PDA

View Full Version : Merwork outs?

MadisonTheMer93
05-23-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm wondering if there are any good exercises I can do before I get my tail? Preferably out of water ones? I'm scared I'm gonna get my tail and just be completely exhausted after 10 minutes.

-The curious new mermaid

Mermaid Wesley
05-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Try leg lifts, squats crunches. Most of it is core strength so work out those abs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadisonTheMer93
05-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Awesome! Thank you soo much! :)

-The curious new mermaid

Little_Orca
05-24-2014, 01:44 AM
You can try swimming with regular fins (or your monofin if you can remove it from your tail) in an ungulating motion and see how that feels. Build up to it. I have been swimming all my life so it was an easy transition for me and I don't tire easily in my tail as much as my competitor fin squeezes me feet and makes them hurt a little. Thankfully, I am good at swimming with just my arms so I can rest my tail when needed. ;)

MadisonTheMer93
05-24-2014, 01:47 AM
I don't have a place close by to do swimming exercises, but I will soon so that'll be super helpful.

-The curious new mermaid

Mermaid Pickles
05-24-2014, 02:50 AM
For building lung capacity, I power walk three to five miles and sing while doing so. Kind of entertaining actually. Ended up doing that earlier and gave some random guy who looked like he was about to drop from exhaustion my unopened gatorade. He needed it more than me.

Aziara
05-24-2014, 04:52 PM
I'd say anything that works both the lower back and the abs, such as planks. Here's a favorite routine of mine from Autumn Fitness on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNl_JXR_Yyc

MadisonTheMer93
05-24-2014, 04:53 PM
That helps a ton! Thank you!

-The curious new mermaid

Naomi Indigo
06-18-2014, 07:58 PM
My First Post. I was in the choir in high school. I know a few breathing exercises that are relaxing, too. Take a deep breath, but very slowly. Try counting to ten, then hold it for two seconds, then breathe out slowly while also counting to ten again. Then gradually increase the number you are counting to. There is also a breathing exercise in which you say "Heee hee hee, haa haa haa" It sounds silly, you really want to emphasize the "H" sound to work out your diaphragm. One final breathing exercise is to take a nice deep breath and say "red leather, yellow leather, red leather, yellow leather red" as many times as you can. Don't try to rush, (you really want to stay on beat and Annunciate,) until you are almost out of breath. Take a two second break, and another breath. then say it again a little faster and longer for the second breath. If you mess up, you are going to fast. I hope this is of some help.

Naomi Indigo
06-22-2014, 04:10 PM
I also figure doing exercising with flutter-kicks, planking, and yoga would help a lot. I am a bit concerned of the legs being constantly bound together when swimming so maybe laying on your back and slowly lifting up your legs and spread and put them together almost like when making a snow angel.