PDA

View Full Version : New Adult Mermaid Monofin

lynsea
06-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Looks like Mermaid Kariel and Finis have teamed up to make an adult version of their mermaid monofin!

Not sure about the construction obviously, but what a price! $59.99 seems like a deal to me considering!

http://www.mermaidkariel.com/shop.html#!/~/product/category=8332027&id=37248710

ShyMer
06-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Oog, the spelling:/
I feel like if I were in the market for a new fin, I'd be totally turned off by the misspellings. It doesn't really inspire confidence in the seller.
I am a little surprised by the fin shape; it isn't the usual mermaid fin shape, but I think it's okay. I bet you could easily shape it however you like. She claims it has good propulsion, but I can't tell from the pictures. I wish I knew more information about it.
Also I didn't see- did she specifically say it was made by FINIS?

Sent from my Huawei-H867G using Tapatalk

AniaR
06-09-2014, 07:29 PM
I dont think she made it- Finis did it on their own, they contacted her and Hannah to test and rep the new product and I know from talking to other tail makers they have reached out to most of the tail makers and given them samples.

Kariel has a learning disability which she's very open about. She often has trouble on the pages she runs with those issues. I've tried to help her but people get over protective. I had her mom chew me out once for trying to politely correct some of Kariel's stuff lol

I've seen the box it comes in, Raven sent me pics. It IS Finis. It has Kariel and Hannah on the box!

Cordelia
06-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Raina. I think I remember reading about that somewhere else, too. I wonder if you get better propulsion with the fin because it curves out instead of in. I don't think I would jump on buying one just yet (I have a fin that I already use in my current tail - as well as the new one I'm working on). But I could definitely see the shape inspiring a new crop of tails! ^^

BayouMermaid
06-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Another pic showing a comparison

MerEmma
06-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Wow, so it's not all that big either. I'm not really fond of the shape, but I think it's pretty cool that Raven bought one to try out (presuming from what Raina said anyway). I look forward to seeing more about it!

AniaR
06-09-2014, 10:36 PM
No finis sent them to tail makers for free

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

jukumerboii
06-10-2014, 01:57 AM
I....think.....I'm going to buy it! Its not your average mermaid fin shape. Its also exciting to see a mershape monofin in my SIZE!! Lol😃

ShyMer
06-10-2014, 03:07 AM
Ah, I don't follow kariel, so that's good to know. Thank you for the clarification.

Now that I'm on my tablet, I can see the fin much better. I look forward to seeing it in action!

Mermaid Jaffa
06-10-2014, 05:05 AM
Looks fun! Is it just me or does the right fluke tip have a more shallow curve than the other side?

Side note, I am suddenly imagining demonic flukes! What with the new shape of the monofin!

Is it possible to find out more about it like what kind of material is it made from? Is it separate foot pockets?

Mermaid Galene
06-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Yes, I wonder about the footpockets, too. They say it fits "female shoe size 5-11," which is an awfully big range. I wonder if it could really be comfortable for all those different feet!

AniaR
06-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Just diff sizes not one fits all

Mermaid Galene
06-10-2014, 11:07 AM
I tried putting one in their shopping cart, just to see, and it didn't gave any way to specify size. Hmm.

Kamanaka
06-10-2014, 11:13 AM
It looks like it has one adjustable strap at the heels like the mermaid kids fin, maybe it is one size fits all? I remember reading bad reviews on the kids one and that it snaps so easily, will be interesting to see the reviews on this :-)

selkie13
06-10-2014, 12:24 PM
They don't sell them to Europe!!! I almost have tears in my eyes!
Guess I need to go on holiday to the USA buy one and take it back with me ;P

Mermaid Jaffa
06-11-2014, 04:42 AM
And what's with the holes in the monofin blade? Is it for looks, or does it make you go faster?

AniaR
06-11-2014, 08:21 AM
you saw bad reviews? it was like literally just launched... I am very surprised people have had time already to review it! lol

BayouMermaid
06-11-2014, 08:26 AM
you saw bad reviews? it was like literally just launched... I am very surprised people have had time already to review it! lol

On the kids mermaid fin, which seems to have a similar strap configuration as the aquarius.

Kamanaka
06-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Yep the kids mermaid one gets bad reviews on the blade snapping and the such like, the Aquarius might be completely different in the materials they use, will be good to see the tail maker reviews!!

Spindrift
06-11-2014, 09:43 AM
If anyone gets one/has one, can they post a size comparison with a FINIS Competitor?

PearlieMae
06-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Chances are some were released prior to the launch...probably weren't expecting bad reviews, though!

AniaR
06-11-2014, 10:51 AM
I've got Kariel on my personal profile and I have been following this, I just find that hard to believe/understand. They only just recently even shot the photos for the box and I think it was only tail makers who got the monofin first. I'd probably wait til people who use monofins anyway start reviewing I guess. I feel like I've been following the behind the scenes on this so I guess that timeline for me just doesnt make sense. Oh well.

Kishiko
06-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I've got Kariel on my personal profile and I have been following this, I just find that hard to believe/understand. They only just recently even shot the photos for the box and I think it was only tail makers who got the monofin first. I'd probably wait til people who use monofins anyway start reviewing I guess. I feel like I've been following the behind the scenes on this so I guess that timeline for me just doesnt make sense. Oh well.

She was talking about reviews on the kids fin, no the adult! I dont think anyone has reviewed the adult fin yet.

AniaR
06-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Ohhhhh

Forrest
06-11-2014, 11:17 PM
I just ordered one to keep myself patient while I pay off my custom monofin. I am excited to see how it works!

Green Tea Mermaid
06-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Forrest let us know how you like it. I am interested in getting one, but I am wanting to see how people like it first.

Mermaid Jaffa
06-12-2014, 04:43 AM
I would so switch over to this instead of my Wave, if it was made of the same type of material but with a softer blade. Currently having trouble with it as I'm already so floaty, most of my dolphin kicks end up in the air!

Oh, saw this on the Finis Website.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2qnestgg3ltlc7/AQUARIUS-TS.pdf

A reply about the material...

"The Aquarius is made from the same material as the Mermaid Fin- Polypropylene blade with thermo plastic rubber foot pocket."

Now then I don't know what type of plastic that is. Is it lexan or same as the Wave?

The fin softness...
"As for the video I will forward this request to marketing but in the meantime maybe forward the images on the server as some do show the flex of the blades."

I can only see two images, the blue fin and the pink. Where are these other images? Anybody else find any yet apart from Mermaid Kariel's current photos?

Forrest
06-15-2014, 09:43 PM
One thing that's a little worrisome is there is no way to track the shipment process. It gives a link and conformation number in the email, but the link is broken and it doesn't say which service is used. I have no doubt that it will get to me, I just know I like to keep track of when that is haha. Especially because the shipping alone cost $15.00, plus tax.

Josephine Boone
06-27-2014, 01:23 AM
I am interested in the Aquarius too, but would like to see how y'all like it before I decide. Forrest, any news on the shipping? Jukumerboii, did you order one?

Forrest
06-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Hey everyone! I ended up emailing them and they got back to me right away letting me know there had been a mistake and my order had been forgotten (whoops!). They sent it out that day with express shipping and it came in right before I left for a trip. Once I got back I pulled it on and went in the pool!

It swims really nicely, however if you are size US woman's 8, your feet can still end up a little squished around the smaller toes. Maybe it is because of my arches being messed up, but the strap comes off of my heel when I try to do more powerful strokes. I am likely going to mod it so there is another strap that comes over my ankle and the top of my foot to fix that problem.

The fin itself is softer than I expected, bending easily to fit into my fabric tail. It flows really nicely while still being able to propel me pretty far, the only issue is, as mentioned before, the strap coming off of my heel.

Altogether, considering this is my first monofin, I am not too impressed but neither am I disappointed. It was worth the money, I just have to fix the one issue.

Mermaid Jaffa
07-01-2014, 05:48 AM
Waiting for someone to do a video review.

Josephine Boone
07-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Hey everyone! I ended up emailing them and they got back to me right away letting me know there had been a mistake and my order had been forgotten (whoops!). They sent it out that day with express shipping and it came in right before I left for a trip. Once I got back I pulled it on and went in the pool!

It swims really nicely, however if you are size US woman's 8, your feet can still end up a little squished around the smaller toes. Maybe it is because of my arches being messed up, but the strap comes off of my heel when I try to do more powerful strokes. I am likely going to mod it so there is another strap that comes over my ankle and the top of my foot to fix that problem.

The fin itself is softer than I expected, bending easily to fit into my fabric tail. It flows really nicely while still being able to propel me pretty far, the only issue is, as mentioned before, the strap coming off of my heel.

Altogether, considering this is my first monofin, I am not too impressed but neither am I disappointed. It was worth the money, I just have to fix the one issue.

Wow, thank you for all the information! I do wear women's 8, so might have to go with one of the other models so I have room for cushioning for my tender toesies. :/ I am glad Finis now has several options at the same price point.

Fifi Tigg
07-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Here's a Mahina fin in action :) http://youtu.be/9vkWYhkrb_0
As I've said on the other Mahina thread I own about six of these fins and they are fantastic! Flow in the water really well, easy to put on, but neoprene booties are a must!

Mermaid Jaffa
08-17-2014, 11:48 PM
I found a review!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCOMeLhSiF0

The Harlem Mermaid
09-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Hi BayouMermaid (http://mernetwork.com/index/member.php?2617-BayouMermaid) I so want to purchase wave mono per cut monofin like the yellow one shown here . where can i get that one please?

Mermaid Jaffa
09-11-2014, 12:05 AM
The only yellow ones I know of are the Finis monofins. I know some of the fabric tail makers sell them separately.

The Harlem Mermaid
09-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Hi ireneho (http://mernetwork.com/index/member.php?3271-ireneho) thanks for replying, i went to Mermaid Kariel Store and she has them im so thrilled but would like to know which fabric tail makers sell them please to have more options . thank you very much, need to get it asap for mermaid wedding tail :)

Mermaid Jaffa
09-11-2014, 01:56 AM
The fabric tail makers have slightly different cuts, some are deeper where the pointy bit in the V of the monofin, some are shallow. You just got to have a look yourself which style of cut or monofin you want. I did a search, Swimmable mermaid tails, it came up with kids in tails but some of them do make for adults or can be custom made.

Mermaid Freyja
10-11-2014, 10:45 PM
I just received my Mahina monofin today. I love it!
The sizing is perfect for this tall girl (5'10" with size 9.5-10 feet).
The seller on Ebay I ordered from is here: http://stores.ebay.com/Gifts-And-Plush-Toys?_dmd=1&_nkw=mahina (http://stores.ebay.com/Gifts-And-Plush-Toys?_dmd=1&_nkw=mahina)

originally I'd ordered a turquoise fin, but they were sold out and they offered me the Sunset orange.
They list the range for 8.5-10.5 women's shoe size as an "XL" in their listings and only orange in the XL.
I'm a pretty true 10 and this fin is perfect. I don't trust the Urban Outfitters sizing.
Pin Up monofin mermaid!:

Mermaid Jaffa
10-11-2014, 11:39 PM
I just received my Mahina monofin today. I love it!
The sizing is perfect for this tall girl (5'10" with size 9.5-10 feet).
The seller on Ebay I ordered from is here: http://stores.ebay.com/Gifts-And-Plush-Toys?_dmd=1&_nkw=mahina (http://stores.ebay.com/Gifts-And-Plush-Toys?_dmd=1&_nkw=mahina)

originally I'd ordered a turquoise fin, but they were sold out and they offered me the Sunset orange.
They list the range for 8.5-10.5 women's shoe size as an "XL" in their listings and only orange in the XL.
I'm a pretty true 10 and this fin is perfect. I don't trust the Urban Outfitters sizing.
Pin Up monofin mermaid!:

Yay for orange!

I couldn't get the tips on mine to flatten so I left it as it is. Mine is so curly whirly, it does give it some personality I think.;)

Mermaid Freyja
10-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Yay for orange!

I couldn't get the tips on mine to flatten so I left it as it is. Mine is so curly whirly, it does give it some personality I think.;)

Haha! Yeah, as you can see the tips on mine are also curly, but they have so much attitude ;)
I imagine they will relax a bit, especially if I let it lie flat in the sun for a short spell.
xoxo

MermaidSidian
10-13-2014, 11:51 AM
link doesn't go anywhere and says that the website no longer exists.. maybe its just my computer?

Vrindavana Starfish
10-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Here's a Mahina fin in action :) http://youtu.be/9vkWYhkrb_0
As I've said on the other Mahina thread I own about six of these fins and they are fantastic! Flow in the water really well, easy to put on, but neoprene booties are a must!
I love the Mahina video! Really love how the fabric tail flows over the fin so the fin still shows. I was wondering how I'd do that myself, since this will probably be my first tale. Thanks for sharing!

Mermaid Freyja
10-13-2014, 12:50 PM
I was able to get my Mahina fin to uncurl at the ends yesterday. All it took was a few hours lying flat in the sun :)
Definitely planning to make a really flowy fabric tail to go over it. My only issue now is having to decide on color, there are so many choices! :p
xoxo