PDA

View Full Version : new mermaid & plus size too...lol

AmbrGlows
07-01-2014, 12:45 PM
I just wanted to say, "hello!" to all the merfolk's in Texas, especially DFW. While I may not have a mermaid tail just yet I've long been a mermaid at heart. Guess I was about 8 when I was allowed to ride my bike into town to spend the summer days at the pool with friends and the weekends had always been spent at the lake with family as far back as I can remember. My love for mermaids didn't really happen until I was about 12 and learned more about the story of Pisces. In recent months I've been wishing I could afford a tail from MerTailor or FinFolks but I can't. Then I found a great site with other tail makers listed. When I saw they made their tails out of swimwear fabric my search began for how to make my own tail. In my search for fabric I found this place. Blaze was the first person I met here that was super helpful and that made me even more excited about my decision to join and even more so about making my tail. And yes I'm a plus sized woman but I'm not letting that stop me. If it was possible to make an Ursula costume that I could swim in I totally would just for the giggles of it.

I know that was a mad mess of an intro but please stop by and say hello. I'm a night auditor so I'm up most nights is any of you are night owls too. I'm not on my personal Twitter much but I am on Facebook and Voxer. My info for those is in my profile.

Blaze
07-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Welcome! :D

Mermaid Enora
07-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Welcome!!!
Glad to have some more Texas mermaids.

AmbrGlows
07-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Welcome! :D thanks a million for your help today.

AmbrGlows
07-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Welcome!!!
Glad to have some more Texas mermaids.

Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to see your tail. You're more adventurous than me...when I finally make my tail it will only be fabric.

AmbrGlows
07-02-2014, 07:07 AM
How pretty would this be for a Koi (http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/11588) inspired tail?

Mermaid Enora
07-02-2014, 11:28 AM
I love koi tails and that fabric looks just perfect for it!

AmbrGlows
07-02-2014, 11:33 AM
I love koi tails and that fabric looks just perfect for it!

Will have to save for that one. It's $20 a yard plus shipping. Might be a good idea if my first tail was made of a not so challenging fabric too. I've never sewn sequin fabric before.

Mermaid Enora
07-02-2014, 11:45 AM
wow that is a lot.
Where did you find it at?

AmbrGlows
07-02-2014, 12:00 PM
SpandexWorld. I tried to make the word Koi a link but I don't know if it worked.

Mermaid Enora
07-02-2014, 12:19 PM
don't see any link
is there anything similar at joanne, michaels or hobby lobby?
You can use coupons online for those stores

AmbrGlows
07-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Nope. They have some sequin fabric but none that looks like koi scales.

I'm still searching though. I work the overnight shift so going to the stores has to wait until my nights off.

Mermaid Enora
07-02-2014, 12:35 PM
totally understand. I work 12 hour day shifts so my shopping has to wait till days off too.
Hope you find some more good koi fabrics.
maybe you could bleach a koi pattern into some other sequin material?

AmbrGlows
07-02-2014, 12:43 PM
I was planning to go Friday then I remembered it was a holiday so I'll go to the water park instead and go shopping on Saturday for material. No rush though because I still have to buy a monofin.

Blaze
07-02-2014, 12:47 PM
I was planning to go Friday then I remembered it was a holiday so I'll go to the water park instead and go shopping on Saturday for material. No rush though because I still have to buy a monofin.

When you say 'go' do you mean to the fabric district in Dallas? :D If not let me know; I am headed there on Saturday myself and can tell you where to check. There is a whole store only for spandex fabric. :D

AmbrGlows
07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
When you say 'go' do you mean to the fabric district in Dallas? :D If not let me know; I am headed there on Saturday myself and can tell you where to check. There is a whole store only for spandex fabric. :D

Dallas has a fabric district? How did I not know of this? Better yet why did my mother not know this? Shame on her Dallas native status for not knowing such important information. Where is this place that I must go to?

Blaze
07-02-2014, 01:38 PM
There are several stores on Perth street; http://www.yelp.com/biz/wherehouse-fabric-outlet-dallas is good for sparkly fabric but they don't carry stretch anymore; they sold it to the store next door which isn't listed but it's ALL STRETCH fabric. :)

And then one right down harry Hines a few blocks called 'Golden D'or' and they have a whole spandex room as well as a clearance section in the back you can sometimes find good deals at.

AmbrGlows
07-02-2014, 08:54 PM
AWESOME!!!!

PearlieMae
07-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Welcome to the network! For a state that seems very desert-like, there sure seems to be a lot of mermaids!

AmbrGlows
07-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Welcome to the network! For a state that seems very desert-like, there sure seems to be a lot of mermaids!

Texas isn't all desert-like...that's just West Texas. We have lots of lakes, a few good natural springs and some great beaches down on the Gulf...plus tons of pools and water parks. I guess our merfolk population is so big because we firmly believe water to be a great escape from the Texas heat...just my guess.

AmbrGlows
07-03-2014, 04:57 AM
Okay, I finally got all my inspirations put together into a thread under "Tail Making."

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?8426-Inspirations-for-first-tail-Help-me-pick-one

SweeteSiren
07-03-2014, 07:30 PM
I guess our merfolk population is so big because we firmly believe water to be a great escape from the Texas heat...just my guess.

Truer words were never spoken!

Seatan
07-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Welcome fellow Texan! Don't feel bad that you didn't know about the fabric district--I have lived here my whole life and did not, either! I MUST check it out, OMG I am such a huge crafter! How did I not know this? If you would like to get together and work on making a fabric tail, I would love that. I sold my silicone and am just starting to make a fabric one for myself, and I LOVE having crafting partners!

Pearlie, I think you're thinking of VERY west Texas close to New Mexico. Most of Texas is pretty lush with greenery and woods, though the hot sun often dries up the rivers by the end of the summer. There are plenty of natural and man made lakes, though, and everybody here waters like CRAZY so we all have bright green lawns, LOL. (That's probably where the river water goes!!!!!) Central Texas has great trees--in fact, my house was built in a pecan grove! :)

AmbrGlows
07-07-2014, 03:52 PM
The place in Dallas the Blaze told me about is Dallas Spandex at 2631 Perth Street Dallas, TX 75220. Great selection!

Why did you sell your silicone tail? I wish I could afford one...they look so real compared to fabric tails.

Working on tails together could be fun.

Blaze
07-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Welcome fellow Texan! Don't feel bad that you didn't know about the fabric district--I have lived here my whole life and did not, either! I MUST check it out, OMG I am such a huge crafter! How did I not know this? If you would like to get together and work on making a fabric tail, I would love that. I sold my silicone and am just starting to make a fabric one for myself, and I LOVE having crafting partners!

I literally live 15 minutes from the district & have given 'tours' many, many times. Would be happy to do so again. :D I work weekdays now though (except for every other Friday) so Saturday mornings are best for me.

I also have a large hardwood floor living room & ceramic tiled kitchen; lotsa room for crafting and pugs/cats who are used to it. :D

PearlieMae
07-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Hahaha! Point taken!

But I have been to there many, many times and one thing in common everywhere I've been in Texas...IT'S HOT!

A Texan friend of mine once lamented..."Texas. It's a big place to get out of."

AmbrGlows
07-07-2014, 08:55 PM
It is both HOT and big. It's said by some that we have only 2 seasons...winter and summer.

Mermaid Enora
07-08-2014, 12:19 AM
crazy weather all the time but I love it all the more!

Sherielle
07-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Welcome Amber!
I am so jealous of the fabric district in Dallas. All we have in Houston is High Fashion Fabrics

AmbrGlows
07-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Welcome Amber!
I am so jealous of the fabric district in Dallas. All we have in Houston is High Fashion Fabrics
Houston isn't so far away. You should come up for a shopping trip. I might even be able to get you a discount on a hotel room.

Seatan
07-15-2014, 08:46 PM
We should all make a MERry trip to the fabric district together! I am always looking for great fabrics to add to my craft room!

AmbrGlows
07-15-2014, 08:59 PM
We should all make a MERry trip to the fabric district together! I am always looking for great fabrics to add to my craft room!
Blaze said she'd be a guide...maybe her offer still stands.

Seatan
07-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Blaze you are being called upon by your pod to lend us your noble knowledge and lead us on a magical journey toward the kingdom of fabric! (Just don't die on us and come back as Blaze, the White Rose of Texas!)

MerDragon Arie
07-21-2014, 10:27 PM
I would LOVE to have a fabric tail too! We should all meet up and go on a grand adventure to the fabric store!! WOO! I bet my other two mersisters would love to go as well! I also have other ideas for fabric! I am going to be cosplaying a LOT pretty soon! This is all so exciting!

Blaze
07-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Blaze you are being called upon by your pod to lend us your noble knowledge and lead us on a magical journey toward the kingdom of fabric! (Just don't die on us and come back as Blaze, the White Rose of Texas!)

LOL I would be happy to lead people around the district but I am booked up for Saturday mornings the next two weekends & Saturday is really the only day I can get down there these days. If you'd like to wait till August 8 I'd be happy to lead one.