PDA

View Full Version : Finis Foil

Mermaid Akiko
05-11-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm planning my tail, and the last piece I'm stuck on is my monofin. I think I would like to use a Finis Foil, for a few reasons. But I'm so confused. Do the feet pockets go in the bottom of the fluke or in the actual flipper part? How do I glue it to the neoprene to prevent air pockets and to make ventilations for water escape? Do I need to expand it with some sort of plastic if I'm using a neoprene+slip cast latex on both sides of the flipper? If so, how do I expand a weird duck shape monofin? I saw Moonflower's tutorial, but I don't think it would work on a foil? Sorry for being so clueless. Agh.

Mermaid Jaffa
05-11-2014, 11:03 PM
The monofin goes inside the fluke, the feet pockets go to the point where the end of the scales are and the starting part of the fluke.

Pretend its a part of you, and when you put on your tail, it goes over everything including the monofin.

Here is a video so you know exactly where it goes. At 0:26, the young lady puts on the monofin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJO7ch37js

ShyMer
05-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Hey there, why don't you share more information about your plans? It sounds like you're not sure what you're going to do yet. It might help us understand how to help you.
For one- I'm confused about the foot pocket thing. I'm not sure what you're asking, sorry :(

I don't think you need to add to your monofin itself unless you want to change the shape. Depending on how you do the fluke, it may not be too noticeable.
I think Mermaid Shelly (who is not making tails anymore) used silicone caulk to fill in the insides of her flukes to hide the duck shape, but this can cause problems if you're using latex, as they don't get along well.

I think the water vent thing is one of those trade secrets that people like to keep to themselves. You might try asking Jazz, who is very helpful, and see if she came up with a solution to that problem.

Mermaid Jaffa
05-11-2014, 11:16 PM
Water vents are easy. I figured that out by watching various videos on youtube.

What you want to do is, leave open channels ALONG the fluke. Don't sew or glue across the whole way on the tail and fluke, that will cause water to not move properly. Or you'll have those mermaid balloons Raina did with her other tail.

See here, like what I did on my Aloha Tail, to give a better explanation. The fluke doesn't balloon up and its a bit more sturdy in that I can lift up the fluke, and it won't flap open exposing the monofin.

The principle is the same whatever material you use. As long as you have open channels on your fluke, it won't bloat up and make it difficult to swim in.

Those little lines going across helps the monofin stay in place, inside the tail.

Just make sure to leave a hole in the middle so you can take out the monofin for cleaning or practicing without tail.

Mermaid Akiko
05-12-2014, 12:04 AM
So here's basically a really awkward design. It's almost to scale (other than the bottom flipper haha oh god) in inches to quick, general proportions I did at different height on my legs. There was a lot of layers so I just took a screenshot.
The top of the fin was just at the hem of my sweatpants, so it may not be long enough but this is just for deciding on shape. So I'm guessing this foot placement is really wrong. I want to make some edits and some advice on that would be really helpful. Thanks everyone~
Thank you, Irereho, for the ventilation, and ShyMer for the fin advice! That's really reassuring and just what I needed.

I give up
http://mernetwork.com/index/album.php?albumid=1038&attachmentid=20686

Mermaid Wesley
05-12-2014, 12:06 AM
click the picture of a tree, browse for it, then click the thing that says "upload file(s)"

Mermaid Jaffa
05-12-2014, 12:22 AM
Ah I see now. The top edge of the monofin goes to where the halfway mark of your feet are, in this picture.

So when wearing, your ankles will be touching the fabric. This will create a softer look of the mermaid cankles... Er I mean ankles.

Mermaid Akiko
05-12-2014, 04:34 AM
Oh, I see. Thank you so much!

PhaylennMurúch
05-15-2014, 12:34 AM
finis foil is on sale at zulily right now, $20 off

Kumori Kitsune
05-15-2014, 02:16 AM
finis foil is on sale at zulily right now, $20 off The fin style is kool