PDA

View Full Version : Tail Carrying Bags - What makes a good one?

Blaze
07-11-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm looking to either purchase or create a tail bag for my upcoming silicone tail and having no experience with them yet I thought I would post here and see if people had suggestions on what to look for and/or create.

Aspects I think are important:

Size - Each tail would be different obviously but what is the best way to see what size you need? How does the tail lay in the bag? How does the fluke lay?

Shape

Straps / Portability - positioning and length?

Material - Better for it to be absorbent or quick drying? Mesh anywhere? Wash-ability? Strength?

Anything else you can think of?

AniaR
07-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Mermaid Sephina made me a tail bag and I love it. She's on here, I suggest PMing her and asking!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10464064_10154378306965425_4394167755787845032_n.j pg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10406385_10154268067440425_522566999039003333_n.jp g

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/1688927_10153854524735425_505009357_n.jpg

teeth4u
07-11-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm very interested in finding a more efficient way to travel with my tail! The bag I currently use is just a giant tote but it's still a little small. The fluke sticks out the top a bit. If anyone has any ideas for this I would love to hear them!

Mermaid Tula
07-11-2014, 06:00 PM
I used an old cloth shower curtain to make my bag. I measured my fluke at the widest and how long it was and then added a couple of inches to the material. I made straps from the same stuff and it works out well.

MermaidBrandie
07-11-2014, 06:01 PM
I had a lady on etsy that makes surfboard bags make mine. I had to put my own straps on it because her's didn't hold up, but i love the bag itself and now that I have new straps it works great.

Blaze
07-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Tell me about your bags! What are they made of? What do you like about them? What would you change?

Firemaid
07-11-2014, 11:07 PM
I use a nice bike messenger bag!
You can totally take it as a carry on for flights plus the weight distribution is perfect :) !

Aquarianne
07-11-2014, 11:08 PM
You can sew a good nylon bag yourself, with the right pattern! I used to take large and odd-shaped art pieces to conventions, so I started making my own portfolio bags for them. Worked really well and I was able to customize them to my own size and shape. Basically you just get a bunch of ripstop nylon fabric (from JoAnns or wherever), lay out two pieces and cut out the outline you want...probably not the entire outline of your tail, as that would be rather huge. Maybe fold the tail in half and trace around that?

Then sew the pieces together, leaving the top seams open. Finish the seams and maybe add a zipper if you like. Since tails are heavy, reinforce the seams with a zigzag stitch (I use a serger). Then get some thick nylon belt trim and sew on two handles. Snappy! :D

Mermaid Fenicia
07-12-2014, 03:58 AM
I made my bag of some fake leather and straps from an old backpack that I had laying around. I used my biggest monofin as a template to cut the fabric and made it like the ones they sale online.

WavyMermaidy
07-12-2014, 08:39 AM
I just got a big swatch of material from Joann's (basic cotton materials with dolphins on it...dries pretty quickly) and folded it over and sewed. I used an old thick belt as a strap (also makes the length adjustable, which is nice) and attached that to corduroy strips used to reinforce the seams. My silicone tail's fluke is very floppy so it all gets in the bag easily. With something that heavy and floppy it's still so awkward to carry but it does the trick...nothing has ripped or anything like that. I still throw that in a foldable beach cart when I can. I haven't washed my bag but it is washable.

Talia
07-12-2014, 01:02 PM
I had a lady on etsy that makes surfboard bags make mine. I had to put my own straps on it because her's didn't hold up, but i love the bag itself and now that I have new straps it works great.

Please, let us know about this lady! Do you still have her shop name?

MermaidBrandie
07-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Her name was LaurelsRiches but it seems she's not around anymore :( If you find someone who makes cheap bags I'm sure they can make you one tho. The only thing that had to be changed one mine was that the straps weren't strong enough to handle my tail when it was wet (neoprene) and they broke so I have to have a friend put new ones on.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/Coyote-Walker/2014-07-14134458.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Coyote-Walker/media/2014-07-14134458.jpg.html)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/Coyote-Walker/2014-07-14134508.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Coyote-Walker/media/2014-07-14134508.jpg.html)

I love it because the material is an old outdoor advertisement, so it's essentially made from a heavy duty tarp. The second pic is a close up of the straps, we had to had button snaps on them so that the straps could both be useful AND let me get the tail in and out of the bag easy since it had a messenger bag style flap. :)

Triton-Mahtlinnie
07-14-2014, 04:17 PM
I made my own tail bag. Traced the shape of my fluke, then cut it out. I used a nylon material, then lined the inside with clear plastic. (I bicycle to and from swimming a lot, so it was important to me that my bag wouldn't get everything around it wet) Sewed straps in so it can be work as a backpack, and also put a pocket on the front so that it can hold my towel/lube/swimsuit/ect.

Ayla of Duluth
07-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Once I get my finfolk tail, I'll be making my own bag. I used to use an artist portfolio for my merbellas tail, which worked surprisingly well with the wider fluke shape. Sadly, my last assistant purposefully ruined it because he was moving to the cities and wasn't going to leave on a good note.

My new tail bag will be made of the same type of canvas material but double layered for extra durability, the seams where the zipper and straps attach will be reinforced with E6000 (because that stuff works wonders) and the inside of it will be lined with towel material to absorb water.

I'm thinking it will be in the shape of the fluke itself, with the zipper at the top of the fluke away from the tips, so when I unzip it to put the tail in, the fluke tips go in first and the weight of the tail rests in the middle of the fluke on the V part where the two tips branch off. That way, they won't have to be bent to fit in the bag. That part will be padded so the bag doesn't do damage to that spot in the tail. Thinking about making almost the whole bag open up so that I can add straps to the inside to help support the weight of the fluke against the bag.

Just my idea for my tail bag :)

MermaidCelesteFL
07-22-2014, 09:26 PM
I just use a very large duffel bag for mine. Considering my fluke is very floppy and the monofin inside is just a Foil, the whole thing folds up very neatly on the inside and doesn't get everything positively soaked once it's wet in the bag.

Chrissy
07-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Mermaid Sephina is making mine!!! I cant wait!!!!

Mermaid Sephina made me a tail bag and I love it. She's on here, I suggest PMing her and asking!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10464064_10154378306965425_4394167755787845032_n.j pg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10406385_10154268067440425_522566999039003333_n.jp g

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/1688927_10153854524735425_505009357_n.jpg

spottedcatfish
07-23-2014, 02:38 PM
I have a monofin waterways bag I got off of ebay, currently it's really big and probably could hold my tail and a number of other things in it. I have yet to use it, but I plan to soon! :-P

Mermaid Melanie
07-25-2014, 02:01 PM
SpecialFins make pretty sturdy fin bags ! I think Arion got one recently !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princess Pearl
11-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Fin Fun just started selling branded bags for carrying tails and mono fins. I think they'd probably work for any sort of fabric tail with a separate, similarly shaped monofin. They're currently out of stock, but I might lay some hints and see if I can get one for Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mermaid Jaffa
11-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Has anyone tried using those big art portfolio bags?

TaurielTheElementMerfairy
11-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Fin Fun just started selling branded bags for carrying tails and mono fins. I think they'd probably work for any sort of fabric tail with a separate, similarly shaped monofin. They're currently out of stock, but I might lay some hints and see if I can get one for Christmas.

Hi there Princess Pearl. I just got my Fin Fun tail, bikini top, bikini bottom, tankini top, and monofin on 10/30/14 and they didn't have my matching swim shorts in my size or color so I couldn't order them.
But when they are available and when I can, I would like to get it with a matching headband, tote bag, and Barbie outfit cause I love their stuff so much that I would buy everything that I said above to go with everything that I already have.
Do you know when the matching shorts and tote bag will be available again in my color and size so that when I have the money saved up I can buy them as soon as I can?
Also do you know if I should make my Mer Facebook and YouTube pages now or do you think I should just upload them to my pages that I have now?
Cause I have a unboxing video of me opening everything and I have a few pics from Halloween but I don't know if I should put them up on my pages I have now or make my Mer pages and post them there.
Please let me know as soon as you can about everything that I said above and as soon as I can I'll take pics of me wearing everything and in the box still in the bags and I'll post them on the Fin Fun thread as soon as I can.
:D :) :D :) :D :)

Talia
11-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Has anyone tried using those big art portfolio bags?

I have a portfolio bag. It is big enough for my MagicTail. It is a bit troublesome to travel with it - I have mainly used it on trains, and I was afraid to leave it in the luggage rack because it is not very sturdy and I was afraid someone would put something heavy on top and break the monofin. It traveled between the last two seats in the wagon and the wall behind them. Nobody complained, and it came out perfectly after 4 trips. I have not used it on a plane though.

Here is a video to give you an idea how big it is and how the tail fits inside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQM5xeNygxc&list=PLK4Z9h74dTrkY2laRWYC7eVm UHYsbnVU2

Princess Pearl
11-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Do you know when the matching shorts and tote bag will be available again in my color and size so that when I have the money saved up I can buy them as soon as I can?
Also do you know if I should make my Mer Facebook and YouTube pages now or do you think I should just upload them to my pages that I have now?
Please let me know as soon as you can about everything that I said above and as soon as I can I'll take pics of me wearing everything and in the box still in the bags and I'll post them on the Fin Fun thread as soon as I can.

Hi, Rebekah!

I don't have any official connection to Fin Fun- I'm just a fan. I don't know any more than what they post on their website. I know that you can sign up for updates and they send you an e-mail when the thing you want is back in stock.

As for setting up mermaid social media accounts, I created mine as soon as I decided on names. That way no one else could get them first :lol: However, that's starting to get really off topic. Back to bags!

Yulia
11-09-2014, 06:54 PM
I found this new Ikea-bag, I'm totally going to buy it.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90149148/

Mermaid Jaffa
11-09-2014, 06:59 PM
I pack the tail skin into my bag pack and carry the monofin.

As for the portfolio bags, can try the ones with a harder case instead of the canvas ones.

They look like these but are made of plastic cardboard and have a sturdy plastic handle.

http://www.hummel-buch.de/Dura-Portfolio-Zeichenmappe-A2

Talia,

I can't tell if you have plastic pockets or pages, they usually come with the portfolio when you buy it. Can stuff some bubble wrap into the pages inside of the folio. That way your monofin is protected from breakage if something heavy sits on it. Make it so the bubble wrap sits flat inside of it, not all bulgy and ugly.

PhaylennMurúch
11-10-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm working on making a custom bag, it's going to be similar to an Irish Dance dress bag. 25358

with a custom sized space for the fluke

Kitaronicus
11-10-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm probably going to use my portfolio bag.

Princess Pearl
11-11-2014, 12:17 AM
Phaylenn, that's an awesome idea! And something like that would be great for mers with heavy silicone tails- carrying around a 50 lb tail is a lot easier with wheels!

TaurielTheElementMerfairy
02-03-2015, 02:14 AM
Hi everyone. Since I have my Artic Blue mermaid tail with monofin, bikini top, bikini bottom and tankini top from Fin Fun.
I'm thinking of when I can of getting the matching shorts when they have them, matching headband, Barbie outfit, but I'm not sure if I wanna get the matching tote bag from them or the large portfolio bag seen in the video above.
Cause if I get a tote bag, I would like to be able to put in it 2 tails and matching tops with accessories in it and I'm thinking of getting another color from them with the same stuff that my blue tail has but I just don't know what tote bag to get when I can.
If you can help me out with everything that I said above please either leave me a comment here or you can send me a pm on Facebook messenger as soon as you can and my name there is Rebekah Leigh.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-03-2015, 02:30 AM
Hi everyone. Since I have my Artic Blue mermaid tail with monofin, bikini top, bikini bottom and tankini top from Fin Fun.
I'm thinking of when I can of getting the matching shorts when they have them, matching headband, Barbie outfit, but I'm not sure if I wanna get the matching tote bag from them or the large portfolio bag seen in the video above.
Cause if I get a tote bag, I would like to be able to put in it 2 tails and matching tops with accessories in it and I'm thinking of getting another color from them with the same stuff that my blue tail has but I just don't know what tote bag to get when I can.
If you can help me out with everything that I said above please either leave me a comment here or you can send me a pm on Facebook messenger as soon as you can and my name there is Rebekah Leigh.

I bring my tail and fin in a regular bagpack. It fits everything including several snacks, a large drink bottle, shampoo, soap, and even a blanket bag which I use to put my wet stuff into.