PDA

View Full Version : Squishie De Bewbs

Little_Orca
05-01-2014, 03:46 PM
All right, I thought the thread title would get you all looking at this and going "What the heck is LO up to now?"

So, mermaid tops. I made one to my size of bra I wear. When I went to an event and was swimming in it, I almost felt like I was going to float right on out of that top. I was really having a hard time keeping the buoys in line! Have other mers here found that going a cup size smaller to press your breasts against your body helps them not to float away or am I alone in this strange world of "calm yo mertits?"

MerEmma
05-01-2014, 03:52 PM
(I know I've posted about this here before...lol, I hope I'm not too pushy about it!)

Are you certain you're in the correct bra size? I can't recall if you ever posted in the same threads I have about the topic of bra sizing but most women in the US follow outdated sizing methods thanks to VS, La Senza, etc. which would easily cause it. You need to have a firm band against your back that won't ride up, the gore needs to tack against your sternum, your entire breast should be contained into the bra, etc.

I'd be happy to share more sizing info if you're interested but I certainly don't want to come off as rude or pushy. For example, according to US sizing I'm a 32A. That size takes my bust measurement of 32 inches, and makes it my UNDERbust measurement which stems from when unstretchy materials were used for bra bands. My real, UK size, is 28D. Which means I have an underbust measurement of 28 inches, and an over bust that is 4 inches difference=D. (A=1 inch, C=3 inches, DD=5 inches, etc.)

In a 32A I constantly have to adjust the band and straps, it's a pain. In a 28D I have no issues with it--never have to adjust it. Currently I only own 32A's though, but I've tried on the blissfulness of a 28D. :P (As you can tell, I'm also very small busted so I can't say I have experienced what you have--maybe some other mers have though)

Mermaid Wesley
05-01-2014, 03:56 PM
I have the same problem and I know I'm sized correctly. If I lean over in my lower cut bras my boobs will fall out of them even on dry land lol. I think it has to do with the shape of the tops and the shape of ur tahtahs

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Morticia Mermaid
05-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Maybe make an extender piece to attach to the bra to cover more of the tatas?

Sent by star fish

Aziara
05-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I tend to have this problem, even if the bra is my size, if it covers too little of me. Demi bras are an absolute no no for me. I mushroom out at the least provocation, lol. Maybe try a bra that says 'full coverage'? they tend to cover more of the chest area, so maybe they'll hold you in better.

Ariadne
05-01-2014, 09:32 PM
hahaha - best thread title evah!

Mermaid Lorelei
05-01-2014, 09:46 PM
I realize this probably sounds like a weird question, but what size are you? I'm trying to get a feel for how large we're talking. :>

ShyMer
05-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Meremma, you always beat me to these :p

Chances are if you're mushrooming out or spilling out of your bra, your cup size is too small (it has nowhere to go but out!) Sizing up in the band won't solve that problem.

If you know for sure you're the right size and it still isn't right, you might need to try a different model bra. One easy example is full on top vrs full on bottom. Sometimes a person who is full on top will not quite be able to fill the bottom of the cup of a bra designed for a person who's full on the bottom.
Other fit issues could be how far apart your breasts are, how high or low or wide your root is, how wide or narrow your shoulders are, etc. To summarize, if it doesn't quite fit, maybe try a different bra.

Also keep on mind that your size is only a starting point. You might find that you like a different size for some bras. Freya bras, for example, are often known for how stretchy they are, so you might like something smaller.

Little Orca, if you wouldn't mind posting a picture of you wearing the top you made, it might help us give more valuable advice. I'm thinking though that if you feel like you have to cram yourself in, your cups might be too small. More information would be helpful though.

Sent from my Huawei-H867G using Tapatalk

Mermaid Jaffa
05-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Maybe you could try on one of those bras that don't have the padding inside?

I think they're called Light Support Bras. If you're covering it with stuff like seashells etc, then you don't have to worry about anything showing through when you're cold...

I wear this style as it has the most coverage. Nothing peeping out, even when I move my arms around. Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.zodee.com.au/s32825-triaction-by-triumph-energy-underwire-sports-bra#.U2MGdvmSxmg

MerEmma
05-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Meremma, you always beat me to these :p

I'm on here way too much. xD I'm sure one day you'll beat me. :P

Winged Mermaid
05-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Be wary of going a cup size down for support with mer bras... if I wear the top I made when I was a C cup (now a D cup) I have like WOAH cleavage that goes dang near up to my collar bone XP Not very family friendly.

I've never had the floaty boobie issue though, so not sure what to say with that. Sorry, which I could help more!

Little_Orca
05-02-2014, 04:00 AM
I realize this probably sounds like a weird question, but what size are you? I'm trying to get a feel for how large we're talking. :>

I am a 38 C. I never thought it was that big until I looked into mermaid bras, hah.

Little_Orca
05-02-2014, 04:05 AM
Little Orca, if you wouldn't mind posting a picture of you wearing the top you made, it might help us give more valuable advice. I'm thinking though that if you feel like you have to cram yourself in, your cups might be too small. More information would be helpful though.

Sent from my Huawei-H867G using Tapatalk

I don't cram into my current one, it fits lovely until I'm in the water then I can feel them moving around in the bra and they feel like they are going to flow out.

This is my current shell bra though:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/122a8ce360582e67bc63cf4ab403da1c/tumblr_mpigqcT3jx1svtcddo1_1280.jpg

Mermaid Wesley
05-02-2014, 04:09 AM
Maybe tighten the straps up to help feel more secure?

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Winged Mermaid
05-02-2014, 05:15 AM
I was thinking.. it might be the material.. All materials tend to relax and fit a little looser in water. If your bra isn't all or mostly spandex and nylon, it will relax more than usual and could cause a lose feeling where your girls can move around more. Best thing to do for now is to tighten the band and the straps up before you get in the water so when it relaxes it still fits well. I reccomend that next time you make a top, go for a bra that's spandex and nylon, and feels more like bathing suit material than a normal bra.

Little_Orca
05-02-2014, 06:01 AM
I wear them as tight as I can both directions. :) Hehe. Maybe a step down to a 36 C for mermaiding might be in order. Who knows. I have lots of time to figure this out at least.

Aziara
05-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Now I'm worried that I'll float out of the top I'm making. I'm a sister size of 38C (same size cups, smaller band)

MerEmma
05-02-2014, 11:50 AM
I wear them as tight as I can both directions. :) Hehe. Maybe a step down to a 36 C for mermaiding might be in order. Who knows. I have lots of time to figure this out at least.

You could be a 36C but to me you look larger...it might be worth checking your size anyway to be absolutely positive that's not the cause. I'm sure you have tape measure laying around the house. I recommend this site, personally: http://www.brasizecalculator.tk/

Vixy
05-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Are you certain you're in the correct bra size? I can't recall if you ever posted in the same threads I have about the topic of bra sizing but most women in the US follow outdated sizing methods thanks to VS, La Senza, etc. which would easily cause it. You need to have a firm band against your back that won't ride up, the gore needs to tack against your sternum, your entire breast should be contained into the bra, etc.

I hope I'm not the only one who decided to start feeling my bra and breasts to see if it's in the right place and fitted right :p

MerEmma
05-02-2014, 06:20 PM
I hope I'm not the only one who decided to start feeling my bra and breasts to see if it's in the right place and fitted right :p

Hahaha! Omg. :lol: As much as I hate BuzzFeed, this page has some really good pictures of how a bra should fit: http://www.buzzfeed.com/deepalakshmin/8-signs-youre-wearing-the-wrong-bra-size-dmdm

Mermaid Jaffa
05-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Luckily, the shop I buy my bras from, the two older ladies can just eyeball them without having to use their measuring tapes...

Amazing weird thing is, they can do that even with all my clothes on!

If you are big chested and the bra you're using only covers half or has a big dipper cleavage, your boobs gonna fall out no matter what you do or try not to do.

Better to use full coverage bras as they offer more support, they may seem rigid but just think, you're swimming to the shallow end to meet some kiddies and suddenly you realize you didn't have to worry about anything having vacated their premises in the whole 2 hours you've been splashing and frolicking at the pool. Doing your mermaid tricks, flailing your arms about (or maybe that's just me!), not once did you have to adjust yourself after your dives, and prob a whole lot of other reasons that would make your personal floaties float out of your mermaid top.

AptaMer
05-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Luckily, the shop I buy my bras from, the two older ladies can just eyeball them without having to use their measuring tapes...

Amazing weird thing is, they can do that even with all my clothes on!

Hmmm?! So X-Ray vision is real after all :)

Mermaid Jaffa
05-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Why yes!:lol:

Came across these today. Mermaid Boob Cups!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=mermaid+flukes&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DbZpU-DqOsXXkAWWiYCoBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1097&bih=546#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=breysLul_wKZoM%253A%3B0f-HUosmI6T_LM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi128.photobucket. com%252Falbums%252Fp177%252Fdocjava_3%252FP8040016 .jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.modelmayhem.com%252F po.php%253Fthread_id%253D606804%3B800%3B600