PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about starting an online mermaid tail business

MermaidIndie
05-15-2014, 06:13 PM
So i seem to have a slight obsession with making mermaid tails and now i've made six. i have a passion for swimming and fabric and thought instead of just making tails for myself and friends why not help other people with their mermaid dream. so i guess im just posting this to get peoples opinions on another fabric and possibly neoprene tail business starting up

lynsea
05-15-2014, 06:45 PM
My advice, make sure you know what you're getting into and create something unique. There are a fair number of tail makers out there and to stand out, you need something novel.

Rivertee
05-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Never under estimate the power of great service and good prices.

ShyMer
05-15-2014, 10:10 PM
I feel like some unique fabric choices would be a really good idea. One of the things I look for in fabric tail makers is variety of colors and patterns available. High quality spandex is important of course- some of the really cool ones don't hold up in the water for long, so obviously avoid those.
Some interesting extra fin options would be nice too.

Have you made tails for other people yet? I think making for other people (especially when you don't get to see them put it on to make sure it fits) is different than making for yourself.

Good luck!

AniaR
05-15-2014, 10:46 PM
I know there aren't many neoprene tail makers around anymore. Would be good to have more.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

MermaidIndie
05-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Good to know extra fins is something people look for, I wanted to experiment with some but wasn't sure. I think neoprene will have to wait awhile until I really know what I'm doing but I love all the great ideas! Thanks so much. Keep posting your ideas

MermaidIndie
05-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Generally how many people reading this would be possibly interested in getting a tail?

PearlieMae
05-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Lets see some of the tails you've already made!

PhaylennMurúch
05-17-2014, 07:22 PM
I'd be interested but I'd like to see what you have already made, and that you already have what you need to start production (or at least most of it)

and cost is a concern as well

ShyMer
05-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Yup we need to see your work first!

Sent from my Huawei-H867G using Tapatalk

Kishiko
05-17-2014, 07:51 PM
The last three posts lol ^^

PhaylennMurúch
05-17-2014, 08:50 PM
well in such a small community where so much money is thrown around and the seascape is peppered with scammers like that Adam (?) fellow (in no way saying that I think that Indie is a scammer) and sudden implosions like what happened with fishbutts. It is only prudent, especially for those of us who have to save up a long time for something as extravagant as a tail. I wouldn't buy anything from anyone without seeing product.

I've been planning my silicone tail for ages, it takes a long time for me to save up the money because we have 3 children and we're paying for DH to do mortuary science school. It would be absolutely devastating to put $3,000 plus into a tail and end up with nothing, kwim?

MermaidIndie
05-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Yup, I understand that. On my other thread "experimental fabric hybrid tail thing" I've been posting pictures of a tail I'm making and then I have another one I'm making for a friend and another I'm starting in a few days so over the week I'll post lots of pictures of all the tails. I have to keep saving up for my start up costs but I'm hoping maybe by the end of the summer or at least September.

Kishiko
05-19-2014, 11:43 AM
Well can we see the 6 tails you've made

AniaR
05-20-2014, 12:41 AM
I sorta read this post as more of a hypothetically speaking as opposed to you're hopping into business right now. More like gathering Intel and opinions. Is that right?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

MermaidIndie
05-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Yes, I wanted to get peoples opinions on the idea and I was hoping to get Info regarding what people looked for in a tail maker. It will probably be a good few months until I can start

Kishiko
05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
What are the six tails you said you've made though?

lollikit
05-21-2014, 01:19 AM
I'm definitely interested but I want to see the other tails first ^.^

MermaidIndie
05-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Sadly I don't have all six tails in my possesion anymore. Two went to friends and then I moved to another state so I still have a couple fabric tails and my somewhat bad attempt at a latex tail. It's a work in progress. I will have pictures up tomorrow, cause I just finished one of them! I can't wait to swim in it!

Mermaid Jaffa
05-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Personally, I want to just pay for the fabric and a little bit more for the handiwork (the sewing up of the tail and extras like fins), not $150 or more like on some websites.

MermaidIndie
05-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Thats what im going for, i want to be able to get people a tail that will last and that they'll love. My most expensive tail, the Winged tail, which is going to have pectoral fins and such is going to be $106. 35 with tax. :) oh and here is one of the tails 21036

MermaidIndie
05-22-2014, 11:40 AM
The ankles came out a bit smaller when i sewed them, but this is the first time that's happened. its probably because i measured myself without help.

MermaidIndie
05-22-2014, 11:43 AM

this is the Latex Neoprene tail i did. its the first one i've ever done and came out a little funky. im hoping to maybe attempt another in the future