PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of silicone higher vs lower waistline

Meilyn
04-30-2014, 07:00 AM
Curious,
My first silicone tail is in the works for June so I was reading around and saw a tailmaker say to not alter measurements for a higher or lower waistline.

Does anyone have any experience with higher or lower non-fabric tail waistlines? I say non fabric because it's easier to modify fabric and cheaper. Plus it has more vertical stretch? Than I'm assuming silicone tails to have.

Default is right at belly button I'm assuming. So as it states, what do you think are the pros and cons of a tail waistline?

Merman Arion
04-30-2014, 08:07 AM
I apologize in advance for the heavy pics from Facebook but you are going to have a better idea of what a higher or a lower waistline do.

If it's too high, belly button doesn't show sometimes and your cracks (of your bottom) is covered while sitting. Possible "muffin" top happening.
If it's too low, belly button shows but you might have your cracks showing while sitting. So you might need a belt of a scarf to cover.

You gotta know what would be ideal for you. To each their own preference.

AniaR
04-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Mine is higher and I'm a firm believer that is best. You can cut it down if it is too high or if your waist starts to get damaged. You have something to work with. Never have to worry about your butt showing or tummy rolls. Or if you're swimming and drag pulls the tail down a bit you can swim knowing it isn't showing anything important. You can always hike it down if you wanna show skin.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Aziara
04-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Maybe it's different if you aren't well endowed behind like I am, but I'm having to add on to my tail because I don't want to moon people, lol. And it is only an inch lower than my belly button in front. So I'd say have it come up to your natural waist (smallest point of the torso), at the least.

AniaR
04-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Most people when they want low tails measure too low and have Mer butt crack

Merman Arion
04-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Most people when they want low tails measure too low and have Mer butt crack

LOL yeah

Remember Merman Christian at Merfest with his blue tail?
He had to hide with both hands his crack showing because his waistline was too low while doing the tail wave with everyone ;)

Mermaid Kelda
04-30-2014, 10:41 AM
I'm a firm believer in high waistlines too! When I was first deciding on my tail, I talked to Finfolk about my concerns about a high waistline looking "unnatural", since mermaids are generally shown with tails starting at the hips. They said pretty much the same thing Raina said - you can cut it shorter, but you can't grow it longer!

Now that I have my tail, I think it was the right choice. It looks great, it's flattering, and I don't have to worry about flashing people! And I feel that high waistlines look good on people of all body shapes, whereas low waistlines tend to suit slimmer people. So I guess it depends on your own preferences, and your faith in your ability to measure correctly ;)

Jessica
04-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Personally I really like a lower waist better--but keep in mind that I make my own tails so I can make sure I don't make it too low in the back:)

the tail I made Eva comes up higher on me because her legs are a bit longer, and i don't think it's as flattering because it causes tummy rolls a lot more than my tail--I'm much more self conscious in it.

If you're looking for the best of both worlds, measure to your bellybutton, but see if your tailmaker will consider cutting the tail down by 1- 1 1/2" in the front. I make my tails about an inch higher in the back than the front--like a pair of jeans and it works well for me. You can always trim a tail down, but adding more to the top isn't that easy of a fix.

MerEmma
04-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Personally I really like a lower waist better--but keep in mind that I make my own tails so I can make sure I don't make it too low in the back:)

the tail I made Eva comes up higher on me because her legs are a bit longer, and i don't think it's as flattering because it causes tummy rolls a lot more than my tail--I'm much more self conscious in it.

If you're looking for the best of both worlds, measure to your bellybutton, but see if your tailmaker will consider cutting the tail down by 1- 1 1/2" in the front. I make my tails about an inch higher in the back than the front--like a pair of jeans and it works well for me. You can always trim a tail down, but adding more to the top isn't that easy of a fix.

I've kind of wondered lately why we don't see more of it (or at least it's not mentioned) where it's higher in the back and lower in front. That would be my own preference honestly--I don't want a tail to look like it's connected/too close to a top but I do like it higher up.

Mermaid Wesley
04-30-2014, 01:34 PM
I think if the back is higher it's more likely to gap and do the butt flap thing because there's isn't any tension on the top

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

AniaR
04-30-2014, 01:35 PM
I think it is tricky to measure it correctly like that. Mine actually is higher in the back ;)

Mermaid Wesley
04-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Huh. When it's on or when it's off?

AniaR
04-30-2014, 01:50 PM
It is physically made so back is higher but remember a front doesn't have to curve around a bum which makes it higher. My point is even if you make it that way it doesn't much matter

Mermaid Wesley
04-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Ooh okay I'll keep that in mind thanks ;)

Mermaid Kelda
04-30-2014, 08:55 PM
My tail comes right up to my waist (even a little higher) so I don't get tummy rolls. It's all hidden under silicone haha :)

But, again, if you prefer a lower waistline, I'd still suggest getting it higher, so you can slowly and carefully cut away at it till it's the perfect height front and back.

Mizuko
04-30-2014, 09:30 PM
I made the mistake of making my Ice Cream tail a little TOO low- which I'm still not sure how it happened, because I measured it to my belly button. If the tail isn't completely on properly (not pulled as high as it can go from the ankles to the waist) I get bum crack! haha! But at the front it sits perfectly. I'm adding another inch to the back with some left-over silicone, so if I'm ever in a rush and cant pull it all the way up I still wont get bum crack. I personally like the low-waist, even if my hips look kinda big, haha!

Meilyn
04-30-2014, 10:10 PM
I have a short and flat butt :/ I'm trying to make it bigger butt genetics (lol, get it) says "you will have a flat and short butt". I was thinking about asking it to be right at my waist which is like, half an inch above my belly button so that I could still have that curved hips silhouette. Like, if it pinches at the waist, I'll still look okay than if it were to pinch lower.

I thought about wanting it lower but I'm short as poo so it would be easier to blend in if it were higher. I like the thought of not having to worry and a bit of modesty with being 1/3rd naked lol.

Thank you everyone for your input! Feel free to add more opinions and experiences if you may ^_^ you've all been very helpful!

Kishiko
05-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Personally I prefer a tail thats sits just at the very top of my belly button so i can pull it lower if I want but Im not showing any mer-crack (:

AptaMer
05-05-2014, 04:44 AM
I have a short and flat butt :/ I'm trying to make it bigger butt genetics (lol, get it) says "you will have a flat and short butt".

Hmmm. This raises the question of whether a butt-enhancing tail might be possible. After all, silicone can be added in strategic areas of other products, like the NuBra . . . just thinking out loud here. Not thinking about adding a pair of buns sticking out in behind, but maybe just adding some thickness so flat-bunned wearers could look like they're not tube-shaped from the waist down. Might be very comfy to sit in on pool edges too?

Mermaid Wesley
05-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Hmmmmmm butt enhancing tail.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PearlieMae
05-05-2014, 04:03 PM
That's it! I'm making out-plants for my merbust!

Mermaid Lorelei
05-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Oye, I know all the well the problem of making your waist too short. -.- I have to wear a belt when I swim (no matter what) because of the infamous mer-crack.

My two cents - ALWAYS MAKE IT LONGER THAN YOU NEED. You can trim it down later.

Mermaid Sabie
01-13-2015, 01:32 AM
Hahaha merbutt implants I would love to see if anybody did that!!

Mer-Crazy
01-13-2015, 03:00 AM
Okay gonna throw some spanners into the works because I'm actually struggling with this issue at the moment with my new Merbella's tail. So I personally have a big preference for shorter tails that sit just below the belly button, I think they look nicer. So with my new tail I'm sending in a dummy so I know it will fit perfectly. However I'm also planning on getting the new translucent waist (like what Raina has) so I can't really just 'cut it down' if it ends up too long. I'm also worried about if I take it to just over the belly button, which is where I would like it to sit then you'll be able to see my belly button through the transparent part.

So do I go with what I'd like and have it sit just below the belly button? Or go 'safe' and have it over even though I personally don't like it as much knowing I can't alter the waistline.

AniaR
01-13-2015, 07:07 AM
Mine almost comes up to my boobs but you can't tell cuz of the blend and it makes my tummy flat ;)

Tira
01-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Sorry for just diving right into the middle of all this but I just wanna get it straight..
If your tail is higher in the back and lower in the front, will it gap a lot when you move?

Mermaid Alea
01-13-2015, 04:31 PM
I am glad to see this thread! I have wondered the same thing. I also have the same question as Tira if we now have an answer to if a higher back and lower front to the tail make it open a lot when you move? I guess if you end up with a tail that does that, you can wear a belt.

Yulia
01-14-2015, 11:45 AM
It doesn't have to gap, but the risk of it doing so is probably higher.

Tira
01-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Check!
I'm not a huge fan of high waists, I don't feel very comfortable in it so I'm a bit worried about it

Sherielle
01-14-2015, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't think it would gap, but if you bent over, the back would stick out at the top.

Triton-Mahtlinnie
01-21-2015, 10:36 PM
Did anyone else think of this when they saw "butt-enhancing tail" ?

Coradion
01-21-2015, 11:40 PM
Some of us don't need extra silicone for a bigger butt :P I actually like the continuation of the spine though.

AniaR
01-21-2015, 11:48 PM
I dont thin height has anything to do with gap now that I've had multiple experiences with multiple waists. gap has everything to do with being tight! My new tail is super tight at the waist and doesnt gap. Rapidash used to come all the way up to my boobs too but was looser and would gap when I dove down. The trade off with tight waist tho is muffin top.

Merley
01-22-2015, 06:57 AM
I got the blended waist on mine and it doesn't extend nearly as far as Raina's does. The tail itself does sit very far up definitely past covering my belly button. I gained weight since I was measured for it, so though it fits spot on as far as getting into it, I think the waist is too high for my liking. I wish it was a couple inches lower in the front. The back is perfect. You could suggest to Raven that she makes your blend longer so if you needed to trim it you'd still have it and it wouldn't look odd.

Mermaid Sirenia
01-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Mines higher waisted, I love it because I'm self conscious of my tummy and it hides it ;) plus I haven't had any gapping issues whatsoever!

Merman Lir
01-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Some of us don't need extra silicone for a bigger butt :P I actually like the continuation of the spine though.

am I the only one who wants to see Coradion support this with pictorial evidence?

Mermaid Galene
01-22-2015, 03:05 PM
When I made my neoprene tail, the waist came just up over my navel, but the back rode down and gapped. So I redid the pattern. Now the back is two inches higher than the front, and that makes it sit just right.

Meilyn
02-05-2015, 12:03 PM
-months after I've received my tail-
So I asked for it to be higher/waist high because I didn't want the muffin top thing to be possible. (I've gotten fat)

So far, I'm really happy with my decision. I haven't had any problems nor have I felt it gapping at all when I swim and the way finfolk colored my tail. .. Looks perfect underwater. I haven't had to worry about my crack except as we were taking it off in public once lol. Hand slipped holding my bikini up. Other than that, I love how it sits right at my waist and hides my pudge.

I was talking to Theobromine about tails once and she mentioned how someone's tail kept falling out of place when they swam because it wasn't tight enough. I know even if I lose weight with mine, which I'm hoping to, because my waist is smaller than my hips, I shouldn't have any issues with it falling out of place like it would if I had requested a lower tail.

I've concluded that if you have a tail sitting at your hips and not higher, if you lose weight, the tail may fall out of place because there's nothing to hold it back where as a high waisted tail wouldn't because you would have your butt to keep it in place.

Just a thought.

MermaidBrandie
02-16-2015, 11:01 PM
When I made my neoprene tail I made it super snug and high waisted then hopped into the bathroom with a pair of scissors and cut the front lower to where I wanted. The back was like 1.5 inches higher than the front and I never had issues with gapping. I also cut "v"s in the side and sewed them up to have the waist pinch in. Raina's right, it's alllllllll about the tightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merman Chatfish
02-16-2015, 11:35 PM
For the crack problem, what if you had some extra material that matches and goes into the crack a little bit.
As for the belly button it would be cool to have a tail with a little dimple where the belly button goes.

Little_Orca
02-16-2015, 11:37 PM
Did anyone else think of this when they saw "butt-enhancing tail" ?

*Squeeze Squeeze*

Aysun_the_Mermaid
02-16-2015, 11:55 PM
^ this

Mahi Mermaid
02-21-2015, 10:37 PM
I just made a post about my tail having the gap on my back--looking for ways to fix it? I want my tail to be up higher too, just slightly past my belly button but even when lowered it, still had the gap. Here's a picture

What's the best way to fix this? (I'm still making the tail, need to complete the other side seam)

Would love your input :)

Little_Orca
02-21-2015, 10:43 PM
I am not sure, as I have never made a tail before, so I cannot add any specific advice. It reminds me of jeans, though, and I know a belt tied around your waist will help hide it. A lot of mers wear belts for this reason, as well as to keep the silicone tail from flapping up as you swim.