PDA

View Full Version : a hole in my tail after first swim?!?!

Trade Winds
06-15-2014, 02:55 PM
I got my Fin Fun tail in March but my first swim in it was today, and after about an hour of swimming in a lake, I found a hole about the size of a quarter along the seams, on the upper part of the tail. I have worn it to try it on and that one time to check it out in the tub, but that's it. I emailed Fin Fun to see if they could do anything (even tho the 30 day warrenty is up). For now, idk what to do?! I have a mermeet this weekend and am desperate to have my tail. I could sew it but then if Fin Fun wants it returned they would see it was sewed and that kinda defeats the purpose of sending it back. So...am a bit stressed right now.

I would post pix but I am literally sitting in my car right after my swim, posting this with various negative emotions.

What kind of thread should I use if I do sew it? Anyone else have this prob with Fin Fun? (Altho I wonder if ordering a size up would have helped. It fits fine, but maybe there wouldn't be so much stress on the seams?)

BayouMermaid
06-15-2014, 03:56 PM
If it's on a seam, you are lucky because it is easily fixed. When I made my tail, I sewed the seams twice to make sure it was strong. I just used regular sewing thead, the most common kind. I would use a two step or three step stitch (the kind for stretchy fabrics) if you are using a machine to sew. If not, a seamstress should be able to fix it for you for about $5. Your local sewing store probably has business cards for local seamstresses. It will be ok.

Mermaid Galene
06-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Yes, if the threads holding the seam together have just come apart, that's really easy to fix and you shouldn't have to send the tail back. Just sew it up with polyester thread, and go over your stitch several times. If the hole is NEXT to the seam and in the fabric itself, you should send it back. I sent my FinFun tail back right after I received it. Even though I'd ordered the size their sizing guide recommended, I felt the fabric was stretched too thin when I had it on. So I'm awaiting the next size up. I think perhaps FinFun overestimated on their sizing.

Trade Winds
06-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks. I was really freaking out. It was the thread that came undone, so I think I can save it easily enough. It is right under the inner tag and not as horrible as I thought.

Sent from my LG-D520 using Tapatalk

Mermaid Galene
06-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Glad to hear it!

Trade Winds
06-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Wait a second...I just realized they sent me the wrong size!!! I ordered a small and now I see the tag says WXS. That would explain why the seams hate me!

Mermaid Galene
06-15-2014, 05:51 PM
It sure would! I just exchanged my WXS for a WS, and they said they only had 7 left in stock (now 6). So you should contact them right away!

Trade Winds
06-15-2014, 05:59 PM
I just did! (I would show the pic of the tag and hole next to it, but my phone won't cooperate.) I just hope I can either salvage this tail for this weekend's meet, or somehow rush a tail from Fin Fun.

Trade Winds
06-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Fin Fun says: I apologize that you were sent the incorrect size. We will over look the warranty time on this tail since we did send you the incorrect size. A new order is processing to have the correct tail size sent to you. We ask that you please return the Ariel Green Tail size WXS back to the address located on the bottom of the return form.

edit: they just called me so I think this will be solved easily!

Kaila Mermaid
06-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Oh goodness that's awful! I'm glad they're being so cooperative.

Mermaid Jaffa
06-18-2014, 04:42 AM
Fin Fun have great customer service. My previous order before the tail one, they sent two tops instead of pink bikini set. I got to keep the extra top and they sent matching mer panties free of charge, with $10 refund because of the pants and top difference.

Trade Winds
06-18-2014, 08:24 AM
It's been sorted out (thru phone calls). I just had to pay extra for faster shipping since I need the tail by this weekend. As long as USPS isn't dumb about it, both tails (I got one of the new purple ones during my paranoia lol) will be here Thursday.

Chrissy
06-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Fin fun are very nice people!!! Glad you got it sorted out!!! I love my fin fun tail!!!