PDA

View Full Version : MerNetwork has just been moved to a new server. Report any errors here!

malinghi
05-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Yesterday we relocated the site to a new server with a new hosting company. In the long run this should make the site run better and with fewer errors, but right now the site has been a bit buggy due to the change. We're in the process of taking care of those issues, but in the meantime we can give info about that here, and you guys can report any errors you encounter.

Mermaid Jaffa
05-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Some of the smileys aren't displaying in the list.

PearlieMae
05-04-2014, 10:43 PM
I can't seem to post any photos. It goes through the upload steps, but never shows in the window. Thanks!

Mermaid Wesley
05-04-2014, 11:12 PM
I actually cant see any images at all. (except for people's icons and signatures)

JessieMermaid
05-05-2014, 12:03 AM
I can occasionally see pictures but they are usually what I've posted or the newer ones other mers post. In other words: older pics don't pull up for me.....

Mermaid Wesley
05-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Actually I think I am the same as Jessie

Mermaid Jessica Pearl
05-05-2014, 12:55 AM
Yeah no old photos for me either.

Seaweed
05-05-2014, 01:29 AM
I actually cant see any images at all. (except for people's icons and signatures)

Yup, I can't see them either...

Mermaid Wesley
05-05-2014, 01:44 AM
oh also tapatalk does not seem to be functional oops

Winged Mermaid
05-05-2014, 02:49 AM
We're working on fixing the attachments/general images (including smiles) issue. We should have that fixed tomorrow if all goes well.
Tapatalk I tried fixing this morning and it was having none of it. I'm going to try again tonight and see if I can get it to behave.

Due to the nature of ISPs and servers and stuff that quite frankly I don't fully understand, we just might have to wait a few days for some of the bugs to round out. Keep reporting any issues, and thank you for bearing with us :)

malinghi
05-05-2014, 02:53 AM
I'll look into these issues tomorrow. Thanks for lettting me know about them.

Winged Mermaid
05-05-2014, 04:37 AM
If Tapatalk or mobile view isn't working for you, here's what you need to do to fix it!

You need to clear the DNS cache on your mobile device! Your DNS cache stores the locations (IP addresses) of webservers that contain pages which you have recently viewed. If the location of the web server changes before the entry in your DNS cache updates, you will be unable to access the site. Same for the Tapatalk app. If you wait for it to update on it's own, you may be waiting a while. For Apple devices, turn your phone/tablet on airplane mode! If you have wifi, try turning wifi on and connecting to the mobile view or tapatalk app while in airplane mode before you turn airplane mode back off.

For android, try the steps here: http://georgecm.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Flush-the-DNS-in-an-Android-Phone

The Harlem Mermaid
05-05-2014, 05:20 AM
i too cant post photos nor upload do you know how to fix it?

The Harlem Mermaid
05-05-2014, 05:22 AM
hi malinghi (http://mernetwork.com/index/member.php?1-malinghi) i m having trouble uploading photos to new album any suggestions?

Mermaid Kate Silverfin
05-05-2014, 05:35 AM
I can't view a lot of images, some seem to work and others don't!

Mermaid Romy
05-05-2014, 05:39 AM
Yeah I'm on the images boat too :C None of my albums are working either...

Winged Mermaid
05-05-2014, 05:47 AM
Pretty much all of the pictures aren't working right now. It's basically a set of files that didn't make the transfer that we're having to transfer over after the fact. Also since that's where the database stores photos that people upload, that file/directory doesn't exist on the new server yet so you can't put anything in it. Non-default smiles, albums, attachments, even photos in the forum skins are missing. The only photos that are visible right now are ones that are icons or are hosted elsewhere- like when people post from photobucket, which most do with signatures which is why they're still visible.

We'll get it fixed :) You can still upload images that are hosted elsewhere- just whenever you click to upload from the URL, uncheck the box that says to take the image and host it locally (locally = on our server). It will post images if you do it that way. Once we get this taken care of (should be tomorrow) everything should go back to normal.

Sephina
05-05-2014, 08:35 AM
I don't see the old latest posts/top posters/top threads anymore. Should I be able to?

malinghi
05-05-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm working on the error with attachments not working. I just want to test this out:
https://24.media.tumblr.com/bf72923f5429e63c68fb270e39c6006e/tumblr_n4xd87GGsV1rapublo1_500.jpg

malinghi
05-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Okay, it looks like the attachments should be working again. Everyone should be able to see the attachments, and upload new ones. If it doesn't work for you please let me know.

malinghi
05-05-2014, 01:03 PM
I don't see the old latest posts/top posters/top threads anymore. Should I be able to?

No, that's temporarily disabled. I might not get around to re-enabling it for a couple days. Is it your preferred method of seeing the latest threads? I'm very interested in which features of the site people find most useful.

AniaR
05-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Yes I use that the most

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Kishiko
05-05-2014, 03:07 PM

Same thing here. Its gone

MermanOliver
05-05-2014, 05:02 PM
I used the 'latest posts' function a lot lately, too.

Winged Mermaid
05-05-2014, 06:24 PM
So I moved over some image folders, so most everything should be working. Tailmaker page, tailmaking page, smilies, skin images, front page images, ect. :thumbs-up: I still need to go in and fix the postbit social media images when I have time later. Let me know if you guys notice any other images missing.

Mermaid Wesley
05-05-2014, 11:19 PM
this thing happened. Idk if its just my computer though.

Winged Mermaid
05-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Yeah, it gives errors on the album page. We're looking into that. Thanks :)

Seaweed
05-06-2014, 08:46 PM
For some reason I still don't see the attachments?

Seaweed
05-06-2014, 08:47 PM
That looks like a glitch, but thank you admins!

Seaweed
05-06-2014, 08:49 PM
I see many of the new photos but not the old ones...
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?6762-Re-homed-Tails-for-Busselton-Mermaids

Check the first page. It says there's attachments but when I click on it, nothing happens

Mermaid Jaffa
05-07-2014, 02:10 AM
I can't go to Adopt a Child mermaid gig thread. It keeps saying all day, that the page is broken. Grey screen with jigsaw puzzle piece, that error msg.

Winged Mermaid
05-07-2014, 02:15 AM
I see many of the new photos but not the old ones...
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?6762-Re-homed-Tails-for-Busselton-Mermaids

Check the first page. It says there's attachments but when I click on it, nothing happens

I'm not having any issue viewing the attachments.. hum... is there any error message that comes up, or does it just not display?

I can't go to Adopt a Child mermaid gig thread. It keeps saying all day, that the page is broken. Grey screen with jigsaw puzzle piece, that error msg.

Could you provide a screenshot please? We can't know where to look if we don't know the exact error message. Thanks!

Mermaid Jaffa
05-07-2014, 02:51 AM
I see the first page briefly then while it is trying to load, it goes to that grey screen. Sorry had to resize it and the text went all blurry.

Meshy
05-07-2014, 02:57 AM
I'm also getting the "Aw Snap" page on that thread. I'm guessing it's being moved or something like that if the move is still happening... Cuz if it was a 503 or 404 error, then there'd be issues, I think this is still being transferred over.

Winged Mermaid
05-07-2014, 03:09 AM
That thread loads fine for me on Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. Very interesting.. Hum. Not sure what's up with that. I'll have Malinghi take a look. Thanks for posting about it guys, would have had no idea otherwise!

Mermaid Jaffa
05-07-2014, 10:14 AM
More security or some kind thing to stop bots from joining.

Current new person, his occupation is: United States, country: US, location: Australia...

Kishiko
05-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah second bot this morning...

Winged Mermaid
05-07-2014, 03:11 PM
We had a good bot/spam filter mod and a different captcha at registration, but we had to disable them because it was causing errors. I'll see if I can get something else, but just be aware there might be more errors while we test it out.
Kinda gotta laugh though.. those mods saved us from the insane wave of bots, what was that, a year ago? 2 bots in a day is nothing to blink at compared to the dozens that were registering every few minutes during the worst day of that insanity! I literally couldn't delete them fast enough.

Mermaid Wesley
05-07-2014, 03:12 PM
It makes me laugh. They're like Internet ants creeping in the cracks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AniaR
05-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Can I just say, I love that tapatalk now notifies you when people quote you! that's cool!

Delphine
05-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Aw, new server bugs! Site wouldn't let me attach files (photos or anything) today. :/

Kishiko
05-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Is the recent wave of spam bots because of the new server?

Winged Mermaid
05-08-2014, 06:18 PM
No, the spam bots aren't because of the new server. The bots are always there, but the reason whey they're getting through is that

We had a good bot/spam filter mod and a different captcha at registration, but we had to disable them because it was causing errors.

Kishiko
05-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Woops sorry! Didnt see your last post about it! Oh happy birthday by the way!

AniaR
05-08-2014, 09:16 PM
you guys can always just report the spam with the little ! button. ;)

Winged Mermaid
05-09-2014, 12:34 AM
No problem :) And thank you! Was kind of crazy to wake up on my birthday and see penises on my forum O_o Looking into new spam-blocking mods tonight!

Kishiko
05-09-2014, 01:41 AM
Haha yeah that was a bit of shock when opening -and scrambling to click away from- that thread lol

Winged Mermaid
05-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Just installed a new spam mod, we'll see how it goes! If you guys run across any errors, please report them here. Thanks!

Seaweed
05-09-2014, 10:06 AM
It says there's an attachment, but you can't click on it. And Before, you didn't need to click on it. But the photos posted later on are seeable.

AniaR
05-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Its weird the attachments have been working fine for me

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Seaweed
05-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Oh well, but that is strange...

Winged Mermaid
05-09-2014, 06:45 PM
It says there's an attachment, but you can't click on it. And Before, you didn't need to click on it. But the photos posted later on are seeable.

We had an issue with the attachments but it was fixed.. not sure why it isn't working for you. Can you provide some details? (Obviously you need to be logged in to see attachments, just checking that you're logged in.) What browser are you using? Also, when you scroll down to the very bottom of the page, what version of vBulletin does it say the forum is running on?

Mermaid Julianne
05-11-2014, 03:28 PM
I've been having photo problems as well. On the tapatalk app, all of the photos show, but they're very pixelated like they're buffering but can't load all the way. So all the photos posted show up blurry. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm curious if its just me or not...

ShyMer
05-11-2014, 09:57 PM
The site bugged out for me on the show us your tails thread- it seemed to think that my farthest read post was the first one, and when I tried to go to the last page, it wouldn't go past pg 67 (out of 69.) I don't think this is happening on any other threads for me yet.

Edit- it still thinks the farthest read post is the first one. Kinda weird.

AniaR
05-11-2014, 11:49 PM
for some people, gifs arent working. I've been using them in posts and on my end no matter what they work, but people report not being able to see them. I usually just do the code, or copy and paste right in, I dont usually attach them. But previously all 3 methods worked. Not sure if it's a bug with the move or not!

Echidna
05-12-2014, 12:06 AM
The site bugged out for me on the show us your tails thread- it seemed to think that my farthest read post was the first one, and when I tried to go to the last page, it wouldn't go past pg 67 (out of 69.) I don't think this is happening on any other threads for me yet.

same here.

Mermaid Kate Silverfin
05-14-2014, 10:01 PM
I've been having a problem where if I leave a tab open with a forum thread, and go to reply on it later, it gives me a message that my token has expired and to reload the page. I refresh the page, and still get the same error, so I can't post. I have to go out of the thread and then re-navigate to it to be able to post on it. This is happening on one of my own threads, so I do have permission to post on it.
Thanks! :)

Winged Mermaid
05-14-2014, 10:46 PM
I've been having a problem where if I leave a tab open with a forum thread, and go to reply on it later, it gives me a message that my token has expired and to reload the page. I refresh the page, and still get the same error, so I can't post. I have to go out of the thread and then re-navigate to it to be able to post on it. This is happening on one of my own threads, so I do have permission to post on it.
Thanks! :)

This has always been an issue, actually. I can look into it, but it may just be part of how the forum software handles it.

Mermaid Kate Silverfin
05-14-2014, 10:53 PM
I actually didn't find this problem before the server switch, but that may just be because I didn't post as much back then, so it may just be an artifact of higher usage on my part. All good, now that I know it is not just me, it's fine, I have my workarounds :)

Mermaid Kelda
05-15-2014, 03:01 AM

Yep, same here. Came here to report it myself. Can't get past page 67 on desktop or mobile :\

Winged Mermaid
05-15-2014, 05:11 AM

I believe I fixed it. It no longer thinks there are 2 extra pages when they're aren't. Also I navigated to the newest post via the "Last Post" in the forum and it took me to the last post when I clicked it.

Merman Arion
05-15-2014, 05:15 AM
By the way, Iona, we lost the buttons under the profile picture where you can click and go to the instagram/tumblr/facebook/youtube of a mer.

Is that gonna be fixed as well? Not that I really mind though but I just noticed :p

Winged Mermaid
05-15-2014, 06:35 AM
By the way, Iona, we lost the buttons under the profile picture where you can click and go to the instagram/tumblr/facebook/youtube of a mer.

Is that gonna be fixed as well? Not that I really mind though but I just noticed :p

Yeah, I noticed that shorty after the move. A lot of mods/add-ons were deactivated temporarily as there as one that was causing issues/errors, but we couldn't pin point it. I'm just going to have to uninstall and reinstall several of them.. which is a pain so it's taking me a while to get around to. I'm also taking care of the more important ones first (like the spam mods, we seriously need those back online). So.. eventually, haha :P I'm trying to wrap up some projects in the next week or two, so hopefully after that I'll have a week where I can sit down and hash out some of that stuff.

Thanks for pointing it out just in case though :) I appreciate you guys pointing out things so I can at least try to resolve them. I can't have eyes everywhere after all ;) Thanks for your help everyone!

PaolaMF
06-08-2015, 07:12 PM
hello, I want to show my mermaid tails, someone can tell me how to open a forum?
thanks

Ashe
06-08-2015, 07:20 PM
That doesn't have anything to do with this thread, dear. You just have to create a new post.