PDA

View Full Version : Your reviews on the Finis Foil monofin

Mermaid Of The Desert
04-28-2014, 08:34 PM
Due to funds... *cough* im looking to buy the finis foil monofin to create my own mermaid tail. I will be using molding clay and silicone to create my fluke. Im a size 8 1/2 shoe with wide feet. How does the sizing work and for my size would the M work for me? Ive heard of size complications thro reading past threads. If anyone has any info on how well it works, how well it looks and preforms in a finished tail. I would greatly appreciate it! ♡

Jessica
04-28-2014, 09:50 PM
If you're planning on using dragonskin silicone, be aware that there are cure inhibition issues with the finis foil monofin. I used a finis foil in my first tail and although it creates a wonderfully flowy fluke, the fluke can't be repainted near the monofin using silicone(silpoxy is still an option-albeit an expensive and not very nice looking one) because of the foil monofin. I ran into a lot of problems using a foil, but it's really going to depend on the sulfur content in the monofin--some people have used the foil successfully, but I don't recommend it because it is a risk and dragonskin is very expensive. The finis wave is about $50 on amazon usually and I prefer it over the foil.

The foil does look great inside a tail though...my fluke is very flowy in the water and looks very natural.

As for sizing a small fit my 7 1/2 feet perfectly so I would go with a medium if you're an 8 1/2

AniaR
04-28-2014, 11:51 PM
You need to know what you're doing for sure. Ravens tails seem to have no issue with it ( I think she figured out a trade secret) but my mermaid creations tail has the issues listed above

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

MerMatt
04-29-2014, 09:31 PM
@Raina, So aside from the re-painting the fluke issues mentioned, have you experienced any delaminating of silicone from the monofin in your mermaids creation tail? Thats one of my biggest concerns with my mermaid creations tail.

Thanks
Matt

AniaR
04-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Yes I have. At stress points.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk