PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin Kick On Back - Technique?

Mermaid Galene
05-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Had a lovely monofin swim this afternoon in Little Falls Lake at Willow River State Park, which is only 4 miles from our house. The water was quite cold, and the bottom of that lake is very mucky, but the mermaid dolphin kick went much more smoothly and easily for me than it did in the pool a few weeks ago. It was delightful to come up for air and see beautiful natural scenery all around me! Only two disappointments: 1) the water was too murky to see any fish, and 2) I couldn't seem to master swimming on my back with the monofin.

Any pointers?

Mermaid Wesley
05-25-2014, 08:03 PM
It's definitely harder. Were you on the surface or underwater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Galene
05-25-2014, 08:04 PM
I was underwater. There was a lot of silt getting stirred up from the bottom of the lake, which didn't help.

Coradion
05-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Most people try to dolphin kick in a sitting position when they're on their backs. The motion should originate from your core and if you don't have straightish body lines you'll lose all your momentum and it won't be fluid. There are two main ways you can dolphin kick on your back.

You can lay on the water and start in a streamline and kick. In that case start by streamlining your hands and lie flat before kicking from your core. If your knees are breaking the water you're doing it wrong. Don't try for big kicks to start take small and controlled kicks.

If you want to do the more fun/playful kick lay on your back and arch curl your upper body forward a bit. You want to look like an otter at rest. I actually think it's easier to swim this way with me hands out of the water, sculling motions can throw you off and slow you down. Once you're in your otter position just kick from your core. This can be a very relaxed kick and is good if you want to do things that look effortless. If your hands are out you can look in a mirror with one and comb your hair with the other while swimming or even read a book or something.

Coradion
05-25-2014, 08:05 PM
http://nationalaquarium.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/otters.jpg

Mermaid Wesley
05-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Galene
05-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the tips, Coradion!

Mermaid Jaffa
05-26-2014, 09:22 AM
http://nationalaquarium.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/otters.jpg
Looks like me after 20 mins of swimming! Last time I floated on my back, I kinda fell asleep too!

Mermaid Galene
05-26-2014, 10:00 AM
And, honestly, who doesn't fall in love with hand-holding sea otters?!

AptaMer
05-27-2014, 05:57 PM
LOL those little guys are so adorable!