PDA

View Full Version : The new finfun designs?

Trade Winds
06-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Anyone have any of the new colors from FinFunMermaid? I dig the colors, but I fear it would have the same issues other scale-print fabrics have (such as their previous colors that FFM and others have apparently phased out). Anyone know?

http://www.finfunmermaid.com/shop-mermaid-tails/mermaidens-collection.html

Sent from my LG-D520 using Tapatalk

MerEmma
06-04-2014, 05:36 PM
They're really new still so I kind of doubt anyone has one in their hands yet.

Trade Winds
06-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Maybe some over-eager mer has one anyway. :P

BayouMermaid
06-04-2014, 07:41 PM
The previous scale ones were made out of foil print, the same as my tail. The foil wears off over time. This looks printed/dyed onto the fabric. I think it will last a lot longer without maintenance.

Mermaid Galene
06-04-2014, 08:37 PM
They're quite pretty. The only issue might be the lack of custom sizing. How are their monofins? Ah. Never mind, found the answer in other threads. But here's another question: Anyone know the precise dimensions of the fluke with the monofin in? if I got one, I would prefer to use the cut Finis Rapid that I put in my other fabric tail.

Meshy
06-05-2014, 12:29 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/Meshy614/FinFun%20Mermaid%20Tail/FinfunDimentions_zps966a6e2f.png

Sorry the picture is so small, it's the best I could find, their site crashed due to a giveaway. I'm not sure on the smaller "kids" monofin, I don't have that one, but I just measured mine right now. I hope this helps.:)

Edit: I should also mention that the plastic inside is this shape and you can order just the insert part for $20 on their site then add your own foot pockets to it. Probably still won't have a ton of propulsion, but that's another option.

Arejay
06-05-2014, 02:36 AM
I just ordered one! I don't know what the previous issues were as I'm new to all this, however; I'll let you know anything I can when I do get it in my hands.

Mermaid Galene
06-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks so much, Meshy! I'm thinking I might be able to fit one of my two current monofins in there, and just cover any peeking out with a little flowy fabric at the end of the fluke.

Trade Winds
06-05-2014, 09:32 AM
What color, Arejay?

From what I understand, the previous scale patterns tend to lose their shininess, the color rubs off, and fade quickly. I haven't gotten around to swimming in my tail yet tho.

Seraphina Suds
06-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Wow, I actually really like those. The green especially.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Galene
06-05-2014, 10:22 AM
They say these new tails are made from a chlorine and saltwater resistant, heavy duty 80% Poly and 20% spandex fabric. And it looks like the scales are not holographic, like some of their other tails. The shininess on these is probably just the natural sheen of spandex, so it shouldn't really rub off. I think the pattern dyed into the fabric is pure genius! With a little extra flowy finnage, a mermaidy belt and a really decorative top and headdress, I think these tails could work for professional use.

Gotta have one!

Cerulean
06-05-2014, 12:42 PM
I saw their website update a couple days ago - which was really exciting because I was already planning on ordering one after I returned home for the summer. Having their "new line" come out just in time for me to order one was like woot! Itll be my first tail, Ill be using it until I can bother my friends that sew enough to make me one. Meantime this will be more than enough to make me happy

Arejay
06-05-2014, 12:43 PM
What color, Arejay?

From what I understand, the previous scale patterns tend to lose their shininess, the color rubs off, and fade quickly. I haven't gotten around to swimming in my tail yet tho.

Aussie Green!

Aziara
06-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Be sure you post some pics when you get it, these new colors are really pretty. I must admit to being tempted to buy one...

Arejay
06-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Will do Aziara

Mermaid Jaffa
06-07-2014, 12:14 AM
I got one too! I saw it 11 hours after they posted the video but they already ran out of the pink and purple matching tankini set... So I got the green tankini set and tail.

I have their monofin Pro, tried it out in the pool last week, its so soft and floppy! It bends right where my toes are, so maybe a bit uncomfortable if you don't like the neoprene squashing your toes every time you swish your tail!

I have crammed in a pair of short bladed flippers in there, will go after I recover from this cold. And if I like it, I'll glue them on for the next swim!:lol:

In this video, you can kinda see the green color more clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFqd3mqm-Zg

Mermaid Galene
06-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Congrats, Irene! I measured my cut Finis Rapid yesterday, and it is the perfect size to fit into a FinFun tail. I want to get a pink one. Even if they're out of stock in my size now, I'm sure they'll have more soon.

Arejay
06-12-2014, 01:49 AM
They're quite pretty. The only issue might be the lack of custom sizing. How are their monofins? Ah. Never mind, found the answer in other threads. But here's another question: Anyone know the precise dimensions of the fluke with the monofin in? if I got one, I would prefer to use the cut Finis Rapid that I put in my other fabric tail.

They do offer custom sizing, it's more expensive. Go to their sizing chart and there's a link at the bottom for custom sizing.

Arejay
06-12-2014, 01:51 AM
Got my email letting me know it shipped and my tracking number; I'm soo excited!! To my more seasoned merfolk, is getting a tail always this exciting or is it just because it's my first?

Mermaid Jaffa
06-12-2014, 04:50 AM
I have 4... Two home made and two bought ones. All fabric and I got excited each time I finished or received my tails:lol:. So no, you're not the only one.

Arejay
06-13-2014, 03:55 PM
It's here! It's here!

Here's a really close shot of the detail. The sheen is from the fabric itself.

Arejay
06-13-2014, 03:57 PM
And a photo of the fin portion of the tail. Sorry they're not full photos I'm still at work. More photos to come later!

Mermaid Galene
06-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Got my tail last night. It's beautiful, but I'm sending it back for the next size up. According to their chart, I ordered correctly, but the tail is really tight on me. The fabric is stretched so thin you can see through it, and I fear it will wear out quickly. So I'll have to wait another week or so to swim in a FinFun tail!

Trade Winds
06-13-2014, 04:53 PM
That looks great!!!! I love how the fin looks realistic. I'll pass on ordering til I know how it holds up, tho. I don't want another repeat of the glitter/shine rubbing off.

Mermaid Jaffa
06-13-2014, 08:51 PM
That looks great!!!! I love how the fin looks realistic. I'll pass on ordering til I know how it holds up, tho. I don't want another repeat of the glitter/shine rubbing off.

Its digitally printed so it will last longer. Hm... I wonder if that new Finis Monofin will fit inside it.

A photo montage of my new tail.

Arejay
06-16-2014, 01:34 AM
Ok, just to update a few pictures of my 1st tail.217402174121742

Mermaid Jaffa
06-16-2014, 05:03 AM
Grats Arejay! It looks great!

Mermaid Galene
06-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Lovely tail, lovely mermaid!

Trade Winds
06-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Ewww, I don't think I like that color anymore. Looks good on their site but in actual pix I don't think it's right for me! Looks like I'm going for the blue. (Not saying your pix are bad!)

ylluria
06-17-2014, 02:00 AM
I need to order my first tail ever in the next few days, and I'm warring between these and one from The2Tails. I'm doing a custom order no matter who I go through, so right now my main concerns are overall look, durability, ease of use, fluke width (as a bigger girl needs a wider tail to balance out the wider hips), and monofin type. So far I like the kinder & prompter responses I've gotten from T2T (FFs responses "sound" a bit snippy to me), but T2Ts designs aren't half as nice as these Mermaidens ones from FF. Plus, T2T has the 2-pocket monofin, which scares me, ('cause I went through 2 monofins before finding the right size thanks to my 7.5 Wide feet). So I'm liking FF's uni-pocket design. Plus, these look WAY more detailed than anything I've seen elsewhere in fabric.

As for pricing, T2T actually -won't- charge me for a custom tail (just $10 more for the extra fabric), so it'll be $110, while these from FF in a custom -start- @ $89, and that's w/o the monofin. (Which I'll need to get, since my Finis is back home in storage still, across the country.) So that's a base cost of $140 right there, which also won't include the $5 elastic waist fee (something they say their curvier mermaids should get), the bikini I'm likely to get (so I have something to wear -under- my tail ;)),and neither include shipping.

So.. I guess after I call T2T tomorrow, I'll let y'all know which tail I order, and we'll see how it goes. :)

Trade Winds
06-17-2014, 08:14 AM
It's off topic, but I'll tell you what I think.

Aside from what I'm dealing with atm with Fin Fun, my main problem with them is the monofin is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too floppy for me. The designs are awesome and all, but I NEED a stiffer monofin that can actually move me. I do like the uni-pocket design of the monofin. It hasn't given many any blisters or other problems around my feet during my long excursions (only 2 atm) with it.

Contact with Fin Fun, I only got one email response yesterday, regarding this: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?8266-a-hole-in-my-tail-after-first-swim-!-! I tried calling them, but for some reason I couldn't hear well over the phone, they were only responding to emails yesterday. Probably won't get a chance to call today cuz of work. They said an order was processing to send me a new tail, BUT they didn't ask if to send it to the same address...which is vital to me, because I moved a couple weeks after my tail got shipped.

I agree 2Tails responded a lot faster. When I was looking at tails they got back to me in a few hours. However, their prices were higher for me, as I wear a size 11. Between paying $150 for a tail, or ~$100, I went with cheaper.

I ordered the magenta tailskin from Fin Fun yesterday, tho, cuz I really need a tail for this weekend (look at the other link for why). They ship pretty fast so hopefully it would make it in time. If not, idk. :|

Mermaid Galene
06-17-2014, 01:52 PM
I got my first tail from this seller on Etsy. It's really well made and with thicker performance fabric than my FinFun tail:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/OnceUponAMermaid

Mermaid Zaffiro
06-19-2014, 04:07 PM
They are pretty [emoji4]

Trade Winds
06-19-2014, 04:13 PM
My purple tail will be coming in today!!! I will post pix later. And Fin Fun sorted everything out btw, no more problems.

Mermaid Pickles
06-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Yaaay!

Trade Winds
06-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Tail is here! I didn't like the color on the site. Looks better in person. But I needed a tail, and it was the only one left in small, so I got it. I opened the package and literally the first thing I said was 'wow'. These new designs have some nice realism going on. The print really does look like raised fish scales. The fluke design, kinda reminds me of a watery design and doesn't strike me as a fishy design, but looks cool all the same. The material isn't as stretchy as the other tails (which is how I was able to fit into an xtra small without realizing it was the wrong size). This one I got on with a little difficulty and fear I might shred some seams, but the seams look like they are holding up just fine. (Oh wait...realized there is an easier way to put it on that won't make me fear such things.) There's no shimmer or glitter compared to the other designs either. The material also feels thinner (might be due to the lack of a backing).

Trade Winds
06-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Here is me wearing, and a comparison. Honestly, I still think the color is rather...well, sickly. But hey, looks realistic!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/7e5e6y2y.jpg

Yeah...didn't occur to me to straighten them out. You can see the non-existent backing on the purple compared to the green.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/20/ezu4emaz.jpg

Mermaid Galene
06-19-2014, 09:03 PM
I have the pink version of this tail, and it's not terribly different from the magenta. I'm surprised they have two models with such similar colors.

Trade Winds
06-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Yep, I noticed that too. It's a lot darker on the website. Irl, it looks like a sickly sorta dark pink.

Chrissy
06-21-2014, 05:02 PM
I got the Caribbean blue from them a while back!!! That tail holds up well, but sadly the color does fade, but that is to be expected!! I agree that the mono fin is super floppy but for my first one it was nice to play with!!

Trade Winds
06-22-2014, 08:52 PM
Ok, these new designs hold up sooooooooooo freaking well. I spent six hours wallowing around in a spring, playing on rocks, and getting muddy, and no fading, no color loss, nothing. Looks just like when I got it. Granted that's one swim, but in the other designs, such activity would eat at the sparkly stuff in a heartbeat. Such was the case with my ariel green bottoms I wore this weekend. Now they are graygreen everywhere but the front where they weren't abused (yes, abused). Now my green tail is pool and non-abusive situations (so I don't lose the colors), while the purple one is non-pool, crazy swimming situations (like above). The seahorsey approves.

MermaidBrandie
06-27-2014, 02:25 AM
I love the look of these new fabic tails, but i wonder if the mahina merfin would fit in them?

Mermaid Galene
06-28-2014, 05:21 PM
I've started on a fluke mod for my FinFun tail to hide the edges of my Finis Rapid monofin in there. That fin was cut originally for another fabric tail, but it also fits quite well in my new, pink tail. With a little dressing up, this tail is going to be awesome!

Princess Pearl
06-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Weird, the Aussie green one that Arejay got isn't on the site anymore.

Trade Winds
06-29-2014, 03:09 PM
I noticed that too. They were sold out of a lot of sizes a couple weeks ago, so maybe they took it off cuz they were sold out?

Mermaid Jaffa
06-30-2014, 05:29 AM
Hm. I thought the pink and purple were more popular colors, that's why I got the green cos I thought those would run out first.

@Mermaid Galene - Love that tail of yours! It almost looks red!

Mermaid Fenicia
06-30-2014, 06:35 AM
Green tail = Ariel ;) and kids love (to be) Ariel ;)

Mermaid Galene
06-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Yeah, it's actually a really nice mix of hot pink, magenta, coral, and orange. Makes it harmonize well with several different colors of accessories!

Princess Pearl
08-15-2014, 05:31 PM
I just got mine and I love it SO MUCH! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/arenezyh.jpg

I'm even more impressed by the fluke in person than I was on the website. It looks sort of glassy. I can't wait to try it in the water! But that means I'll have to take it off so I can actually get to the pool. It's quite the dilemma.

TaurielTheElementMerfairy
08-16-2014, 02:29 AM
Hi there everyone. I was thinking the same thing.
Cause I'm thinking if also buying a adult custom tail from them iin their new dark blue scale print with a matching bikini top and a light blue tankini top since my colors for right now are dark and light blue since I don't feel like showing my belly right now and plus I like the look on Raina's mermaids where they are wearing a tank and scarf but I'm not sure what color to get my scarf in since my colors are going to be like how I said above a and I don't know what kind of scarf they use or what store that is near me so I can buy my own to match my colors that I said above, so I'm going to need help finding that also as soon as you all can and as soon as you all read this.
Cause I'm also thinking if using it all as my practice outfit as well since I have never swim in a monofin before or a mermaid tail before and I can descide on them or mermaid Kat or MagicTail.de and I don't know what tail would be best to swim in for oceans seeing how when I can I would like to go to mer meets when I can.
I just need to know how to order it all so it all fits me and so I know the sizes for everything and what the shipping will be since I live in western Massachusetts but I don't know where the company is from and I have tried looking to find out but I couldn't find out where they are.
If anyone can help me get the right info for everything that I said above so I know how much everything is and what the shipping is for everything in custom adult sizes please let me know as soon as you can cause I don't even know how to order everything in adult sizes as soon as I know all of the info that I need.
I hope to hear from you all as soon as you all can about everything that I said above so I know what direction I should go to when I do have the money saved up for either tail that I said above.
:D :) :D :) :D :)

Mermaid Jaffa
08-16-2014, 04:16 AM
Here. You can find out about them in the "About Us" tab on their website.
Its really easy to order, and since you're in the states it probably take only a few days to deliver, whereas mine took about a week and a half to reach Australia.

http://www.finfunmermaid.com/

Princess Pearl
08-19-2014, 09:58 PM
I got some video of me swimming in my tail, so people can get a better idea of what it looks like. You can't see the actual scales in the under water video, but the fluke still looks really crisp.

http://youtu.be/EnyRR3kgeDE

Mermaid Galene
08-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Nice video! You look really happy and lovely. I love my FinFun tail, too! I do wish the fabric were a little thicker, so legs didn't show through when the tail is backlit. I got a pair of pink tights to try wearing under my pink tail, but I haven't tried them out yet. Hoping that will make the whole thing look less translucent.

Princess Pearl
08-20-2014, 12:19 PM
I was thinking of getting some nude swimsuit lining fabric and either making a slip or actually lining the tail itself. Tights wouldn't actually block any light from coming between the ankles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mermaid Galene
08-20-2014, 03:17 PM
True, but it's the same color as the body of the tail. One of these days I'll try it out with the tights and see how it looks.

Princess Pearl
08-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Oh I agree they'd hide your legs better. In my video you can actually see my bathing suit bottoms, which weirds me right out! If I was wearing tights the same colour as the tail, that wouldn't be an issue. But there's actually a gap between my ankles where light shines through. I don't think you can see it unless it's backlit, but it is there. Tights wouldn't fill in that gap

Mermaid Morgann
08-20-2014, 04:48 PM
The tail I've used while training up for a full silicone is one of the Mermaiden Fin Fun tails (I think that's what you're referencing?) I get a lot of compliments on it and other than it being slightly sheer and stretches from the fact that I've lost weight and no longer fit it well, it has held up wonderfully.

Mermaid Galene
08-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Merin, glad to know the FinFun tails last awhile!

In mine I'm actually using a modified Finis Rapid monofin instead of the FinFun monofin. I don't have the gap between my ankles, but the outline of the heel pockets and and straps is visible. I can really swim fast, though, which is harder to do in the FinFun monofin. I also dressed up my FinFun tail a bit with fringe fins and some extra fabric on the fluke.

Mermaid Morgann
08-20-2014, 05:36 PM
The Fin Fun monofins are floppier and even though they flow well underwater I do agree that they're not nearly as fast. Plus your feet slide around in the pockets which sometimes sets the fin crooked.

Mermaid Jaffa
08-20-2014, 10:48 PM
I broke my Fin Fun monofin 2 weeks ago... I under estimated the power of Poly Zap and ripped a chunk of fin out including the flipper I was trying to move! Ah well, at least it wasn't an expensive monofin.

Slee
08-27-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm in love with my rapid and adore my handmade tail, but contemplating a finfun just in case mine dies, as swimming in chlorinated pools tends to kill fabric. What I'm seeing here is that it looks like it'd fit, but I'd have to do something about the shape, either mod the fin (eek!) or mod the tail's fluke. hmmm... choices.

shimmygoddess
08-27-2014, 09:47 PM
I just posted some new pics I took the other day of my daughter (in the photoshoot thread). I just got the pink and blue funfun tail. They photograph really nicely.

Slee
08-27-2014, 10:35 PM
I really like the colors as shown in your pictures better than their pictures.

spottedcatfish
08-30-2014, 02:52 AM
I love that pink tail... hmm I wonder if it would go with a cut finis monofin??

shimmygoddess
08-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks Slee! I did edit in Photoshop ( I am a professional photographer :) It might work if you can cut it exactly. However the finis fins have a big bulgy foot pocket the the Finfun ones are alot smaller...not sure if it would look too bulky

Mermaid Jaffa
09-01-2014, 07:40 AM
You daughter is so daring! Wearing that netting and just two seashells!

Mermaid Wesley
09-01-2014, 01:12 PM
You daughter is so daring! Wearing that netting and just two seashells!

She's a little girl. I've seen kids that age run around topless at the beach as there's nothing to cover lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carolina Mermaid
09-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Overall, how does the monofin swim? I plan on making a new tail after merfest and I've been looking for an inexpensive monofin.

Slee
09-04-2014, 07:19 PM
You may also want to check swimoutlet.com . They have some excellent prices on monofins at the moment.

Slee
09-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm thinking of the rapid, not the aquarius.

Carolina Mermaid
09-04-2014, 09:53 PM
I just went and bought the rapid!

Princess Pearl
09-04-2014, 10:02 PM
The fin fun monofin is the only one I've ever used, so I don't have much to compare it with. However, I know I'm a much faster swimmer with it than without it. I attempted to use the tail without the fin one time, and the difference was huge. However, it does occasionally slide around. The rapid will probably be much easier to control.

Carolina Mermaid
09-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Thank you!

Rebekah.fish
09-04-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking of the rapid, not the aquarius.
I got my rapid from swim outlet. They're great to mod

catchan1980
10-24-2014, 08:54 PM
I think I'd like to get rhe Caribbean one. Or the Ariel green.

Princess Pearl
11-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Fin Fun is coming out with TAIL BAGS!!!

http://www.finfunmermaid.com/gift-ideas/tote-bags.html

I'm not too fond of most of the colours, but the blue one's pretty!

Mermaid Jaffa
11-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Why does the fluke tips have pockets?

Princess Pearl
11-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Poking around on the website, it looks like they have a slightly new design for the monofin- you can now buy new, stronger inserts and "tip covers." I wonder if that's what's showing up in the pictures

Mermaid Jaffa
11-03-2014, 09:54 PM
New monofins as in thicker ones? Or different cut or material?

Princess Pearl
11-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Quoting from the website:

Sometimes your monofin insert can break so we wanted to make it easy for you to replace it with our newer insert that is 2x stronger. Still, please be careful and be sure to watch our Monofin care instruction video to help it last as long as possible! We also recommend that you select the tip covers to protect your monofin from possible damage from the stronger monofin insert. (Note: Our tip covers are now included with each new monofin purchase.)

So, it looks to be the same shape, as it seems like it should fit not only the tails but also the neoprene cover. The difference is that the new piece of plastic that goes inside is "2x stronger," however they measure that.

Mermaid Jaffa
11-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Oh. I thought maybe they had a new shape, like a whale or dolphin.

Trade Winds
11-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Holy crap. The NEWEST tail designs. The black and the rainbow are to die for. Anyone else have a case of "need, now!!!"?

Mermaid Jaffa
11-17-2014, 07:14 PM
OMG! I MUST HAVE THEM!

Wait... That fluke... Nessie's tail?

Mermaid Aika
11-17-2014, 07:41 PM
At first I was so excited for the new designs, but after reading your post Jaffa... I wonder...
If it is a copy it is the second time this month that it has happened with Nessie's tail...

Mermaid Wesley
11-17-2014, 07:46 PM
http://halifaxmermaids.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/5/7/24579160/6682994_orig.jpg
hmmmmmmm.......
http://www.finfunmermaid.com/shop-mermaid-tails/mermaidens-collection/rainbow-reef-mermaid-tail.html
HMMMMMMMMMMMM

Mermaid Jaffa
11-17-2014, 07:53 PM
I don't mean to start anything, I just thought it looks very much like Nessie Tail.

Are tail colors copyrighted? I know designs are but not so sure about tail colors. Hard to draw a line over what makes "design" and "tail color". Its not one or the other right?

Oh I just wrote on Fin Fun fb page about the Rainbow Tail being another pro mermaid's tail, it suddenly went slow, I guess they saw it and deleted it straight away.

Starfrit
11-17-2014, 07:59 PM
... I really, REALLY want to give them the benefit of the doubt, as there are no real matching/copied details (rainbow scales and fluke aren't terribly difficult to come up with, so it could be argued that it's unique enough to be its own design), but I'll admit... There ARE similarities here to Nessie's tail that are leaving a REALLY bad taste in my mouth...

I know they got a lot of criticism for the "sample" design for their contest resembling Nessie's, and now suddenly they've come out with something that manages to look even closer to hers? Not sure I'm convinced that it's just coincidence. :/

Mermaid Jaffa
11-17-2014, 08:03 PM
... I really, REALLY want to give them the benefit of the doubt, as there are no real matching/copied details (rainbow scales and fluke aren't terribly difficult to come up with, so it could be argued that it's unique enough to be its own design), but I'll admit... There ARE similarities here to Nessie's tail that are leaving a REALLY bad taste in my mouth...

I know they got a lot of criticism for the "sample" design for their contest resembling Nessie's, and now suddenly they've come out with something that manages to look even closer to hers? Not sure I'm convinced that it's just coincidence. :/

You are pretty good with words. Can you ask them why there is a same tail as Nessie?

AniaR
11-17-2014, 08:06 PM
That was the German tail maker who used the sample that looks like Nessie's. This fluke like hers but what an ugly body

Starfrit
11-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Are tail colors copyrighted? I know designs are but not so sure about tail colors. Hard to draw a line over what makes "design" and "tail color". Its not one or the other right?

There's no such thing as a copyright on tail colors/designs. So, legally, there's nothing saying you can't just take a design and use it as your own. Doesn't necessarily mean it's ethical or tasteful within the art/mermaiding community. A lot of folks avoid doing it out of respect for the original designer.

Mermaid Jaffa
11-17-2014, 08:11 PM
I agree very ugly body for a tail. Kinda false advertising to me, I read the "Meet the mermaids" page. It says, "Get a tail like Serena's" but the image of the tail they had to go with her story is totally different to this rainbow tail. That was what I had wanted originally, but after seeing this other tail, I think I'll go for the red one instead.

Mermaid Wesley
11-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Yeah. I think it's kinda of an eyesore but I mean the rainbow colored scales and the striped rainbow fluke. Very Nessie. It's either a coincidence or quite rude. Side eyeing fin fun real hard

Starfrit
11-17-2014, 08:17 PM
You are pretty good with words. Can you ask them why there is a same tail as Nessie?

I could give it a shot, but I'm almost positive they'll feign ignorance or claim that it's just a coincidence. Unfortunately, there are enough differences in their design for them to claim it as a 100% original design with no inspiration from Nessie's and be able to get away with it. I'm not sure what could really be done, in this case. I'm not sure I trust them enough to take the design down out of respect for Nessie.

Once I'm able to get to a computer, I'll shoot them an inquiry to ask about it. In the meantime, if people want to send me links/screencaps to anything that could be used as evidence (the original tail design/s that looked like Nessie's, anything that may indicate that FinFun was aware of Nessie's tail, things like that), I'd like to pass it on to some people who know more about these sorts of cases to get some advice, and see if there's anything that we or Nessie or could do, or if we'll just have to drop the issue.

Sorry for the multiple posts/slow replies, I'm on my phone ATM. XD

AniaR
11-17-2014, 09:01 PM
theres nothing that can be done. it's just lame :(

Starfrit
11-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Yeah, that's basically the conclusion I've come to. :/ Unfortunately they aren't doing anything illegal, there's not enough evidence to claim it's anything more than coincidence and I'm worried that if anyone were to try and confront them or ask them about it will just lead to more drama than we really need.

AniaR
11-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Even with evidence... Nothing can be done

Trade Winds
11-18-2014, 06:24 AM
Hmmm, apparently I missed out on whoever Nessie is. I still want a rainbow anyway, but I would go for the black first. (O bby)

PearlieMae
11-18-2014, 11:43 AM
The body of the tail is the design of the fabric...they aren't doing anything to copy the body of Nessie's tail, while similar in some ways, it's largely coincidence. The chromatic rainbow of the fluke is materially different than Nessie's random striping.

You CAN copyright a design, it's just that to go after someone for stealing/copying it would take years to even get to court, thousands of dollars in legal fees, all to hear some judge say 'Gee, that's tough'. You can sue someone for anything. Whether or not you win is another matter altogether.

PS: I hope no one is surprised when they start seeing their tail designs, that were entered into that contest, start showing up for sale, with no renumeration to the original designers.

Talia
11-18-2014, 01:31 PM
I have great issues with people who steal designs, but I also think that people running a business don't have all the time in the world to peruse the internet, forums, facebook and the multiple sites where you can post pictures of yourself and your tail designs. No offense to anyone, but I don't think I had seen Nessie's tail until Raina mentioned her in the Magictail contest thread. I think a rainbow fluke is something many people can think of - you either put the red on the edges or in the middle, and work from there.

Also, I had wondered many times why there weren't tails in red and black. I mean, Magictail already has the orange, the yellow-green, the soft green/turquoise and the blue. Red was the only primary color that was left; and with the popular orange and the goldfish association, red (and white) are the next combinations one thinks of. There are even black goldfish. I feel very tempted by the black tail myself...

MerEmma
11-18-2014, 01:58 PM
The first thing that popped into my head was the Flash of Red tail offered by Aquatails. http://www.aquatails.com/mermaid-tail-colors

Mermaid Jaffa
11-18-2014, 07:07 PM
I like the red and black tails but not the monofin. I tried it on Monday, its too flimsy for me, I may have another attempt to fix it up for extra propulsion but that's as far as it goes.

Mermaid Nessie
12-06-2014, 01:49 AM
So, I had no clue this tail existed until about a week ago. It's frustrating. There were a few entries in the MagicTail contest as well that straight up copied the backside of my tail.

Mermaid Jaffa
12-06-2014, 05:49 AM
So, I had no clue this tail existed until about a week ago. It's frustrating. There were a few entries in the MagicTail contest as well that straight up copied the backside of my tail.

Have you emailed them about it?

MermaidBrandie
12-06-2014, 02:24 PM
I love love love finfun's spandex mermaidens tail skins. I hate they're monofins. -.-

Mermaid Jaffa
12-06-2014, 06:56 PM
I love love love finfun's spandex mermaidens tail skins. I hate they're monofins. -.-

Me too! I want to buy another tail set w/o monofins but my currently only touched water once!

Talia
12-19-2014, 04:00 PM
I am going to receive one of the new FinFun tail skins as a gift for Christmas - the black one. As soon as I have it I will post pictures.

I am curious to see if it will fit my Magictail monofin. Has anyone tried to put the Magictail monofin on a FinFun tail skin?

Mermaid Jaffa
12-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Not me. It looks like a different shape to Fin Fun monofin.

The new monofin by Cape Byron sports looks like it will fit into the Fin Fun tails and maybe Magictail. But I'm not sure, just a guess. They only go up to a size 6 ladies shoe.

Also, if you manage to get it to fit inside the Fin Fun tail, please make a video, include the good and bad like you did the magictail monofin review.

Talia
01-07-2015, 09:22 AM
The FinFun skin arrived, and it is gorgeous! I will post pics (I got it yesterday), and I will definitely make a video soon.

Jaffa, the Magictail monofin FITS inside the FinFun skin! It was the first thing I tried, and it works. I'm happy I don't have to buy an extra monofin!

Mermaid Jaffa
01-07-2015, 10:33 AM
The FinFun skin arrived, and it is gorgeous! I will post pics (I got it yesterday), and I will definitely make a video soon.

Jaffa, the Magictail monofin FITS inside the FinFun skin! It was the first thing I tried, and it works. I'm happy I don't have to buy an extra monofin!

Yay! And you know what? The Fin Fun monofin fits inside the Magictail too!

Talia
01-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Yay! And you know what? The Fin Fun monofin fits inside the Magictail too!

:dance: I am happy we have the option of buying from different sellers. I really want the Celtic green tail from FinFun too.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-07-2015, 06:37 PM
:dance: I am happy we have the option of buying from different sellers. I really want the Celtic green tail from FinFun too.

Yep. Its only a tiny bit smaller across the widest edge of the monofin. From fluke tip to fluke tip. But inside the tail, its not really that noticeable.

Talia
01-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Here is the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdCZOSSEUwU&feature=youtu.be