PDA

View Full Version : Help for my first swim ever in a tail.

Mercelien
06-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Well today will be my first time swimming in my fabric tail in the Chesapeake bay. :yay: I'm super excited. But I'm also super nervous. I've never swam in a tail before. My biggest fear isn't drowning or sharks it's that I won't be cut out for it. Or what is the sea doesn't accept me (I know that sounds weird but that's the only way I could rephrase it :O_o: ) and I'm terrible at it. :headdesk: I love the ocean and I feel more at home there than anywhere else in the world but what if after this first swim it isn't all I hoped it would be? Any tips to help with my first swim and what were your biggest fears about your first swim?

Echidna
06-01-2014, 03:06 PM
I had similar worries before my first tail swim, even though I had dived as a child already.
That's perfectly normal.

My advice is, if you happen to not be able to tailswim/dolphinkick immediately, to not be discouraged.
It takes a bit of practice, especially if you want the undulation to look good.
Also, everyone is different, and if you've read up on dolphinkick swimming technique and don't manage to recreate it right away from the descriptions, don't worry, you'll get there!
Just keep practicing.

Mercelien
06-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks I know that I'm going to give it my all no matter what. It's more of convincing my parents. My siblings all want tails and I really want to show them that they can do anything they set there minds to. My little sisters and brothers have already told me that they may want tails when they get a bit older but my parents deffinantly won't let them if I fail.

MermanOliver
06-01-2014, 04:31 PM
If you feel at home in the water, then the biggest part is already done. Be confident and remember, graceful needs practice, and practice takes time. Don't be too harsh to yourself, remember that it is your first swim. Enjoy it!
Sent from my phonebrick using Tapatalk

Fun123joker
06-01-2014, 04:42 PM
you got this!

Mermaid Jaffa
06-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Bring a floatie or kickboard, then you'll have something to hang on to when you get tired, or when you are practicing treading water in your tail.

Kamanaka
06-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Good luck, might be an idea to practice with just the monofin first then add in the tail, it will build up your confidence knowing you can easily remove the fin if you need to. Saying that you are at home in the water so you will be absolutely fine, just go easy on yourself and have fun, dolphin kick takes practice but when it clicks and you get it, it really feels good!