PDA

View Full Version : Public Appearance

shimmygoddess
05-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Trying to figure out what is appropriate to charge for a public appearance. It is not a private party event, but more of a meet and greet in a public place? Thoughts

AniaR
05-08-2014, 04:29 PM
I do free meet and greets that I organize just for promotional value. I show up for 45 minutes or so, pose for pics and hand out loads of cards. If I am hired for a meet and greet I typically charge 100$/hr for the first two hours, then take it down to 70$ an hour after that, but a second mermaid is 60$ per hour. I also charge a flat rate for handouts depending on what they want which can range from 20-50$.

Sometimes I will cut deals with people for a lesser rate if they allow me to collect tips and sell my merch. Tips are great. I might charge 50$ an hour so end up only making 100$ for two hours of a meet and greet, but then I make 200-300$ in tips/sales and it all works out.

It's really a case by case discretion thing. I do volunteer for certain appearances.

Kishiko
05-08-2014, 04:57 PM
I was wondering the same thing ifour local fair hires me (theyre considering it) to do like a meet and greet booth

shimmygoddess
05-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks Raina, that really helps. They offered $100 for about 1 1/2 hours. I want to add I originally contacted them with the idea, which they loved. I didn't really want to do it for free, but didn't want to charge too high since it wasn't them looking for a mermaid initially.

Ayla of Duluth
05-09-2014, 12:14 AM
I usually price based on the financial well being of the venue or whoever is hiring me. For example, I usually charge $80/hour for public meet and greets, but last year I did an event at the local zoo, which has very little income and struggles to stay in business, I went down to $30/hour for them. Then again, it was a 6-8 hour event, whereas events are typically 1-2 hours long.

Merman Arion
05-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Since we are speaking about public appearance, I have some questions for you, Iona.
About your video with the fountain, how did you choose the place and why? Did you have any trouble? I'm thinking about doing the same thing in Paris as we have loads of fountain but I'm wondering if it's against the law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BHU64VulRM

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Aziara
05-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Speaking of public appearance, I have some questions for you, Iona.
About your video with the fountain, how did you choose the place and why? Did you have any trouble? I'm thinking about doing the same thing in Paris as we have loads of fountain but I'm wondering if it's against the law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BHU64VulRM

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk Yeah, I'd like to know about this too. I'm thinking about splashing around in this fountain in my town: http://www.vrml.k12.la.us/vermilion/images/fountain.jpg

BayouMermaid
05-09-2014, 08:37 AM
I kind of feel like these situations it is better to ask forgiveness than permission...
If someone has a problem with it, they'll probably just tell you to get out.

PearlieMae
05-09-2014, 08:58 AM
I would imagine it could be a problem legally, whether you were in a public fountain for taking some photos or if you are there to promote yourself as a commercial venture...the laws probably vary widely from a warning or a ticket for creating an 'attractive nuisance' to actual trespassing charges.

I'm all for apologizing over asking first. If you ask, you give them a chance to say no, whether or not no is a correct answer.

MerEmma
05-09-2014, 09:43 AM
I think Iona said there was a festival going on or something and that's the only reason she did it without an issue. I've never heard of a fountain you could actually bathe in without it being illegal.

AniaR
05-09-2014, 09:54 AM
They're usually really dirty

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Vixy
05-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Agreed on the dirtiness. My friend and I were walking around Plymouth and I mentioned the fountain there. Because hey it'll be cool he then mentioned that kids play in it but drunk people tend to use it for things.

Mermaid Wesley
05-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Ewww. My buddy goes to Chapman University in California and they let people hang out in the fountains I they want so sometimes people will study while sitting in a fountain on campus which is funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merman Arion
05-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Agreed on the dirtiness. My friend and I were walking around Plymouth and I mentioned the fountain there. Because hey it'll be cool he then mentioned that kids play in it but drunk people tend to use it for things.

Seriously? :eek:

PearlieMae
05-09-2014, 04:12 PM

Seriously. People are gross.

Vixy
05-09-2014, 04:22 PM

Seriously. People do disgusting stuff when drunk, I've seen a few suspicious looking things floating in fountains before.

AniaR
05-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Or not even drunk

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Winged Mermaid
05-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Emma is correct- the only reason security wasn't an issue was because there was a local festival going on one block over. They lowered the security for the fountains and allowed people to get in them an splash around, so I seized my chance! A cop rolled by whole I was in there and didn't care. The water was STRONGLY chlorinated, like where you can smell it walking by. I was careful not to get any water on my face or in my mouth, and took a shower and a detox bath right after I got home. Was on my mermaid bucket list, I just had to :P

Keiris
05-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Iona, you have no idea the unmitigated GLEE I would have had if I would have seen a mermaid in a fountain as I strolled by! You looked lovely!