PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Gulf Coast - Easy Underwater Shoot Locations?

Mermaid Galene
05-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Hey, Merfolk ~

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a tidal pool area or protected cove on the Alabama Gulf Coast that would be deep enough for an underwater shoot without needing diving gear. In June my husband/mertender and I are visiting my Mom, who lives on Mobile Bay, and we plan a photoshoot on Gulf Shores State Park beach. It would be nice to get some underwater footage while we're there, but the water that I've been to in that area has a lot of wave action, frequent riptides, and the occasional shark attack. If anyone knows of a location in that area with calm ocean water, maybe 6-10 feet deep, I'd be grateful to learn about it. Thanks!

JessieMermaid
05-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Try Styx river, It's a fairly calm slow moving river at its deepest its no more than maybe 12 ft. but it only happens in pockets. There is also plenty of mini beaches to rest on. If you want to hang out message me and we can meet up while you are in town.

Mermaid Galene
05-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the tip, Jessie! We would definitely enjoy meeting a Southern mermaid. Not sure how much time there will be for socializing, though. We only have one day for our photoshoot, and I suspect we'll be up to our gills in that!

JessieMermaid
05-08-2014, 08:46 AM
That's ok. Maybe next time?

Mermaid Galene
05-08-2014, 10:06 AM
For sure! I get down there 2-3 times a year depending on how Mom's doing. (She's 86.)

JessieMermaid
05-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Wow! Well good health to her! Hubby's grandad is 96 or 97.

BayouMermaid
05-08-2014, 11:55 PM
YES! There is a good location, but you have to go at the right time. There is a bridge that goes over the pass between the gulf and the bay. Go at high tide and the water is calm and clear. Because they dredge the pass for boats, it gets rather deep. A dive flag is useful for visibility. There are shallower areas that are protected from traffic. There are usually quite a few snorkelers, and I've been snorkeling there before. Check the weather to find out high and low tide times. Don't go when the water is coming into the bay as it is a very strong current.

BayouMermaid
05-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Parking and outdoor showers are also available at this location as it is a public beach.

Mermaid Galene
05-09-2014, 12:38 AM
I'm trying to picture this. Do you mean the big Hwy 10 bridge across to Mobile? Or the smaller one from Spanish Fort? or the Perdido Bay bridge near Pensacola? Or somewhere else?

BayouMermaid
05-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Woops. Gulf shores Alabama.

BayouMermaid
05-09-2014, 08:05 AM
See how clear and calm the water is in the second picture? That is at high tide. As you move into the middle of the pass, it gets deeper. If you go at low tide, the water looks like poo 'cause it's all coming out the lagoon :(

You can see a lot of fish there. Last time, I saw a starfish, a stingray, a goby, a small baracuda, and a bunch of yellow and blue fish that I have no idea the name of. Amazing.

Mermaid Galene
05-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Awesome! I'm sure we've driven past this but just didn't notice it was a public beach. We usually go the other direction, to Gulf State Park. We'll check out this spot for underwater shooting. Many thanks, Bayou!

H-SAMA
08-05-2014, 09:11 AM
You can see a lot of fish there. Last time, I saw a starfish, a stingray, a goby, a small baracuda, and a bunch of yellow and blue fish that I have no idea the name of. Amazing.

aw, that's so cute, I didn't know they had stingrays here! Love them!

Mermaid Galene
08-05-2014, 10:51 AM
While we were shooting in the water, the tide started to go out. Many large clumps of seaweed floated past us, and from the surface some of them looked like rays. But then another bather spotted an actual sting(?)ray near us. I really wanted a closer look, but since it was passing 1-2 feet from our legs, we decided holding still would be prudent.

H-SAMA
08-06-2014, 04:48 PM
OMG! I can't wait to make my tail and go for a shoot too. <3
Seems so fun.
What do people around say/ how they react to the fact you are a mermaid on their beach?

Mermaid Galene
08-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Nobody said a word to us on the beach or in the water, surprisingly! The only interaction with passersby was after our photoshoot, when I had rinsed my tail and had it hanging on a nearby fence. A Mom and her little girl came by and asked me if I was a mermaid. I told them if I'm very careful with my tail, I can change into legs for awhile on land.

H-SAMA
08-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Nobody said a word to us on the beach or in the water, surprisingly! The only interaction with passersby was after our photoshoot, when I had rinsed my tail and had it hanging on a nearby fence. A Mom and her little girl came by and asked me if I was a mermaid. I told them if I'm very careful with my tail, I can change into legs for awhile on land.

awww. how adorable! <3
I am originally from Brazil, and I am still a bit er, unsure of how people react here.

I got some weird looks once or twice because of my bf (I am dark skinned and he is light skinned) and I don't want that to be one more issue... if you know what I want to say here. He gets really upset.

Mermaid Galene
08-06-2014, 11:21 PM
I think most people are surprised and delighted to see a live mermaid. Anybody who gives you, or you and your boyfriend, a weird look is not worth acknowledging. Just ignore those jerks!