PDA

View Full Version : swimming in the ocean with monofins and/or tails

Mardoll_Star
05-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I have seen it mentioned a few times here and there about merfolks swimming in the ocean with various tails or a monofin but I wanted to specifically ask for people's experiences. What kinds of monofins or tails do you find are good for swimming in the ocean? Are there any special concerns or things you need to take into account when swimming with a tail or monofin in the ocean?
I haven't yet gotten my monofin, but I should be getting it within the next few weeks and I'm going to start practicing with it several times a week. I think I would like to make a neoprene tail for my first tail and I would really like to swim in the ocean in the tail when I go on vacation at the end of September. I think this would give me enough time to practice with both the monofin and then then tail before I have to deal with waves and a stronger current.
I'd love to hear all thoughts and experiences with this! Thanks!

Mermaid Wesley
05-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Well I've never swam in a monofin or tail in the ocean, but I imagine that once you're past the break zone it shouldn't be too difficult. You have to think about currents but those shouldn't be any more dangerous than they are normally. If you can find a sheltered beach with not a lot of waves you could try it out in a monofin I think. Be careful either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sashiyoop
05-05-2014, 06:16 PM
I've also never swam in the ocean, but Lake Erie can get nastily choppy. I've heard from around the forums that the finis competitor is one of the est for ocean swimming, but unless I can get one with smaller foot pockets, I won't be able to test that. Whatever you do, make sure there's someone with you so if things start to turn sour you can get to safety. Definitely swim in an area with lifeguards your first few times, at least until you feel comfortable with your monofin in the ocean. The currents and stuff can be pretty unpredictable, especially if you're in an area you've never swam in before.

Mermaid Harmony
05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Our pod goes swimming in the ocean fairly often, we swim in places that don't have strong currents or waves, ex. we would be stupid to go swim on the North Shore in the middle of winter with 40 ft+ waves. I have gone swimming in the ocean with an oceanika, finis rapid, finis wave, finis trainer, and competitor monofin. For sure the trainer and competitor are my favorite, I feel strong and powerful in the water and I love it. The oceanika is more for looks, it is great for shallow water, and perfect for land parties with kids, I don't have to worry if a kid accidentally gets tapped with my fin because it's so soft it won't hurt. The rapid is good in the ocean, and the wave is too small for my feet to feel like I have much power, but it's still better than the oceanika I feel power wise.

Coradion has a fiber glass fin that's beautiful in the water, and I can't remember what the rest of our pod has, Storm has a foil that she really likes but takes a lot of energy (it's also a new tail so those always take getting used to), Meowmaid has a wave, and so each person has a comfort level and a fin that is right for them. It really depends. I have a video on my mermaid harmony page, and Ayesha's page, and Mermaids of Hawaii page of our pod swimming with our different tails and you can see the variety, it's pretty interesting and great music. Hope this massive wall of words helped a little. :-)

AniaR
05-05-2014, 08:30 PM
my competitor fin has been amazing in the ocean!

Arella
05-05-2014, 08:52 PM
I swam with my competitor fin tail in Florida without problems

Mardoll_Star
05-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, I'm going to Ocracoke Island here on the Outer Banks in NC for a week at the end of September, and that's where I'm planning on swimming. I've seen lots of different water conditions on different days so it will just depend on the weather and how comfortable I am feeling swimming in my monofin by then (or hopefully tail!) I'm planning on getting the rapid, so it's good to hear that's a pretty good one for the ocean swimming. Hopefully we'll get some nice, calmer, clearer water while I'm there so that I can try it! Unfortunately I think the competitor is out of my price range for now, but it's good to know for the future.
Harmony, I was able to find the video on Mermaid Ayesha's page. It was nice to see you all swimming together, it looked like you were having so much fun!