PDA

View Full Version : Watermarks

Arella
05-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Hey guys :) so I have some pictures I want to post around but I'm worried about people stealing them I was wondering what you guys suggest using for adding water marks to pics?

Mermaid Momo
05-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Do you have any sort of editing software? (paint.net and gimp are really simple to use and free) You can add them in these programs (just use an image or text with a translucent background and add this on top of your image on a new layer and make the layer semi-translucent)

MerEmma
05-09-2014, 11:23 AM
If you're particularly worried about yourself being cropped out of your tail (it's happened to Iona a lot...her cropped out and on weheartit/pinterest/tumblr just her tail posted) then be sure to put it directly on the tail in someway it's not easily photoshopped out. I can't even imagine how agitating that has to be. :S

Good luck!

Mermaid Momo
05-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Examples of watermarks in paint.net
The first ones have watermarks on the overlay setting. (I used both text and a logo to show how they would look) and the second picture is on normal with the opacity of the layer turned down. And to keep people from cropping out your watermark and just keeping your tail, you can actually tilt the text and place it right over your tail and then set your settings on it.

Mermaid Momo
05-09-2014, 11:32 AM
There is also a way to add "invisible" watermarks that aren't noticeable until someone downloads the image and tries to edit it or upload it somewhere else.

Arella
05-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks guys this helps a lot : )

PearlieMae
05-09-2014, 03:26 PM
I do 'invisible' watermarking on my pro work (photographer), but that's just in case I end up in court over them. The overlay layers are the best way to go...if someone is going to steal your image, they are going to do it with or without a watermark.

shimmygoddess
05-09-2014, 04:13 PM
DEF. watermark your stuff! I am a photog and watermark about 98 % of what I put online, even they are with my phone and not totally professional looking. Even then though I have had photos stolen and the watermark cropped out. I do it in Photoshop. You can do something like this:
or 20644

:lol: ;) j/k but sometime I seriously want to post stuff like that.

Mermaid Momo
05-09-2014, 04:29 PM
make sure you put the copyright on some vital part of the image that people won't be inclined to crop out too

Morticia Mermaid
05-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Question, how does one do an invisible water mark? Would love to know how if someone wouldn't mind telling me

Sent by star fish

shimmygoddess
05-09-2014, 05:04 PM
I do mine in Photoshop by adding a text layer and lowering the opacity. You can also follow those steps to make your own 'action' then you can batch process a bunch at once, however it will place it in the same spot on all, I believe. I tend to just do one at a time. :)

shimmygoddess
05-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Ok, say 'invisbile' is different than what I posted, sorry! I did find this however:

http://phlearn.com/top-secret-waterwarks

Mermaid Momo
05-09-2014, 05:13 PM
http://luniara.deviantart.com/art/Invisible-Watermark-Tutorial-197560118
there is another one, but I'm having a hard time finding it. I'll post it once I do though :)

Morticia Mermaid
05-09-2014, 05:43 PM
:) thank you

Sent by star fish

Winged Mermaid
05-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Sadly, even if you do invisible watermarks, people will just go to the page you posted on, screen cap the page, crop the screen cap to be just the image, and use the now downloaded non-watermarked image. This is especially easy on phones now. I see it happen all the time when people lift things off of sites where you can't right click or drag and drop to download, so people just work around it. Cause people suck :/

The best way I've found to do a watermark is to make a custom brush in your photo editing software. That way it's fast and easy to watermark photos. Photoshop is great of course, but Gimp is a great alternative to photoshop that's free! Here's a link for a custom brush for Gimp: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Custom_Brushes/ for Photoshop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM9RYu_xUbk

Morticia Mermaid
05-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Yeah. that's kind of why I've gone to putting my mermaid right in the middle if the picture. Kind of hard to crop it it that way

Sent by star fish

jimman
05-10-2014, 08:43 AM
If you want to it in the easy way,take a look at this software called Mass Watermark.It allows you to add text or logo watermark to a bunch of pics at a time plus you may set the resizing option.Been using it for a while. Here is a video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKviwY-4tBY

There is an option to add the EXIF info too.

Ariel-Starfish
05-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks for posting this! I never knew how to do a proper watermark anyway :') Now I can do a decent one! :D yay

Mermaid Lorelei
04-07-2015, 10:55 PM
I just tried using gimp to watermark some of my pictures, but for some reason I couldn't gimp to work on my computer. Any tips on how to get it to work on your computer?

AniaR
04-08-2015, 01:02 AM
Ipiccy is great. I can post a tutorial. Its free

Anahita
04-08-2015, 05:02 AM
I have Photoshop CS4 or something that I use to watermark everything. I actually do two watermarks, one in Farsi, one in English. Since my photoshop does something weird when I try and type in Farsi, I actually have to upload the Farsi as an image, then make the layer transparent and lower the opacity. It's a lot of extra steps, but it seems to serve its purpose. The downside is that because I forget the opacity level I use, the watermarks range from extremely faint to kind of dark and obstructive.

Mermaid Lorelei
04-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Thank you Raina.

Mermaid Momo
04-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Gimp can be iffy sometimes. I have paint dot net which is also free and you can download plugins for what you want that isn't included in it. (the newest one includes plugins already that I downloaded plugins for. Now I only have plugins for text effects like making spiral text and wave text and such)

Mermatron Athena
04-10-2015, 11:25 PM
There is a free app for making watermarks. At least I think it's free, if not free it's really cheap. I have it for my fiber art business, and the watermarks can be customized in choice of font and transparency.