PDA

View Full Version : Monofin Attempts

Araxie
05-25-2014, 03:32 PM
So about a year ago I tried making my first monofin, which was made out of some sort of plastic i found in my garage. I drilled small plastic shoes onto it but when I got into the water, I kicked once and it fell apart. I tried again with a more flexible plastic my dad found at a job site (my parents are architects) and tried the same method of drilling the shoes onto it. It worked for a while but started cracking. About a month after I bought a sheet of pbc and put the shoes on that. It hasn't cracked or anything but I think it's too stiff and hard to work with. I finally gave up (for now) and bought a monofin from Fin Fun Mermaid, but I liked making my own monofin because I got to choose the shape. However, they were never really strong enough, so I was wondering if anyone knows of good material to make a fin out of. If you've made your own fin would you please be willing to share some advice? :)

MerEmma
05-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Lexan is the main material members here have used. Try the search bar.

Araxie
05-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks, I'm going to look into that right now!

MerAnthony
05-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Lexan is a polycarbonite but you would want it on the thiner side. I got awhile ago a .93 thickness an it is alittle stiff but works well maybe a little thinner would be better.