PDA

View Full Version : Adult size Mahina MerFins are out!! Urban Outfitters website!

Naiad Rose
05-21-2014, 05:52 PM
The "new Adult sizes" for the Mahina MerFins (used to be Oceanika MerFins) are out!!!

They are the sizes that Urban Outfitters is carrying for the US. Turquoise or Orange (I guess no Coral in adult sizes?)

I ordered a Medium Orange, it claims size 8.5 to 10.5, so that _should_ work for me. I'm nervous, sizes are often off.. But the Urban Outfitters website says free shipping (over $50) and free returns/exchanges.

The fins are $100. So yay, better than $80 + $65 shipping from Australia. :)

OMGS, they're finally out! :D

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=32230062

MerEmma
05-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Exciting, but disappointed they're on urban outfitters...they're a shitty company. You can find dozens of articles on why they're so shitty. ( http://jezebel.com/5875181/whats-wrong-with-urban-outfitters , http://theweek.com/article/index/220370/racist-navajo-attire-and-7-other-urban-outfitters-controversies , http://s3-ak.buzzfeed.com/static/enhanced/terminal01/2011/6/14/12/enhanced-buzz-14143-1308067832-4.jpg , http://cabell.tumblr.com/post/20847337459/fuck-urban-outfitters-it-pains-me-to-say-this , http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/26/urban-outfitters-steal_n_867604.html )

So yeah, with that said, I hope they're released for purchase elsewhere soon.

Naiad Rose
05-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Aww. :(

I don't think they'll be released anywhere else in the US.
Mahina's MerFins were supposed to be released for sale in the US by the summer of 2013, but whoever it was fell through. No store name was ever announced, so we don't know who dropped it, but the announcement that they'd be for sale here by summer 2013 came after the fall 2012 toy fair in the US. It was terribly disappointing when the whole thing was called off. :/
It doesn't sound like anything else has been interested in selling them here for her.

Maybe people could write letters to stores that they want to purchase them at, and convince some new places to carry them?

Fifi Tigg
05-21-2014, 09:10 PM
:yay:Just ordered mine! It will be for a tail makeover :D

Mermaid Jaffa
05-21-2014, 11:45 PM
:yay:Just ordered mine! It will be for a tail makeover :D

Where?? Its not on their website!

Is it just me or is the new size just for the foot pockets? The MerFin looks the same size as the kids one.

Fifi Tigg
05-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Where?? Its not on their website!

Is it just me or is the new size just for the foot pockets? The MerFin looks the same size as the kids one.

I ordered through http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=32230062 express shipping to Australia is only $12!!!!!

Mermaid Jaffa
05-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Oh them... I was hoping for red MerFins... Cos you know, red will make you go faster!

Why they put out similar kids colors? Why??

Echidna
05-22-2014, 06:48 AM
Any idea whether they also have a store in Europe?

Winged Mermaid
05-22-2014, 09:09 PM
Soooo tempted to get one for a neoprene tail...
:money:

Mermaid Wesley
05-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Ugh me too. I'm not a huge fan of the shape, though. If I liked the shape more I would buy it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fifi Tigg
05-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Ugh me too. I'm not a huge fan of the shape, though. If I liked the shape more I would buy it now.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1609786_10152922399364119_7906006994729281551_n.jp gYou can cut them if you don't like the shape ;)

Mermaid Aubrie
05-22-2014, 10:31 PM
I love my Mahina MerFin, they are the best ever!!! Every mermaid needs at least one to play :)

Blondie
05-23-2014, 12:08 AM
How did Urban Outfitters get their hands on Mahina MerFins? :thinks:

I mean I think it's GREAT they're being sold by an extremely well known company, I just wonder how it all happened!

Mermaid Jaffa
05-23-2014, 01:06 AM
And why is the first release only in the US? I'm still waiting for them here...

Mermaid Jessica Pearl
05-23-2014, 05:03 AM
I'm still traumatised from all of the scars on my feet from mine! I didn't like the shape either so i cut mine down too. Tempted to get another for play but I think I will stick with my Wave for now. Does anyone know if the fluke is about the same size as the smaller one. Or is it a bit bigger since it is now adult sized.

Fifi Tigg
05-23-2014, 06:28 AM
I'm still traumatised from all of the scars on my feet from mine! I didn't like the shape either so i cut mine down too. Tempted to get another for play but I think I will stick with my Wave for now. Does anyone know if the fluke is about the same size as the smaller one. Or is it a bit bigger since it is now adult sized.
That's what I'm wondering too? I will let you know in about a week when it arrives :)

Cordelia
05-23-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm so excited! My sister loved the shape of these. Now, I think I'll finally be able to get her into a tail!

Aziara
05-24-2014, 07:25 PM
I still wanna know when they're going to make the orca fin shape.... :eye twitch: I love the flow of the merfin, I just don't like how unrealistic the shape is. And I don't think cutting it down would help me either, I like my fin edges to turn in instead of out.

Fifi Tigg
05-25-2014, 11:39 PM
I asked if the adult fins are going to be larger and it's a yes :)

Mermaid Jessica Pearl
05-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Ooh good to know thanks fifi.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Galene
05-26-2014, 10:02 AM
I wonder what they mean by "will be." They 're sellng the adult fins now, so does that mean those are larger, or they're planning to make the next batch they manufacture larger? Hmm.

Rivertee
05-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Well my friend has decided to buy our small pod in Jacksonville the fins so here in a few weeks I can let you mers know what's up.

Naiad Rose
05-27-2014, 01:06 PM
Hm, I wonder what they mean by "comparatively larger". I thought the largest (size 7-8-ish) was already almost as big as a Finis Competitor? But maybe not. The only photo I saw was of a MerFin on top of an unnamed fin that looked similar to a Competitor.

Anyway, mine's supposed to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm _so_ nervous about the fit...... o_O

I also do not like the shape, I'm not a fan of the ends sticking outward, and I was planning to try out cutting it. But I'm excited to have a softer fin than the Competitor for practicing in odd places, or lugging around without worrying about breaking. :)

Perhaps my heels are strangely un-curved, but it's nearly impossible to keep an adjustable-strap fin on my feet. The straps always drop down my heels & it comes off.
In order to use my Rapid, I had to use hard-bottomed swim socks where the bottom coating stuck out off the back of the heel a little bit, and could like catch the straps.
I'm going to have to sell my cut Rapid at some point, I hope somebody will want it.

The Competitor's foot pockets worked great for me. I hope the MerFin footpockets will work well for me. :)

MerEmma
05-27-2014, 01:37 PM
http://mernetwork.com/index/attachment.php?attachmentid=3266
DoubleOSix's photo. The children's large MerFin is already huge, I don't see how much bigger they could make it without it being impossible to maneuver in. :/

Naiad Rose
05-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Yes, that's the photo I'd seen. Does DoubleOSix have a Facebook page or blog anything?

Maybe "comparatively larger" doesn't actually mean it'll be much larger at all? o_O

Blondie
05-27-2014, 08:07 PM
DoubleOSix's photo. The children's large MerFin is already huge, I don't see how much bigger they could make it without it being impossible to maneuver in. :/

I think it's just the foot pockets! They can accommodate wider and more adult like feet. (But I'm just guessing)

Kamanaka
05-28-2014, 04:36 PM
I love these, im so tempted even with postage to the uk being $30!! Will be interested to see the size when everyone gets theirs!

Naiad Rose
05-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Disaster! OMGS, I could so cry right now. :(

The Orange MerFin arrived today, 7 days from my order on the day they were announced.

I ordered a size Medium, because it's for US 8.5 - 10.5, and I wear a size 9 in sandals and a size 10 in sneakers & boots. So it _should_ have fit. I was surprised that the heel straps were much too loose. My feet lift right out of it merely trying it on, so I know it would not stay on in the water. :( A size Small is supposed to be for US size 6 - 8, and a size 8 _should_ be too small for me. But I'll have to get it.
So, these do seem quite off in the sizing.

Returns and Exchanges are free, but when I went to look at the website for the part number to put on the Exchange form, I saw that the Orange is SOLD OUT in all sizes. Only 7 days after Mahina announced they were listed! (The Turquoise is sold out in M & L).

If they don't have one, then I can't get my exchange, they'll just refund. And now I have no idea WHEN I can get one. :(
I've been wanting a MerFin for at least 1 year at this point (and I even dreamed of having Orange when Coral was the only choice other than Turquoise). :/ I totally have it in my hands at last, and I can't keep it. Not knowing when they'll get any more so I can have an Orange Small is like, killing me now. D:

Oh, and other than that, I think they're not much bigger than the large of the original sizes. I put it on top of my Competitor, and it looks pretty much the same as the photo posted above.

Mermaid Wesley
05-28-2014, 08:53 PM
What woud you think about booties to make the foot pockets fit better or little sponge bits in the toes to make it fit better

Naiad Rose
05-28-2014, 09:42 PM
I do use 3mm neoprene fin socks. This was so bad though, it would likely take a few inches of hard foam in the toes to make it tight enough. An exchange for the next one down should be the safest way to go. It's just incredibly upsetting / depressing that they're all sold out and I might have to wait a really long time all over again. :(

Winged Mermaid
05-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Really sorry to hear that Rose :( Maybe you can email them or Mahina and ask when the next batch will be in stock?

Winged Mermaid
05-28-2014, 11:37 PM
I got one! I've been wanting to get one for years, but was saving up for my Merbella Studios tail constantly so I never did. But now that it's nearly a year after I've gotten it, I actually have the funds to get one haha :P I'd been thinking and thinking and thinking about this fin ever since the adult sizes were announced, and today I knew I just had to :) There's an event that I'll be doing that does not allow silicone tails, so this is he perfect thing to make a new fabric or neoprene tail with ^_^ I've had some neoprene stashed away for like 3+ years and was waiting to get a new monofin so I could make a new tail. So yeah this is just perfect! So excited

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llrof6x9uv1qh3buk.gif

MerEmma
05-29-2014, 07:16 AM
What kind event doesn't allow silicone tails? :P

Winged Mermaid
05-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Una's traveling lagoon does different events in the Pacific Northwest, and she has a policy that you can only wear fabric tails. First posts I saw about it was becuase it was unfair to the mers who couldn't afford them (which.. honestly I kind of have to disagree.. it's not really "unfair" that I scrimped and saved every day for 4+ years to afford mine.. but *shrug*), but her later posted policy says that it's for safety reasons (lost on me? She must have heard bad things about silicone tails?) and also for aesthetics so all the mermaids look the same. I've wanted to go to FaerieWorlds for 10 years now, and being a mermaid there is a way for me to go and have a blast with other mers, so I can deal with it! Not the best policy IMO, but she has her reasons and I'll respect that. Like I said, I've always wanted to make a tail with a merfin anyway, this just gives me an excuse ;)

Naiad Rose
05-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks Iona. I'm waiting to hear back from Urban Outfitters about my exchange, but now that I think of it, I emailed them to ask when the MerFins were going to be available back when it was first announced that the sale plan was arranged, and they never answered. Their Customer Service might be quite terrible.. :(

I have the return label and exchange form that came with it, so that should at least work, but it would be nice to hear from them. Maybe Mahina will know when more are going out.

I'm fairly nervous that the Small will feel too narrow, but I don't feel confident that trying to stuff the toes of the Medium with foam would work well (or safely) with the apparent size difference.
Now I kind of wish that I'd ordered both with a plan to just return whichever one didn't fit more.. :/

That is interesting about your event. At first I was really surprised when you mentioned a policy against silicone tails, seems like any event that wanted a mermaid would be thrilled to have one with a realistic silicone tail. But I can kind of see where their thinking is, in wanting a group of mermaids to look similar. Maybe kids would feel like the silicone tails were real and the fabric ones weren't? I don't know about how similar the tails would look though, there's a huge range of designs people could do with fabric tails.

In better news, I got around an out-of-stock problem with some swim fabric I wanted for fins that's been an issue for about a year. I now should have enough fabric collected for both of my tail plans. I just need to figure out where to get some plastic corset boning that I want to use for fin spikes. I was hoping that I could make the fluke fin fabric fit over both the competitor and the MerFin so that I could swap them depending on where I was going to be / what exposed to. Would be nice if that works out ok at some point. :)

PearlieMae
05-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Plastic boning: http://corsetmaking.com/category/plastic-boning.html

Naiad Rose
05-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Awesome, thanks! :)

Does anybody know what a "curved channel" is? (it's mentioned at the top where is says the boning cannot be sewn into one. http://corsetmaking.com/category/plastic-boning.html) o_O

PearlieMae
05-29-2014, 01:12 PM
That would be like sewing it into an S-curve. The boning flexes back and forth, but not to the side.

I've also read that some use plastic wire ties as boning, too.

Kamanaka
06-02-2014, 03:03 AM
Naiad Rose thanks to you I have ordered a small merfin in blue, was going to go for a medium but I'm a size 8.5 and don't want it falling off my feet! As I'm in the UK I wouldn't have been able to have returned it either! Very excited to get mine! Not sure if you have seen but all sizes in both colours are now available for pre order sayjng stock due June 26th.

Winged Mermaid
06-02-2014, 04:01 AM
I just saw that! Yay, this means you can get another, and decently soon Naiad Rose :)

Naiad Rose
06-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Awesome, thanks, I hadn't seen that yet. :) So, it'll be a while, but not as bad as it could be. :)

As an experiment, I tried stuffing the toes with socks, it took up about 1.25" of space. It helped, but the heel straps were still loose. It's like, the inside of the foot pocket feels tight but the heel end is a little too wide. Maybe stuffing another inch or two would help even more, but the strap looseness is really throwing me off, and I know from other fins that the water will help even something that feels tight slip off.
I'm still worried about how tight the Small will feel. (But I still think it would be safer to try than stuffing the Medium.) I expect that I might have to trim away some of the top, like people have done with the size Large of the previous "child" sizes. I just hope it's nothing worse than that.

Seems so odd, after asking people about their experience with the Large ("up to US 8") of the previous size set, and even people who wear size 8 thought it was too small, I actually thought that if I had sizing problems it would involve having to go a size up.

Kamanaka, I hope your fin size works out correctly. :)

(Third attempt to edit out weird stuff. I'm on Safari right now. It seems to be acting insane.)

WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

Cordelia
06-02-2014, 11:44 PM
This is good to know. I was thinking about ordering one for my sister. I might just get the small adult size, and see how that fits us. I figure, if it's too small for her, I can wear it. But, honestly, my feet are little. I'd probably have to get the children's size fin! :P

Winged Mermaid
06-03-2014, 02:16 AM
I wear a 6.5 so I'm wondering how the fit will be for me.. I usually wear neoprene socks with my fins though (my competitor fin is waaaaaay too big for me so i wear 2 pairs of 2mm socks). I'll let you guys know when I get it in a few days :)

Mermaid Jaffa
06-03-2014, 05:07 AM
Maybe you can cram in a pair of neoprene booties that they use for walking on sand and underwater. That might help with the extra foot sizes you have.

Kamanaka
06-03-2014, 05:27 AM
Sounds very strange sizing issues, I hope mine fits I have quite narrow feet. My finis foil is a m and I keep losing that in the water!

Winged Mermaid
06-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Got mine today! Sadly I can't swim in it yet... a week ago I was venturing around Seattle with Mermaid Cyanea and turns out I bruised my foot really deep (massage therapist I know said the bruise is right on top of the bone, super deep) and just putting it on hurt :/ It's loose on me but not nearly as lose as my competitor- I think 1 pair of neoprene socks will do the trick!

Fifi Tigg
06-03-2014, 10:29 PM
And turn the fin over to the right side or it will dig in!

Winged Mermaid
06-03-2014, 10:56 PM
I didn't even realize that was the back side... I feel dumb :P haha

Fifi Tigg
06-05-2014, 02:54 AM
The tail finally arrived and I purchased the medium fin and I would say it would fit up to an adults size 8.5 or 9 Australian shoe size.
The overall size of the fin is the exact same size as the large kids fin :)

Echidna
06-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Regarding shoe sizes, I'm clueless.
I usually have to try them on, and I fit into quite different sizes without being able to discern what the difference is.
Doesn't help that each country has their own sizes :p

I have a European size 40, which is a UK 7, an Australian 7.5/8, and a US 9.

so which size should I take if I order an adult Merfin, small or medium?...

Naiad Rose
06-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Ok, I'm completely baffled by all the sizing. o_O

The Medium 'new adult' size is really the same as the Large from the previous [children] size range??

My foot length is exactly the in/cm length on Mahina's website for the previous sizes Large, which is why I asked for advice/experiences on it before. Some people who wear a US size 8-9 said it was fine, but the majority (even exactly size 8s) seemed to say it was way too small.
I do wear a US size 9, it's the only size sandal that will stay on, but due to my feet being a bit wide, and long middle toes, I most often wear a 10 in sneakers & boots (I even have a couple odd ones marked 11, but I think that's 'cause they got the country size conversions a little wrong). With people size 8 saying the old Large was too small, I figured I'd need something larger.

I didn't think to check the length of the foot pocket on the Medium adult fin before I sent it back, to compare with the lengths given on Mahina's site for the previous fins. That might have been useful.

Seems like the Medium should have fit, but the heel straps would not stay on me, and I could cram a couple inches of sock into the toes. I won't know what the Small is like until Urban Outfitters gets more in and sends it. :/

Wow, this is so confusing. :/

Arie
06-09-2014, 02:52 PM
I know there is a shop here in Halifax Nova Scotia Canada called Hali Kids that sells the fins!
I freaked when I seen them!
However it's just up to size 7, but they will carry the adult sizes if these ones do sell out.
the price was around $120 I believe.
However I may also check the urban outfitters to see if the price is cheaper with shipping, but I do like to support more local shops :)

Arie
06-10-2014, 02:00 PM
I went to try on the fin today (child's 7-8) and I discovered that my toe goes right to the end, but the ankle is a bit big. However I do have aqua slippers, just worried my toes could get squished.
The 6-7 fits in the ankle perfectly, but is very close with the toes and I'm quite worried that could be some pain.

Does anyone find that the fin stretches out more when in water? If so which way would you say? Width around the ankle or length?

TaurielTheElementMerfairy
06-10-2014, 03:07 PM
​I have been waiting for the merfin to be announced in adult sizes ever since I heard that it was going to be announced so I could try to have someone make me a fabric tail with the turquoise merfin and mine would have all of my add on fins to match my favorite element of water and my colors are dark and light blue and I'm a size 8 1/2 in adult size in Us.
The only thing is I don't have a sewing machine and I don't know how to sew so I don't know what mer could make it for me to match my drawing once I get it all traced out again so I can add all of my add on fins to the drawing.
If you can help me make the tail once I know how much money to save the money up for the turquoise merfin spandex fabric in both of my colors and anything else that I would need to make it.
So please let me know everything that I would need to get as a list so I can find a merfriend who could make it for me like how I said above.
If you wanna chat about my idea above I'm always in the mood to chat about mer stuff on Facebook and you can pm me anytime about it under my Facebook name Rebekah Leigh so you can pm me when ever you can and I hope to hear from you all soon as you all can.
:D :) :D :) :D :)

Raayvhen
06-25-2014, 08:14 PM
I ordered the M in teal. The way I measured is using japanese shoe sizing. Basically you measure your foot length in CM and then compared it to the foot pocket.

Anywhoo, its due to be here tomorrow. I was very pleasantly surprised since I didn't expect it to ship until the 9th.

Naiad Rose
06-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Raayvhen, how did you order the M based on the CM length measurement of your feet?

The Urban Outfitters site only seems to say "- Small: Women's US 6-8
- Medium: Women's US 8.5-10.5
- Large: Women's US 10.5-12.5"

Or did you order from Mahina's website from Australia? As far as I can tell, her site is still only selling the older non-Adult sizes in Teal and Coral. Although now that I'm checking it, I think her Size Chart has changed because it now shows some sizes marked "Adult". Did you just use this chart to see which one to order from Urban Outfitters? There seems to be only about one CM difference in length from the Adult Small to the Adult Medium, that's not much.

Given the US shoe sizes listed, with only 1 CM difference in the footpocket length, I don't think this chart would have made ordering any easier for me. :/ I'm still worried about the fit of the small, but this seems to indicate that the small might go well for me. I hope it's going out soon.

:)

Raayvhen
06-25-2014, 10:36 PM
I used Mahina's sizing chart.

So you have to convert to inches. I'll give you my calculations to clear it up:
24.5 cm foot length=9.64 inch foot length
Small only goes up to 9.52 inches, the Medium goes up to 10 inches. So though I'm closer to the S, I felt more comfortable sizing up.

Hopefully that made it more clear. And for further info, I'm normally a US Womens 8 when it comes to shoes.

Arie
06-26-2014, 09:14 AM
One thing I will put out there is that the first fin I bought actually had air pockets in it that popped and created holes. Luckily I bought mine at a shop, so I was able to just exchange it.
However there was quite a few in their stock that had at least one little bubble or scrape (the scrapes might not be from shipping but from the store).
It's probably just this order at the store that the bubbles, but make sure to check. I found one without them and I'm super excited to try it out!

MermaidStormy
06-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Sooo happy it's finally available been waiting sooo long :D

SINicallyTwisted
06-26-2014, 10:27 AM
I just recently had someone tell me about this and I completely forgot about it until I saw this post! Thanks for the reminder! I'm thinking about getting one and thanks to Fifi's post, I now know that it can be cut and altered into a shape that I would like better!

MermaidBrandie
06-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Disaster! OMGS, I could so cry right now. :(

The Orange MerFin arrived today, 7 days from my order on the day they were announced.

I ordered a size Medium, because it's for US 8.5 - 10.5, and I wear a size 9 in sandals and a size 10 in sneakers & boots. So it _should_ have fit. I was surprised that the heel straps were much too loose. My feet lift right out of it merely trying it on, so I know it would not stay on in the water. :( A size Small is supposed to be for US size 6 - 8, and a size 8 _should_ be too small for me. But I'll have to get it.
So, these do seem quite off in the sizing.

Returns and Exchanges are free, but when I went to look at the website for the part number to put on the Exchange form, I saw that the Orange is SOLD OUT in all sizes. Only 7 days after Mahina announced they were listed! (The Turquoise is sold out in M & L).

If they don't have one, then I can't get my exchange, they'll just refund. And now I have no idea WHEN I can get one. :(
I've been wanting a MerFin for at least 1 year at this point (and I even dreamed of having Orange when Coral was the only choice other than Turquoise). :/ I totally have it in my hands at last, and I can't keep it. Not knowing when they'll get any more so I can have an Orange Small is like, killing me now. D:

Oh, and other than that, I think they're not much bigger than the large of the original sizes. I put it on top of my Competitor, and it looks pretty much the same as the photo posted above.
Get swim socks, in neoprene. I WISH my merfin was a bit big. Mine fits snugly and for sure stays on, but I have scars from the straps because of it. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I would buy another one with no hesitation). Just get some swim socks, you'll be fine and comfy.

Raayvhen
06-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Ugh, so frustrated right now. So the urban outfitters tracking says my fins should be here today or tomorrow. Now I'm looking at the OnTrac website and it says they haven't even received the package to ship!

SINicallyTwisted
06-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Completely forgot to post this yesterday. After talking it over with hubby, we decided to order one and see what we can do with it. When I was at work I received a notice saying that my order was confirmed and it had a tracking number. I just checked the number and it said estimated delivery date is set for July 7th. I wish it was sooner since I have an appearance on the 6th but what can ya do. Now we're trying to decide how we should go about altering it. ;)

Raayvhen
06-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Its HERE!

And its glorious. I'm so happy with it. I don't think I'll get to swim with it for a few days so here's pictures in the mean time. Again, I got the Adult M.

Also, the box was gigantic. This is the box laying on my full size bed.

SINicallyTwisted
06-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Holy carp! That's the size of the box? Oh my stars and garters!

Raayvhen
06-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Holy carp is right! It got delivered to my neighbor. Poor guy had to walk up our 200ft driveway with it. It had to go sideways through doors.

SINicallyTwisted
06-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Awwww that was nice if him to do and oh my that's a long driveway!

Sideways through doors? Oh dear. It should be interesting when I get mine. I live in an apartment building with several security doors.

Is it really heavy?

Raayvhen
06-27-2014, 08:28 PM
It wasn't too bad. Maybe 10 or 15 pounds.

SINicallyTwisted
06-27-2014, 08:35 PM
That's not too bad. Now I kind of know what to expect when mine gets here. Thank you! :)

Enjoy your Mahina!

*waits patiently for mine*

Raayvhen
06-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Went for my first swim with my fin today! There was camp going on at the pool so there were tons of little kids who loved it as well. <3 I'm thinking I need neoprene socks because the tops of my feet are a bit red. Otherwise I really enjoyed swimming with it.

Naiad Rose
06-30-2014, 10:54 PM
The Small MerFin arrived today! :D

It is a tighter fit, and tighter around the ankles. I think it might stay on. I can lift my heels out of it if I really try to, but I'm not sure yet if that means the water will be able to slip it away from me or not. I hope not. I'm hoping I can try it out this week.

I'm wondering if the construction is ok. The top of the footpockets seems much thinner and stretchier than it was on the Medium I returned. I can move my toes under it and see them poking up and moving around. o_O I dunno, maybe it's fine/normal.

After having it on for several minutes though, the tops became quite painful. I remember reading from others who had purchased the Large of the 'child' sizes (supposed to be up to US 8) that some of them had trimmed the tops open more. Does anyone know who did that and how? I'd like to know how to determine how much could be trimmed for comfort without making it too loose or something, you know?

Fifi Tigg
06-30-2014, 11:34 PM
I have trimmed some of mine, I used scissors to cut and just cut a small sliver at a time ;)

Mermaid Leira
07-01-2014, 12:39 AM
I live in Aus and just recieved mine :) Trying it out tonight! it's pretty big but very light, feels comfortable, I have a small foor ladies AUS 6 euro 36-37 and the small suprisingly seems to fit ok, I thought I may need the kids one, I will get some swim socks for comfort or wear my dive booties with it anyway, has anyone tested theirs in the water?

SINicallyTwisted
07-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Is the tips of the fins difficult to cut? Looking at Raayvhen's pics, it looks a bit thick on the sides for scissors to cut. We were thinking of trimming down the fins so that it doesn't go outwards, so I'm just wondering if we need to go get better tools for that part.

Fifi Tigg
07-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Here's a video of the Mahina fins in action, they flow great in the water, they do pinch a bit but neoprene booties fix that. I love these fins and own six of them in many different tails that I lend out with my Busselton Mermaids photography.
http://youtu.be/9vkWYhkrb_0

SINicallyTwisted
07-01-2014, 10:53 AM
:thumbs up: Love that song! :dance:

Fifi Tigg
07-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Fifi Tigg
07-01-2014, 11:16 AM
These are three different shapes I've done so far, so much fun designing your own shape and I'm sure there will be many more ;)
ive used very sharp scissors and also a sharp little steak knife to cut and shape these.
i draw on the fluke with a marker first and then cut :)

SINicallyTwisted
07-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks! Those look pretty groovy cool! Love the designs. Good to know that we don't need like a freakin' handsaw or something of that nature. LOL Did you have to sand down any edges or sharp areas?

Aziara
07-01-2014, 11:32 AM
I love the look of the cut down Merfin. I've always loved the flow of the monofin, but the way the outside edge flicks out has always bugged me as being unrealistic. But cut one down... And suddenly it's perfect. I might have to get one one day. I can't figure out the sizing though. I usually wear women's 9 W, but my foot is exactly 10 inches long, which is supposed to be the biggest kid's fin....?? I also usually wear a women's size 6-8 in flippers, because I like them to be tight and not slip. Any suggestions?

Fifi Tigg
07-01-2014, 11:33 AM
I just used both the knife and scissors to round off the edges ;)

SINicallyTwisted
07-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Sweet! Thank you for the info! I just checked the tracking number for mine and it says it's in Hodgkins, IL as of 8:04am this morning. Can't wait for it to get here so we can work on it.

Odette
07-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Yeah, those are pretty awesome. I think I want one now, but there is no time for a new fin like that. I already started two new tail designs. No time no money:confused:

Naiad Rose
07-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Aziara, I wear a US 9 in sandals, and my feet are a bit wide and I most often need a 10 in sneakers & boots (sometimes 9.5 but usually 10). But my foot length is 9.5 inches, which was described as the Kids Large on Mahina's site. I ordered the Adult Medium MerFin based on the shoe range listed, but had to return it to exchange for the Adult Small, which seems to be the same size as the Kids Large. It's a much better fit, the Medium would have fallen off. Hope this info could help.

Mermaid Lily_Pad
07-01-2014, 10:14 PM
I love the third one, but think I would be petrified to cut it.

Fifi Tigg
07-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Just make sure to draw the design on your tail and be completely happy with it before you cut ;)

Aziara
07-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Aziara, I wear a US 9 in sandals, and my feet are a bit wide and I most often need a 10 in sneakers & boots (sometimes 9.5 but usually 10). But my foot length is 9.5 inches, which was described as the Kids Large on Mahina's site. I ordered the Adult Medium MerFin based on the shoe range listed, but had to return it to exchange for the Adult Small, which seems to be the same size as the Kids Large. It's a much better fit, the Medium would have fallen off. Hope this info could help.
Thanks, this was helpful!

Raayvhen
07-04-2014, 12:11 PM
That's odd because I'm a size 8 and the adult medium fits wonderfully.

mermaidgirl7
07-04-2014, 12:58 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1609786_10152922399364119_7906006994729281551_n.jp gYou can cut them if you don't like the shape ;)

Is that your tail Fifi? Its beautiful

Fifi Tigg
07-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Is that your tail Fifi? Its beautiful
Yes I revamped an old MermaidsRUs tail with a new styled Mahina monofin, but I haven't actually swam in these yet because I let other people experience the joy of being a mermaid :) xx

SINicallyTwisted
07-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Yay! Mine is finally here! I can't wait to start working on this! :yay:

Grey Gambit
07-08-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm kind of interested to hear more about what people think of this fin. It's one of the ones I've been eying.

Naiad Rose
07-10-2014, 12:44 PM
The Adult size Small worked for me. :) So far at least, in a pool.

But I had to cut open the toe ends more so my toes could poke out some, and I trimmed a little off the top front of the footpockets. The footpockets are tight, but the heel straps still feel insecure. But it was tough to get on, and it didn't fall off in the pool. With the awkward insecure feeling of the heel straps, I'm wondering if ocean waves would be able to steal it from me or not.
I was using 3mm fin socks.
I tried once to put my feet in it without fin socks, but it would have come off that way.

It is a _lot_ softer in the water than any of my Finis monofins. It moved very differently from them, felt a lot more flowy. It didn't feel as strong in the water with how much it flows, but it wasn't a problem, just different.

I trimmed the edges a bit. I didn't want to loose too much of the surface area, so I didn't trim it in to a totally new shape, just cut off the stuck-out ends a bit and narrowed down the flower-petal edges.

So far so good. :)

Naiad Rose
07-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah, and the ankles are forced a lot closer together than on any of the Finis monofins. It felt a bit awkward. Not too bad, but awkward. And I think that makes it a little tougher to get into as well.

mermaidgirl7
07-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Yes I revamped an old MermaidsRUs tail with a new styled Mahina monofin, but I haven't actually swam in these yet because I let other people experience the joy of being a mermaid :) xx

I love how the fin isn't covered by the material of the fabric. I hate when the fabric (Latex, silicone etc) Covers the fin. I don't know why but it does. I would make a tail like yours.

Fifi Tigg
07-18-2014, 02:52 PM
I love how the fin isn't covered by the material of the fabric. I hate when the fabric (Latex, silicone etc) Covers the fin. I don't know why but it does. I would make a tail like yours.

Thank you mermaidgirl7 :mermaid kiss:

Kiule Moana
07-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Hey guys, I just received the adult Mahina Merfin (Sunset Orange, size S USA 5 - 7) & thought it would be helpful to post images comparing it to my kids Oceanika Merfin (Aqua Marine, size L USA 4 - 6). :p

The adult Merfin's foot pockets are a bit larger than the kids foot pockets on the Oceanika.

On the Mahina Merfin, Mahina's kiss is located on the underside of the fin's right tip, compared to on the underside of the foot pockets on the Oceanika.

I'd recommend foot size USA 6 1/2 to fit the Mahina Merfin comfortably. The adult Merfin's foot pockets didn't get much wider than the kids fin, but are instead longer. The Mahina Merfin is also heavier, as to be expected, than the Oceanika fin.

I'm so excited to get into the water w/ my fin! Hope this was a bit helpful :).

Kiule​

Little_Orca
07-29-2014, 11:55 PM
I ordered one as well. I was considering it for a new tail for when I am in Una's Fanta-Sea cove and my purple tail is a littttttle big. Iona had one for her tail and I was in love with how floppy it was. I am now trying to work out a design for it as I wait for it to come in the mail, which the tracking number says should be tomorrow or Thursday. Idealy, I would love a new tail with this fin before I do the Oregon Ren Fair (which I -might- do depending on a few factors.)

spottedcatfish
07-30-2014, 03:31 AM
I may consider this fin for a future project!

Mermaid Saoirse
07-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Hoping on ordering this fin soon for a Neoprene tail project I have planned! It's twice as big as the fins I have rigged together to act as a monofin though; which means I'll need to train quite a bit to get used to the size. I'm halfway to having the money for it, which is really exciting :D

Raayvhen
07-30-2014, 11:31 AM
@Sao, it takes very little getting used to. It was my first monofin and I immediately felt like a natural.

Little_Orca
07-31-2014, 03:29 AM
Got my fin tonight. I can tell I will need to wear neoprene socks with it. I did order it half a size larger so that I would be able to wear the socks and avoid blisters. One thing that annoyed me was that there was no "This side up" so the fin came to me with bent fluke edges. :mad: It is currently sitting with a lot of books on the edges of the fins to flatten them out.

Winged Mermaid
07-31-2014, 03:38 AM
Got my fin tonight. I can tell I will need to wear neoprene socks with it. I did order it half a size larger so that I would be able to wear the socks and avoid blisters. One thing that annoyed me was that there was no "This side up" so the fin came to me with bent fluke edges. :mad: It is currently sitting with a lot of books on the edges of the fins to flatten them out.

Yay! Yeah, the fluke edges will bend, but the bends come out if you bend them the opposite direction. They get bent when I put them in my tail bag (old finis rapid bag with a handle). I also put mine on backwards the first time :P The pretty side goes up! :) I like how the ridges on top can actually be seen through fabric- it actually makes it look more realistic IMO, since they're pretty and curved.

Mermaid Saoirse
08-01-2014, 11:47 AM
@Sao, it takes very little getting used to. It was my first monofin and I immediately felt like a natural.

Thanks for the assurance that I'll be able to get used to it.
I just ordered my monofin a few minutes ago! My boss convinced me to opt for 2-day shipping so I should have it very soon (of course he covered the extra shipping cost so the joke's on him ahaha) I ordered a small because I have really tiny feet, I can even fit in a Youth 3 depending on the brand of shoe!

Mermaid Leira
08-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Has anyone integrated mahina when making a silicone tail?

Mermaid Saoirse
08-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Has anyone integrated mahina when making a silicone tail?

The only silicone tails I can remember seeing that integrates Mahina were Fish Butts, and if memory serves some of the tails that Fifi Tigg modifies are silicone? (though the fluke is not covered. They still look amazing.)

Fifi Tigg
08-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Emily's Finfolk tail has a Mahina inside :)

Mermaid Melusinah
08-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Aren't some of Raven's tails even made with them? if not, the shape is VERY similar!

Raayvhen
08-03-2014, 01:47 PM
I'll be using mine when I make my latex tail.

Mermaid Wesley
08-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Ravens tails are not actually made with the merfins, but they are a competitor cut to be a similar shape. I think it's a matter of cure inhibition with the different rubbers.

mermaidsammi
08-03-2014, 03:15 PM
They only have small on there website

Slee
08-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Anyone with a latex allergy have any experience with these? They're lovely, and I'd think neoprene socks protecting my feet would work, but if they off-gas badly as much recycled rubber does... Well, then it wouldn't be worth the heartbreak and the diminished air flow. ;-)

Fifi Tigg
08-03-2014, 07:10 PM
They only have small on there website
They don't sell the adult tails on the website but they are available on urban outfitters :)

Mermaid Leira
08-03-2014, 07:17 PM
I cut my Mahina into a shape I liked more, I hope I can integrate it with silicone to use it in the tail I'm making, I'll have it extended at the ends with longer silicone than the monofin if I can so it's floppy at the tips :) thanks for sharing how to cut fifi, scissors and a bread knife did the trick!

Mermaid Leira
08-03-2014, 09:41 PM

If anyone has intergrated a Mahina into a tail let me know if you have any tips, it's quite thick on the sides, so I'm brainstorming ways to get around that :)

Fifi Tigg
08-03-2014, 11:24 PM

If anyone has intergrated a Mahina into a tail let me know if you have any tips, it's quite thick on the sides, so I'm brainstorming ways to get around that :)
Love the cut you've made, looks nice :D
Emily's finfolk tail is not glued down inside but works perfectly, no drag or ballooning and it's not bulky. Hope this helps you a little :D

Mermaid Leira
08-04-2014, 12:40 AM
Thank you, It's much easier to use now, it was huhe for me before! Awesome, now to research how to cast a fluke that will fit over it :)

Mermaid Wesley
08-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Is it latex? Latex + silicone is a no-go

Slee
08-04-2014, 05:30 PM
The urban outfitters site touted it as being made from recycled rubber, which is typically some amount of NRL, so yes, latex.

Mermaid Wesley
08-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Hmm ok. Well then if it were to be in a silicone tail you would have to make sure the silicone was fully cured before coming anywhere near the monofin

Mermaid Leira
08-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks I did some little tests last night :) I'll check them soon!

Mermaid Leira
08-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Good. Points ta :) It won't stick to the fin, the rubber prohibits curing so it's either seaming it over a form and when it's cured stretching it over the fin, coating the fin in something to stop the rubber from intervening, or wrapping as sheath of something over the fin, seaming the silicone then pulling out the internal sheath once it's cured, time for more tests!

H-SAMA
08-06-2014, 05:04 PM
does anyone have a picture of these monofins inside the tail?

mermaidsammi
08-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Here are some tails with it

Mermaid Saoirse
08-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Last week I ordered an aqua fin in size small. I got the 2-day shipping because I'm a little impatient and it wasn't too much more.
When it arrived at my workplace I had my training pod there to see it. Too excited to really document it well. I did catch one picture though after fifteen minutes or so.
Fitting/On dry land:
The fin is /huge/. I figured it would be two times larger than the fins I'm used to, but this is around two and a half times and definitely not what I'd expected. I'm a sucker for big flukes though, so I'm in love with it.
I'm a women's US size 7 1/2 and it feels a little loose at the back straps. This can easily be fixed though with neoprene socks which I planned on buying to begin with. My feet reach the drainage holes and the foot pocket it's too long to where it's uncomfortable. One drawback that I find is with the top piece of the foot pocket. It's insanely hard to maneuver into the fin unless already in water, and it digs a little into the top of my foot when not holding my legs out straight with my feet pointed. I may just do what others have suggested/done and trim a bit of the top piece.
As others have stated- the tips of the fins are a little bent due to how it's packed in the box. It's not to the point of visibly irritating though. I'm going to be trimming them eventually though, so I may not even have to bother flattening them out.
The fin is insanely flexible! It's got a good flop to it that I'd been looking for in a monofin. The thicker sides closer to the foot pocket help hide them and really helps sell the look of it being a fluke.
In the water:
I learned that it's easier to slip the fin on poolside. It goes on easy and doesn't slip off. I was a bit confused in the water at first because I wasn't used to the amount of flexibility that the fin gives me. I adjusted quickly though and I have to say despite it looking floppy it gives great propulsion in the water! I was cruising around and even went to the deep end to practice tricks that I couldn't do in shallower water. With my other fins I was never able to turn or flip like how I can with this fin. I tested to see how fast I could dive in the 9ft section and it was faster than I expected. The fin also works great for tail slaps, which I loved doing.
The loose back straps were a little irritating during swimming as I felt like the fin would fall off despite it never even starting to slip. Luckily the rubbing generated by the straps moving never gave me blisters. I was in the pool over two hours and there wasn't the first sign of irritation.
Mermaid Tula, one of my students, tried the fin on as well since she's a bit smaller in shoe size. It fit her a little looser than on me but she found no problems swimming in it. (I think I'm going to stop calling her one of my students soon because she has more talent in the water than I do with very little experience.) She worked the fin harder than I did and gave it her thumbs up. She thinks it's very useful for someone who's looking for a large fluke but still want the agility that normally comes with smaller ones.

With a total $119 price tag that I paid I'd say this fin is very worth it for those who are looking for this type of fin.

Slee
08-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Good lord, that thing is beautiful. I admit some grief. Just as I bid on another fin, my spouse walked into the room and said, "why don't you just go ahead and buy the swirly one?"

Slee
08-07-2014, 04:37 PM
When you debox it, does it have a strong scent?

Mermaid Saoirse
08-07-2014, 04:56 PM
When you debox it, does it have a strong scent?

It had an extremely strong scent, though I'd blame it on it having been in a hot UPS truck in South Florida for hours. It doesn't really after a swim in the pool. It's a light surface smell now. The scent's just the rubber from what I can tell- like what tires, bicycle shops, and such smell like. I can assure you though that if you keep your face close to it for an hour after just unboxing it you may feel a little lightheaded like I did. I probably should have mentioned this in my main review area, but I figured it wasn't really bothersome since I expected a smell from something made of rubber.

Raayvhen
08-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Yeah. I got a huge whiff of stinky rubber but it dissipated pretty quick.

Slee
08-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks.

Mermaid Saoirse
08-07-2014, 08:55 PM
I trimmed my fin! All I really needed was for the tips to point inward so it works with the tail design that I have. Now it's all set so I can get started on my pattern soon!
It was insanely easy to cut. I was completely shocked at that! All I needed was an old pair of scissors and a stencil to trace the pattern out that I wanted.
Whoops blurry/bad quality kitchen photo. Sorry!

Mermaid Jaffa
08-08-2014, 09:38 PM
I just ordered one in Orange small size from a Singapore swim shop. Cause I broke my Fin Fun monofin last night. So much for going swimming today...:cry:

Slee
08-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Well, it's official. Paranoia about the offgassing period makes me more comfortable with the rapid coming my way. But I still want one, lol. I guess wait a year and watch for people who get seduced by something else looking to unload a used one, right?

Mermaid Jaffa
08-26-2014, 05:17 AM
Well, it's official. Paranoia about the offgassing period makes me more comfortable with the rapid coming my way. But I still want one, lol. I guess wait a year and watch for people who get seduced by something else looking to unload a used one, right?

Nah. I bought one because I neither have the tools to cut my Wave into a proper mermaid shape. Another reason is, I found the Wave makes me super floaty so I end up kicking air! I'm already floaty enough as it is. And I wanted something softer, but not too soft like the Fin fun one which I broke. Not a design flaw on their part, I was just too rough and careless.

MermaidBrandie
09-21-2014, 03:50 PM
I currently have a child size medium and it's a smidge snug. If I wanted one size larger would I just get the adult small from them? Or the adult medium? My foot is 9.5 inches long from toe to heel.

Mermaid Jaffa
09-21-2014, 09:38 PM
I currently have a child size medium and it's a smidge snug. If I wanted one size larger would I just get the adult small from them? Or the adult medium? My foot is 9.5 inches long from toe to heel.

Mine is the smallest size in the adult fin, size 7. The next size increment they have is 8.5. My shoe size is 7.5, so yea, little hamster feet would find the next size way too big!

My feet do move around a little inside the foot pockets. And when swimming, it feels like its a size too big. With space between straps and back of ankles. I did end up cutting out toe holes as my big toes were squashed and painful when I put my feet inside. I figure with socks and those neoprene straps I ordered, it will be a much comfier fit.

I know its very confusing in sizes. Some websites say the Small goes up to a size 8 ladies shoe, but when I look on the back of the fin, it says 7. So just measure and if still not sure, you can ask them on their fb page or email.

Naiad Rose
09-22-2014, 08:20 AM
The Finis Rapid (and Finis Wave, being made of the same stuff) is actually not too hard to cut. I did mine with a pair of Tin Snips. Those don't cost much, you can find them in most tools sections. You'll need some sandpaper to smooth down the edges a bit. The only issue I had was that I got some scrapes on the fin while cutting around curves. That might be possible to avoid if you're expecting it.

Mermaid Jaffa
09-22-2014, 08:32 AM
The Finis Rapid (and Finis Wave, being made of the same stuff) is actually not too hard to cut. I did mine with a pair of Tin Snips. Those don't cost much, you can find them in most tools sections. You'll need some sandpaper to smooth down the edges a bit. The only issue I had was that I got some scrapes on the fin while cutting around curves. That might be possible to avoid if you're expecting it.
I did that to my Wave but its all packed up, ready for the house moving. I'll get it done properly once we have the new home.

Back to topic, I can't get over how flowy it is in the water! It looks pretty stiff on dry land, I think I spent most of Saturday's 3 hr swim just looking at my MerFin underwater!!

Slee
09-22-2014, 09:47 AM
How do you like your post-mod propulsion?

Mermaid Jaffa
09-22-2014, 10:35 AM
How do you like your post-mod propulsion?

A more expert swimmer would probably go way faster than me. Atm, I go quite slowly as I'm still getting the hang of it, or as I told a couple walking behind me on Saturday, the mermaid kick.

AniaR
09-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Mimi got the largest size and I tried it on and it is the most uncomfortable thing I've ever done. I found the pockets boxy and stubby. Not for me lol.

Mermaid Jaffa
09-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Mimi got the largest size and I tried it on and it is the most uncomfortable thing I've ever done. I found the pockets boxy and stubby. Not for me lol.

You are spoiled!:lol:

Fifi Tigg
09-22-2014, 10:47 AM
I found no matter the size they need a bit of modification and neoprene booties are essential! :)
love them though and I swim faster in it than a finis ;)

Mermaid Jaffa
09-23-2014, 11:24 PM
Looking forward to the next swim, as I've outfitted the straps with the padded neoprene thingies that I ordered online. They were a bit too long but I managed to salvage the scraps so they go round the middle strap of the foot pockets.

Mermaid Freyja
10-06-2014, 03:54 PM
I found my Mahina fin on Ebay, from a seller in Florida. Hopefully it fits! I don't trust the Urban Outfitters' sizing, and the one I ordered was listed as an XL for a shoe size 8.5 to 10.5. I'm a pretty true 10 due to being tall, so according to them it should fit fine. If not, I have the option to return it for a refund.
Originally I had ordered the turquoise, but they are sending me the 'Sunset orange' fin instead. They ran out of stock in the turquoise color.
I'm not a fan of the color orange, but I'm modifying the color later to be part of a full practice tail anyway.

A side note about modifying or painting these fins:
Another mermaid friend reminded me about metallic stuff and chlorine; if I paint this using any metallic pigments, they may dull due to the contact with chlorine. However, I may be able to use a gloss sealant over the top, like 'Rosco Clear Gloss' or 'Triple Thick' glaze. They are both safe for latex, and used in mask making and practical effects for a permanent super shiny finish. Often to make things look wet or even slimy. So we'll see how that goes :)

Mermaid Jaffa
10-06-2014, 11:35 PM
I've done my own experiments with Triple Thick glaze and my paper beads, its not suited for underwater purposes. Its fine for dry shoots, or little splashes of water but not long term underwater immersion. I dip them twice for super shine, with long drying times (1-2 days) in between, and with the tests done, the glaze I can def say, its not waterproof.

The glaze goes very tacky when its hot weather, anything it comes in contact with, fabrics, dust, pet hair etc, will stick to the fin, your hands will even leave hand and finger prints!

Mermaid Freyja
10-07-2014, 01:34 AM
I've done my own experiments with Triple Thick glaze and my paper beads, its not suited for underwater purposes. Its fine for dry shoots, or little splashes of water but not long term underwater immersion. I dip them twice for super shine, with long drying times (1-2 days) in between, and with the tests done, the glaze I can def say, its not waterproof.

The glaze goes very tacky when its hot weather, anything it comes in contact with, fabrics, dust, pet hair etc, will stick to the fin, your hands will even leave hand and finger prints!

Ugh! Good to know. Thanks for the info :)
I'll keep searching.

deepblue
10-07-2014, 01:51 AM
It's good to read about others' experiences with the foot pockets. I haven't wanted a merfin because the straps look so uncomfy to me.

Mermaid Jaffa
10-07-2014, 02:18 AM
It's good to read about others' experiences with the foot pockets. I haven't wanted a merfin because the straps look so uncomfy to me.

I used these neoprene fin straps. It was a bit too long, so I trimmed them. And stuck (it has velcro on it) the trimmings together so they are on the middle strap of the merfin, so now all the straps of my merfin are now nicely padded!

MermaidBrandie
11-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Mine is the smallest size in the adult fin, size 7. The next size increment they have is 8.5. My shoe size is 7.5, so yea, little hamster feet would find the next size way too big!

My feet do move around a little inside the foot pockets. And when swimming, it feels like its a size too big. With space between straps and back of ankles. I did end up cutting out toe holes as my big toes were squashed and painful when I put my feet inside. I figure with socks and those neoprene straps I ordered, it will be a much comfier fit.

I know its very confusing in sizes. Some websites say the Small goes up to a size 8 ladies shoe, but when I look on the back of the fin, it says 7. So just measure and if still not sure, you can ask them on their fb page or email.
I don't trust shoe sizing unless I can try them on. Could you perhaps get a measuring tape and measure the length for me?

Mermaid Jaffa
11-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Inside measurements of foot pockets is 23.5 cm. I measured the inside because outside measurement seems wrong, as that is not where your feet go.
Widest part inside of foot pocket is approx 6.7 cm.

I had to cut off a bit more of the toe pockets, just for the big toe corners, not the whole toes section, and it fits perfect. I can't wear neoprene socks in it as my feet refuse to go in! So I just wear regular shoe socks, the thin kind and its a fine fit.

Sorry mad brain jumble, waiting for lunch to cook!

MermaidBrandie
11-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Inside measurements of foot pockets is 23.5 cm. I measured the inside because outside measurement seems wrong, as that is not where your feet go.
Widest part inside of foot pocket is approx 6.7 cm.

I had to cut off a bit more of the toe pockets, just for the big toe corners, not the whole toes section, and it fits perfect. I can't wear neoprene socks in it as my feet refuse to go in! So I just wear regular shoe socks, the thin kind and its a fine fit.

Sorry mad brain jumble, waiting for lunch to cook!

Hmmmm that's the right length for my foot, but not the right width. Which confuses me. Lol

Mermaid Jaffa
11-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Get a bigger size and wear socks?

Yea my feet are very long and skinny. if you've ever seen hamster feet, you'll know why my cousin calls me that... Even to this day...:$:lol:

The depth, if it helps, is 5.2 cm.

Try drawing it up on a piece of paper, if your feet can fit without the paper ripping, its the right size.

MermaidBrandie
11-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Get a bigger size and wear socks?

Yea my feet are very long and skinny. if you've ever seen hamster feet, you'll know why my cousin calls me that... Even to this day...:$:lol:

The depth, if it helps, is 5.2 cm.

What do you mean by "depth"?

Mermaid Jaffa
11-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Distance between top of foot pocket and bottom. The space that your feet fits into.

MermaidBrandie
11-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Lol oh ok!! I was so confused. You could've meant from heel to toe as well. Lol

Mermaid Jaffa
11-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Heel to toe - 23.5 cm
Width of foot pocket - 6.7 cm
Depth (top of monofin to bottom of monofin inside the foot pocket) - 5.2 cm

I included depth so you can measure to see if your feet will fit into the size properly. Ie too wide or too skinny feet. But then you could always just wear socks!

MermaidBrandie
11-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Hmmm hmm does anyone have the size medium to measure similarly? I feel like this would be a old reference for people anyways.
Edit: I used socks on mine and liked them BUT they get holes in them within weeks (even the neoprene socks) and I just don't want to be throwing down 20$ every month. :(

Mermaid Jaffa
11-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Ah I see. I wear the cheapo socks from Kmart or Target.

They cost around $3-6 dollars for a set of 3 or 4.

Imogen Finnly
11-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Okay, so I ordered both colors in a medium (I'm a 9 1/2 ) im really excited. And didn't realize that it was so big!! Ill try to post opening pics. Im having a hard time posting pics here but ill try! Yay!

formerly jayy

Mermaid Jaffa
11-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Okay, so I ordered both colors in a medium (I'm a 9 1/2 ) im really excited. And didn't realize that it was so big!! Ill try to post opening pics. Im having a hard time posting pics here but ill try! Yay!

formerly jayy
Are you the one I commented on Mahina's fb page, that "they are so much fun!"?

MermaidBrandie
11-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Ah I see. I wear the cheapo socks from Kmart or Target.

They cost around $3-6 dollars for a set of 3 or 4.

I tried wearing just really soft socks and they hurt a lot more than just wearing the fin. :/

Mermaid Jaffa
11-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Its a shame we can't buy stuff, try it on, then send it back with full refund if it doesn't fit!

Imogen Finnly
11-30-2014, 11:00 PM
I haven't got my fin yet but so I cast tell whether it is or not its possible haha

formerly jayy

Mermaid Jaffa
12-04-2014, 04:47 PM
I think I'll have to get the next size up... I'm getting blisters in odd places on my feet, and the cramps...

MermaidBrandie
12-04-2014, 05:06 PM
I think I'm gonna go to Urban outfitters and see if I can order one to the store, try it on and if it doesn't fit have then trade it for the size up

Mermaid Jaffa
12-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Trade it? You can exchange your old fin for a new one?

Or it means something else?

MermaidBrandie
12-04-2014, 05:18 PM
If you buy it there, of course. It's no different than if you need to trade a new size shirt.

Mermaid Jaffa
12-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Oh. Well I ordered a new fin, next size up.

Imogen Finnly
12-06-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm a 9.5 in women's and the medium fit Me perfectly. It's snug but I still have wiggle room. I don't see how I can wear neoprene socks with it so I'm going to line the areas in neoprene that give me the most pain.

formerly jayy

Imogen Finnly
12-06-2014, 07:17 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/06/805f4c6c1583ce4cefa416341def7468.jpg

formerly jayy

Yulia
02-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Would anyone be able to post the dimensions of the monofin, I want to compare it to other finsomething. <:

Mermaid Jaffa
02-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Would anyone be able to post the dimensions of the monofin, I want to compare it to other finsomething. <:

Its the biggest monofin of them all! Someone posted a pic, its bigger than a competitor.

lilibit
03-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Now I am really confused about the sizes! I am a 8.5-9, but my foot is kind of wide.
I really want to get one that fits straight away, then I will be off laughing :D

It seems as though some people say the small and some say the large, which has made me very, very confused :eek:

lilibit
03-07-2015, 12:18 AM
For any kiwi's looking for these I have found them on https://www.matakanasup.co.nz/shop/beach-stuff/mahina-mermaid-fins/?attribute_pa_fin-size=5-7&attribute_pa_fin-colour=aqua&doing_wp_cron=1425705448.7620310783386230468750

And they said that there is a 10% off code which they are generating for me if anyone else wants it :)... they said I could share

Mermaid Jaffa
03-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Now I am really confused about the sizes! I am a 8.5-9, but my foot is kind of wide.
I really want to get one that fits straight away, then I will be off laughing :D

It seems as though some people say the small and some say the large, which has made me very, very confused :eek:
I found the sizing to be a little weird too. The first adult merfin I bought is an S, which is supposed to fit ladies 5-7. Even my scrawny little hamster feet had to be shoved in it after much struggling. I wear 7.5 and cutting out the toes didn't work as I still ended up with blisters. Its the straps that cause them. I now have the next size up and when I don't wear thick socks, that's when I get blisters on my ankle bones. The straps have a thicker part of rubber that likes to dig into my feet, no matter what size merfin I have.

lilibit
03-08-2015, 08:27 PM
I measured my feet against the size chart on the Mahina website, and my feet are meant to fit easily into a small (with some room to spare), and any bigger my feet should be swimming. 0.0
So many different people seem to have similar sized feet but need the different sizes.. eep!!

Mermaid Jaffa
03-08-2015, 09:42 PM
I measured my feet against the size chart on the Mahina website, and my feet are meant to fit easily into a small (with some room to spare), and any bigger my feet should be swimming. 0.0
So many different people seem to have similar sized feet but need the different sizes.. eep!!

Yea. My feet are long and skinny... Like a hamster's!!

lilibit
03-09-2015, 03:38 AM
I don't know if I would prefer long and skinny, or long and fat lol.... I think you skinny people feet have it easier :P Can fit into shoes and don't need to go to the wide foot (limited) section, or have your feet smooshed.

OceanWhisper
03-09-2015, 03:42 AM
I don't know if I would prefer long and skinny, or long and fat lol.... I think you skinny people feet have it easier :P Can fit into shoes and don't need to go to the wide foot (limited) section, or have your feet smooshed. lol ^.^ "Smooshed"

OceanWhisper
03-09-2015, 03:44 AM
I just have tiny feet both ways. Size 7 (australian) and they're not wide or anything. :I still makes it annoying for sizing too though.

lilibit
03-09-2015, 05:41 AM
Smooshed is a good word :)
Yeah but little feet like you get the best shoes at 2nd hand stores, so jealous!

MermaidAine
06-01-2015, 03:56 PM
To those of you that have modified the foot pockets for an easier fit...how did you do it, and have you had any issue with them tearing after they were modified?
My bestie bought me one for Christmas and I tried it on then. It was tough but I got in it. Now that I have my tail almost done, I tried it on in the tail and it took me forever to get my feet in there and it left red marks on my feet. I am diabetic with neuropathy and I have to be very careful to not get blisters so I bought neoprene socks, but there is NO way I can get my feet in there with socks on. I am hoping that the whole process will be easier when the fin and my feet are both wet...or if I used some lubricant.

Merman Lir
06-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Exciting, but disappointed they're on urban outfitters...they're a shitty company. You can find dozens of articles on why they're so shitty. ( http://jezebel.com/5875181/whats-wrong-with-urban-outfitters , http://theweek.com/article/index/220370/racist-navajo-attire-and-7-other-urban-outfitters-controversies , http://s3-ak.buzzfeed.com/static/enhanced/terminal01/2011/6/14/12/enhanced-buzz-14143-1308067832-4.jpg , http://cabell.tumblr.com/post/20847337459/fuck-urban-outfitters-it-pains-me-to-say-this , http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/26/urban-outfitters-steal_n_867604.html )

So yeah, with that said, I hope they're released for purchase elsewhere soon.

Get them on E-bay, they also sell them there (not Urban Outfitters)

i got one for my first tail (neoprene) which is itself a stopgap while i get together funds for a silicone one. anyhoo, I agree that the unrealistic shape is not ideal, but there's plenty of real estate to trim the shape. I intend to lose the points that curve out (should curve in or not at all!) and lose the rounded scallops on the end, a little creativity and It ought to work out.

Mermaid Jaffa
06-01-2015, 11:14 PM
To those of you that have modified the foot pockets for an easier fit...how did you do it, and have you had any issue with them tearing after they were modified?
My bestie bought me one for Christmas and I tried it on then. It was tough but I got in it. Now that I have my tail almost done, I tried it on in the tail and it took me forever to get my feet in there and it left red marks on my feet. I am diabetic with neuropathy and I have to be very careful to not get blisters so I bought neoprene socks, but there is NO way I can get my feet in there with socks on. I am hoping that the whole process will be easier when the fin and my feet are both wet...or if I used some lubricant.

With my old merfin, I cut holes just for my big toes. It was still a battle to get my feet in it. I couldn't wear any type of socks with it either, which meant my ankles always got blistered and raw.

For my current merfin, I chuck them into the water and put it on there. Otherwise its an epic struggle to get my feet in when dry. Its the straps on the merfin. They are not flexible and stretchy like the foil and other type of fins. My feet are 7.5 and my merfin is adult 7-9 medium. With this one, I wear thick sports socks. I do have neoprene socks but I didn't like the feel of them.

Mermaid Olivia!
06-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Just placed an order for mine- got orange to match my other tail! :D I'm really excited to take it to Florida with me this summer and try it out! My partial silicone is definitely going with me as well so I can get some awesome pictures on the beach, but since I won't have time to be constantly cleaning it every time I want to swim, I decided on getting a MerFin as well because they seem pretty low-maintenance. ;) I ordered a small and really hope it won't be too big, since I have teeny tiny feet. I seriously considered getting a child size, but since I really wanted orange, I went with adult.

Mermaid Alaria
09-02-2015, 03:32 PM

Did you ever figure this out Aine? I've been thinking about a Mahina, and I'd love to see one before I decide... :)

Also, any successful Mahina painting jobs?

Fifi Tigg
09-02-2015, 07:00 PM
It's relatively easy to modify a Mahina, draw out where you are making the cut and then very carefully/slowly with a serrated knife cut along your traced line. Make sure to mark it all out twice and cut once.

stellar lee
09-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Ok, I just went for my first swim in my adult size (small) mehina....it was nearly impossible to get on at home with dry feet, and horribly uncomfortable. I even began modifying the foot pockets because of the increeibly high and tight instep. That was probably a poor decision, because everything changed once my feet and the fin were both wet.
I feel like there may be room in the fin for a thin neoprene sock ( i was prepared for blisters and wore light toe socks, which came off, but the fin stayed on). I wear a wide 39, and once wet, the small adult mahina is almost perfect. If anything, a tad big now that I changed the vamp of the fin. I could put it on and take it off in the water. my swim was about 40 minutes, I wore it the whole time, and no blisters, no discomfort.

I highly recommend wearing when wet, and then messing with the pockets!

Hope that helps!
Lee

River Moonsong
09-18-2015, 01:59 PM
I would love to get one of these, but unfortunately, "Shipment to international locations, U.S. territories, Alaska, Hawaii, P.O. boxes, APO/FPO addresses and express ship methods are unavailable for this item." I live in Canada, also I would need the small size and they're sold out.

Mermaid Jaffa
09-18-2015, 11:45 PM
I would love to get one of these, but unfortunately, "Shipment to international locations, U.S. territories, Alaska, Hawaii, P.O. boxes, APO/FPO addresses and express ship methods are unavailable for this item." I live in Canada, also I would need the small size and they're sold out.

I have the small size in the Sunset Orange. I may be willing to ship overseas if the postage is decent. Mine has a few things done to it.
You can view it here.
http://mernetwork.com/index/album.php?albumid=1439

River Moonsong
09-19-2015, 12:01 AM
That's a very nice offer but I won't be getting one this year. (I think getting a car should come before getting a new monofin;)) Thank you, but I'll pass for now.

Dannia
09-19-2015, 10:47 AM
I received my size small Merfin yesterday and took it for a swim. It was shipped from Oregon and took a little over a week to get here. It was my first time swimming with a monofin. It was much easier to get the feet in them when wet. Did take me a little time before I got the hang of it and then I was swimming good. The only problem I had was my feet were a little loose inside and that caused rubbing, and also made it difficult to swim fast. Next time I shall try wearing socks, maybe buying some neoprene kind to make my feet more sung inside.
I really enjoyed swimming in the merfin and other people swimming thought it was really interesting. :)

Mermaid Lily_Pad
09-21-2015, 07:40 AM
I got mine a month or two ago. I was so confused by everything I read about the sizing that I actually contacted Mahina directly. They said buy a medium. I wear an 8.5. I went against what they said however and bought a 9 in case I needed to wear socks with them. Thank goodness I did because it fits great. I get no rubbing on my right foot, only a little on my left. Instead of a booty I bought a cloth ankle brace, you know, the ace bandage type ones only it is sewn together to slip onto your foot. It stopped all the blisters. It is Also nude so it doesnt look as strange with the tail. As for the fin, it's wonderful! It flows beautifully. It's fast as heck. We got my eldest one of the youth ones and she is like a little torpedo with it. I am not as thrilled with the shape as I would like to be, but I love the fin. I know she us coming out with a size smaller then a youth for the little kids, also an orca tail for men, I want the orca one, but I may have enough saved for my basic mernation tail by then.

Arya
03-05-2016, 01:50 PM
I received my size small Merfin yesterday and took it for a swim. It was shipped from Oregon and took a little over a week to get here. It was my first time swimming with a monofin. It was much easier to get the feet in them when wet. Did take me a little time before I got the hang of it and then I was swimming good. The only problem I had was my feet were a little loose inside and that caused rubbing, and also made it difficult to swim fast. Next time I shall try wearing socks, maybe buying some neoprene kind to make my feet more sung inside.
I really enjoyed swimming in the merfin and other people swimming thought it was really interesting. :)

Reading through the thread, the notes on sizing and fit seem to be very varied. I was wondering what US or European size shoe you wear? I wear a US size 8.5 and I'm having trouble figuring out if a adult small or a medium will fit me based off of the comments here. Thank you for your help!

Mermaid Jaffa
03-05-2016, 10:56 PM
Reading through the thread, the notes on sizing and fit seem to be very varied. I was wondering what US or European size shoe you wear? I wear a US size 8.5 and I'm having trouble figuring out if a adult small or a medium will fit me based off of the comments here. Thank you for your help!

Medium. It fits shoe size 7-9.

Rett
03-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Anyone have any idea how long the Mahinas have been sold out on the Urban Outfitters website, and when (if) they will be restocked? I thankfully will need a large (the only size left in stock) but I was curious how long they have been sold out (and if the turquoise color will be restocked before I order)

Also, to anyone that has a large Mahina, could you please take a look at the recent thread I made asking for a pic of the Large Mahina with a measuring tape laying across? I would be ever so grateful for a pic!

Loralei
04-01-2016, 12:20 AM
Im so confused on sizes. Im a regular size 8. It says to buy small. Help fellow mermaids, help!

Mermaid Jaffa
04-01-2016, 12:32 AM
Im so confused on sizes. Im a regular size 8. It says to buy small. Help fellow mermaids, help!

I'm a 7.5. The small is too small! I had to cut toe holes but its still wasn't a comfy fit. I ended up buying the next size up, a medium. Its fairly big on my feet but wearing 3mm neoprene socks does help with the fitting.

Loralei
04-01-2016, 12:34 AM
I'm a 7.5. The small is too small! I had to cut toe holes but its still wasn't a comfy fit. I ended up buying the next size up, a medium. Its fairly big on my feet but wearing 3mm neoprene socks does help with the fitting.
I might go medium, in that case

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Rett
04-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know whether the mahina is recommended for ocean swimming? I heard it was recommended over the finis rapid and hydra in terms of propulsion, but I wanted to verify. Thanks mers! :)

ylluria
04-02-2016, 05:18 PM
I just got mine from Amazon, and while I LOVE the look of it, I'm in a bit of a fix. I tried an orange Mahina on a few weeks ago and LOVED it. I have super high insteps, and the fin absolutely fit like a DREAM. But the one I just got from Amazon (with Mahina tags n' everything, and still a size L to accomodate my wide feet n' high insteps like the one I tried on before) is actually HELLA tight. (To the point wher my insteps are still sore from my one use days ago.) So, what do you guys recommend I do? Is there a way to maybe heat up the rubber a bit and gently encourage a little instep stretch? Or should I exchange it and see if another one will fit better? My hope is that the one I tried on weeks ago was an older one and so had been well-loved & stretched out over time, but right now it's pretty painful to use the one I've bought, which kinda breaks my heart. So any help/advice would be grand. Cheers! ♥

StellaRae
04-06-2016, 06:12 PM
I do know that currently Zulilly has both child and adult mahina mermaid fins! They sell out pretty quick, thought about buying some two weeks ago but they were all gone! Luckily they have restocked this week.

AquaStella
04-07-2016, 11:53 AM
I just got mine from Amazon, and while I LOVE the look of it, I'm in a bit of a fix. I tried an orange Mahina on a few weeks ago and LOVED it. I have super high insteps, and the fin absolutely fit like a DREAM. But the one I just got from Amazon (with Mahina tags n' everything, and still a size L to accomodate my wide feet n' high insteps like the one I tried on before) is actually HELLA tight. (To the point wher my insteps are still sore from my one use days ago.) So, what do you guys recommend I do? Is there a way to maybe heat up the rubber a bit and gently encourage a little instep stretch? Or should I exchange it and see if another one will fit better? My hope is that the one I tried on weeks ago was an older one and so had been well-loved & stretched out over time, but right now it's pretty painful to use the one I've bought, which kinda breaks my heart. So any help/advice would be grand. Cheers! ♥

That well-loved one was "stretched" from wear. My personal experience is that they are a tight fit at first. As in, very tight. And they stretch over time. So I wore "socks" for a time and now I don't wear anything at all, but will admit wearing socks always keeps the "rubs" away.
I did not in anyway alter my Mahina. I just wore it a lot and always with socks. If I swim for a longer swim, I will still put socks on for comfort's sake. But it does fit smoothly without socks after a year+ of lots of swims.

Rin
05-12-2016, 11:20 AM
I know I'm late to the party but they've restocked them on Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195YD558/ref=s9_simh_gw_g21_i4_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=0J6X5ZP2H568DC23QM2C&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869762&pf_rd_i=desktop

Sheira Seastar
05-25-2016, 01:29 AM
Quick update. Walmart had four adult smalls in turquoise. I just bought one, there are three left. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mahina-Mermaid-MerFin-Adult-Classic-Swimming-Fin-Adult-Small-Aqua/50291430?WMLSPARTNER=WLPA&SELECTEDSELLERID=0&adid=22222222227038346750&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=92169371177&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=183824867057&veh=sem