PDA

View Full Version : Swim Spas

Echidna
05-05-2014, 07:07 PM
for those who've never heard of it; it's basically a long oblong whirlpool designed for swimming, with a powerful counter-current system already built in.

From what I've read about it (no chlorine, it's cleaned with ozone; can be used all year round, day or night, at a temperature of one's liking and still doesn't cost as much as a regular pool; no big construction needed, it's basically ready and tested; can also be used with fountains to relax and have fun in), it sounds far superior to a regular pool while being on par or less expensive overall.

now the catch; can one really swim in a small enclosure with countercurrent?
the manufacturers say yes, of course.
they're also being candid and mention it's difficult to do and has to be learned and practiced over a long time to be enjoyable lol.

they claim all swim styles, even butterfly, are possible, but does that really include underwater dolphin?
I've no idea!
Asked around already in several pool forums, but the countercurrent system owners don't know either because they all do the surface paddle :p

sooo...any mer here ever tried to tailswim, or underwater-dolphin, with a countercurrent, or even owns a swimspa?
Please let us know.

Mermaid Jaffa
05-05-2014, 10:58 PM
The only people I've seen swimming in a current, are those kids from the Mahina Merfin ad.

The one where they are hanging on to a bit of rope tied to a tree and using that to swim.

I've swam in a pool where there is a wave machine, prob doesn't count but the waves once created, even though weren't very strong like ocean waves, did have enough force to push me and my nephew back to the shallow end. I suppose a very strong swimmer would be able to swim against it and hold their current position.

Echidna
05-06-2014, 12:57 AM
ah yes, the swim rope.
some people use it instead of a countercurrent machine, because the better ones (making a really good current and not just a surface stream) are fiendishly expensive.

however, I cannot imagine underwater dolphin to work well while attached to a rope...even less than trying to swim in a countercurrent.
I wish I could try it out somewhere before making a really huge investment :/

Mermaid Jaffa
05-06-2014, 02:33 AM
Maybe you could make your own with some kind of waterproof fan and a large puddle of water.

Either way, I still think you'd have to be a very very strong swimmer, otherwise you'd find yourself crashing into the pool walls, or worse getting dunked underwater.

Mermiah
05-16-2014, 11:06 AM
My sister who is a boss swimmer used to do dolfin kick underwater with a rope (however she did wind up with a junky shoulder and that could have played a part :/)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echidna
05-16-2014, 01:35 PM
My sister who is a boss swimmer used to do dolfin kick underwater with a rope (however she did wind up with a junky shoulder and that could have played a part :/)

underwater dolphin needs the forward thrust.
swimming it tethered to a rope isn't the best idea :/

however, I tried swimming against valves this week.
they weren't a real countercurrent system, just strong massage valves, but it was already possible to swim steadily in place in front of them, so I have no worries in that regard anymore :)

(now just need to get the money :money:)

Mermaid Jaffa
05-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Its too bad you can't make something that powers off you when you're swimming!

Free and cheap energy!:lol:

Mermaid Melanie
05-18-2014, 02:32 AM
Id swam in my mono fin and tail in ocean currents and it was fine - i find the mono fin helps you along a lot