PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid hair colors

MermaidIndie
06-26-2014, 12:46 AM
So in the next few days I will be dying my hair but I really want it to be mermaid like so I was thinking about blue, or greenish blue. My hair is a coppery color right now because it was red. What colors are good for mermaid hair

GreenAsSin
06-26-2014, 01:27 AM
Welp, considering mermaids are mythological creatures I think it's pretty plausible for them to have any kind of hair color. Personally I'm really fond of the idea of mermaids with hair the matches the color of their tail. Disney's The Little Mermaid will have popularized redheaded mers and most movies I've seen have them all with natural hair colors like blond and black hair. Having mers with unnatural hair colors is really interesting and kind of refreshing to me.

Blues and greens would be a good fit for them I think, particularly if you're thinking along the water camouflage lines. Plus they're just very appealing colors. People tend to find colorful hair a point of interest, especially young kids. I currently have a sort of mishmash of pinkish purples in my hair right now and I'm constantly getting less than subtle stares and exclamations from little kids and it's pretty damn amusing. Parents and adults could go either way on it but everyone that's made comments about my hair over the years has been nothing but positive. Pair that with a lovely tail and I doubt too many people would be opposed to it.

The only thing with blues and greens I have found is that they fade pretty quickly, especially if chlorine is involved. I spent a few hours in chlorinated water earlier this year and almost all of the green was washed right out of my hair because of it, so that's something to keep in mind. It's going to be more upkeep required because of the color on top of trying to avoid normal chlorine damage. You'll probably be re-dying it relatively regularly depending on how much you plan on being in pools and how saturated you want the color to stay. After the initial dye you won't have to bleach it or anything so you can just keep throwing color on top of the fading stuff but it'll still be a bit of a time sink. Dyes also do some damage to hair so you're going to have to deal with that as well as chlorine damage.

Meilyn
06-26-2014, 04:09 AM
Welp, considering mermaids are mythological creatures I think it's pretty plausible for them to have any kind of hair color. Personally I'm really fond of the idea of mermaids with hair the matches the color of their tail. Disney's The Little Mermaid will have popularized redheaded mers and most movies I've seen have them all with natural hair colors like blond and black hair. Having mers with unnatural hair colors is really interesting and kind of refreshing to me.

Blues and greens would be a good fit for them I think, particularly if you're thinking along the water camouflage lines. Plus they're just very appealing colors. People tend to find colorful hair a point of interest, especially young kids. I currently have a sort of mishmash of pinkish purples in my hair right now and I'm constantly getting less than subtle stares and exclamations from little kids and it's pretty damn amusing. Parents and adults could go either way on it but everyone that's made comments about my hair over the years has been nothing but positive. Pair that with a lovely tail and I doubt too many people would be opposed to it.

The only thing with blues and greens I have found is that they fade pretty quickly, especially if chlorine is involved. I spent a few hours in chlorinated water earlier this year and almost all of the green was washed right out of my hair because of it, so that's something to keep in mind. It's going to be more upkeep required because of the color on top of trying to avoid normal chlorine damage. You'll probably be re-dying it relatively regularly depending on how much you plan on being in pools and how saturated you want the color to stay. After the initial dye you won't have to bleach it or anything so you can just keep throwing color on top of the fading stuff but it'll still be a bit of a time sink. Dyes also do some damage to hair so you're going to have to deal with that as well as chlorine damage.

This was really informative! Thank you! Kinda makes me want to tip the ends of my hair blue/green or maybe red/gold...

Mermaid Jessica Pearl
06-26-2014, 04:53 AM
I have blue hair and I have just had to chop it all off because the chlorine and bleached hair don't mix! It complete fried it so beware!

Chrissy
06-26-2014, 08:24 AM
I say go with whatever color hair makes you the happiest, but be aware that chlorine might strip the door out pretty quick!!

AniaR
06-26-2014, 09:08 AM
if you wanna talk logistically ... because I am in the water so much (chlorine) my hair keeps getting stripped. I do all the right things to keep it healthy but the fact is, when you're in that much with your hair exposed, it doesn't matter what you do. My normal hair color gets stripped to yellow/blond. So I started semi permanent dying my hair a brighter shade than what it is. Now when it strips it it tends to look ombre all the way down. Which helps me get away a bit longer in between hair sessions. The only thing is I always get the whole "ariel?" thing. If you're going to dye your hair a funky color that requires bleaching first, be aware that it's very tricky if you're going to be in chlorine a lot. When my hair was bleached I swam in an overshocked pool at the end of 2011 and my hair fell out. It has taken it this long to grow it back.

Mermaid Jessica Pearl
06-26-2014, 01:14 PM
My hair literally melted and snapped off. I usually swim in sea water. Just a couple of swims in chlorine was enough to completely wreck it :( so upset about having lost a lot of my long Mermaid hair but I do enjoy having blue hair. It feels like me. You have just got to be really careful with it.

MermaidIndie
06-26-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't usually swim in chlorine, normally it's the ocean or In a lake. My natural hair color is an ash blonde so I don't think I would have to bleach it, hopefully. Thanks for all the great advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MermaidIndie
06-26-2014, 08:19 PM
So I found this color http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/27/udu6aden.jpg

Chrissy
06-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Those colors are amazing!!!

Lucinda
06-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Those colours would make Aquamarine jealous. Impressive dye job, MermaidIndie.

MermaidIndie
06-27-2014, 02:27 PM
I haven't been able to dye my hair yet this is just the colors i want to use. I'll post pictures when I dye it though! I hope mine comes out that well

Vixy
07-02-2014, 04:36 PM
I adored my hair when I had it bright red and blue, the red stripped away pretty fast first to orange then to pink and lastly to blonde. But the blue remained for quite a while before turning a nice silver colour.

SummerRogue
01-02-2015, 09:51 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/02/26a2501dd98e39d41a22370f8b42de89.jpg this is my hair currently and I do have to say it looks so much better underwater [emoji4]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Mermaid Jaffa
01-02-2015, 05:48 PM
I envy you blonde/light haired mers! My natural color is black with streaks of white. Bright colors don't work on my hair.

SummerRogue
01-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Mine is usually really dark so I had to bleach it twice before the colour would take

Mermaid Jaffa
01-02-2015, 06:00 PM
I tried bleaching once. My hair fell out in clumps!
Was years ago when I was in my teens, maybe now the formulas isn't so strong.
But haven't tried it since, don't want the same pain and loss.

SummerRogue
01-02-2015, 06:12 PM
I've been dying my hair since I was seven ish my mum only did it cause I was crying cause my sister was dying hers though we thought it wouldn't take cause we washed it out in like two mins but from then on I've had all the colours of the rainbow lol I think the blue is my fave

Mermaid Jaffa
01-02-2015, 06:15 PM
My fave that I've had, was a blue black that whenever I stood in the sun, my hair looked purple! They don't make this color like that anymore.

Mermaid Sirenia
01-02-2015, 09:06 PM
My fave that I've had, was a blue black that whenever I stood in the sun, my hair looked purple! They don't make this color like that anymore.
I had that last year! It looked black in regular light but whenever I moved you could see the purple tint. Then in sunlight I'd was BRIGHT purple

Mermaid Jaffa
01-03-2015, 02:05 AM
I had that last year! It looked black in regular light but whenever I moved you could see the purple tint. Then in sunlight I'd was BRIGHT purple

Can you which brand it was and the color name or number? I want to check the shelves next time I'm at the shops!

Mermaid Clarity
01-03-2015, 02:45 AM
A hair mask and a good conditioner will do a lot for you if you're looking into bleaching. I had blue/green streaks in my hair and I think they faded nicely, though I take pretty good care of my hair when it's colored. I don't know about other people but, chlorine doesn't mess up my hair as much as salt water, which is annoying. If you're worried about damage or fading, I recommend ombreing the ends of your hair with the lightest at the ends. That way, once the color fades, you still have blonde to dark ombre and then you can cut off the last inch or two which will take care of the worst damage to your hair. You maintain your hair health and look awesome in the process!

Mermaid Sam
01-03-2015, 03:17 AM
That's a good idea. I'd never be able to pull off an unnatural color and I admire those who can. Doing the tips of your hair would be pretty awesome, especially while you are swimming. It would look really cool!

Mermaid Jaffa
01-03-2015, 07:41 AM
I didn't have problems with chlorine until I had my hair professionally dyed at the salon.

Even those DIY kits didn't make my hair go crunchy during and after my swims.