PDA

View Full Version : Tankini Top Decorating?

Nomie
06-25-2014, 01:29 PM
So I was wondering would just buying a regular tankini top and then decorating it to look mermaid-ish be a good idea? I'm not that good at sewing by hand & I don't have a sewing machine so making a top by hand can't really happen. Also I waould like to do a tankini because of my belly and don't think it would be pretty to leave that out. So I was just wondering if I can do this, how I would also go about decorating it?

Raayvhen
06-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Fishnetting, greenery, small shells, sequins, rhinestones, the possibilities are endless.

GreenAsSin
06-28-2014, 07:04 PM
You could probably decorate it the same way you'd decorate a bra or a bikini top, you just have a larger area to cover. Netting draped over the stomach section would be easy to attach things to either with glue or knots, so that could be a way around doing a lot of sewing.

Nomie
06-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks, the netting sounds like a good idea for covering the larger area and putting things on it. Thanks again :)

AmbrGlows
07-10-2014, 12:54 AM
How is your tankini coming along Nomie? I'm trying to figure out how I want to make my top as I don't like to show a lot of my gut. It's big & It's far paler than my arms and even my legs since I never go with it uncovered.

Nomie
07-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Well right now I am trying to find a tankini top that looks sort of mermaid-ish but isn't skinny mini size or too skin tight and that I'm thinking of doing some netting and mybe some small seashells. I just want to make something that is nice but functional with not showing my belly.

PearlieMae
07-10-2014, 04:30 PM
I made this with a bra and a piece of fabric that covers my belly...shell, pearls, beads, sequins, every little bit of junk I could lay my hands on...and glued everything down. First I used silicone caulk as an adhesive, but some bits started falling off, so I switched over to E6000.

Now, It has been in the water, but not for very long, so I can't attest to its durability. But it has seen me through two parades... I'm thinking of adding netting over the whole thing, so my back is actually exposed (except for the netting).

Just throwing that out there for ya!

Seraphina Suds
07-10-2014, 05:00 PM
That's incredible!

Mermaid Galene
07-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Such a cool belly shield, Pearlie! And if any harpoons come at ya, they'll ounce right off. :thumbs up:

PearlieMae
07-10-2014, 07:43 PM
I just call it a bodice, even though it's more of a chest apron. The bra was a fabulous find, because I'm just a B cup and this makes my bewbies look huge!

Mermaid Galene
07-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Win win!

TaurielTheElementMerfairy
08-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone. I'm wondering the same thing. I'm a newbie mer who doesn't have her tail yet but I'm hoping to as soon as I can and have the money saved up for it.
Cause when I can and I have the money saved up I'm going to be getting a Fin Fun Mermaid tail bikini top and tankini top in my favorite colors and I would like to find a nice tankini top so I can decorate it with some silicone starfish that matches my tail and some fishnet pearls seashells and anything else that you normally decorate a mermaid bra with and I can't sew and don't have a sewing machine either.
I don't like the idea of showing my belly to the kids when I'm a professional mer and I have seen Raina's mers wearing tankini's and I like the look but I would like to make it look like a mermaid starfish bra top in both of the colors that matches the Fin Fun Mermaid tail that I like in my favorite color and my top idea would have everything that I said above in both of the tail colors that I like.
If you know everything that I would need so I can make my own mer tankini top like how I said above please let me know as soon as you can and please let me know where I can find everything that I would need so I can make it like how I said above and so it won't cost me a lot of money to get and make since I'm on ssd.
:D :) :D :) :D :)

Mermaid Jaffa
08-14-2014, 11:35 PM

That is a very gorgeous piece PearlieMae! Is it heavy? Do you swim in it too?

Raayvhen
08-15-2014, 12:01 AM
I think the pearls and the starfish are my favorite part of your top Pearlie.