PDA

View Full Version : Shark Week commercial with a mermaid

Theta
06-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Has anyone seen this one yet? I was like, who made the tail, who made the tail... but it looks like no one made the tail (fluke looks cgi'ed. Bummer!) But it's still dorky fun.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=874448982569273&set=vb.135180579829454&type=3&theater

Aziara
06-24-2014, 12:59 PM
can't get a good enough look at the fluke to see if it's real or not.....

Mermaid Evolet
06-24-2014, 01:16 PM
I think this is a mertailor tail with the "pirate" fluke style... but thats just my opinion

Still this is kinda funny :shark:

Sephina
06-24-2014, 02:02 PM
I feel if it were a mertailor, he'd be posting about it everywhere.

Theta
06-24-2014, 02:04 PM
I think this is a mertailor tail with the "pirate" fluke style... but thats just my opinion

Still this is kinda funny :shark:

I think you're right. When I looked at it before it looked very rounded at the tips, but I think they were just flopped over towards the back (I forget how floppy his flukes are.) Def his color style though :)

Mermaid Evolet
06-24-2014, 02:29 PM
It looks kinda like this one

MerEmma
06-24-2014, 06:05 PM
REALLY resembles Mertailor--they probably looked at his tails before making the CGI for it, haha.

Lily
06-24-2014, 06:29 PM
I've been spending too much time on reddit (trollx, specifically) and was really confused when this commercial turned out to be about ACTUAL Shark Week.

The scales look like real silicone to me but I think the fluke is CGI, since it seems to move.

Cordelia
06-24-2014, 06:56 PM
That necklace! /want :D

AniaR
06-24-2014, 07:22 PM
It really looked like mertailors at first, those scales reallly did. but then they def animated over top of it, like vectored. I wonder

AniaR
06-24-2014, 07:28 PM
lol I went ahead and Asked them. they did make it, but they did cgi too.

lynsea
06-24-2014, 09:28 PM
It's a mertailor tail and he is posting about it everywhere... no shock there.

Fun123joker
06-24-2014, 09:29 PM

these are the best shots i can get. i feel like they are trying to hide the fluke.
The fluke is too round to look like his
but

the pelvis seems to have that transition from tail to skin. Now alot of people do that but thats the first thing i notice on a mertailor tail.
PLUS
remember when eric was on my strange addiction on TLC. TLC is a discovery channel so why order a tail from someone else
once i laerned if you want to figure somthing out, try using logic.

but why would they use cgi on the tail? i mean they are already animating the sharks why spend time on a perfectly good tail (?)

Fun123joker
06-24-2014, 09:31 PM
I feel if it were a mertailor, he'd be posting about it everywhere.

^ This

MerEmma
06-24-2014, 09:40 PM
He just posted about it on FB, his tail. We beat him to it!!

AniaR
06-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Wow kinda rude there fun123joker. Try using logic?? That's exactly what people did. Then I asked him to confirm. They CGI the heck its reasonable for people to not be sure and they didn't say anything publicly til I brought it to their attention. So dial it back.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Meilyn
06-25-2014, 05:39 AM

these are the best shots i can get. i feel like they are trying to hide the fluke.
The fluke is too round to look like his
but

the pelvis seems to have that transition from tail to skin. Now alot of people do that but thats the first thing i notice on a mertailor tail.
PLUS
remember when eric was on my strange addiction on TLC. TLC is a discovery channel so why order a tail from someone else
once i laerned if you want to figure somthing out, try using logic.

but why would they use cgi on the tail? i mean they are already animating the sharks why spend time on a perfectly good tail (?)

I was actually a background character for a few TLC shows, they really don't care who makes what and more so, the "My Strange Addiction" thing.... They use more for entertainment, not for prop rentals and they don't really take those people too seriously to be honest.

Eric's a COMMERCIAL tail maker. He probably got hired to make that tail specially just because his output is massive compared to other tail maker's who are still mostly unknown to the public.

Fun story, during a shooting with the TLC crew for a show, I learned how to properly smoke crack/heroine. And do other various drugs. (I was casted as an 80's druggie) Small role but it got me screen time I was told :) by the end of the day shoot, the entire building smelled like burnt cotton candy cause we used rock candy as crack for the show.