and helplessness when she was forced to wear that tail on land.

AptaMer
12-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Well, the latest news is that the cecaelia everybody loves to hate, Ursula, will be coming to Once Upon a Time in the spring, sometime after March 1.

SeaMansa
12-05-2014, 09:25 PM
If anyone is interested, Ursula The Sea Witch (well, Sea Goddess) has officially been casted to appear as a major character on OUAT. This time, its not Queen Regina impersonating her, she's the real deal that we got a brief glimpse of in the one episode. I made a post here if anyone wants to see pics of her actress along with Cruella De Ville. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9618-URSULA-Casted-on-OUAT

SeaGlass Siren
12-15-2014, 01:50 PM
omg last night's episode tho.

Mermaid Sirenia
12-15-2014, 03:33 PM
omg last night's episode tho.
I KNOW RIGHT

SeaGlass Siren
12-15-2014, 04:06 PM
I AM SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPY BELLE AND RUMPLE unofficially DIVORCED. i've been asking for it all season.
but after finding out he wanted to give belle everything she wanted, NOW I AM JUST SAAAD... ;__; HOLD ME..

Sephina
12-15-2014, 06:24 PM
I AM SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPY BELLE AND RUMPLE unofficially DIVORCED. i've been asking for it all season.
but after finding out he wanted to give belle everything she wanted, NOW I AM JUST SAAAD... ;__; HOLD ME..
I was also really conflicted about it. I'm glad she did what she did, mostly because he was getting ready to lie to her about leaving storybrook and say she could come back when she really couldn't. That to me is one huge abusive step for him. If she had made the choice never to see her friends again, then that would be one thing, but for him to say he had a plan and they could return, when they couldn't is just too much.

MermaidMichelle
12-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Well, we know from the original film that Belle is the "I volunteer as tribute" type...lol. Her selfless submission could easily get her into an abusive situation (I was always worried about Rumplestiltskin), but fortunately her strong moral compass sees her through!

SeaGlass Siren
12-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Well in theory if everything went well for him he and belle would've been able to return to storybrooke no?

AptaMer
02-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Well, OUaT is starting up again March 1, and it's been confirmed that along with Ursula, Ariel will be returning as a major character this time.

http://tvline.com/2014/12/15/once-upon-a-time-season-4-cruella-de-vil-rumplestiltskin-ariel-return/

SeaGlass Siren
02-13-2015, 06:05 PM
AWEYISS!!!