PDA

View Full Version : Help! Monofin crack :(

Mermaid Aalayah
05-15-2014, 09:17 PM
I just got a monofin from Special Fins and after two swims it cracked :( I have contacted the company to see if it has warranty but if I could fix it that would be great. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/junu9ybu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/7yzajyqu.jpg does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Wesley
05-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it cracking any further, I don't know how to fix it but that should stop any further cracking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt Nemo
05-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Repair will need fiberglass, resin, and vacuum bagging. Drill a 1/8" hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading.

Mermaid Aalayah
05-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys :)

Mermaid Aalayah
05-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Do you think I could use poxy to fix it?

Mermaid Aglaia
05-18-2014, 09:11 AM
you mean epoxy? Yes, epoxy is recomended for this repair. You can use polyester too, but it smells terrible and is worse for your health than epoxy.

Step 1: Drill a hole at the end of the crack
Step 2: Sand the area near the crack and degrease it with acetone or a other proper solvent
Step 3: Apply a thin coat epoxy in an area of 1 Inch around the crack.
Step 4: Put a layer of thin glasfiber fabric on the epoxy
Step 5: Apply a second thin layer of epoxy on top the glasfiber.
Note: The glass fiber must be completely soaked with epoxy.
Note: If necessary repeat the process at the other side
Caution: Use gloves during work with resins.

AniaR
05-18-2014, 09:45 AM
I'd wait to hear back from the company. if you try to repair it may void the warranty and they wont exchange it. Most monofins have 6 month- a year warranty factory default.

ShyMer
05-18-2014, 05:09 PM
It looks to me like the monofin is cut onto a fin shape. Wouldn't that void the warranty before any repairs were made? Still, it wouldn't hurt to contact them anyway, especially since it cracked in a strange place.

Sent from my Huawei-H867G using Tapatalk

Mermaid Aalayah
06-18-2014, 12:10 PM
This is a late reply but I drilled a hole at the bottom of the crack and put epoxy on it, I emailed the company but they didn't reply with how to fix it or if its under warranty so I just went a head and fixed it my self.
Thanks for the help guys :)

Mermaid Sabie
01-05-2015, 11:52 AM
I have the exact same fin and it cracked EXACTLY the same way after 2 swims! I believe Specialfins has gone out of business since they do not respond to any emails or FB messages like they have before.

:( Sad because I purposely asked if it had warranty because I knew fins this shape have cracking issues :(

Mermaid Aalayah how did the repair hold up? Would you be willing to post a pic of how it looks now so I can see? I'm going to go ahead and fix mine myself as well

Mermaid Sabie
01-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Wow! Karmo from Special Fins JUST emailed me back! He said that he had been ill and that he will repair or send me a new monofin! Trying not to be too excited in case he doesn't email me back again, but it's happy news for me!!

Mermaid Sabie
01-06-2015, 03:42 PM

Maethor
01-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Wow! Karmo from Special Fins JUST emailed me back! He said that he had been ill and that he will repair or send me a new monofin! Trying not to be too excited in case he doesn't email me back again, but it's happy news for me!!
So they are still in business? I emailed them a week or two agi but never got a response. Hopefully soon then!

Mermaid Sabie
01-07-2015, 02:36 AM
Maethor I wouldn't hold my breath..... My monofin cracked in JULY and I have been emailing them excessively ever since... I messaged them on FB and they said someone would get back to me- that was the end of October, this is them getting back to me TODAY

They aren't good with communicating in general I've learned now. Even when I was contacting them about buying it took them a few weeks to respond. Then after I had paid I didn't hear ANYTHING for 2 months.... I was beginning to panic when my monofin just showed up. I had been starting to think I had been scammed or something! It was awesome when I got it, I think that if I hadn't had them modify the fluke it wouldn't have cracked...

Moral of story if you haven't paid for anything from them yet, save yourself the worry.

Maethor
01-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Yikes... that's not good. Thank you for the information! I hope you get your monofin fixed without much more hassle!

Mermaid Sabie
05-05-2015, 12:03 AM
Sooo update! They sent me a new monofin for FREE! And I got to keep my cracked one, hopefully I can get it fixed :)
Keeping in mind my fin broke in July 2014 and I just got a replacement today May 4 2015....
My constant emailing never got any responses until the end of April when they let me know a tracking number, they had shipped it 2 weeks ago (it takes about 3-4 weeks shipping from Estonia to Canada) So I didn't really know what they had sent me, I asked for one that wasn't cut into the mermaid shape. They didn't confirm what they had sent but it was exactly what I asked!
Moral of the story: I think they're good people, honest but REALLY bad communicators and slow..... not really going to recommend them I think