PDA

View Full Version : Mermaids in Wigs

LaurenTrillium
05-31-2014, 10:19 PM
I have a question about hair. Right now I have very short hair and I love the classic flowy mermaid hair and I was wondering if swimming with a wig was even a possibility.

Thanks,

Lauren Trillium

Keiris
05-31-2014, 11:35 PM
Hi Lauren> Yes swimming in a wig is a possibility. When Amy Yasbeck took over for Daryl Hannah as Madison in "Splash Too," she had to wear a long blonde wig the entire shoot to cover her red hair. As I recall, there were quite a few tests because there was a problem with tangling underwater with some of the synthetic fibers they tried. If extensions are not a possibility for you, a wig may be the next best thing but you may have to pull sections of your hair through the spaces in the cap and twist and anchor it to the wig for underwater swimming. The girls that use different headdresses on this sight would be familiar with ways to keep them in place under the water. FYI, wigs come in different cap sizes from petite to average. Good luck. :-)

LaurenTrillium
05-31-2014, 11:50 PM
Oh interesting! Yeah my hair is still to short for extensions sadly. But thank you so much for the tip! I'll have to try that.

AniaR
06-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Madison wore a wig too actually, theres a few threads about this already too try out the search bar :)

LaurenTrillium
06-01-2014, 12:52 AM

Winged Mermaid
06-01-2014, 01:20 AM
I have a bunch of info as I'm trying to make a thread on wigs and extensions for mermaiding. It's taking a long time cause there's sooo much info! But to start off, yes it's possible, and yes people do it fairly commonly :)

Ayla of Duluth
06-01-2014, 01:30 AM
I once did a gig where the client insisted I dress up like ariel for the child's birthday party. I wore a silicone cap I got from amazon, (I recommend either black or white) and I used probably 20 bobby pins. The wig stayed on very securely through the whole 2 hour gig. I did my best to stay above water, but it worked pretty well when I went under as well.

LaurenTrillium
06-01-2014, 03:38 AM
I had never heard about a silicone cap for that before now thank you so much!

Ayla of Duluth
06-01-2014, 01:40 PM
I used a silicone swim cap for a halloween costume once and it really helped grip the wig and keep it in place. The cap also gives you something snug to attach the wig to so it doesn't fall off on its own.

Coradion
06-06-2014, 04:51 AM
Just make sure you dry it really well. They used to swim with wigs at Pac beach and I heard they got kind of gross.

Mermaid Linda Stephanie
06-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Just make sure you dry it really well. They used to swim with wigs at Pac beach and I heard they got kind of gross.

I think that only happened once or twice for a holiday. I did some research on this previously and talked to a hair dresser who said that if you wear a wig underwater be sure it is REAL hair. Synthetic hair will not last underwater, particularly in salt water. It tangles up pretty badly and gets ruined. Good luck! :-)

Winged Mermaid
06-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Actually everything I've ever read, or heard from pros, is to not wear real hair wigs for swimming, only synthetic :P You have to take proper care of them though.