PDA

View Full Version : Made a little something...

Lily
06-27-2014, 02:49 PM
So I have a (very) small side business designing t-shirts, mostly nerd stuff, for sale online. It's a running joke in my family that, when I was little, I was bound and determined to be a mermaid when I “grew up.” I was probably more disappointed about the nonexistence of Mermaid School than about not getting my letter from Hogwarts. However, since I don’t think I’ve ever properly “grown up,” I never needed to let go of that dream. To that end, I created a little "alumni pride" shirt that I thought some of you mers might like:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/mrsxandamere/works/12192502-mermaid-school?p=t-shirt

1078 is the year the Norman Chapel is Durham Castle was built, which contains one of the earliest artistic representations of a mermaid in England.

"Ad mari per aspera" translates, roughly, to "the rough road leads to the sea." This is a play on "ad astra per aspera," "the rough road leads to the stars," which is a popular university motto and is also engraved on a plaque honoring the astronauts who died on the Apollo 1.

Now to find a sea witch who’s covered by my health insurance to see about replacing these legs with some fins!

babsannee
06-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Cool!

GreenAsSin
06-27-2014, 03:52 PM
It's lovely! I'd totally throw some money at this and buy one if you put them up for sale somewhere. :]

Lily
06-27-2014, 07:09 PM
It's lovely! I'd totally throw some money at this and buy one if you put them up for sale somewhere. :]

Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.redbubble.com/people/mrsxandamere/works/12192502-mermaid-school?p=t-shirt

GreenAsSin
06-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Yay!

Lily
06-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Wow, thanks! Nice color choice, too! (I get an email specifying which type and color a person chooses whenever they buy something.)

GreenAsSin
06-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Hehe thanks. I absolutely adore the design and I don't at all mind supporting other members of the community. Can't wait to wear it!

Lily
06-27-2014, 11:05 PM
:mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Melanie
06-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Aw that's lovely chick ! I'll have to check out your website I'd love one ! There is mermaid school though :p I teach mermaid courses and in the Philippines they have some and also in Kuala Lumpur they have a school sort of called the mermaid mission !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lily
06-28-2014, 02:02 AM
My inner 4-year-old (and heck, my outer 28-year-old) is quite intrigued. Do you perchance give out actual diplomas? Because I need one of those in my wall, stat!